The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey

I think teachallday might be onto something... Maybe you're just trying to butter us up with these oh so sweet stories of your Pal Mickey when in reality you're trying to cover up your guilt...

Ahem...I think I might give Pluto a call! Capiche!

I love FOTLK too! I also don't buy into the whole bleeting thing so I'm glad someone out there has the same opinion. Lovin' the trippie! :thumbsup2

All it takes is for a few good people to speak out against the fallacy of giraffe bleeting and I think we'll see a positive change......although possibly not in our lifetime.

I think teachallday might be onto something... Maybe you're just trying to butter us up with these oh so sweet stories of your Pal Mickey when in reality you're trying to cover up your guilt...

Ahem...I think I might give Pluto a call! Capiche!

When people cross Pluto.....they wind up missing.

Egads, I'm at the end already? Enough lollygagging, must have more! Chop chop! :goodvibes

I pride myself in taking lollygagging to a new level. In fact, I'm very highly esteemed in lollygagging circles. I'm kind of like their king....the king of lollygagging.

Chpt 14 - How to bungle the jungle parade

Tinkershell is a parade nutjob….so is Pal Mickey for that matter. Those two will set up a lawn chair on the curb for garbage pick-up day and cheer wildly as the truck goes from can to can…..that’s how much they love a parade. Oh sure….the rest of us enjoy parades too…we just try to maintain some healthy boundaries…because that’s what sane people do. That being said, we end up watching a lot of parades, because….like the old saying goes…the squeaky parade nutjobs get the grease. And nobody was squeakier than Pal Mickey…because…you know….he’s a mouse.

AK’s temporary fix for Tinkershell and Pal Mickey’s spiraling out of control parade addiction was “Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade” ….although at Christmas time AK sneaks a “jingle” into the name in place of the “jammin’”. We had seen the jammin’ version of the parade two years before but we were in uncharted waters when it came to the jingle version. Ah…the suspense. How does AK transform a parade from one that jams to one that jingles? That’s the question. To be honest….I had my doubts that it could even be done. Tinkershell and Pal Mickey assured me that it could…..with smug little know-it-all expressions on their faces….which I detest.

After much careful deliberation, we decided to stake out our spot on the parade route in the vicinity of “Flights of Wonder”. How did we come to that conclusion? Well…I could tell you …but then I’d have to ask you not share it with anyone else. Anyway, this wasn’t our first rodeo….or parade for that matter…. so we grabbed our preferred viewing spot about 30 minutes before the scheduled start time. Tinkershell, Pal Mickey and DD Woobie sat down on the curb right next to the parade ropes….because apparently they think they’re something special. DS Buddy and I….who aren’t under the impression that the world revolves around us…..chose a more discrete spot back against the Flights of Wonder wall.

While we were patiently waiting for the parade to appear, DS Buddy decided to take off his shoes and socks to air out his soggy feet from KRR earlier in the day. That’s when we got our first glimpse of his pruny feet. Oh the humanity. When he unveiled those feet a wave a panic swept through the park. Small children cried and grown men trembled. DS Buddy’s feet had turned a ghostly white and were completely covered in wrinkles…..even his wrinkles were covered in wrinkles. Pal Mickey said he’d never seen anything like it. Of course, he’s never taken a bath before either….because of his unreasonable fear of water.

For awhile, DS’s ghastly deformities worked in our favor because if anybody tried to crowd our parade spot I just grabbed one of his ankles and waved a disfigured foot in their face. This was extremely affective...although I did feel a bit guilty when I saw the horror in peoples eyes. Sadly, all goods things must come to an end and…..over time…his feet began to look like feet again instead of soggy clumps of cauliflower and the huddled masses began to creep in…..like a sinister fog.

So what do you do at WDW when you’ve got time to burn? Easy…you people watch…and we had a prime spot. Just off to our left was a cement planter. This planter was the perfect height for a bench and was in a perfect spot for parade-watching. Unfortunately, this planter was located inside an area designated for non-parade-watcher traffic flow and…..hence….was forbidden. Ahhhh, the sweet allure of the forbidden bench. DS Buddy and I must have watched a hundred people plop their little behinds down on that planter….only to be shooed away by a vigilant CM….whose only apparent responsibility in life was to guard the forbidden planter.

Plop….shoo…..plop…..shoo. It was fascinating. As the crowds grew, the plopping became more frequent….and the shooing became more difficult. It was a epic battle for the ages…reminiscent of Waterloo or San Juan Hill. People became increasingly belligerent but the trusty Knight Templar of the forbidden bench held her ground. On numerous occasions, I was sure she would falter but…by pure grit and determination…she was able to hold her position until the parade began.

Ok, so here is how we bungled the jungle parade. As I mentioned earlier, we grabbed our parade spot 30 minutes before the start of the parade…..the start of the parade mind you. Unfortunately, the Flight of Wonders building is at the end of the parade….and this is not a fast moving parade because they have all those people-operated contraptions weaving back and forth like Lindsay Lohan attempting to pass a sobriety test. We waited dang near an hour before we saw any signs of parade activity…..but we learned a valuable lesson that day. We are not smart.

Next up: Chpt 15 – I’d like to leave a wake-up call for the end of this TR

Just like animal watching, I like people watching, too! It's fascinating to watch people try to get away with things they wouldn't normally do in a different setting. WDW seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. I'm glad the CM held her ground. Planters should not be disturbed! I mean really, would you go into someone's home and sit on their kitchen counter??

Just like animal watching, I like people watching, too! It's fascinating to watch people try to get away with things they wouldn't normally do in a different setting. WDW seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes. I'm glad the CM held her ground. Planters should not be disturbed! I mean really, would you go into someone's home and sit on their kitchen counter??

Ummm...so that would be wrong?.....to sit on someones kitchen counter?

Well, in that case, no...of course not. I mean...heaven forbid.

Those "guard" CM's are bred to be tough....and thank goodness too.:love:..our last trip with the kids (4 & 2 at the time) was made a whole lot easier because the "guard CM's" helped us protect our bit of realestate when last minute parade watchers tried to claim jump:mad:
My Grandma used to tuck a $10er in her shoe for safe keeping...(I was always a little afraid when she gave me money...:scared:) perhaps that's where these guys tuck their brain .... and after walking on it all day, it too is a little limb and stinky?:confused3

Those "guard" CM's are bred to be tough....and thank goodness too.:love:..our last trip with the kids (4 & 2 at the time) was made a whole lot easier because the "guard CM's" helped us protect our bit of realestate when last minute parade watchers tried to claim jump:mad:

If one chooses to follow the rules, the CM's are our friends. People don't always choose to follow the rules.

Me....I love rules.

By the way, we're still waiting for pictures!!!

P.S. Yours is one of the only trip reports I've commented on more than once...

That fact alone ought to be worth some pictures. I need to pick some and run them by Tinkershell. She has right of first refusal.

Unfortunately, the Flight of Wonders building is at the end of the parade….and this is not a fast moving parade because they have all those people-operated contraptions weaving back and forth like Lindsay Lohan attempting to pass a sobriety test. We waited dang near an hour before we saw any signs of parade activity…..but we learned a valuable lesson that day. We are not smart.

Kinda gives new meaning to her film "Herbie Fully Loaded"!!!

I believe I will sub to your thread...really, how can I not? Thoroughly enjoying your TR!!!!!!

P.S. We have 2 Pal Mickey's. One from 2003 who still kind of works a bit at home (but not like he used to, I think he has a bit of dementia) and the one we just got on our trip this past Sept. We just brought him for our wedding/Disneymoon trip and I swear I did not see one other Pal Mickey in the park (I don't mean in the shops, but with peeps). He was working great still....

I want to get more outfits for him though, we only have the Sorcerer one.

Unfortunately, the Flight of Wonders building is at the end of the parade….and this is not a fast moving parade because they have all those people-operated contraptions weaving back and forth like Lindsay Lohan attempting to pass a sobriety test. We waited dang near an hour before we saw any signs of parade activity…..but we learned a valuable lesson that day. We are not smart.

Kinda gives new meaning to her film "Herbie Fully Loaded"!!!

Well played my friend.....well played.

I believe I will sub to your thread...really, how can I not? Thoroughly enjoying your TR!!!!!!

P.S. We have 2 Pal Mickey's. One from 2003 who still kind of works a bit at home (but not like he used to, I think he has a bit of dementia) and the one we just got on our trip this past Sept. We just brought him for our wedding/Disneymoon trip and I swear I did not see one other Pal Mickey in the park (I don't mean in the shops, but with peeps). He was working great still....

I want to get more outfits for him though, we only have the Sorcerer one.

Many people are totally missing the boat w/ Pal Mickey. Where else can you get helpful hints and entertaining trivia all wrapped up in a pint-sized mouse in a sorcerer's suit?

Like many historical heroes, Pal Mickey may never be fully appreciated until he's gone.

...and finally….(shudder)….moleskin. Every time I hear the word moleskin, I get this mental picture of a scared little mole down in a pit and Tinkershell lowering it lotion in a basket. “Think Clarice….what does Tinkershell covet?”

:rotfl::eek:

I have a confession to make about KRR…..we ride it wearing ponchos .....

The problem with the “no poncho” clique is that a lot of them skip the ride altogether because they don’t want to spend the rest of their AK day dripping wet. So…here’s an idea…..and I’m just spit-balling here. Why don’t people ride KRR….but at the same time wear some type of water-proof cloak like….oh I don’t know….perhaps a poncho….and then they can have their cake and eat it too? Plus, they can ride KRR without getting wet.

Keep the same words but switch the K to a G, and you have my feelings on Grizzly River Run at DCA. It is such a fun ride, and if you want to have fun but not get overly drenched, just wear the poncho! We rode GRR 10 times in 2 days in December. :cheer2:

Lovin' the report, do continue, please! Though honestly I'm feeling great shame for my own reports at this point...people say they like 'em, but I think I'm going to have to retire, after reading yours.

Loving your TR.

I have to admit, I don't post often. I am more of a DL - Disney Lurker. I read everyone else's TR's and wish it were me! Soon... very soon. The DH and I have takes the kids twice, but next year, for our 15th anniversary, we are dropping our beloved little ones with the Grandparents and running, running like the wind to the World. So until then, I shall continue lurking and enjoying you TR!!

:rotfl::eek:

Lovin' the report, do continue, please! Though honestly I'm feeling great shame for my own reports at this point...people say they like 'em, but I think I'm going to have to retire, after reading yours.

Don't be too hard on yourself......your reports probably included information that people would actually find useful. Mine....not so much

Loving your TR.

I have to admit, I don't post often. I am more of a DL - Disney Lurker. I read everyone else's TR's and wish it were me! Soon... very soon. The DH and I have takes the kids twice, but next year, for our 15th anniversary, we are dropping our beloved little ones with the Grandparents and running, running like the wind to the World. So until then, I shall continue lurking and enjoying you TR!!

Thanks.

15th anniversary coming up...good for you. We are celebrating our 20th in August. I was a child groom.....

Chpt 15 – I’d like to leave a wake-up call for the end of this TR

Ok…so the sun was slowly beginning to set on our first full day at WDW….and not a moment too soon either because Pal Mickey could barely keep his eyes open. Don’t get me wrong…I’m not dissing his stamina…Pal Mickey’s my boy. Its just… once he gets inside a park he’s constantly buzzing and spouting useful information all day….which apparently is quite taxing. Plus, I got this sweet deal on his last set of batteries…..and sometimes in life….you get what you pay for.

Anyway, we did a quick double-check of our AK to-do list to make sure that we hadn’t forgotten anything critical:
EE: check
KRR w/ cheater ponchos: check
Break the "don’t feed the birds" rule: check
Frame DD Woobie for breaking the "don’t feed the birds" rule: check
Traumatize DD Woobie at ITTBAB: check and double-check
Save Lil Red from almost certain death: check
Find and tag DeVine for scientific research: pending
View FOLK w/o bleating: check
Wait way too long for parade: check
Finding Nemo – the Musical: curiously…no check

Last time we were at AK, Finding Nemo – the Musical had only been a glimmer in Disney’s eye so….obviously…it was a must do on this trip. Although, to be honest, there was a little dissension in the troops as to whether we wanted to see Finding Nemo – the Musical or to instead opt for the slightly less popular Finding Nemo – the Spaghetti Western. Then again, we had also heard some good things about Finding Nemo – the Short-film Foreign Documentary as well….so as you can plainly see……we had a difficult genre decision to make. Ultimately, we went with the musical…..with Pal Mickey issuing a dissenting opinion for Finding Nemo – the Silent Comedy. He’s a sucker for slapstick.

The journey over to the Nemo theater was my last crack at DeVine and I wasn’t about to waste it. I enlisted Pal Mickey’s help because he had a keen eye and…well…the rest of the family had long-since grown weary of my mindless obsession with this vegetative venus and had turned their backs on me in my hour of greatest need. Those are the times where you find out who your true friends are….and Pal Mickey was always there for me. Plus…..I promised to buy him some better batteries if he helped.

We hadn’t much luck from the pathway so we decided to blindly crash through the bushes wailing DeeeeeeViiiiiiiine at the top of our lungs. Apparently, it must have been slow going because I noticed that Tinkershell and the kids were soon far ahead of us…..almost as if they didn’t know us. It’s surprising how often that happens. I guess they’re just fast walkers.

Dirty and discouraged, we emerged from the underbrush in front of the Nemo theater. Curses....foiled again. Tinkershell and the kids allowed us to rejoin the party....after we had brushed off most of the leaves and picked the sticks out of Pal Mickey's fur.....and we found our seats for Finding Nemo......the Musical.

We really enjoyed Nemo....but then again....our favorite movie in the world is "Dumb and Dumber"....so you might want to take that review with a grain of salt. They use puppets for the fish and stuff and the people operating them are doing all the singing….which was pretty cool. At one point, I crammed my hand up the back of Pal Mickey’s santa coat and pretended he was singing along with Nemo. I thought it was pretty funny. Pal Mickey….not so much.

The kids had a hankering for some mini pizzas before we left so we headed off to Pizzasaurus…..because we suspected they might serve pizzas. Just call it a hunch. On the way, we stopped by Flame Tree BBQ and picked up an order of onion rings using a snack credit. It breaks my heart that things like onion rings are no longer on the snack credit list. Blast you change! But you know what they say…..a dining plan is a fickle mistress. Who says that you ask? Well, I could tell you ….but I’d have to ask you not to share it with anyone else.

So, we ordered the kids their pizzas and Tinkershell and I divvied up there desserts. Yup….that’s one of the great things about our kids……they don’t care for most desserts. I know….that sounds like the kind of thing you’d find on the front of the National Enquirer right next to “300 pound cat eats owner” but it’s true. Well…..obviously it would be wrong on so many levels to waste a perfectly good dessert….so Tinkershell and I had to take one for the team. Nobody said parenting was going to be easy. By the way, Tinkershell claimed that Pizzasaurus had the world's best chocolate cake....but then again...she eats cheese on her jelly toast....so you might want to take that review with a grain of salt.

On the way out of the park, we swung through the Rain Tree Café gift shop because the kids wanted a souvenir. DD Woobie bought a cute little stuffed panda which….for some reason….she mostly wore like a hat. After careful deliberation, DS Buddy settled for a refrigerator magnet with his name on it. So the question is, what do you buy a boy that has everything? Apparently, it’s a kitchen magnet.

Next up: Chpt 16 - Day 2....which means day 1 only took fifteen chapters...great

but then again....our favorite movie in the world is "Dumb and Dumber"

Why am I not surprised!

but then again...she eats cheese on her jelly toast....

So, was this the clue that you were both meant to be together?

I have a feeling that in order to find DeVine, you have to be not looking for her. The next time you go to AK, tell yourself that you aren't looking for anything in particular and poof, she'll be there. That's the secret you're missing. I've seen her countless times....when I'm not looking for her, and then when I want to find her, no luck!

BTW - Don't go so long between updates, okay? I already have fears that you'll leave this TR unfinished. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter