The Darling Family Takes on Marathon Weekend: Jan at the Boardwalk Villas

So I just showed the pics of your kids (so darn cute!) to my youngest daughter who is 10. She really wants one of those medals now. I think we may sign up for a Disney 5K and run as a family. Do you know if you get medals or some kind of "bling" for a 5K? Thanks and I am enjoying your TR!

I am loving your report. We will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas for our Christmas trip in December. We have stayed in a one bedroom before but this will be our first time in a 2 bedroom. Great hearing all about your trip!

Great pictures from the Mickey Mile! I love that they have races for the kids. It is so much fun for them to have their moment to shine!

Awesome Awesome! on your kids running the mile. They looked so cute in their little bibs and medals.

006.jpg

007.jpg

I should have purchased that shirt. I wasn't too thrilled with most of the merchandise. What I had really wanted was a black tech shirt with the RunDisney logo that everyone got who ran with Jeff Galloway that Friday morning before the Wine and Dine 1/2 in October. I was really hoping they'd have some shirts like that. They didn't. The only thing I bought was the full marathon designed vinyl Mickey. I don't collect the vinyl's but I thought that one was cool.

Dolce27-I just read your last year's marathon report and really enjoyed it. Will be doing one this year?

Hey thanks! Is that thing still around?? :confused3 I'm not writing anything this year. I'll leave the reporting up to Jenny here. :goodvibes Just note that I stayed in the same hotel as her and ran the same race as her. And she can tell it better than me. :teeth:

How great that the kids could get involved! I think I could get two of mine to join in, but the 16 year old wouldn't even consider it. :rolleyes: It's good to get them started when they are young! I can't wait to hear about the race!

Way to go Darling children:goodvibes I would never been able to keep up with them! Poor Michael I hope he recovered quickly!

I wholeheartedly recommend a family marathon trip! Are you still homeschooling? If you are it is even better because you don't have to worry about taking the kids out of school! I bet you could convince your DH to run with too and then the whole family can get in on it! It was so great having the kids be a part of the whole thing. They wore their medals most of the week and received lots of congratulations!

Yes, we're still homeschooling. The problem is going to be convincing dh to take another family trip. :rolleyes1 I had agreed to no more until he retires from the Navy in 2013. We'll see. I guess I could always plan a half-marathon trip for 2013!

So I just showed the pics of your kids (so darn cute!) to my youngest daughter who is 10. She really wants one of those medals now. I think we may sign up for a Disney 5K and run as a family. Do you know if you get medals or some kind of "bling" for a 5K? Thanks and I am enjoying your TR!
Your daughter will love running a Disney race! The Disney 5Ks usually have great bling which is nice because most 5Ks don't give medals. They are made of the same rubbery stuff as the Mickey Mile Medals. This year they were Toy Story 3 themed and they were so cute! I saw people wearing them and it made me envious. My current plan is to do the 5K and the half next year. I hope the medals have a cute theme.

wow great pictures!!!!

I'm glad to see the kids enjoyed doing it! Hopefully Michael will feel better :)
The kids loved it, but Michael sure suffered afterwards.

I am loving your report. We will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas for our Christmas trip in December. We have stayed in a one bedroom before but this will be our first time in a 2 bedroom. Great hearing all about your trip!
The BWV will be such a great place for a Christmas stay! That short walk over to World Showcase will be great because you'll have plenty of opportunity to see all the Christmas activities there. The 2 bedroom was awesome! It was our first time in a 2 bedroom too and we did it because the point requirements were so low in January. It is going to be tough to go back to the 1 bedroom.

Great pictures from the Mickey Mile! I love that they have races for the kids. It is so much fun for them to have their moment to shine!
It really was great to include the kids in the weekend. It was so fun for all of us to wear our medals around the rest of the week too.

Awesome Awesome! on your kids running the mile. They looked so cute in their little bibs and medals.

I should have purchased that shirt. I wasn't too thrilled with most of the merchandise. What I had really wanted was a black tech shirt with the RunDisney logo that everyone got who ran with Jeff Galloway that Friday morning before the Wine and Dine 1/2 in October. I was really hoping they'd have some shirts like that. They didn't. The only thing I bought was the full marathon designed vinyl Mickey. I don't collect the vinyl's but I thought that one was cool.
I thought that was the best marathon shirt they offered, but I liked the half marathon one better. It was purple, which is my favorite color. I was hoping they would have a picture frame, but they didn't. Did you notice that the Goofy tech shirts were black this year? My DH really liked them.

How great that the kids could get involved! I think I could get two of mine to join in, but the 16 year old wouldn't even consider it. :rolleyes: It's good to get them started when they are young! I can't wait to hear about the race!
It is great that they kids were all excited about it. Who know what they will do when they are 16? Eventually I'll get to my race and then you'll hear more than you wanted to know:laughing:

Way to go Darling children:goodvibes I would never been able to keep up with them! Poor Michael I hope he recovered quickly!
That is why DH ran with them. I would have never kept up!

Yes, we're still homeschooling. The problem is going to be convincing dh to take another family trip. :rolleyes1 I had agreed to no more until he retires from the Navy in 2013. We'll see. I guess I could always plan a half-marathon trip for 2013!
2013 will be here before you know it and I'm pretty sure Marthon weekend will still be around! By then all of your boys would be able to do the 5K pretty easily I bet:thumbsup2

Welcome! Happy that you're here:goodvibes

Wow, look at that starting line, lotso kids! Was there an actual line? It looks like everyone is just sort of standing together.

He ran by and yelled at me, “I have no idea where Wendy and John are. Michael just took off.”
:rotfl:

That's a great pic of John running. And of he and Wendy at the Finish Line.

Oh Jenny.... LMBO! MICHAEL!! The things he said, the way he looks in the pics... :rotfl: Poor guy!

The medal is so cute!

Hi Jenny :wave2:

I'm a bit late joining in but was excited to see your TR and look forward to hearing about your race and the rest of your week :)

Congrats to the kids on their race, Wendy especially looks so proud :goodvibes Poor Michael though, I was laughing at his pictures, I can totally see Jean doing something like that - when she decides to go its full speed or nothing!

I love that you all participated in the races, I'm hoping to get Ella at least walking with me this summer (I usually do 5k every weekend at the cottage) and we might try running.

Enjoying all your details as usual, keep them coming :thumbsup2

Lara

I thought that was the best marathon shirt they offered, but I liked the half marathon one better. It was purple, which is my favorite color. I was hoping they would have a picture frame, but they didn't. Did you notice that the Goofy tech shirts were black this year? My DH really liked them.

I think the full marathon gets the worst of the merchandise - not to mention the least. I think you have to be doing either the half or the Goofy if you want a good merchandise selection. If I go back for 2012 I'm doing the half. Then maybe I'll get a nice t-shirt. ;) About the Goofy tech shirts - I remember the 2010 shirts being black but I thought I saw them white for this year? :confused3 But what do I know?

Wow, look at that starting line, lotso kids! Was there an actual line? It looks like everyone is just sort of standing together.

He ran by and yelled at me, “I have no idea where Wendy and John are. Michael just took off.”
:rotfl:

That's a great pic of John running. And of he and Wendy at the Finish Line.

Oh Jenny.... LMBO! MICHAEL!! The things he said, the way he looks in the pics... :rotfl: Poor guy!

The medal is so cute
I've been thinking about this too. I would love to get the 5K medal(s) from any of these Disney race weekends. I'm going to do any I can!
I actually was a bit disappointed in the official race pictures. Really the only decent one they got was of John running. The finish line ones are after they have crossed. And they didn't get any of Michael. Those 5K medals really were cute this year, weren't they? I hope they are just as cute next year. I wonder what the theme will be? Does Disney have any movies coming out this summer?

THAT is not possible!! :lmao:
It may be possible when I do 26 updates for the one race:rotfl: It won't be quite that bad, but I definitely can get long winded!

Hi Jenny :wave2:

I'm a bit late joining in but was excited to see your TR and look forward to hearing about your race and the rest of your week :)

Congrats to the kids on their race, Wendy especially looks so proud :goodvibes Poor Michael though, I was laughing at his pictures, I can totally see Jean doing something like that - when she decides to go its full speed or nothing!

I love that you all participated in the races, I'm hoping to get Ella at least walking with me this summer (I usually do 5k every weekend at the cottage) and we might try running.

Enjoying all your details as usual, keep them coming :thumbsup2

Lara
Welcome! It's good to see you. You aren't very late at all. We are just getting started! The kids' races were lots of fun and Wendy especially enjoyed them. I'd like to do another family 5K this summer. It is fun for all of us.

I think the full marathon gets the worst of the merchandise - not to mention the least. I think you have to be doing either the half or the Goofy if you want a good merchandise selection. If I go back for 2012 I'm doing the half. Then maybe I'll get a nice t-shirt. ;) About the Goofy tech shirts - I remember the 2010 shirts being black but I thought I saw them white for this year? :confused3 But what do I know?
I think you're right about the marathon merchandising. The half obviously gets the best because there are so many more people running it. Then the Goofy because they figure if you are running the Goofy you are probably a Disney fan so you're more likely to buy the stuff. The only reason I noticed the black tech shirts is because DH was coveting them. He prefers the darker colors.

We headed out to wait in line for the Saratoga Springs bus. We had just missed one, but the Boardwalk bus was sitting right in front of us. Michael was still having a rough time of things.:sick: He told DH that even though he really wanted to go to the Lego store he thought he’d should go back to the room for a rest instead. So DH took him back to the room. Meanwhile Wendy, John and I waited for the SSR bus which finally showed up. We made it to SSR and to once again show you how distracted I was by the upcoming 26.2 miles I took no pictures at SSR.:confused3 We walked over to Downtown Disney where I finally snapped a picture.

disneyday1066.jpg

I thought it was cute the Christmas decorations were still up. Originally the plan had been to head to the Lego store, but I felt bad about doing that without Michael. So instead we decided we’d get lunch at Wolfgang Pucks and then shop at World of Disney and stop by Goofy’s Candy Company before we headed back to the Boardwalk. Lunch was delicious, but once again distracted me has no pictures.:rolleyes1 This is by far the best value for a CS on the dining plan though. Our bill for 3 meals was $50! After our meal we headed over to the World of Disney where we did some shopping. My newest nephew was born on December 21 so we bought these for him.

moredisney11042.jpg

moredisney11045.jpg

He has a big sister so we bought her this.

moredisney11039.jpg

Plus I knew I wanted a picture frame for my race picture. I was hoping they would have one that was race specific at the Expo, but they didn't so I bought this one.

moredisney11037.jpg

I’ve been looking for picture frames for each park for a few trips now. They had one for Magic Kingdom.

moredisney11038.jpg

Plus we needed a photo book for all the pictures I anticipated taking this trip. I liked the 40th Anniversary theme of this one.

moredisney11043.jpg

Wendy also bought me a birthday present.:goodvibes

moredisney11040.jpg

And of course we had to get the buy with purchase thing.;)

moredisney11036.jpg

So it turned into quite the little shopping spree. Last stop was Goofy’s Candy Company. Even though the Make Your Own Treats aren’t on the dining plan anymore they are still a must do for the Darling Family. Here is how Wendy and John entertained themselves while we were waiting for our treats.

disneyday1068.jpg

disneyday1070.jpg

And here are the delicious finished products which we nibbled on for most of the week.

disneyday1071.jpg

Then we hopped back onto a bus for the ride back to the Boardwalk. It was my birthday evening and I wanted to spend it in my favorite place with my favorite people. Would Michael be up for it?popcorn::

I have never tried the make your own treats at Goofy's....thats on the to do list for next time!

Your TR just reminded me, I never purchased a 2010 frame...:headache: Whoops!!

I hope your birthday evening ended up going good :goodvibes

Mmmmm, I love Goofy's! Last time I got an apple covered with stuff and I could barely find the apple under all the goodies! I paid for it dearly (since I don't normally eat that kind of stuff) but it was WELL worth it!

Poor Michael! I hope he felt better for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter