The CCS Virtual Cookbook Appetizers & Dips

Note: you must use 2 mini-muffin tins with 2-inch cups to make these easy party bites. These tins can be found on the baking aisle in larger markets or at many discount stores. Most hold 12 mini-muffins per tin, some hold 24. This recipe will make 24 pieces.

1/4 pound deli sliced Swiss cheese, finely chopped
6 slices Canadian bacon, finely chopped
3 tablespoons snipped or chopped chives
A few grinds black pepper
8 eggs, or 1 pint egg beaters
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together the chopped cheese, Canadian bacon, and chives and season with a few grinds of pepper. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Brush the muffin tins with melted butter. Using a teaspoon, fill the 24 mini-muffin cups halfway with the cheese mixture. Using a ladle, fill the cups to just below the edge with the beaten eggs. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Remove and let cool to handle, then arrange the egg bites on a plate and serve.

Spinach Roll-Ups
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup mayonnaise *Do NOT use Miracle Whip, it won't taste right*
1 cup sour cream
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 envelope of Hidden Valley Ranch Dry Dressing Mix
1 (3 oz.) jar real bacon bits *NOT imitation bits, they're too crunchy*
8 large tortillas

Combine first 6 ingredients; spread on tortillas. Roll uplike a jellroll; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 4-6 hours. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.

I found this one after last July 4th, courtesy of a cousin.:) It's so good, and such a great way to get some veggies in. Not to mention very addicting.:)
I serve it with the Scoop Corn chips.
Btw, it makes a huge batch! I always give some to my parents or my sister and her family.
Enjoy!
Kim

REDNECK CAVIAR

2 (16-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
2 (11-ounce) cans white shoepeg corn, drained
2 (11-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (think Rotel)
2 large green bell peppers, chopped
12 small green onions, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 (16-ounce) large Italian dressing
Scoop-style corn chips
Combine all ingredients except dressing in a bowl, blending well. Pour dressing over all and toss well to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with corn chips.

This is our favorite way to start a Mexican meal. I think it is adapted from a Rick Bayless recipe:

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

1 lb. small (41-50 count) shrimp, uncooked, in the shell
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely and rinsed under cold water
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch dice
1 medium avocado, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
1-2 tbsp. hot sauce (I use cholula brand)
salt to taste

Bring one quart water to boil. Add 2 tbsp lime juice and the shrimp and return to boil. When it comes back to a boil, immediately take off the heat and drain out the water. Let the shrimp sit in the pan, covered, off the heat, to finish cooking in their own steam--10 minutes.

Peel the shrimp and toss with the remaining 1/2 cup lime juice. Place in the refiregerator to cool for one hour.

When ready to serve, toss shrimp with all remaining ingredients, adding salt to taste, and serve with tortilla chips or crackers for dipping.

Serves 6 as an appetizer.

BLT Dip

1 cup sour cream
1 cup-mayo or Miracle Whip (whichever you prefer)
1 pound bacon
1 tomato, seeded and diced

Combine sour cream and mayo. Fry bacon till crisp; let cool and crumble (I only say "let cool" because burning your fingers on bacon isn't a good time ;) ). Stir bacon into mayo mixture. Add tomato just before serving (otherwise it gets runny). You can serve this with darn near anything - Fritos, pretzels, crackers, tortilla chips....whatever you've got!

Oh yeah, and Ham Roll-Ups

1 pound sliced deli ham (usually the cooked ham works best)
8 oz cream cheese
Midget dill pickles, or green onions (your choice here)

Separate and dry off the ham slices. Spread cream cheese thinly over ham. Add a pickle or onion at the edge; roll up, and slice into bite-size pieces. You may need toothpicks to hold them closed if the cream cheese isn't doing the job.

These suckers are SO addictive!!! If they're in front of me, it's pretty much guaranteed I'll eat till they're gone or I'm so full I can't move.

1 LB crab meat chopped (Imitation does well)
2-8 Ounce packs cream cheese room temperature
5 Small green onions chopped (use stems too)
3 Tables spoons B-B-Q sauce
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Blend all ingrediants well with electric mixer

This is wonderful with Ritz, Hi-Hos, or club crackers.

ButterflyJen - You just reminded me of somthing my mother used to make for their card club. I haven't thought about these in years!

Lebanon Rollups are made like your Ham Rollups using Lebanon Bologna and without the pickle. She also used Harleysville Bologna or Sweet Bologna. I'm just not sure if these are local items or not.

Clam Dip - Hot

Saute a large onion and a small green bell pepper (both chopped) in a stick of butter until softened. Add a can of chopped clams with juice...bring to a boil. Then add italian bread crumbs to the consistency you would like...serve with crackers, DELICIOUS!!! (We prefer it with either saltine crackers or triscuits)

Clam Dip - Cold

Bring a package of cream cheese to room temperature. Drain a can of clams (reserve juice) and mix together with the cream cheese. Add garlic powder to taste and the reserved juice, a little at a time until you get the consistency you prefer (you want to make it a little looser than you actually want, because it will thicken up again when you refrigerate it). Refrigerate for about an hour. Great with potato chips or pretzels.

I haven't got the recipe or link to hand but the Pampered Chef hot broccoli dip is a big favourite - also good for haloween!

As a former Pampered Chef Consultant, here is this AWESOME recipe:

Hot Broccoli Dip:

1 Cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
2Tbsp onion chopped
2Tbsp red pepper chopped
1 oz Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese divided
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup light mayo
Fresh ground pepper
Pita chips, crackers, or nacho chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Chop broccoli, onion and red pepper.
Add 2Tbsp of grated parmesan cheese to vegetable mixture. Press garlic into a separate bowl. Add cheddar cheese, sour cream and mayo.Season with black pepper and mix well. Spread vegetable mixture evenly in a small casserole dish or stone casserole. Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan Cheese over top and surround with pita chips, nacho chips, fritos, crackers, or bread pieces.
So easy, enjoy!

Ritz Holiday Bell

Ingredients:
6 slices OSCAR MAYER Hard Salami
1 pkg. (6 oz.) KRAFT Cracker Cuts Mild Cheddar Cheese
18 RITZ Crackers
18 thin red pepper strips
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:
CUT 3 small bell-shaped pieces out of each salami slice and 1 small bell-shaped piece out of each cheese slice, using small cookie cutter or sharp knife.
TOP crackers evenly with the salami and cheese.
DECORATE with the peppers and parsley

OK I'm new to DIS and just stumbled onto this thread, so here is one a my signature roadhouse, football party type get your fingers into the goo appetizers!! Enjoy.

Hot Spinach & Artichoke Dip

10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed, drained well, coarsely chopped
28 ounce marinated artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup roasted garlic flavoured mayonnaise
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated, reserve ½ cup for garnish
1-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated, reserve ½ cup for garnish
5 drops hot pepper sauce

Spray a 9 – 10” ceramic or glass pie baking dish with non stick spray.
Place artichoke hearts in large mixing bowl. Break up the spinach evenly over top. Add the remaining ingredients except cheeses for garnish. Add hot pepper sauce depending on likeness, can be eliminated. Mix well so that the spinach is evenly distributed. Place in baking dish spread out evenly. Sprinkle first with Jack cheese and then Parmesan. At this point can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. When ready to serve remove plastic and place in preheated 350F oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and brown on top.

Serve with bagel, pita or tortilla chips.

Cheesy Bread Dip:

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

One (1) large, round loaf of sour dough bread. Slice of the top and
gut-out and cube the pieces inside. (Get an extra sourdough roll or two to have extra bread.)

Mix together the following ingrdients:

One (1) cup of Hellman's Mayonaise.

One (1) cup of sour cream.

Two (2) cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Two (2) cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.

One (1) small onion - finely chopped.

One (1) can or bottle of Real Bacon Pieces (Be sure to use Real Bacon
Pieces, not bacon bits. Bacon pieces can normally be found near the salad
dressings.)

Once mixed, fill the empty loaf of bread with the mixture. Place the
filled loaf on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325 for fifty (50) minutes. Then add the cubed chunks of bread around the loaf and bake for an additional five (5) to seven (7) minutes.

Serve warm.

Crab Stuffed Mushroom En Croute
(courtesy Paula Dean)

1/2 cup herb flavored cheese (recommended: Boursin)
1/2 cup finely minced crabmeat (may use imitation)
18 uniform sized mushrooms, stem removed
1 box phyllo pastry (will need at least 18 sheets)
1/3 cup butter, melted
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine cheese and crab in a small bowl. Divide crab mixture among the upside-down mushroom caps, stuffing the mushrooms. Carefully lay 6 sheets of phyllo dough on top of one another, brushing every other sheet with melted butter. Cut phyllo lengthwise down the center and then cut each half into 3 pieces to make 6 rectangles. Place a mushroom, cheese side up, in the center of each square. Season with salt and pepper. Lift sides of pastry over mushrooms to resemble small bundles and form a "neck," pinching edges together to seal. Repeat the entire procedure 2 more times.

Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake for about 15 minutes until pastry is crisp and golden. Serve hot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jalapeno Deviled Eggs

12 large eggs
1/4 c. pickled jalapenos chopped fine
cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
4 green onions chopped fine
Mayo
Salt

Mix together all but the cayenne pepper. Fill eggs and sprinkle
with the cayenne pepper.

Here are my three most requested Appetizers when I am catering:

Clam Dip
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 can Minced Clams-drained
1/3 cup freshly Grated Parmasean Cheese
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Milk to thin
Worchestershire sauce
Pumpernickle bread and Rye Bread

1. Microwave Cream Cheese 30 seconds at a time until melted.
2. Combine remaining ingreadients
3. Heat in Microwave; Serve warm with bread cut into cubes.

Chinese Chicken Wings
5 lbs of Wings
1/2 bottle of Teriyaki Sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp hot sauce

1. Mix sauce ingredients together. Pour over wings in covered roaster.
2. Bake at 400F for 30 - 40 minutes (longer if still frozen). Stir frequently to keep basted.

Dilled Shrimp
1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 red onion diced
1 tbsp Dill Weed
1/4 tsp salt
2 lbs peeled and cooked shrimp

1. Combine all ingredients and chill
2. Serve with crackers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!