The difficulties of a large group

with a 10 day ticket i was able to get free dining for all 15 days. I was REALLY angry when i found out that the wedding no longer included annual passes (we were originally going for 18 days) i had to totally rework our plans.

You can upgrade your pass when you arrive. It will not affect your free dining.

Unfortunately, they use creative wording on their reservations. Despite the fact that they are called Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) I think there's another word they use to reflect that it's just a place in line. It means you'll be seated near your time, and much faster than anyone trying to just walk up, but there's no stated guarantee to give you a table at that precise time. Some restaurants at WDW are worse about it than others (I have heard and experienced that Whispering Canyon Café is notoriously off schedule) but I don't know at all about Teppan Edo. Most WDW restaurants won't work on seating you until your entire party is there, so I'm not sure that calling on your way will be any help. However, it can't hurt! It might be a good idea to call even now (try at an off time of the afternoon) and ask to speak to a manager to explain that it will be your wedding dinner and ask whether there's anything you can do to make sure it goes smoothly on the day.

ya i think that is a good idea

You can upgrade your pass when you arrive. It will not affect your free dining.

The better questions is what are the chances of trading our Pirate room for a king bed or... not a Pirate room in the middle of no where.

I They wont get your table ready until everyone is there - they are generally a "deal with one problem at a time". So until the whole group is there, it's not even on their radar and they won't try to organize a table.
This is true, but I wish to clarify- many times we were seated well past our ADR time slot, despite showing up at least 15min early WITH the entire group.

The problem isn't being on their radar, it is that they have an odd system. During one particularly egregious situation, we CLEARLY saw at least TWO other groups about the same size as us- were SEATED AHEAD of us, despite arriving AFTER us. We were told that each party is assigned to a specific table, and that you are only seated when THAT table is vacated.

To make matters worse, when we finally complained emphatically, the manager said she'd OVER RIDE the system, but we had to cram our party of 12 into a table meant for 10. She made a BIG deal about how she was making some big exception for us.

Now get this- in that case, our ADR was supposed to be about 7pm. We were seated PAST 8pm, and we were SURROUNDED with EMPTY 10 and 12 seat tables! It was reminiscent of a Monty Python sketch!

I've been seated 30+minutes late at: BOG, Boma, Tusker House, P Time Café, Mama Melrose (also very slow to get food), Coral Reef, Le Cellier (admittedly, a while ago. It was SO bad, we've avoided it), Via Napoli, Tokyo Dining, La Hacienda de San Angel (very slow with a group), Liberty TT, C Palace, 1900PF, GF Café, Boatwright's, Bongo's, House of Blues, and 'Ohana. Plus a number of places that no longer exist, like Kat Cora's TS at the Boardwalk.

For your ACTUAL WEDDING day celebration-WDW is likely to give you great service!

Calling ahead isn't a bad idea. It is a bit tricky to get exact phone numbers, but it is possible to call a restaurant directly.

You can also NOTE the event on your ADR. You do that via regular WDW dining with a phone call, but I've always thought that would be part of a wedding celebration.

At times, WDW does give great service. Many CM's go above and beyond, ESPECIALLY if you have a special celebration. Truly, that's why we have been to WDW so many times.

Unfortunately, I think part of the problem is that in recent years WDW has moved towards automated systems that have become less personable and less flexible- if that makes sense. Great service used to be a hallmark of WDW. Many times, in years past, we were wowed with great service. I think that's why the cutbacks are so frustrating for so many of us. Many very nice CM's STILL work at WDW, they just don't have the liberty they once had.

It is also possible that the CM's will sprinkle fairy dust beyond your wedding day. When I say being seated late is something that may well happen, I am talking about your POST wedding touring days.

A great many weddings happen at WDW every year. Absolutely read about others' experiences! But I imagine WDW REALLY wants to preserve their WEDDING business, and that they still offer personal service during WEDDINGS. I'll also add, when I've seen floral arrangements and custom cakes at WDW, they have been absolutely AMAZING. The outdoor wedding set up's I've seen have also been very attractive.

This is true, but I wish to clarify- many times we were seated well past our ADR time slot, despite showing up at least 15min early WITH the entire group.

The problem isn't being on their radar, it is that they have an odd system. During one particularly egregious situation, we CLEARLY saw at least TWO other groups about the same size as us- were SEATED AHEAD of us, despite arriving AFTER us. We were told that each party is assigned to a specific table, and that you are only seated when THAT table is vacated.

To make matters worse, when we finally complained emphatically, the manager said she'd OVER RIDE the system, but we had to cram our party of 12 into a table meant for 10. She made a BIG deal about how she was making some big exception for us.

Now get this- in that case, our ADR was supposed to be about 7pm. We were seated PAST 8pm, and we were SURROUNDED with EMPTY 10 and 12 seat tables! It was reminiscent of a Monty Python sketch!

I've been seated 30+minutes late at: BOG, Boma, Tusker House, P Time Café, Mama Melrose (also very slow to get food), Coral Reef, Le Cellier (admittedly, a while ago. It was SO bad, we've avoided it), Via Napoli, Tokyo Dining, La Hacienda de San Angel (very slow with a group), Liberty TT, C Palace, 1900PF, GF Café, Boatwright's, Bongo's, House of Blues, and 'Ohana. Plus a number of places that no longer exist, like Kat Cora's TS at the Boardwalk.

Yes, I have had similar situations. I remember arriving early for an ADR and they checked me in and told me the wait was an hour. I complained that we were not walkin's - we had an ADR. Their response to me was that the ADR was to wait in line. Walkin's were not accepted. We cancelled and went to QS dining; but that one really upset me.

I can't tell you a way to deal with those. The situation I was warning against is that they won't even consider seating you until your party is there. My MIL wanted to take a smoke break and meet us at our table/ We were going to text her when we sat down. We all were at the restaurant, and they called our name. They asked where the 5th person was and we explained she would join us. They told us they would not seat us until she was there and gave out table away. Told us to let them know when the 5th person was IN THE RESTAURANT (not standing 20 feet away).

The better questions is what are the chances of trading our Pirate room for a king bed or... not a Pirate room in the middle of no where.
I don't know, but we have - at times- been given a few room upgrades over the years.

Most of our room upgrades were minor, but we have gotten a few over the years. I often book the room view category called "standard view." Standard is the least expensive room view, and often translates to mean the room that faces a backstage area (employee parking lot, service entrance, etc.), a guest parking lot, or a highly obstructed view (big tree). I've never actually faced a dumpster, but that's the running joke.

In truth, our last standard view room at Wilderness Lodge faced an employee parking lot, but also included a view of the MK Castle/Space Mtn. We find it interesting and informative to see some of the backstage areas. And even the backstage areas, IMO, are well groomed and well landscaped.

The category above standard is usually pool view or garden view, with a price difference of about $10-15 per night. If we get an upgrade- which I appreciate- it is most often to pool view.

That said, CBR is a large resort. Upgrades, IME, seem to be most common when the resort has vacant rooms to offer.

Last edited:

I don't know, but we have - at times- been given a few room upgrades over the years.

Most of our room upgrades were minor, but we have gotten a few over the years. I often book the room view category called "standard view." Standard is the least expensive room view, and often translates to mean the room that faces a backstage area (employee parking lot, service entrance, etc.), a guest parking lot, or a highly obstructed view (big tree). I've never actually faced a dumpster, but that's the running joke.

In truth, our last standard view room at Wilderness Lodge faced an employee parking lot, but also included a view of the MK Castle/Space Mtn. We find it interesting and informative to see some of the backstage areas. And even the backstage areas, IMO, are well groomed and well landscaped.

The category above standard is usually pool view or garden view, with a price difference of about $10-15 per night. If we get an upgrade- which I appreciate- it is most often to pool view.

That said, CBR is a large resort. Upgrades, IME, seem to be most common when the resort has vacant rooms to offer.

In this case i would technically be asking for a downgrade Pirate rooms cost more then a king bed room. when you have gotten upgrades did you not use online check in?

Yes, I have had similar situations. I remember arriving early for an ADR and they checked me in and told me the wait was an hour. I complained that we were not walkin's - we had an ADR. Their response to me was that the ADR was to wait in line. Walkin's were not accepted. We cancelled and went to QS dining; but that one really upset me.

I can't tell you a way to deal with those. The situation I was warning against is that they won't even consider seating you until your party is there. My MIL wanted to take a smoke break and meet us at our table/ We were going to text her when we sat down. We all were at the restaurant, and they called our name. They asked where the 5th person was and we explained she would join us. They told us they would not seat us until she was there and gave out table away. Told us to let them know when the 5th person was IN THE RESTAURANT (not standing 20 feet away).

i think i would find myself yelling at them

I convinced my two sisters to go to Disneyland with me with their families. They had each gone separately and hated it because of lines and crowds and only enjoyed about 5 attractions their first day. I kept on them to go with me because my family rarely waits over 20 min and always have the best time (because like most of you, we understand planning). So on Columbus weekend 2014, 14 of us went to Disneyland. We did 19 attractions the first day, they couldn't believe it because it was a holiday weekend and we were moving through things so easily. The number one thing they learned - get there before rope drop and you'll have a couple of hours of a basically empty park. We had no child meltdowns because part of the success is planning the right down time for little ones, be it a show or a shaded snack area. My brother-in-law is a very type A, take charge type of guy but he relinquished control and let me be the chief. Everyone was amazed at how great and easy our three days were. That was the prerequisite trip to me convincing them to do Disney World. We are going June 2017 and we are adding my third sister and kids to the trip so we have 18 people going! I'm very nervous and the pressure is on to deliver a magical and easy trip like Disneyland, but Disneyland is just two parks within walking distance! I'm up for the challenge and appreciate all of the tips on here. The one thing I have going for me is that I already have their trust and they'll go with the flow! 326 Day to our Disney Extravaganza!

In this case i would technically be asking for a downgrade Pirate rooms cost more then a king bed room. when you have gotten upgrades did you not use online check in?

Well, I've been going to WDW a long time! Online check-in has only been around for a relatively short time. Most of our upgrades predate on-line check-in, so I can't really say if they wouldn't have happened with online check-in (= OCI).

Though OCI has nominally existed for some time, the original version wasn't very useful. You STILL had to go to the front desk upon arrival, and you had to go to ONE designated CM, while everyone else could choose from many front desk CM's. So, we didn't use it much of the time it has been around.

The newest version seems far more useful...though if it be room changes you seek...I think I still favor using the front desk for check-in. Live CM's can be very helpful.

Being friendly never hurts. ;)

Well, I've been going to WDW a long time! Online check-in has only been around for a relatively short time. Most of our upgrades predate on-line check-in, so I can't really say if they wouldn't have happened with online check-in (= OCI).

Though OCI has nominally existed for some time, the original version wasn't very useful. You STILL had to go to the front desk upon arrival, and you had to go to ONE designated CM, while everyone else could choose from many front desk CM's. So, we didn't use it much of the time it has been around.

The newest version seems far more useful...though if it be room changes you seek...I think I still favor using the front desk for check-in. Live CM's can be very helpful.

Being friendly never hurts. ;)

I went last year and i used online check in. I feel like it doesn't give you the chance to get an upgrade, because you don't talk to a CM

Its your wedding...........your time. I'd make plans for you and your spouse............give the group your plan..........and make it clear they can follow but this is YOUR plan!

You really can't, nor should you have to coordinate this type of plan............its an immense undertaking! IMMENSE!

Doug :goofy:

well good news, i managed to book all of the fast passes over the weekend without issue.

i find it super annoying you choose a fast pass, lets say you want 11:00am but all they have is 11:05am, you say okay fine. Then you go to book the next one, you want 12:00pm but you cant have it cause it over laps, 12:05 isn't available so maybe you end up with 12:30pm. it just snowballs to the point where getting you fast passes done takes 4+ hours

if i want a 11:00am 11:30am and 12:00pm fast pass i should get... i can run!

You can probably go back and fine tune those FPs, to tighten things up. The heading is something like "edit current FPs" or something close.

Congrats on getting all that done though!

I return triumphant! Here is an example of our day:

16 people: all adults, one wheelchair, one smoker, 12 had never been to Disney.

Breakfast at Crystal Palace
Jungle Cruise
Pirates
Tiki room
Haunted mansion
Hall of Pres
Peter Pan - fast pass
Winnie the Pooh
Philharmagic
7dwarf - fast pass
Lunch at harbor House
Little mermaid
Laugh floor
Stitch
Buzz lightyear
CoP
Space mountain - fast pass
Monorail
Ohana for dinner
12 return to the park after dinner
Splash mountain 4 times
Country Bear
Main Street electrical parade
Return to hotel

Key's to the success:
Weaving in relaxing shows
Stay away from gift shops
Asking everyone to go to the bathroom at the same time.
Do not cater to individuals. The group comes first
Matching shirts are the best, easy to keep track of a group and cast members take notice.

We had just as much success at Epcot the next day, however avoid Nemo it's worse then a gift shop for keeping a group together.

We ate at ohana, garden grill and tepanedo, all three were excellent for food and group accommodations.

If I did it again I would have matching shirts for all days.

I must stress show up early and all together for your ADRs. We waited on average 30 min to be seated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter