The difficulties of a large group

I don't think ill have those comments... but im 100% sure i will have other comments like that. which ill be sure to post after the trip :)

i don't know why some people can be so negative in the most positive place.

A negative person is negative, no matter where you bring them. lol I would say don't waste your money on them, but I guess it's too late now. Good luck!

All 16 are staying at the CBR.

once you made the t-shirts how did they hold up?

In my case, the shirts were for a one day event for about 100 people. I didn't see most of them after that day. They held up VERY well during the event!

In making them, I tested a few in the washer, and they held up. The one we kept also held up.

Well, full disclosure...I made a few practice transfers, where I tested the setting on my iron before I got the right temp. Too cold, and the transfer doesn't transfer, too hot and you burn the shirt. It takes a little bit of trial and error. You want to keep the iron on the transfer as long as possible - but stop before the fabric burns.

Mostly once I got going, all went well. Instead of ironing directly on the ironing board, I was told to use a wooden block. I had a heavy square cutting board that was perfect for the job. Then I covered it with an old cotton undershirt. That worked very well.

At least once- I accidentally applied a transfer upside down, but I was kind of rushing to make about 100 all in one day! Without burning myself!

I was also warned about humidity+ the transfer paper form the guy who sold them to me. I kept ALL the transfer papers sealed in plastic until I was printing, ONLY printed a few copies a time, then immediately sealed the printed transfers back in a ziploc bag. (that was pretty easy, because they arrived sealed in Ziploc bags) and only took them out a few at a time as I was ironing them.

There is a company that makes custom t-shirt online. They are easy to use, but they were above my budget.

On the other hand- custom temp tattoos aren't all that $$. With all of them, volume brings the price per piece down.

In my case, the shirts were for a one day event for about 100 people. I didn't see most of them after that day. They held up VERY well during the event!

In making them, I tested a few in the washer, and they held up. The one we kept also held up.

Well, full disclosure...I made a few practice transfers, where I tested the setting on my iron before I got the right temp. Too cold, and the transfer doesn't transfer, too hot and you burn the shirt. It takes a little bit of trial and error. You want to keep the iron on the transfer as long as possible - but stop before the fabric burns.

Mostly once I got going, all went well. Instead of ironing directly on the ironing board, I was told to use a wooden block. I had a heavy square cutting board that was perfect for the job. Then I covered it with an old cotton undershirt. That worked very well.

At least once- I accidentally applied a transfer upside down, but I was kind of rushing to make about 100 all in one day! Without burning myself!

I was also warned about humidity+ the transfer paper form the guy who sold them to me. I kept ALL the transfer papers sealed in plastic until I was printing, ONLY printed a few copies a time, then immediately sealed the printed transfers back in a ziploc bag. (that was pretty easy, because they arrived sealed in Ziploc bags) and only took them out a few at a time as I was ironing them.

There is a company that makes custom t-shirt online. They are easy to use, but they were above my budget.

On the other hand- custom temp tattoos aren't all that $$. With all of them, volume brings the price per piece down.

i might try going the "make your own" approach, as it is much cheaper.

Not sure if as a dude, you use Pinterest, but if you search "DIY Disney Shirts" on Pinterest, there are many cute ideas

I don't have pinterest, but a quick Google search for "DIY Disney Shirts" just gave me loads of ideas

Thanks!

I already booking Teppan Edo, Ohana, and Nine Dragons (i didn't mean to book all Asian food... it just kind of happened) from what I've found all three can seat large groups fairly well. being that everyone is staying on property and we all have "Free Dining" we wont be leaving property

i think iv set my bar very low. all i expect is to get to 3 attractions each day (the ones with fast passes) and make it to dinner.

if 15 out of 16 people show up for a dinner will they charge the $10 fee for the missing person?

I didn't finish all the replies yet, but I wanted to make sure you get the answer to this. . . NO - you don't get charged ANY no-show fee as long as at least one person from your group shows up to honor the reservation. Obviously, it's considerate to call and change your numbers if you discover that half of your group has decided to go off on their own, but it's NOT mandatory and you are NOT charged for 1 or a few missing people. It's what the dining agents tell you on the phone, and although people on DIS often point out that phone CMs don't always give out accurate info, my experience bears this out and I've never seen posts on the Restaurants board here saying any differently either.

I don't have pinterest, but a quick Google search for "DIY Disney Shirts" just gave me loads of ideas

Thanks!
There's a Creative DISigns board here where lots of folks will make you a custom design that you can then print on your home printer and iron on your own shirts. It could be fun to have one specially made for your wedding trip that way. I used JiffyShirts.com for the plain shirts - great prices, a huge variety of sizes/colors/styles/brands so that you can find ones in any color, any size you need.

As to your general problem of getting people invested in the planning, I feel your pain! My family group of 12 went and although they all chose to do WDW together, they still couldn't get dragged into the planning process no matter what I did. One suggestion I have is to personally call, text or FB message (whatever method you know they respond to) just once - tell them WDW is huge, a bit unusual compared to other vacation destinations, and between that and your group size, some background understanding is absolutely necessary. Tell them verbally that they need to check their emails as that's how you are communicating details and they will miss out if they don't check. You can't be calling, texting, AND emailing every single detail, but making sure that you have gotten through to them at least once and told them what their responsibility is helped me in the event anything might go wrong - I could be confident I had done everything possible to inform everyone.

Love the laminated day-by-day brief itinerary. My family made fun of mine, but guess what I saw each of them pull out at least a couple times!

Do get Memory Maker (which will allow everyone to get pictures whether you're all together at the time or not) and encourage everyone to stop at photographers to make use of it!

Dining - I also found that Boma, CRT, Akershus and Chef Mickey's handled a group fairly well. Sometimes with tables just adjacent to each other, sometimes with tables pushed together to make one big one. I hear that Mickey's Backyard BBQ is good for groups, too. Even though I like to think I'm pretty bright ;) I found the Dining plan hard to understand prior to using it a couple times (what's included at a Counter Service? what's not? do I have to do anything special? what about tipping?) I suggest telling your guests to stop in to your resort's counter service at an off time and ask a CM to explain it to them. I've found the CM's extremely kind and helpful this way and it's easier to "get it" when you're right there looking at all the menus and food options. That's of course for CS and snacks - for TS, just be sure to explain that tipping, adult beverages and appetizers are not included, but can still be purchased and put on cash/credit.

I didn't finish all the replies yet, but I wanted to make sure you get the answer to this. . . NO - you don't get charged ANY no-show fee as long as at least one person from your group shows up to honor the reservation. Obviously, it's considerate to call and change your numbers if you discover that half of your group has decided to go off on their own, but it's NOT mandatory and you are NOT charged for 1 or a few missing people. It's what the dining agents tell you on the phone, and although people on DIS often point out that phone CMs don't always give out accurate info, my experience bears this out and I've never seen posts on the Restaurants board here saying any differently either.

That's good to hear. I have a feeling we will see a few no shows.

Dining - I also found that Boma, CRT, Akershus and Chef Mickey's handled a group fairly well. Sometimes with tables just adjacent to each other, sometimes with tables pushed together to make one big one. I hear that Mickey's Backyard BBQ is good for groups, too. Even though I like to think I'm pretty bright ;) I found the Dining plan hard to understand prior to using it a couple times (what's included at a Counter Service? what's not? do I have to do anything special? what about tipping?) I suggest telling your guests to stop in to your resort's counter service at an off time and ask a CM to explain it to them. I've found the CM's extremely kind and helpful this way and it's easier to "get it" when you're right there looking at all the menus and food options. That's of course for CS and snacks - for TS, just be sure to explain that tipping, adult beverages and appetizers are not included, but can still be purchased and put on cash/credit.
This is some good points, though I slightly disagree about dining in big groups. When I said DDP eliminated some problems, a biggie was reducing the
part of my group that whined about food (and time) costs at every TS meal, even though I'd sent menu information!

We've dined all over, and while some meals were relatively smooth, we repeatedly ran into the following issues:

1. Seated WELL past our ADR time.

2. In some ways DDP is simple, but in other ways, it is a bit confusing. At least part of my family prefers snacking over complete meals, so they would do things like use a full meal credit- even though they didn't order a drink or dessert, THEN an hour later, they'd use a snack credit to get a coffee. Explaining didn't help.

3. A second confusing thing about DDP is that credit are charged per room. It doesn't include alcohol, tip, or meal extras, so you easily end up with a pile of slips (three per room) at the end of every meal. If you have four hotel rooms, you 'll end up with 12 charge slips: A.) shows meals ordered, B.) shows DDP credits (with place to add tip), C.) shows alcohol and extras, plus tip

4. Meal credits are SUPPOSED to be charged PER room, but servers don't always get it right. Sometimes they charged the wrong room. Worse, they sometimes charged kid meals an adult TS credit (from the wrong room). Getting the charges fixed requires a manager, and that takes a while.

5. Group members need to expect to pay the gratuity at TS. If they get the most expensive item, the tip is quite a bit higher. If they don't understand how DDP works, they won't budget for tips. (which brings me back to whining over meal costs) With large groups, I think servers added 18% gratuity, so check for that when you get the bill.

6. Several servers automatically charged the overages back to our room. Even when we said we didn't want to do it that way.

In the end, we just took turns paying the gratuity, instead of trying to figure out the specifics of who owed what.
I also requested a paper copy of the hotel bill on our last full day. Otherwise, your cc gets charged overnight, and you only get an email copy. I found it worth my while to review the bill.

We also learned to avoid the charging back to our room privileges with a group. :)

Congratulation!

My tip: At the reception, tell them "We're Married. It's our Honeymoon. We will be enjoying EACH OTHERS COMPANY. It's a big park - have fun and enjoy it! Maybe we will bump into you for a snack!", then put your phones on airplane mode with Wifi on so you can use MDE and do whatever you and your new blushing bride want - because my number one rule of Honeymoons is it's your time to be a little selfish.

Likewise, I abhor people who insist on taking your honeymoon cruise with you. If you married on a ship, great - they can all come watch and when the ship leaves port, they better leave too cause no ship is big enough. :-)

No matter what, have a GREAT wedding and honeymoon!

Congratulation!

My tip: At the reception, tell them "We're Married. It's our Honeymoon. We will be enjoying EACH OTHERS COMPANY. It's a big park - have fun and enjoy it! Maybe we will bump into you for a snack!", then put your phones on airplane mode with Wifi on so you can use MDE and do whatever you and your new blushing bride want - because my number one rule of Honeymoons is it's your time to be a little selfish.

Likewise, I abhor people who insist on taking your honeymoon cruise with you. If you married on a ship, great - they can all come watch and when the ship leaves port, they better leave too cause no ship is big enough. :-)

No matter what, have a GREAT wedding and honeymoon!

So part of the reason of having the wedding in Disney is that we found the concept of a reception to be a total waste (expensive and short) so the idea is that the 4 days our guests are with us is like a 4 day long reception.

the idea is that the 4 days our guests are with us is like a 4 day long reception.

Um.... I'm... sorry.

Well, It's just 4 days. Lots of deep breaths, and the two of you can always run for sanctuary on a doombuggy for a few minutes of Rest... In Peace. :rotfl:

<Grasps Vigliottec by the shoulders> good Luck, my friend. Have courage and be kind.

Seriously - congratulations again. Hopefully you get along well with everyone! The only real advice I can give you isn't about ADR's, but if you insist on seeing these people - Epcot handles large groups better (in general) than does Magic Kingdom. DHS does quite well, too.

There are some rides you can pack a large group in - HTH and Star Tours will both be happy to seat you all in the same ride. In HTH's case if you sign up for memory maker, you will get a nice little video of the entire wedding party on the ride together. Some restaurant are better are crowds then others - especially in Epcot. The Chinese restaurant can usually handle a good group with fairly short notice. remember to take advantage of the Disney Photographers around the parks if you get memory maker. They can get some good shots of everyone together and are happy to do it.

Do get Memory Maker (which will allow everyone to get pictures whether you're all together at the time or not) and encourage everyone to stop at photographers to make use of it!

many people have suggested this and i would agree that this is a very good idea!

Some restaurant are better are crowds then others - especially in Epcot. The Chinese restaurant can usually handle a good group with fairly short notice. remember to take advantage of the Disney Photographers around the parks if you get memory maker. They can get some good shots of everyone together and are happy to do it.

a lot of people have seemingly had issues with getting into their reservation on time with a large group. anyone have any recommendations on how to combat this?

a lot of people have seemingly had issues with getting into their reservation on time with a large group. anyone have any recommendations on how to combat this?

I don't really except to make sure everyone shows up and doesn't get on a ride with 10 minutes before the reservation. They wont get your table ready until everyone is there - they are generally a "deal with one problem at a time". So until the whole group is there, it's not even on their radar and they won't try to organize a table.

many people have suggested this and i would agree that this is a very good idea!

Since you yourself are staying 15 days, you May want to look at the cost difference between getting an annual pass. Memory maker for one year is included with an Annual pass

Since you yourself are staying 15 days, you May want to look at the cost difference between getting an annual pass. Memory maker for one year is included with an Annual pass

with a 10 day ticket i was able to get free dining for all 15 days. I was REALLY angry when i found out that the wedding no longer included annual passes (we were originally going for 18 days) i had to totally rework our plans.

I don't really except to make sure everyone shows up and doesn't get on a ride with 10 minutes before the reservation. They wont get your table ready until everyone is there - they are generally a "deal with one problem at a time". So until the whole group is there, it's not even on their radar and they won't try to organize a table.

So our wedding is at 2 pm at sea breeze point, our dinner that night is at 6:15 at Teppan Edo. I'm tempted to cal them at 5 ish and say "please make sure our table is ready". i don't mind waiting 5-10 min. but i'm not okay with sitting 30 min after my reservation. I woke up early 180 days in advance to not have to deal with stuff like that.

So our wedding is at 2 pm at sea breeze point, our dinner that night is at 6:15 at Teppan Edo. I'm tempted to cal them at 5 ish and say "please make sure our table is ready". i don't mind waiting 5-10 min. but i'm not okay with sitting 30 min after my reservation. I woke up early 180 days in advance to not have to deal with stuff like that.
Unfortunately, they use creative wording on their reservations. Despite the fact that they are called Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) I think there's another word they use to reflect that it's just a place in line. It means you'll be seated near your time, and much faster than anyone trying to just walk up, but there's no stated guarantee to give you a table at that precise time. Some restaurants at WDW are worse about it than others (I have heard and experienced that Whispering Canyon Café is notoriously off schedule) but I don't know at all about Teppan Edo. Most WDW restaurants won't work on seating you until your entire party is there, so I'm not sure that calling on your way will be any help. However, it can't hurt! It might be a good idea to call even now (try at an off time of the afternoon) and ask to speak to a manager to explain that it will be your wedding dinner and ask whether there's anything you can do to make sure it goes smoothly on the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter