The Darling Family Takes on Marathon Weekend: Jan at the Boardwalk Villas

Hooray, you've started a new report!

Congrats on finishing the marathon - talk about impressive! I wish I could do something like that...I tried to take up running last year, and I actually really enjoyed it, but my knees sure didn't!

Love the expo! Hate the crowds! Did you try Michael's warm up method before the marathon?
The Expo crowds are a bit much. I defintiely didn't try Michael's warm up technique. Just the thought of me sprinting is pure comedy:lmao:

I'm in! A little late, I know. So excited to read the rest!

I have enjoyed all of your TR! My favorite is the one at the Beach Club! I would love to stay there or the YC someday.

Do you like the BWI better than the BC/YC? It might not be a fair question considering BWI is a villa but if it was a regular room what would you say? I know that you seemed to have like AKL as well. Just curious.

Keep them coming. . .
You aren't late at all. We're just getting started. As far as choosing between the Beach Club and the Boardwalk I have to say a lot depends on time of year. If you take Stormalong Bay out I like Boardwalk better no question. There is just such a fun vibe over there. It's such a fun place to come back to at night. However, Stormalong Bay is a little like heaven:cloud9: So that trumps the Boardwalk in the summer when you can spend lots of time there. For a trip during cooler parts of the year I say Boardwalk.

Joining In! popcorn::

Congrats on finishing the marathon! Your birthday wish came true! :yay:
Welcome! My wish did come true! Thank goodness!

Hi! Congrats on your marathon and Happy belated Birthday:banana: I just found your trip report. My computer has a virus so I'm not on as much now. I am the woman you saw on the walkway towards the Contemporary. I was so surprised myself to recognize you and your family. I was with my 3 kids, hubby and sister. My sister and I actually ran the 1/2 marathon on Sat and finished it:banana: My hubby and sister thought I was nuts when i told them how I recognized you. They just shook their heads at me because I am always refering to what I learn on the DIS:thumbsup2 I was just tickled to be mentioned in your report, that before I even finished reading it I called my DH and read the paragragh to him. He thought it was really cool. I then of course called my sister and shared with her. My family all thinks I'm crazy because of my Mouse addiction:lmao: I am even sad now because we probably will not get back their till sunmmer of 2012. Although it is only next year it seemms a long way off. Well I think I have babbled enough for today. Thanks so much for remembering our small conversation that day and again Congrats on your marathon that is awesome:banana::banana:
:banana::banana: It is Monorail girl! I'm so glad you decided to post! It really was a highlight of my day meeting you! And of course I'd include you in the trip report! Getting recognized was great for my ego! Congratulations on your race! I hope it was great and you had tons of fun! Nothing like a Disney race. I hope you stick around and aren't shy. You can make it a New Year's Resolution to post more on the DIS:laughing:

The kids are so cute getting ready for their run. I can't wait to see how it went!
Thanks. I'm a bit biased, but I think they are pretty cute too.

Just found your latest report, and I am so excited to read it. I am already all caught up thanks to your helpful links!;)

Happy belated birthday, and congrats a thousand times on finishing your race!!!:banana::banana:

Dying to hear all about the full and hear your impressions from start to finish. Interested in whether you were running with anyone this time. I take it there was no Liz this trip.

How great that you were also staying at your DVC home for the 1st time. Can't wait to hear all about the trip. :)
Welcome old friend! I'm glad you're here! You'll hear more than you probably ever wanted to know about the race.:laughing: Liz actually does make a brief appearance in my report. She ran the half again and she cheered me on during the full. But I ran this race alone. It was good though. I felt lots of support on the course from fellow runners and spectators. And it was great to stay at our DVC home. No regrets on choosing the Boardwalk. We all loved it! (Though Michael is still partial to AKV.)

Subscribing
Welcome! Don't be shy!

My goodness there were a lot of folks there! The kids look so cute in the pre-race pictures.
The Expo is super crowded. Not too suprising when you think about how many runners there are. I don't know how many do the 5K, but the half had 28,000 this year and the full had 18,000.

Hooray, you've started a new report!

Congrats on finishing the marathon - talk about impressive! I wish I could do something like that...I tried to take up running last year, and I actually really enjoyed it, but my knees sure didn't!
Welcome! I'm glad you made it over! Running can be tough on the knees. My never bothered me much until I did the training for the marathon. They didn't bother me during the race (thank goodness), but in the days after they hurt. Have you tried the whole speed walking thing? They say that is much easier on the knees.

Hi Jenny!!

I'm a new friend that's joining in! Your title caught my eye in Queen's TR so here I am!

My brother and I sat in the same location at Chef Mickey's last March for my Birthday! We thought it was good location that wasn't as crazy as the rest of the restaurant Our seat was right next to the window looking at Bay Lake!

Can't wait to read some more!

Love the pics of the kids pre-race! I can't believe how crowded the expo was, but I love the merchandise you bought (esp. the I did it! shirt). Can't wait to read more.

Looks like a great start to your birthday/marathon morning. Getting recognised from the Dis, so cool :teeth:

Great breakfast at Cafe Mickey, some good pictures :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more :)

Hi Jenny!!

I'm a new friend that's joining in! Your title caught my eye in Queen's TR so here I am!

My brother and I sat in the same location at Chef Mickey's last March for my Birthday! We thought it was good location that wasn't as crazy as the rest of the restaurant Our seat was right next to the window looking at Bay Lake!

Can't wait to read some more!
Welcome! I love new friends! That was a great location in Chef Mickey's. I know the exact table you are talking about. There were a couple of 20 something girls sitting at that table. We were at the bigger table right next to it. DH noticed the beautiful view and I told him that is the view we will get if we ever stay at BLT (I'd get Lake view. I actually think it's prettier than MK view, but that is another topic.) DH doesn't have much interest in staying that close to the MK, but that gorgeous view might have swayed him a little bit.:)

Love the pics of the kids pre-race! I can't believe how crowded the expo was, but I love the merchandise you bought (esp. the I did it! shirt). Can't wait to read more.
That is a really crowded expo. Much more crowded than other races I've done. On the other hand, it also has way more merchants than other races. So I guess you take the bad with the good.

Looks like a great start to your birthday/marathon morning. Getting recognised from the Dis, so cool :teeth:

Great breakfast at Cafe Mickey, some good pictures :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more :)
The day started off just great! And not to give too much away, but it pretty much stays that way. (Only a minor hiccup or two.)

So it was getting to close to start time for the Mickey Mile. We headed over to the start with the hundreds of other kids doing the race. In typical Disney race fashion we plopped ourselves down on the ground and waited.

disneyday1043.jpg

The plan was for Wendy and John to run by themselves. DH would stay with Michael. The assumption was DH and Michael would be a bit behind Wendy and John. So I headed over to look for a picture taking place. Here is a shot of the starting line.

disneyday1044.jpg

As you can see there were lots of kids. As race time approached Mickey Mouse came out to start things off. The race director introduced him and before he could even say go dozens of kids took off. I’d say it was probably a false start, but once it began there was nothing to do to stop it. So there was no on your mark, get set, go. Here are some of the lead kids.

disneyday1046.jpg

I had no idea where my kids were so I just started snapping pictures. Amazingly I got one with DH in it.

disneyday1047.jpg

He is towards the back on the left side in the red shirt. Presumably Michael is in front of him. He ran by and yelled at me, “I have no idea where Wendy and John are. Michael just took off.” :laughing:

I snapped a few more pictures hoping by some miracle I’d get a shot of the kids. I didn’t. Then I headed for the finish line. On the way I passed by this fellow.

disneyday1053.jpg

The race photographer got one good shot of John during the run.

henry3.jpg

I made it to the finish line and it was utter chaos.:eek: There was no hope of getting a shot of the kids coming over the line. Here are a few shots the race photographer took.

henry4.jpg

Bella1.jpg

I spotted all of the kids and DH and hollered at them. Guess who came over the line first. It was Michael.:banana: He ran the mile in 8 minutes 21 seconds. Next came John who ran it in 8:37 and then Wendy came over the line in 8:51. Good thing it wasn't me who ran it with them. I couldn't keep up with any of them! They all did a great job and I was really proud of them. DH said Michael took off like a shot and sprinted for probably half a mile then had to slow down because he thought he was going to die.:rotfl: He wasn’t doing too hot after the race either. Here is the 1st shot I took of the runners.

disneyday1054.jpg

Wendy loved it and wanted to keep running. John thought it was fun, but was glad to be done. And Michael was pretty much hating life. He definitely doesn’t run races like his Mama (who is a stop and smell the roses kind of racer as you shall see.) Anyway he wasn’t feeling any better in this next shot.

disneyday1056.jpg

So I hustled the kids out of the chaos that was the finish line and took a good look at the medal. Here are some close up shots.

jan005.jpg

jan006.jpg

Then I insisted on taking Finish Shots. Here is what we got. Wendy is pretty adorable.:cutie: and John is his usual laidback self.

disneyday1063.jpg

disneyday1061.jpg

disneyday1059.jpg

Michael is still feeling like he is going to either throw up or die.:rotfl:

disneyday1057.jpg

For this last shot I told them to give a victory cheer. Michael could only raise his arms this much.:lmao:

disneyday1065.jpg

I probably shouldn't find this so amusing, but it is so typical Michael. He is a child of extremes and he has a serious competitive edge. Anyway, it was a great race! The kids liked their medals. Wendy and John were feeling great about things. Michael was just feeling plain exhausted. That kid definitely needs to learn a little moderation.:rolleyes: We headed back for the bus. The plan was to catch a Saratoga Springs bus and then walk to Downtown Disney for lunch. Michael’s utter exhaustion was causing us to rethink our plans. Would we make it to Downtown Disney?

Wow! WTG Michael! But, too funny about how he was feeling afterwards. Poor little guy. ;) The kids all did awesome! :cheer2: Great medals! I'm sure my boys would love to do that race. It's a HUGE maybe that I'll do the half next year and make it a family trip, but if I did, I'd have the boys do the race. :thumbsup2

Oh poor Michael! But he did great! :cheer2:

I am really hoping we can get there next January and my son can do that run -- would 11 be too old????

I am going to sign him up for a mile fun run that goes on in Cape May, NJ in June to see how he likes that one -- He said he wants to start doing 5K's with me so we'll see how the 1 miler goes! :yay:

Loving your report!!!!!!!!! popcorn::

Micheal's faces in the pictures cracked me up.:rotfl: He so reminds me of my DS at that age. Too funny! They all did a great job, though!

Your kids did Great. Poor little Michael - he got the best time but he just pushed himself too hard. Hope he didn't feel bad the rest of the day. I love the medals they got.

Aww bless Michael, he did really well :) Those photos just make me laugh, look at his little face.

Well done to Wendy and John too, they did fantastic and Wendy is just glowing with happiness/pride just like her mama :goodvibes

I'm new around here, but I just read a couple of your trip reports, and I'm learning a lot for my upcoming trip in April. I also have three kids, although they're a bit younger than yours. Our family usually goes to Disneyland, and this is our first WDW trip. I enjoy your enthusiasm and humor, and I'm excited to read more about your race and trip.

Oh my gosh! I couldn't help myself....I was laughing at Michael too. Poor thing. He ran so fast he made himself sick.

Hi there

Great report. I was at the Boardwalk for my first half marathon this year. I'd love to bring my DD next year so I'm looking forward to reading about your trip with you family.

How fun!!! Poor Michael...his face after is too funny...thats the look I have after finishing most races too :rotfl:

The medal they gave out is really cute!!

Poor Michael! I'm sure he wasn't the only one though (even in the adult races). All the kids did great though - they should be so proud of themselves.

Wow! WTG Michael! But, too funny about how he was feeling afterwards. Poor little guy. ;) The kids all did awesome! :cheer2: Great medals! I'm sure my boys would love to do that race. It's a HUGE maybe that I'll do the half next year and make it a family trip, but if I did, I'd have the boys do the race. :thumbsup2
I wholeheartedly recommend a family marathon trip! Are you still homeschooling? If you are it is even better because you don't have to worry about taking the kids out of school! I bet you could convince your DH to run with too and then the whole family can get in on it! It was so great having the kids be a part of the whole thing. They wore their medals most of the week and received lots of congratulations!

Oh poor Michael! But he did great! :cheer2:

I am really hoping we can get there next January and my son can do that run -- would 11 be too old????

I am going to sign him up for a mile fun run that goes on in Cape May, NJ in June to see how he likes that one -- He said he wants to start doing 5K's with me so we'll see how the 1 miler goes! :yay:

Loving your report!!!!!!!!! popcorn::
I think the cut off for the Mickey Mile is 13 so 11 would be just fine. The other kids' races have a younger cut off (I think 9.) That is why we did the Mickey Mile so Wendy could participate too. Though we thought about doing the 5K, but decided it would just be too hard logistically because we weren't getting in until later on Thursday. Your son is plenty old enough for 5Ks. We did a family 5K this past summer and all my kids made it!

Micheal's faces in the pictures cracked me up.:rotfl: He so reminds me of my DS at that age. Too funny! They all did a great job, though!
It was pretty funny how Michael killed himself off. He can laugh at the pictures now, but at the time he wasn't laughing!:laughing:

Your kids did Great. Poor little Michael - he got the best time but he just pushed himself too hard. Hope he didn't feel bad the rest of the day. I love the medals they got.
The medals are super cute, huh. As a racer you know how important those medals are;) Actually Michael was pretty tired not only for the rest of this day, but for several days after. He really overdid it.

Aww bless Michael, he did really well :) Those photos just make me laugh, look at his little face.

Well done to Wendy and John too, they did fantastic and Wendy is just glowing with happiness/pride just like her mama :goodvibes
Wendy enjoyed the race the most I think. After she was done she said, "That was fun. I want to do it again." Always makes me happy to see her smile. As she's getting older she is getting a bit tougher to please.

I'm new around here, but I just read a couple of your trip reports, and I'm learning a lot for my upcoming trip in April. I also have three kids, although they're a bit younger than yours. Our family usually goes to Disneyland, and this is our first WDW trip. I enjoy your enthusiasm and humor, and I'm excited to read more about your race and trip.
Welcome! I'm honored that your first post is in my trip report:goodvibes You will love WDW, but it is a very different animal from Disneyland. It is just so much bigger. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have. All of us around here love to share our Disney knowledge;) I think we're actually going to go to Disneyland this summer. I'm excited because I haven't been out there since 2007.

Hi there

Great report. I was at the Boardwalk for my first half marathon this year. I'd love to bring my DD next year so I'm looking forward to reading about your trip with you family.
Congrats on your race! That is a great accomplishment! Maybe we saw each other at the Boardwalk. I say definitely bring your daughter along next year. As long as you have someone to watch her during the race it doesn't impact the rest of the trip much. Especially with the half because you're done relatively early.

How fun!!! Poor Michael...his face after is too funny...thats the look I have after finishing most races too :rotfl:

The medal they gave out is really cute!!
I guess it is good if you have that look after most races. It means you left everything you had out on the course. I definitely take things at a more relaxed pace, but no one ever accused Michael of being relaxed:laughing:

Poor Michael! I'm sure he wasn't the only one though (even in the adult races). All the kids did great though - they should be so proud of themselves.
The kids really did do great! It was so fun to make them a part of the weekend!

Oh my gosh! I couldn't help myself....I was laughing at Michael too. Poor thing. He ran so fast he made himself sick.
I know. I still chuckle when I see those pictures. I was even laughing at the time. Poor Michael. All he probably wanted was a little sympathy and instead he had a giggling mommy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter