The Diamond Adventure: Pretrippie to trippie (arts, crafts & photos galore)

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

So I figured as I'm less that 3 months away from the trip, I should finally get around to starting my pretrippie. I've written a few trip reports before…here's one of them:http://www.disboards.com/threads/19-fun-filled-days-in-may-pre-to-trippie-creations-pics.2588869/

Right, back to this year. Let me start by introducing the cast. Firstly there is me:

644299_10151258830016791_1153510542_na.jpg

I'm Helen, I'm 39, single, have two spoilt cats and I work in the UK for the mouse himself as a Disney Ambassador, Visual Merchandiser and Senior Cast. I guess this gives me a different perspective on all things Disney related because I am both very critical and a HUGE fan of how they represent the magic that Uncle Walt began. I've worked for Mickey on and off for over twenty years and I've had some amazing times and met some amazing people. I am a very proud cast member. Having said that I do need to point out that the comments, adventures, opinions etc posted here are all mine and do not reflect those of the Walt Disney Company. I'm posting as me, the traveller, not as an ambassador. Ok, with that bit out the way let me continue.

Besides working for the mouse I also have a small filming company recording anything from weddings to documentaries. I'd like to do this more but in the current climate it's a bit hit-and-miss hence the two jobs. I used to teach audio post-production at Salford Uni but quit that a few years ago.

I have several partners in crime on this trip. The first is Graham:

dis2.jpg

Graham will be 26 when we go (yep, I'm the oldest by miles but you wouldn't know that lol). Graham is an ex-cast member that I worked with for a few years. We've been friends for years and travelled to WDW together last year. Graham now works in HR, not for Disney but remains a massive fan. His favourites are Olaf and Maximus.

Next we have Steph:

dis10.jpg

Steph also travelled with Graham and I to WDW last year and is also an ex-cast member. In fact, she's another of the cast I trained. Steph now works in the carer profession. She will be 25 when we go and she is a massive Minnie fan.

Finally we have 'the boys', Darren and Eddie (Darren is the darker-haired one):

dis11.jpg

This is one of those 'just clicked' moments. Eddie used to work for Disney but not with me. I met Eddie and his boyfriend Darren as guests and got talking. Over a few months we just bonded and I added them on f'bk. As a throwaway comment one day I said 'well you should come to California with me'. Next thing I know, we are all planning and booking a trip lol. We've not travelled together but we've spent a lot of time hanging out on day trips, etc and we all get on great *touch wood* lol. Eddie is now back working for Disney, this time with me, and Darren works for his father's company…although he used to work in the theatre. Eddie is a Belle fan and Darren loves Oswald.

Oh I don't think I said but I'm a massive Pocahontas fan as I was lucky enough to work on her movie promotion back in 1995.

The others have never been to California, in fact Eddie's never been to the USA, but I've been fortunate to visit several times. I've been up and down the whole west coast and I just LOVE it. I lived in the USA for a year when I was younger and still have a twinge of accent. I'm also lucky enough to have a lot of friends stateside. None of that diminishes how excited I am to be returning :)

So, that's the motley cast. Now…for the trip

Assuming all goes to plan, we are flying from London on October 3rd. Not entirely sure how we are getting to London yet but it was £200 cheaper than flying from other airports, so we are going from there. We should return on the 19th (leaving LA on the evening of 18th).

We have flights, car and hotels booked but that's it so far. I like driving in the US on roadtrips and should be doing all of the driving but I'm putting one of the others on as back up. Our plan is as follows:

• Day One: Flight, hopefully land with no issues, pick up the hire car and head down to Anaheim. We are debating having a meal at Goofy's that night.
  • Day Two: Disneyland Parks (hoping for Fantasmic!). It's a sunday and gay days so we expect it to be busy but we wanted to see Fantasmic!
  • Day Three: Disneyland Parks (hoping for a Halloween Party)
  • Day Four: Disneyland Parks (probably CA so we can see WOC)
  • Day Five: Drive north to LA and sightsee. I have a whole list of places and directions for us
  • Day Six: Visit the Disney Studios in Burbank and a couple of other places before driving north to Fresno
  • Day Seven: Driving north to Carson City via Yosemite National Park
  • Day Eight: Driving to Oakland via the edge of Lake Tahoe and Sacramento
  • Day Nine: San Francisco (Probably the Walt Disney Museum and Alcatraz in the evening)
  • Day Ten: San Francisco sightseeing before heading on to Monterey
  • Day Eleven: Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway as far as Solvang, with many stops on route
  • Day Twelve: Driving the rest of the coast via Santa Barbara, Malibu and possibly the Ronald Reagan museum so we can see Air Force One. Staying in Anaheim that night
  • Day Thirteen: Disneyland Parks (whatever we've missed)
  • Day Fourteen: Drive out to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Park before heading back to LA
  • Day Fifteen: Probably Universal Studios. Some of the group want the halloween party, some of us are too scared
  • Day Sixteen: Flight home in the evening. Thinking of popping to Walt's barn and/or Warner Studios tour in the day
  • Day Seventeen: Hopefully land back in the UK with no issues

So that's the basic plan. I have much more detail than that, which I'll share in the following posts. I'm also planning a few arts and crafts things which I will also share. We have planned to do disney bounding for our disney days (possibly meeting up with two friends out there too). I'm making autograph books and mickey ears for us and I'm setting a photo challenge. All of which I will share here in the following posts. When it gets to the trippie itself I should warn you I'm a photoholic! :)

That's it for now, hope you'll come along for the ride! :D

Sounds fun! Just a word of caution, we camp in Yosemite every year and you do need to make reservations NOW for October as it's the 125th anniversary and the hotels are sold out and the camping is almost sold out. use recreation.gov website to get your reservations. Didn't want you to get there and be stuck :lovestruc

Also, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and if you're going to Monterey you should try to stay at Asilomar http://www.visitasilomar.com/

Enjoy!

Thank :). We're actually staying in Fresno the night before not Yosemite. Wish I'd spoken to you before about Monterey cause we've already booked all our accommodation. Xx

joining in - our trips overlap a bit as we will be in San Diego from October 10-13 and then up to Disneyland on the 13th staying until the 17th

Sounds like a fun crew and a a full itinerary. We've never been to California so looking forward to it ... and the 60th Anniversary of Disneyland of course

Hi! I love your itenerary! As you drive from Sacramento to San Francisco there is a Jelly Belly plant half way between. You can go in and go on a tour of the plant. They have a store where they sell all of their different candies. Plus you get samples of their jelly beans with the tour. It's a quick little tour. There's even a restaurant in there where you can get a jelly bean shaped pizza. Plus, there is also an Anheiser Busch plant that I believe you can tour too. Sepay Olive Oil has a tasting room inside their store. They sell local things in there too. This is in the town of Fairfield.

Hi! I love your itenerary! As you drive from Sacramento to San Francisco there is a Jelly Belly plant half way between. You can go in and go on a tour of the plant. They have a store where they sell all of their different candies. Plus you get samples of their jelly beans with the tour. It's a quick little tour. There's even a restaurant in there where you can get a jelly bean shaped pizza. Plus, there is also an Anheiser Busch plant that I believe you can tour too. Sepay Olive Oil has a tasting room inside their store. They sell local things in there too. This is in the town of Fairfield.

OOoh that sounds amazing, thank you for the tip!

Sorry, crazy busy week at work = lack of updates. So…where was I? Oh yes, itinerary done. So, hotels and car.

We booked a car through the Alamo Brits link. I like that it means everything is included straight away and I have to deal less with the hard sell at the desk. They'll still try for the extra insurance probably but that, from what I understand, only covers flat tyres, lost keys etc and I'm hoping we don't need that.

I went for a 7-seater minivan when booking because there's five of us plus luggage. I'm hoping as well that the back will be blacked out a bit so we can hide our stuff in there. Obviously we're not going to be leaving things in the van over night or in crazy places but we will have to occasionally leave it while we are looking at places (Mann's theatre, etc). None of us pack very lightly and we are bound to spend a fortune at Disney lol so we need the car space. If we were desperate we could probably leave some luggage with friends in LA while we are driving the road trip part (might do that anyway) but I didn't want us to HAVE to leave things. So I guess I'm driving a minivan again. I've driven them before on three occasions. The first was in Vegas when they didn't have a car for us for an hour and upgraded us. The second was in Orlando when they told us it would be a half hour wait and I joked 'In vegas they gave us a minivan instead of waiting' and the guys said 'they did? then I will too' and finally last year when they let u pick from a large lot that included the minivans. I know it's possible we'd get a free upgrade again but with five of us I didnt want to take the chance, so we pre booked it.

Hotels are also done. We were basically looking for clean places with reasonable reviews and in ok areas. If the reviews said bugs or unsafe we discounted them immediately, otherwise they were considered. None of them are posh places because we're only there to sleep and didn't want to spend a fortune. I think we've got the car, flights and hotels for about £920 each ($1300-1400), which considering the flights are nearly £500 ($750) of that, I don't think it's too bad.

We've got the first 4 nights at a Super 8 ten mins walk from Disneyland. Then we've got a night in LA, one in Fresno, one in Carson City, one in Oakland, one in San Fran itself (most expensive), one in Monterey, one in Solvang, then it is back to the Super 8 for 2 nights and the LA one again for 2 nights. In all cases we have two rooms with 2 double/queen beds in each and some include continental breakfast. The only irritations I have is that one of my bookings says '2 people' for each room, and I booked 2 in one, 3 in the other. Still sorting that out. And the LA hotel does not guarantee a hairdryer. It says 'available on request' so I tried requesting it beforehand but they said I have to request when I check in. Which is so annoying cause my hair becomes like Monica in Friends if I don't wash and straighten it every day. I don't bother at home but on holiday with pics being taken I definitely do! So Eddie said he'll bring a hair dryer (I have an American one) if I bring my straighteners (again I have American ones). Just annoying to bring them for a couple of nights. Oh well.

So that's the transport and sleeping quarters. Now for the fun stuff….

One of the first silly things we decided to do as a group was 'Disney Bounding'. I'm sure you guys all know what it is but just in case you don't, it is where you dress to 'represent' a disney character rather than dressing as a character (which you are obviously not allowed to do during the day in the parks). My friend Andy and I tried this out for the first time in 2013 and here are our attempts.

The first was as Pinocchio and Pocahontas:

bounding3.jpg

We went to Goofy's Kitchen that night and Mulan picked up on it straight away and introduced us to Dale as Pinocchio and Pocahontas.

The second one we did was as Mickey and Daisy (excuse the unflattering pic):

bounding2.jpg

Donald picked up on these and kissed me for being Daisy.

This year we were hoping that with 5 of us it'll be more obvious what we're doing.

So next came the discussion of 'who' shall we go as. Obviously we wanted to do 'groups' of characters so that we worked together so we decided on the following groups: Fab 5, The Avengers, Princesses and Toy Story. We wanted groups that we could add our friends into if they decide to join us on the days too. We've each picked characters and are going as follows:

FAB 5 (extended to include other classics so the boys could join in if necessary):
Darren: Oswald
Eddie: Donald
Graham: Mickey
Steph: Minnie (Naturally)
Me: Daisy

THE AVENGERS:
Darren: Thor
Eddie: Scarlet Witch
Graham: Iron Man
Steph: Hulk
Me: Captain America

TOY STORY:
Darren: Alien
Eddie: Tour Guide Barbie
Graham: Bullseye (I think)
Steph: Jessie (I think)
Me: Buzz Lightyear

PRINCESSES:
Darren: Snow White
Eddie: Belle (Naturally)
Graham: Rapunzel
Steph: Ariel
Me: Pocahontas (Naturally)

Eddie did a mock up for my outfits here:

bounding.jpg

I wish I was this sassy and skinny lol

I'm not going quite like that but it gave a fun starting point. I've obviously got outfits I can use for Daisy and Pocahontas but I haven't for the others yet. I don't want to buy too much cause I'm trying to lose weight before the holiday, so I've only bought bits so far.

Things I have got are a Captain America t-shirt and some accessories (all via ebay and all only about £2-3 a piece, just cheap). I bought a Cpt Am shield bracelet so I could raise my shield to protect myself ;)

boundingcpt1.jpg

I then bought two pendants on dog tags because I couldn't decide what to wear. I bought these two:
boundingca2.jpg
and
boundingca3.jpg

I think I'll probably wear the star so Eddie can wear the A necklace. I also already have a badge here:

boundingca4.jpg

I don't have pictures yet but I also have a round red badge to wear as Buzz (for his push button) and another one that says 'To Infinity and Beyond'. And I have a hairband with a bow on it, that my friend Clair made, in either purple or pink (for Daisy). It's only small because I wanted subtle but now I'm wondering if I should have gone for huge lol. Clair's also picked up some loom bands so I can make everyone bands in their character colours. Oh and she made a green headband for Steph so she can push her hair back but still be Hulk and a red one to help represent Ariel's hair.

So…I've made a start.

Other things I gathered for the trip so far include a transmitter so we can play iPods in the car, new cases, fold out California map and pop out maps of LA and San Fran. And don't laugh but I saw someone else do this and thought it was a good idea. I've bought some small plastic pots for each of us:
holiday.jpg

The idea of these is for each beach we go to that has a special meaning we can gather a tiny bit of sand. Then, when we come home, we can put them together in a sand art tube or similar and see the different types of sand from different places. It's only a small amount but a fun holiday memento.

Besides the Disney bounding we are hoping to go to a Halloween party at Disneyland. They've just announced and the dates fit (yay) so assuming we get tickets we want to go dressed in something fun as a group. So…we've decided to try and sort costumes to go as Cinderella's mice.

cinderellamice1a.jpg
cindmicebertmert.jpg

So far we have Graham going as Gus, Steph and I as Suzy and Perla and Eddie and Darren as the twin mice Bert and Mert. We're hoping our friends will join us as two to three of the others (including Jacques). And we're of course hoping we can meet Cinderella that night.
We figured the costumes were more unusual, weren't too complicated and would be cool if it's hot. If it's cold we can put something under them. My friend Kathy said she'll make them so *fingers crossed* she will or this plan could all fall apart. I'm leaving them til nearer the holiday in hopes I have lost weight. We won't wear noses etc but will prob paint noses/whiskers on.

One of the things I wanted to do was to encourage the others to pause and take things in on this trip. So I thought I'd give them, and me, a photo challenge. They know I'm doing it but don't know what I'm asking them to photograph. This is the list I came up with:

• American Flag
  • Animal / Bird
  • A Sign
  • A Street
  • Balloon(s)
  • Bridge
  • Castle
  • Close Up (Anything)
  • Clouds or Sun Flare
  • Clock or Time
  • Feet (group or own)
  • Hotel / Room
  • Food
  • In Jail/Prison
  • Liquid
  • Love
  • Luggage
  • Luxury
  • Map
  • Movement
  • Music
  • Numbers to make ‘2015’
  • Out the Window
  • Plants or Trees
  • Reflection of Something
  • Relaxing
  • Scary / Halloween
  • Self Portrait
  • Shadow (Anything)
  • Skyline
  • Something Glass
  • Something You Want
  • Souvenir
  • Strangers / Locals
  • Sunrise/Sunset
  • Technology
  • Tickets
  • Transport
  • Walt Disney
  • Your Choice / Memory

I wanted it to be fun not too difficult so all these things could be found in different places on our trip. The point is I want them to think about what they are looking at/photographing and maybe try to take unusual photos. When we're back I intend to put together an album that shows all of our interpretations of the different requests. Maybe we'll all end up with the same but I'm hoping we get some fun and creative differences.

I've printed off the list in a small format and I will laminate it so they can keep it in their bags/wallets as reference. *fingers crossed* it'll be fun.

The other thing that was bugging me was…much as I love the idea of disney bounding…it meant I couldn't wear Mickey Ears. I obviously can't as Daisy but I couldn't with the other outfits either so…I had an idea. I've discussed it with Eddie but the others have NO clue that I'm doing this :) I've decided to make, for two days, themed Mickey ears.

I started off with trying to design something I thought I might be able to actually make…cause I'm hardly an amazing crafter…and then thought about how to make them. I'll discuss how I'm making them in a later post and show you a photo of the one I've done so far but for now, here are the designs:

The Avengers Ears I wanted to create a uniformity too. Thor can actually be other colours and there are two designs here for Scarlet Witch - I gave Eddie a choice

Avengersears.png

For the princesses I intend to add bows. Graham, however, won't want a bow and I'm not sure about Darren yet, hence the two SW options

princessears.png

So…whatcha think? This is what I'd like to achieve but it prob will be a messier, basic version lol

Coming soon…the ears as I do them, autograph books, visiting plans, bookings, etc

We will miss you by a couple of days, but hope you have a great trip! Love the Disneybounding - my DD always tries to when we go to the parks as she knows she is getting too old for the princess dresses. We live in the Monterey area, so if you have any questions, fire away!

PS - Flights for $750? Sounds amazing!

love your Disneybounding and the idea for you costumes for the party ... always love "different" ideas and also ones that aren't too over the top but definitely get across what you are going as

We always have to get a minivan so if you found a good rate for one that is great! We've found the newer ones definitely drive more like cars than in the past.

That's great you found all the hotels you wanted. Just thinking about traveling with my family changing hotels that much would drive me bonkers with all the things kids need but it obviously makes sense for you group and your trip.

I would love to be friends with your group and tag along! It sounds like a fun, wonderful trip. Can't wait to read more about it!

I love the Disney Bounding. I will be doing it on our September trip and I'm really excited. Instead of ears I've been making hair bows. My 21 year old daughter will be wearing bows I created. It makes the trip more exciting, not that it needs it.

I love the Disney Bounding. I will be doing it on our September trip and I'm really excited. Instead of ears I've been making hair bows. My 21 year old daughter will be wearing bows I created. It makes the trip more exciting, not that it needs it.

Ooh cool. Have you decided who you're going as?

We will miss you by a couple of days, but hope you have a great trip! Love the Disneybounding - my DD always tries to when we go to the parks as she knows she is getting too old for the princess dresses. We live in the Monterey area, so if you have any questions, fire away!

PS - Flights for $750? Sounds amazing!

Yeah we jumped at them. I can get a similar price for Orlando next May and I'm so tempted. Shame we'll miss you, hope you have a greT time. Pooh I might quiz you then. Dunno if this is something you'd know about but have u ever been whale watching. There's a trip that goes from San Fran for half a day. Must admit I personally wanna go cause it goes to the fallarone (so?) islands in sharktober and I would love to see a white shark (from a boat!!!). Dunno if we'll see anything though or if it's worth it.

love your Disneybounding and the idea for you costumes for the party ... always love "different" ideas and also ones that aren't too over the top but definitely get across what you are going as

We always have to get a minivan so if you found a good rate for one that is great! We've found the newer ones definitely drive more like cars than in the past.

That's great you found all the hotels you wanted. Just thinking about traveling with my family changing hotels that much would drive me bonkers with all the things kids need but it obviously makes sense for you group and your trip.

Thank you. Lol we might drive each other crazy too. Advantage of an adult only group though. I've done similar trips before but normally only two of us

I would love to be friends with your group and tag along! It sounds like a fun, wonderful trip. Can't wait to read more about it!

Aww thank you!

Ooh cool. Have you decided who you're going as?

Yeah we jumped at them. I can get a similar price for Orlando next May and I'm so tempted. Shame we'll miss you, hope you have a greT time. Pooh I might quiz you then. Dunno if this is something you'd know about but have u ever been whale watching. There's a trip that goes from San Fran for half a day. Must admit I personally wanna go cause it goes to the fallarone (so?) islands in sharktober and I would love to see a white shark (from a boat!!!). Dunno if we'll see anything though or if it's worth it.

Thank you. Lol we might drive each other crazy too. Advantage of an adult only group though. I've done similar trips before but normally only two of us

Aww thank you!

My one daughter loves all things Peter Pan, so everyday she will be wearing her different Peter Pan shirts each with a different themed bow. I've made her a Hook, Peter Pan, Nanna, Francis the Lady Bug and a flowered comb for Dapper Days outfit. Mine are all Villain related. I am Disney Bounding as Cruella, Ursula, Maleficent, Evil Queen and Vanessa. I own lots of purple and black so three of them were real easy. I've got hair bows for Vanessa and Ursula and I started my Cruella one tonight. I will finish it tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!