The DIS Dad's Club IV - Man Laws & Cheese Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a system designed by the same people responsible for the Central Indiana tornado warning system... no warning until after a tornado had already come and gone yesterday.

Stay safe!

We had tornado activity yesterday? :confused3 Who knew?!?! :rotfl: Go figure. All that rain and those super dark clouds... huh. Gotta love the lack of warning.

We had tornado activity yesterday? :confused3 Who knew?!?! :rotfl: Go figure. All that rain and those super dark clouds... huh. Gotta love the lack of warning.

Yep, one in Southern Johnson County... close to the same area as the one on Tuesday. It was actually sunny and clear here at work, with dark clouds to the NW. One of the guys working outside came in and said he thought he had just seen a tornado a few min ago... :confused3 We kind of brushed it off, nothing on the radar, no watches/warnings on tv. Half hour later on the 4 O'clock news on channel 59 they were talking about a tornado that just hit near Bargersville. Not a big one, they were actually calling it a ground spout, just tore up a barn and some corn fields. They've had video of it all over the news this morning though, don't you ever turn the TV on??? ;)

Edit: Just saw somewhere that now they're saying it was near Greenwood... not that the Indianapolis TV stations are always 100% reliable, but if it was that far north, there is no way anybody saw it from here yesterday.

Are you guys still accepting members? I think I'm a DisDad. :thumbsup2

Indeed! I mean, there's a written test and background check but you'll probably be accepted. Just be sure not to stray off-topic....(just kidding)

Emma's dad will be around shortly to give you your member #.

:welcome:

OK... guess I should throw out my list of things to know about Don.

1. When deciding what I was going to do with my life after high school, I had the following to choose from:
* Attend Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and become an aerospace engineer
* Attend Columbus College of Art & Design (I won second place in their nation-wide scholarship contest)
* Join the Navy and become a nuclear power operator
Well... the Navy won.

2. Spent 8 1/2 years in the US Navy as an Electronics Technician, Nuclear Power Operator. Spent 4 years on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower (CVN-69), a year as a Navy Recruiter in Port Charlotte, FL, and the rest on USS George Washington (CVN-73). Only did one Med cruise while on the Ike (CVN-69) in '94 and was able to visit the following ports:
Jebel Ali, U.A.E.
Cannes, France
Trieste, Italy
Naples, Italy
Haifa, Israel
Antalya, Turkey
Rhodes, Greece
Palma, Mallorca, Spain
We participated in the following operations during that deployment:
Operation Deny Flight
Operation Southern Watch
Operation Vigilant Warrior
Operation Provide Promise
Operation Sharp Guard

BUT... I think the coolest thing we did on the Ike was Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti. We had just finished our sea trials getting ready for our Med deployment in late '94 when everyone was called to the ship. We had no idea what was going on. The next day we started loading the carrier with the US Army 10th Mountain Division (approx. 2000 soldiers and 56 helicopters). That night we started sailing straight to Haiti to drop off these soldiers. Everyone was locking and loading the arsenal on the way down... staging areas were set up on the mess decks and hanger decks. Ammo, grenades, everything they needed to get ready was getting rationed. Really wish we had the technology back then that we do now cause I would have recorded that operation. Was cool watching the helicopters flying between the carrier and the island for hours at a time. Oh... and I can tell you that carrier was doing in excess of 30 knots on the way there :thumbsup2 (I was the throttleman for #4 shaft for 4 hours at one point) Good times.

If I can find any pictures, Rob, I'll post them up here. I know I don't have any digital ones, but might have some to scan. I REALLY wished I have taken some when I was in the bottom of the dry dock with all 100,000 tons over my head :scared1:

2. How do I follow that up? Ummm... yeah... I was in choir in high school. Also part of a traveling show choir at the same time. I got to play the part of Elvis in several productions. Apparently I did a pretty good King impersonation at the time :lmao:

3. I am currently the worship leader at our church. Cannot play a single musical instrument, but I can sing pretty good.

4. I'm kind-of a jack of all trades. From remodeling our house to rebuilding the engine in my old '88 Honda Accord to tuning a piano... I like to find stuff I've never done before, read about how it's done, then just do it.

5. Geek alert - I am currently a Software Engineer (by title) for the company I work for. But right now I am doing the job of a Business Intelligence Developer. Fancy way to say I take data and transform it into something our executive leadership folks can understand. It's the newest trend in data analysis. I like learning new technology.

Another Dis-loving Dad here (as is probably obvious from my member title . . . or maybe not, if you don't speak any Chinese. :rotfl:) who never knew this thread existed. How many times will I need to say "thank you sir, may I have another" to pass the initiation?

We sure are! Always looking for a few good men :thumbsup2 Welcome! You are member # 482! :thumbsup2

Another Dis-loving Dad here (as is probably obvious from my member title . . . or maybe not, if you don't speak any Chinese. :rotfl:) who never knew this thread existed. How many times will I need to say "thank you sir, may I have another" to pass the initiation?

Again... and again... and again... :lmao: Glad you found us! You are member # 483! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB! :welcome:

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list :thumbsup2

After two years on the DIS I had no idea this thread was out here. After posting a thread of my own today about losing my "man card"' I have discovered there are almost 500 men on the DIS who are just like me. :lmao:

If there is room for one more you can add me to the list. :thumbsup2

Just got back a few hours ago from Busch Gardens VA. It was AWESOME:goodvibes. The 1st night we meet up with DW's cousin & family around 7, when they got there he said let's do it your way :scared1:(they have SP and go all the time, plus he wanted to see my plan of action:lmao:) O.K. open for 3hrs yet, this is what we did, 7pm saw the sideshow in Ireland, 7:15 Celtic dance show in the Abby (awesome show totally changed from past years), off to France to catch the parade (found the best spot in front of the smokehouse), off to Germany to ride Dark Castle (line was short:woohoo:) off to see the Worlds largest living Coo Coo Clock wait DS sees a Minion from Dispicable Me that he wants :woohoo: gobblet game got one with the 2nd ball, wife not happy:scared1: it was the large one:confused3, back to the clock, it was a really cool show:goodvibes, hit some of the rides in Germany before fireworks, they said the best place to see them was the bridge, but IMO the garden in Italy was a much better view, without the crowd. After the fireworks 15mins left, off to Apollo's chariot (DS had it sit this one out) got off 8mins left, hit 2 rides in the garden in Italy:cool1: Park closed off to England for funnel cakes, by the time we got back to the van there were 50 cars max, left in the parking lot:lmao:
This was all done in 3hrs:scared1:
My DW's cousin said he will be looking into SOG for the week we will be at WDW in Dec, also said he be getting in contact with me to find out how to become a member of The Dis Dads Club:yay:

I didn't get to meet up with Don this trip, but hopefully we will get to meet up next time, DW is thinking about a few days in August, but we will be there for Hallow Scream at the end of Sept.

It has been about 30 years since I have been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. The Loch Ness Monster was my first loop coaster. I had a great time there and would love to go back. I know I would enjoy Colonial Williamsburg much more than I did as a hyperactive 10 year old boy.

We want to take a short trip over Labor Day, and I think it will be Williamsburg or Mammoth Caves and Gatlinburg. I think you just pushed Williamsburg into the lead!:thumbsup2

10 years. A decade. A 10th of a century. The number of commandments given to Moses and the Israelites. The number representing my birth month...October. The number of fingers on the average person's hands, or toes on their feet. The number of cookies I ate yesterday...oops, I didn't mean to let that one slip out. Wow. How time flies. We were living back in So. Cal 10 years ago.

That's very cool Barry. Congrats. Hopefully Bambi will put up with you several more decades and you can reach your golden anniversary. ;)
I know it's a while - but don't forget to honk when you pass through, or will you be flying for that trip?
...the number that the judges hold up whenever I walk by...
We will be driving. Down will be the evening of Aug 25, back north late on the 28th. I really hope we don't have to stop in Lebanon again. (For the new guys, feel free to check out this link from my last trip report for the yak story - sorry, I mean back story - on that)

Pictures!!! I need to see this particular chapel.
The church is a regular, cow-free building. But that would be awesome. We will be back near that area this weekend. I'll see if I can swing by and get a few shots.

Yah, I forgot to add rockets to that list of machines that completely fascinate me. Needless to say, the folks in my family are not among those that thought the space program was a waste of time.
I used to build model rockets when I was a kid. The kind with the solid fuel engines that you would launch, retrieve, and launch again. Well, out of curiosity, I took a rocket build for an "A" engine, and launched it with a "C" engine. For those not familiar, "B" is twice as powerful as an "A", and "C" is twice as powerful as a "B". I'm still waiting for that particular rocket's orbit to degrade enough for it to burn up in the atmosphere. :rotfl2:

You jumped right on to one of the goofier ones there, didn’t you (what are you a Dis-Dad or something?)
::yes:: :thumbsup2

4) My job isn't that 'important' but I'm a mobile DJ. I DJ about 40-50 weddings a year and DJ a total of 140 jobs for a company and for myself.
Which would be why you disappear from the boards every June, huh? :rotfl2:

9) I've been married for 6 years (this September) and we hope to go back to Hawaii (where we went on our honeymoon) for our 10 year anniversary.
We honeymooned in Aruba, and it was also our plan to get back there for our 10 year. Well, you know how things go. It's now our plan to get back there for our 15. :confused3

Always! Welcome aboard.

Welcome! You can skip the paddling line by buying a round of Dole Whips.

After two years on the DIS I had no idea this thread was out here. After posting a thread of my own today about losing my "man card"' I have discovered there are almost 500 men on the DIS who are just like me. :lmao:

Welcome! You didn't lose your man card - you got upgraded to Platinum!

For all the new fellas - feel free to kick in anything. "Off Topic" never seems to apply here, as everything is "On Topic" for us. Just be forwarned, this thread is getting close to ending due to the size. Emma's Dad will be starting Dis Dad's Club V soon, so we'll drive the party bus over there and set up shop on the new lawn soon.

Welcome to the club! We are glad you finally found us.:thumbsup2

Welcome aboard! Here's your new man card :) You are member # 484! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB! :welcome:

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list :thumbsup2

I have read the rules and bylaws and believe I am ready to become a member if ya'll will have me.

Pictures!!! I need to see this particular chapel.

I was able to find it on Google Street View! The place is called Romy's Nitengale. It is one of the most popular spots for wedding receptions in the very rural area that I grew up in. The Broasted Chicken is devine. :thumbsup2

Romys.JPG

I used to build model rockets when I was a kid. The kind with the solid fuel engines that you would launch, retrieve, and launch again. Well, out of curiosity, I took a rocket build for an "A" engine, and launched it with a "C" engine. For those not familiar, "B" is twice as powerful as an "A", and "C" is twice as powerful as a "B". I'm still waiting for that particular rocket's orbit to degrade enough for it to burn up in the atmosphere. :rotfl2:

Looks like something I'd try to do, only I'd probably be trying to find ways to piggyback multiple C engines (you should see my fireworks displays:thumbsup2). I've never messed with model rockets, but now that you have me curious, I might have to do some research.

I have read the rules and bylaws and believe I am ready to become a member if ya'll will have me.

Of course we'll have you! Welcome to the club!

But, there does seem to be a problem with the color in your avatar. It's a little too red and white, and not enough green and gold.
Green-Bay-Packers-Helmet-2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter