The Dis Exclusive City of Knights and Lights Trip 10/8 - 10/17/2012

Discussion in 'DIS Adventures by Disney Trips' started by DisneyKevin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

To tell you the truth, I wish we had given even more. I wished I could have known what others did, but of course would never dream of asking. I just wanted to make sure we had taken care of them sufficiently. They went above and beyond, in my opinion. I would have brought them home with us if we could have. LOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. fsufan53

fsufan53 Earning My Ears

4. mattincanberra

mattincanberra Mouseketeer

I usually travel as much as possible without Cash, and grab a small amour from an ATM (Think 40 pounds ish) to keep in my wallet for coffee/water/bottle of coke kind of purchases.

One thing to be aware of, if you are carrying pounds that you want to exchange for euros the exchange rates at the St Pancras were a complete rip off. I really would suggest keeping your exposure to "Real money" as limited as you can.

Mastercard and Visa cards will be almost universally accepted, American Express a little less so - figure out the fees for each card - I have one that is better for getting cash with, and another that has a lower fee for purchases.

I couldn't tell you how much I spent, but it didn't feel excessive, it will depend on what kind of restaurants etc you want to go to.

5. DisneyKevin

DisneyKevin Kelvis Moderator

6. DisneyKevin

Taxis were similar to NYC taxis, but bigger.

London taxis seat 5 comfortably.

7. DisneyKevin

Please welcome Dustin, Shaun and William to the party!

:dance3:

This is Dustin, Shaun and William dancing. Make sure you ask to see them do it in person..

8. LionKingRules84

LionKingRules84 Mouseketeer

:wave2: Welcome Dustin, William and Shaun! The more the merrier! :yay:

I will gladly join in the dancing if it is asked. :dance3:

9. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

We finished lunch at Harrods, shopped for a bit (daughter could have stayed in the equestrian department for hours!), took the tube and got lost for an hour, looking for the TKTS booth. (dopey me was looking at the map upside down @@). Found the TKTS booth, purchased our tickets to that evenings performance of Les Miz, took the tube back to Chancery Court, and had a wonderful afternoon tea in the hotel lounge
    , time to clean up, and out to jump in a cab for our evening performance! (theatre on the West End was on our must do list !)

10. LionKingRules84

Harrods has an equestrian department?! Looks like I'll be spending more time in Harrods than I thought. :) I know of a stable about 20 minutes by tube(although pretty much everything I've looked into is about 20 mins, the Chancery Court seems awesome for that) that also has a tack shop that I plan on trying to visit if I have time. If Harrods has what I'm looking for I may not have to take the trip but visiting a stable might be fun though.

11. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

The equestrian department was awesome!! We bought DD two official Team GB Olympic polos - one long sleeved and one short sleeved. She is the envy of her entire college equestrian team!! ;-)

12. WebmasterShaun

WebmasterShaun Mouseketeer

Hi Everyone! I am so looking forward to this trip - I can hardly wait!

:yay:

I had a really nice time chatting with everyone last night too!

13. LionKingRules84

As am I! :yay: Enjoyed chatting with you too! As well as everyone else that was there.

Slightly off topic but just watched a movie called 'Paris' off of netflix just now and I really liked it. It takes place in Paris and is in French and the subtitles are pretty close and only a few characters speak extremely fast so they are easy to understand in French. It doesn't really have a plot it's basically a bunch of stories of people and the city of Paris. Kinda like the movie 'Crash' only A LOT less dramatic. Got me excited for the trip actually so thought I would share. :)

14. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

If anyone is going to be spending a few extra Pre-days in London, it might be worth looking into the information below. We used our Oyster Cards all over London and loved it. Once the Adventure begins, the guides will give you Tube passes if you need them.

15. fsufan53

fsufan53 Earning My Ears

Whay about adapters for the outlets when I need to charge my phone, etc.? Do I really need one and where is the best place to buy?

16. jcb

jcb always emerging from hibernation

You should read Mike's post: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2799671

I ordered mine from Amazon.

17. whodini

whodini Mouseketeer

Your phone charger is actually dual voltage. I'm going to pick up a good world travel adapter and then use my travel surge protector for my equipment.

Check out something like this, which also includes a built-in USB port - http://www.amazon.com/Tripshell-WOR...5301&sr=1-1&keywords=world+travel+adapter+usb

18. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

From our adventure last year...

And you have to use the UK plug on the Eurostar until you get to France, then you have to change to the France plug on the train. :rolleyes1

19. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

Best buy and radio shack had adapters, too, if you don't want to order online. Just make sure you get a UK and a European adapter. The ones in UK are different than Paris. :-)

20. fsufan53

fsufan53 Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much, we found an adapter package at Target that has adapters for UK and France so I think we are covered.

Next question! LOL I saw where some of you tipped the ABD guides in Pounds or Euros, however could I tip them via an American check? I dont want to carry much currency.

Thanks

21. DisneyKevin

At this point, we dont know who our guides will be.

Last year, we had a guide from London and one from the US.

If we had a US guide again, a check might not be an issue. If our guides are European, checks might be very, very difficult to handle and there is the possibility that they might not be cashable at all.

If you have a debit card, you should be able to use European ATMS.

It would be far easier on our guides to receive cash as a tip.

At our welcome dinner last year, we asked where each of our guides were headed after our Adventure. Landon (American) was headed back to the states, so we tipped him in US dollars. Adam (British) was headed back to London, so he was tipped in pounds.

You have to make sure you take the conversion rate in account when dealing with gratuities.

Please understand that I am not telling you what you must do. There is no "must". I'm just offering an opinion.