The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey

Wow, no pizza at dinner?:confused3 The whole concept of an Italian restaurant in a kidcopia envivronment without pizza? Inconceivable! Someone might want to mention that the next time they go, I'm just sayin. . .

From your lips to Tony's ears

Sorry about your wishes miss. I hope that you get to see it later in the trip. Congrats on Woobie getting to be in the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. When DH and I went in 2007, he was "that guy". Not only was he "that guy" it was during Christmas and he had his striped santa micky ears hat on. It only added to the comedy!:lmao:

Kodos to your DH....sounds like a good sport.

Someone took a great picture of the castle show. Wishes or no wishes, that is the question. I suppose we are to learn soon the fate of pal Mickey. I will be waiting.

We should all be worried about our prospects of seeing Wishes...believe me....it's not looking good. As for Pal Mickey......we'll see.

Dream Fastpasses! We actually got Dream Fastpasses at Epcot and Magic Kingdom on our last trip. I am glad you were tipped off. That is quite a picture you painted of your wife's trying to get your attention.:rotfl:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Love the Panic Attack family! Peter you are HILARIOUS!!! I'm afraid you are affecting the productivity of my office as well . . . however the morale of our office has significantly increased as we :rotfl2:together! Thanks for brightening our days and will be SAD when this comes to an end!

Dream Fastpasses! We actually got Dream Fastpasses at Epcot and Magic Kingdom on our last trip. I am glad you were tipped off. That is quite a picture you painted of your wife's trying to get your attention.:rotfl:

I had to go back in my chapter and change the references to "Dream Fastpass" because I called them something else. Not that I was wrong mind you....I like to think of it as being eventually correct.

Dream Fastpasses at MK would probably be the best. We didn't use ours a ton at DHS because the crowds were so light. Most of our little fastpass tabs are still intact.

Tinkershell claims that I exaggerated her efforts to get my attention...but I just call em like I see em.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Love the Panic Attack family! Peter you are HILARIOUS!!! I'm afraid you are affecting the productivity of my office as well . . . however the morale of our office has significantly increased as we :rotfl2:together! Thanks for brightening our days and will be SAD when this comes to an end!

Thanks....you don't suppose I'm responsible for the recession do you?

Is it just me...or is that Kate Gosselin over Pal Mickey's shoulder? But where's Jon? Hmmmmm...interesting.
178_7827.jpg

That DOES look like Kate. Just without one of her own kids. She probably "borrowed" someone else's kid as part of her disguise. Too bad she got caught by the Panic Attacks.

That DOES look like Kate. Just without one of her own kids. She probably "borrowed" someone else's kid as part of her disguise. Too bad she got caught by the Panic Attacks.

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to fool the Panic Attacks. Plus....the "borrowed kid" disguise is the oldest trick in the book. You're going to have to do better than that Kate.

I, too, have now been indoctrinated into your humorous verbosity. I was alerted by my sister who, while reading and laughing her rumpus off, thought you may be my twin brother - seperated at birth. Yes, the witty humor is close - but, if true, we must have been fraternal... even though I don't belong to any fraternity. I do sometimes lie and tell people I am a member of the Skaggs Alpha Beta fraternity (what can I say... I love food.)

Anyway, I look forward to more wit (hopefully) soon. BTW: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have officially subscribed.

Do you write for a living? Or blog? I would love to read more of your musings.

I have a family trip in about a month, and was going to post a TR... but I doubt I could add any more to your 75 pages (or however many pages this ends up being.)

Please hurry - I need another hit soon!

We won Dream Fastpasses at MGM(it was still called that then)!
We still had tabs left also. But, I was totally excited about them.

Did Tinkershell have help from TGM for her non-negotiable itineray?
It just sounds like the same plan I had. But, now with TSM it has to change!
I hopeing you have a report on that!

Chpt 32 – A day at the park formerly known as Disney MGM.
Eh, I still call it MGM. No former anything.

Next thing I know...those two were going at it like Simon and Paula.....or Kara DioGuardi and the bikini girl if you prefer.
It still makes me mad that I even know who Kara DioGuardi and Bikini Girl are.

Is it just me...or is that Kate Gosselin over Pal Mickey's shoulder? But where's Jon? Hmmmmm...interesting.
Oh come on...like we didn't see THAT one coming.

I'm pretty sure we would have brought a little more pizzazz to the production.
I'm quite certain that is a true statement.

Turns out Tinkershell wasn’t crazy....who knew?
She married you, didn't she? :rolleyes1

In our case, we didn’t even stick around for the show. We just grabbed our dream fastpasses and hit the exit. How’s that for gratitude.
May seem a little suspicious that you were tipped off if you didn't actually VISIT One Man's Dream once you got the Dream Passes. I'm just sayin'.

This little group ran across the open area of Space Mountain (you know, where the line is still outside the building in the open area and there are chains and stanchions all over....). Lets just say that my own mother had a hissy fit and immediately complained to the CM, who promptly did nothing but give a blank stare.

Not trying to hijack this at all - but I spent the day yesterday at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. On all the major attractions I noticed signs all over the place saying "cutting in line is cause for ejection from the park" (or something along those lines) As a regular Disney visitor I thought "yeah right". But while us weenies in our group were sitting outside drinking Diet Pepsi waiting on the others to ride one of the roller coasters we heard the ride monitor (or whatever they call cast members there) get on her speaker and announce several times cutting was cause for ejection - obviously in the way she was wording it she had noticed someone and was going to try to guilt them into going back where they belonged. When the others rejoined us weenies they said there was some mild commotion in the line - they were up ahead and couldn't see what was going on. We didn't see anyone get hauled out, but after 2 or 3 times of yelling over her speaker we never heard her anymore, so they must have either gone back, left, or got taken out. That and the Diet Pepsi were the only things Disney could take lessons on from Busch Gardens!

I just wanted to let people know that I'm a little swamped with the holiday....what with all of my fatherly duties....but I haven't gone awol. I probably won't get a chance to post any replies or write another chapter until Monday.....sorry....but thank you in advance for not throwing rotten eggs or overly ripe vegetables with your little smilie guys.....because I've given my little smilie janitor the weekend off.

Happy 4th of July!

That's wierd...we posted at exactly same time. It's also wierd that you have Randi next to your little smiley because that's my sisters name.....and you don't run into it a lot.
So this comment is really late in response but oh well. But yea, that is my name and as uncommon (and horribly ugly [no offense to your sister, I hate my name]) as it is, there are two other Randis in my grade at school. Its pretty weird actually...:rolleyes:
But congrats on winning, or should I say "stealthily stealing", a dream fastpass! Should I take that as the weird feeling you had been recieving or does that come up later in the TR? Hmmm.

I, too, have now been indoctrinated into your humorous verbosity. I was alerted by my sister who, while reading and laughing her rumpus off, thought you may be my twin brother - seperated at birth. Yes, the witty humor is close - but, if true, we must have been fraternal... even though I don't belong to any fraternity. I do sometimes lie and tell people I am a member of the Skaggs Alpha Beta fraternity (what can I say... I love food.)

You are not by any chance related to a crazyfordisney2000 are you?

Here's a interesting little nugget, in real life I have two brothers....and to be honest....they're not that funny. Maybe a little peculiar.

Anyway, I look forward to more wit (hopefully) soon. BTW: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have officially subscribed.

I kid you not....we watch that movie continuously at Christmas time. Actually...it doesn't even have to be Christmas.

Do you write for a living? Or blog? I would love to read more of your musings.

Nope...this is basically it. Although, Tinkershell strong-arms me into writing a christmas letter each year which people seem to find entertaining....but I get to limit that to one page. Yup...those were the days.

I have a family trip in about a month, and was going to post a TR... but I doubt I could add any more to your 75 pages (or however many pages this ends up being.)

Please hurry - I need another hit soon

Sadly....I'll probably hit 75 pages before we finish our MGM lunch.

You've got to write a trip report though....its your duty.

Barring unforseen technical difficulties...there should be a chapter today....hopefully.

We won Dream Fastpasses at MGM(it was still called that then)!
We still had tabs left also. But, I was totally excited about them.

Did Tinkershell have help from TGM for her non-negotiable itineray?
It just sounds like the same plan I had. But, now with TSM it has to change!
I hopeing you have a report on that!

Yup....Tinkershell's non-negotiable itinerary has its roots in Tour Guide Mike....who seems to be a pretty knowledgeable fella.

TSM was not around for our last trip....so we don't know what the strategy is yet....but we will figure it out before December. Hopefully, it doesn't involve scaling fences and sneaking in the park early....because I have some lower back issues stemming from a beer keg related accident back in college. Why didn't I lift with my legs?

Eh, I still call it MGM. No former anything.

But eventually...over time....the name MGM will be forgotten.....and then when you call it by that name....you're going to come off looking like some type of nut.

It still makes me mad that I even know who Kara DioGuardi and Bikini Girl are.

I think its healthy to air our dirty laundry every now and then. I'm not sure I would have picked this little nugget however.

She married you, didn't she? :rolleyes1.

Actually, you make a valid point.....hurtful but valid.

May seem a little suspicious that you were tipped off if you didn't actually VISIT One Man's Dream once you got the Dream Passes. I'm just sayin'.

Ahhh....but the deed was done....so we didn't need to continue the dance of deception. It was all harmless fun anyway.....it's not like we were faking dinner reservations the whole vacation.

Not trying to hijack this at all - but I spent the day yesterday at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. On all the major attractions I noticed signs all over the place saying "cutting in line is cause for ejection from the park" (or something along those lines) As a regular Disney visitor I thought "yeah right". But while us weenies in our group were sitting outside drinking Diet Pepsi waiting on the others to ride one of the roller coasters we heard the ride monitor (or whatever they call cast members there) get on her speaker and announce several times cutting was cause for ejection - obviously in the way she was wording it she had noticed someone and was going to try to guilt them into going back where they belonged. When the others rejoined us weenies they said there was some mild commotion in the line - they were up ahead and couldn't see what was going on. We didn't see anyone get hauled out, but after 2 or 3 times of yelling over her speaker we never heard her anymore, so they must have either gone back, left, or got taken out. That and the Diet Pepsi were the only things Disney could take lessons on from Busch Gardens!

Actually, the comments about line jumpers haven't been too bad. I had serious second thoughts about ever mentioning it in my TR....because it makes people so dang angry.

So this comment is really late in response but oh well. But yea, that is my name and as uncommon (and horribly ugly [no offense to your sister, I hate my name]) as it is, there are two other Randis in my grade at school. Its pretty weird actually...:rolleyes:
But congrats on winning, or should I say "stealthily stealing", a dream fastpass! Should I take that as the weird feeling you had been recieving or does that come up later in the TR? Hmmm.

You definitely don't run into the name very often....except at your grade school apparently. It seems totally normal to me because I was around it my whole life.

As for the fastpasses.....all's fair in love and war....and dream fastpasses

But eventually...over time....the name MGM will be forgotten.....and then when you call it by that name....you're going to come off looking like some type of nut.
Like calling that other park Epcot Center? Yeah...good point.

Ahhh....but the deed was done....so we didn't need to continue the dance of deception. It was all harmless fun anyway.....it's not like we were faking dinner reservations the whole vacation.
Hey man, whatever gets food in my belly. It's not like we ate for free. We just...manipulated the system a little...in our favor.

You are not by any chance related to a crazyfordisney2000 are you?

I don't think so, but my family tree has limbs like Yahoo Serious' hair circa 1988 - so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I kid you not....we watch that movie continuously at Christmas time. Actually...it doesn't even have to be Christmas.

As do we. Actually we rotate NL Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, and Elf continuosly from around Black Friday through the first week of January.

Sadly....I'll probably hit 75 pages before we finish our MGM lunch.

Some people may think you are joking about that. I think I know you well enough already to know better.

You've got to write a trip report though....its your duty.

I certainly will, but it may have to be the Cliff's Notes version.

Barring unforseen technical difficulties...there should be a chapter today....hopefully.

My family and co-workers would appreciate that. I have been jonesing all weekend for more!

Chpt 33 - More MGM stuff...probably

Obviously, with the advent of the Dream Fastpasses.... our whole outlook on the day had changed. Because now the sky was the limit.....and the world was our oyster.....although frankly I don’t care for oysters.....so I asked if I could substitute for the onion rings....and they let me, all because of the Dream Fastpasses. For those of you who have never experienced the blessing of a Dream Fastpass.....it’s a beautiful blue laminated card about the size of a checkbook attached to a thin rope so you can hang it around your neck. Down both sides of the card, there were these nifty little tabs...each one adorned with the name of one of the fastpass attractions at the park. With these magical Dream Fastpasses in your possession......you no longer had to battle the unwashed masses at the fastpass machines. Instead, you could proceed directly to the fastpass CM and present your Dream Fastpasses. The CM in turn, would remove the appropriate tab....bow deeply from the waist....release a basket of snow-white doves....and then roll out a red carpet lined on both sides with minstrels playing long silver trumpets... which you would then walk upon as you were ushered down the fastpass lane (the carpet not the minstrels)...followed by young maidens tossing rose petals from a basket. I’m just kidding.....there were no maidens. To be honest....the best thing about the Dream Fastpass was it just made you feel like such a winner to wear it around your neck. Granted....sometimes they’re not the most noticeable little things in the world. But I found that if you held them out at arms length....and stuck them right under peoples noses as they passed by....that made them pretty hard to miss.

Even after all of the excitement of the morning, we still wanted to go on the Great Movie Ride. After all....it used to be the crown jewel attraction of MGM....shining like a bright beacon of Disney-ness at the far end of Hollywood Blvd. Of course, that was before they crammed a ginormous sorcerers cap all up in its grill. Tinkershell and I first rode this attraction nearly 20 years ago on our honeymoon (I was a child groom) and it hasn’t changed a bit. The only problem with TGMR was some of the parts were too intense for Pal Mickey. He cried during the alien part....and the wicked witch of the west part....and the Bert the chimney sweep part.....because of his unreasonable fear of soot.

Are you going to cry Pal Mickey? Are you going to squirt some, huh?
178_7835.jpg

After TGMR, we planned to make the long journey to the Backlot Tour..because Pal Mickey has always been fascinated with the inner workings of stuff. Once, when he was just a little guy, he decided to try to change his own batteries. By the time anyone notice what he was up to, he was spread out all over the room like the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz after the flying monkeys finished roughing him up. I teased him for weeks. "I could think of things I've never thunk before....and then I'd sit and think some more."

While I was busy reminiscing about teasing Pal Mickey, Tinkershell had been feverishly studying her MGM map....and suddenly proclaimed in her finest outdoor voice...that she had discovered a secret short-cut to the Backstage Tour. Yikes. Normally, Tinkershell and directions mix like oil and water...or Donald Trump and Rosy O’Donnell if you prefer. But...since she had never really shown any interest in navigational matters before...and because I wanted to foster this new-found interest so maybe she would stop handing me the telephone every time someone needed directions to our home....I decided to give her a shot. Apparently, our little Helpy Helperton had noticed on the MGM map that the end of New York Street was right next to the entrance for the Backlot Tour.

Unfortunately, what Tinkershell’s map didn’t show was that there was a large padlocked wooden gate standing between the two of them. How large you ask? Do you remember the giant wooden gate that the island natives built in the movie King Kong? You do? Well...it was nothing like that. I mean, let’s get real here people......the MGM gate was for like... service vehicles or something......whereas the gate from King Kong was an attempt to keep a ginormous gorilla away from a scantily-clad Jessica Lange...or Fay Wray showing a little ankle if you pine for the more wholesome days of yore. My point is....surely you can see that these two gates were designed for vastly different purposes...and subsequently...the construction of a towering wall of giant timbers held together by jungle vines at the end of Hollywood Blvd would have been a incredible waste of resources. Anyway, long story short (hucifer: too late), we ended up having to retrace our steps back to TGMR...which incidently....was where this whole sorted short-cut debacle had started. If you’re looking for a silver lining in Tinkershell’s gray cloud....we did bump into Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable along the way. To be honest....I’d never heard of them....but the kids seemed excited about it....and of course Pal Mickey’s got this thing for redheads...so there you go.

Good thing we took Tinkershell's long-cut....although I'm not sure Ron is putting out a superhero "vibe"
178_7837.jpg

So after backtracking a tad (A tad? A tad, Lloyd? You drove almost a sixth of the way across the country in the wrong direction), we finally arrived at the entrance to the Backlot Tour. While we were standing in line....Tinkershell and I must have been radiating a certain star-like quality...because a CM came up and asked us if we wanted to be in the show. “That would be awesome.....let me just get my agent on the line so we can iron out the details. First...I'd like a black S500 to pick me up at the entrance. I need the interior of the car to be 71 degrees exactly.” You know...standard stuff...nothing too fancy. I’m not asking for anything that....say... Tom Cruise wouldn’t get.

The Panic Attacks will be available for autographs following the performance.
178_7841.jpg

I should mention that Tinkershell and I were no strangers to the spotlight at WDW. Tinkershell’s resume’ included a previous appearance in the Backlot Tour...where she had played Captain Duck to much critical acclaim. Also, she had appeared in the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular in the role of "random shopper dressed in robes". As for myself, I had previously provided the voice of the “monster” in the now defunct Monster Sound Show....and on a seperate occasion.... had been selected to go up on stage and shake my moneymaker at the Spirit of Aloha Luau. So I think you’ll all agree.....we rock.

Anyway, the Backlot Tour CM obviously thought we rocked....because we were whisked off to wardrobe to get ready for the show. In a shocking twist, I was given the role of Capt. Duck while Tinkershell was cast in the lessor role of the person who steers the tug boat and then gets pummeled by a ginormous wave. We’re not sure why Tinkershell didn’t get the Capt. Duck role....because she had absolutely nailed it the last time she played it. It’s possible that she had been blacklisted.....because she can be a bit of a diva if you catch my drift....whereas I'm much more reasonable to work with. Anyway....we were both totally on our game...and if I remember right....received a standing ovation at the end of the performance. To be honest...the people could have just been getting up to leave.....it was hard to tell because I was looking at things from the bottom of a deep flourishing bow. On the way out we almost forgot Pal Mickey. Wow....that would have been a bummer. That settles it....first thing in the morning I'm getting him a lanyard.

Next up: Chpt 34 - Well, it's lunch time....so you know what that means.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter