The CCS Virtual Cookbook Appetizers & Dips

kaylajr

Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
Appetizers & Dips (party snacks)

Post your favorite recipes here for all to see....

Whatever you want You can even include a picture of the finished product if you want just remember if the picture turns into one of those annoying little red X for more than 48 hours we will have to remove it until the hosting problem can be fixed

Check out the other two cookbooks too....

1 pkg 7 inch flour tortilla
2 blocks of cream cheese
1/3 cup mayonaise (not miracle whip)
1 tablespoon of milk
Tastefully simple Fiesta Dip seasoning 3-4 tablespoons
small red pepper finely diced
small yellow pepper finely diced
8oz of shredded cheddar cheese

Mix with mixer mayo, cream cheese, milk til creamy. Stir in Fiesta dip to taste..(I usually do 3, and see if it looks seasoned enough. If not add a little more, it is kind of personal preference sort of thing)

Spread cream cheese mixture on to the tortilla, top very lightly with a little of each pepper, then a very light coating of cheese. Roll up, jelly roll style. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in fridge. When ready to serve, slice and lay on sides, they are so pretty! and very yummy.

"*** Don't put too much peppers in or it will be hard to roll them up and they fall apart when sliced. You can also change out the fiesta dip for dry ranch dip, add brocoli, shredded carrots, and the red pepper for a different taste.

I rarely do appetizers until we're having company. But there are a couple I really like when we do a themed meal (Chinese or Mexican) for company.

CRAB RANGOON
Source: Gourmet magazine

Filling
½ lb crabmeat, drained and chopped
½ lb cream cheese, room temperature
½ tsp A-1® Steak Sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder

Wrappers
30 won-ton wrappers
1 egg yolk, well beaten
Oil for deep frying*

Combine crabmeat with cream cheese and seasonings in a medium bowl and
blend to a paste. Place heaping teaspoonful on each wonton. Moisten edges of wontons with egg yolk. Gather the four corners of the wontons together at the top and pinch the edges together to seal. Heat oil to 375ºF. Add wontons in batches and fry until golden brown; about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with Chinese mustard and red sauce for dipping.(opt) Yields 30.

[*Note: I don't deep fry them. I either spray with oil & bake at 375 until golden or just put a small amount of oil in the bottom of a pan & turn them to cook. We don't do anything deep-fried so that's not even an option.]

= = = = = = = = = = =

Apple salsa and cinnamon chips

Cinnamon Chips
4 flour tortillas – 7” size
1 Tbl granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Salsa
2 granny smith apples, medium
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 orange, small
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
2 Tbl apple jelly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray tortillas with water. Combine sugar & cinnamon; sprinkle over tortillas. Cut tortillas into 8 wedges & place in single layer on pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown & crisp. Set on cooling rack. [NOTE: Do not spray both sides of tortilla or you won’t be able to get them off the pan.]

Peel, core & chop apples. Slice strawberries & chop kiwi. Place all in small bowl. Zest and juice orange. Add zest, orange juice, brown sugar & apple jelly to fruit mixture. Mix gently. Spoon into bowl & serve with chips.

I have substituted freely in this recipe with great results. I’ve replaced the apple jelly with orange marmalade, replaced the kiwi with ½ cup raspberries, replaced both kiwi & strawberries with raspberries, skipped the brown sugar & used canned mandarin oranges with OJ & dried orange zest. Tart apples work best.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
This is a dip that I make when the kids have company & serve with tortilla chips. They really like it - well, the name says it all! ;)

Face First Dip

2 pkg cream cheese or neufchatel
1 c sour cream
1 c salsa, medium

Soften cream cheese. Combine with sour cream. Chop salsa with hand blender. Add to cheese mixture. Blend well.

Oh - and I forgot this one!

Low Fat Blooming Onion

1 Vidalia onion or any super-sweet onion ~ 1 lb weight
1 tsp vegetable oil
¼ oz corn flake crumbs
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1 egg white
Horseradish Dip (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350º. Trim the root end of the onion so it will stand upright. Slice ½ inch from the top of the onion; discard the papery skin. Cut triangular slices to the center of the onion, slicing from the top to within ½ inch of the bottom and working your way around the onion to make several petals. Place the onion in a microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with the oil. Microwave, covered, on High for 1½ to 2 minutes or until the onion is slightly tender and the petals begin to separate. Combine the corn flake crumbs, red pepper and seasoned salt in a bowl and mix well. Beat the egg white in a bowl until foamy. Dip the onion into the egg white, coating the petals completely. Place in a 2-cup round baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the corn flake mixture. Bake at 350º for 10 to 12 minutes or until brown and crisp. Serve immediately with the Horseradish Dip.

HORSERADISH DIP
½ c nonfat sour cream
2 tsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp prepared horseradish
½ clove garlic, finely minced

Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic in a bowl and mix well. May be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.

I figured this was an appetizer,but if you feel it needs to be moved to the main dishes,please do so. :)

1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend is what we use)
1 12oz can of shredded chicken in water, drained
1 pkg 'garden' cream cheese (it has like onions,chives and green peppers in it.We always find it next to the guacamole in the refrigerated section), at room temp
4-8 tortillas (depending on how many there are of ya)

In a large mixing bowl with your hands,mix the canned chicken,the shredded cheese and the cream cheese together. Spread 1 tbsp each on one half of the tortillas and fold in half so that it forms a half moon shape.Press lightly to make sure it's REALLY close.

Cook for 2-3 minutes on the George Foreman. I'm sure you could do the same in a pan or in the over for like 2-3 min per side to make sure all the cheese is melted and the cream cheese/chicken is heated through.
Once cooked, let cool for 3-4 minutes before slicing into 3-4 pieces with a pizza slicer. :)

TOV

piratesmate said:
Oh - and I forgot this one!

Low Fat Blooming Onion
Deb, there is just something WRONG :rotfl: with a low fat Bloomin' Onion!

Here's a southern staple. Easy and so good...

Sausage Balls
1 lb bulk breakfast sausage (hot or mild)
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
3 cups Bisquik

Mix all ingredients together (best and only way is by using your hands). Roll into 1 inch balls and bake for 15 min at 350. Best served warm. These can be frozen before or after they're baked.

This one has a strange combination of ingredients but is very tasty:

Strawberry Cheese Pockets
1 10 pkg refrigerated pizza crust dough
1/4 cup strawberry jam
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Unroll pizza dough and cut into 12 equal pieces. Place 1t of jam on each piece of dough. Top with cheese, green onion, bacon and pecans. Brush edges of dough with water and fold over filling sealing edges with a fork. Place pockets on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 min at 400 or until golden brown. NOTE: I have tried using crescent rolls instead of pizza dough and it turns out just as good.

Sausage Won Ton Cups

1 lb. ground pork sausage

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese

1/2 cup Ranch dressing

1/3 cup chopped black olives

1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

Finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)

1 16 oz. package of won ton wrappers (usually found in produce section)

Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain on paper towels. Combine sausage and next 6 ingredients.

Coat 4 miniature (1 1'3/4") muffin pans with cooking spray. Place wonton wrappers in pans, using fingers to create fluted shape. Lightly spray wonton wrappers with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, turning pans after 4 minutes.

Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon filling into each won ton cup. Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes or until browned and thoroughly heated. Remove from pans and serve hot.

These go fast at holiday parties!

Red Lobster's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

1-pound fresh mushrooms, approximately 35-40
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 pound crab claw meat
2 cups oyster crackers crushed
1/2-cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4-teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1/4-teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2-cup water
6 white cheddar cheese, slices

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2) Sauté celery, onion, and pepper in butter for 2 minutes, transfer
to a plate and cool in the refrigerator

3) While vegetables cool, wash mushrooms and remove stems

4) Set caps to the side and finely chop half of the stems. Discard the
other half of the stems or use elsewhere

5) Combine the sautéed vegetables, chopped mushroom stems, and all
other ingredients (except cheese slices) and mix well

6) Place mushroom caps in individual buttered casseroles or baking
dishes (about 6 caps each)

7) Spoon 1 teaspoon of stuffing into each mushroom

8) Cover with sliced cheese

9) Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.

Mexican Layered Dip

2 cans bean dip

1 envelope taco seasoning

16 oz. sour cream

guacamole (optional)

grated cheddar (amount is optional - we like a lot of cheese ;-)

tomatoes (diced)

1 can sliced black olives

chopped green onion

Directions:

1. Spread 2 cans of bean dip on the bottom of 13" x 9" dish

2. Mix taco seasoning and sour cream thoroughly and layer over bean dip.

3. Layer shredded cheddar on top of sour cream mixture.

4. In no particular order layer chopped tomatoes, green onions, and black
olives.

5. Chill.

6. Serve with tortilla/Tostito kind of chips.

Deviled Ham Dip

8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. mayonaise
2 1/4 oz. deviled ham
2 T. pimento- no skin chopped fine
1/2 tsp. onion juice ( I cannot find this anymore so I use onion powder)
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste (I never use the salt)

Mix all the ingredients until well blended serve with Ritz or Townhouse crackers.

Rumaki (or Sweet and Sour Water Chestnuts)

This is my absolute favorite appetizer. Whenever I take it to work, I AWLAYS get asked for the recipe. It's so easy, but so delicious. The wrapping is the only thing that's a pain. It does take awhile (of course, I usually quadruple the recipe). It's worth it, though.

1/2 lb. bacon
8 oz. can whole water chestnuts
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. ketchup

Cut bacon into thirds and wrap one piece around each water chestnut. (If water chestnuts are huge, cut them in half.) Secure the bacon and water chestnuts together with toothpicks. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain fat. Make sauce by combining brown sugar and ketchup, and pour sauce over baked bacon and water chestnuts. Bake an additional 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot. Yum! Yum!

Marinated Mushrooms

A friend of mine shared this delicious recipe. I keep them in my fridge all the time and just add more mushrooms to the marinade from time to time. They are so good! I added them to an antipasto tray my group entered in a salad competition at work and guess what. We won first place!

2 lb. mushrooms (do not remove stems)

Simmer 5 minutes in salted water (get water boiling and drop in mushrooms). Marinate at least 24 hours in the following mixture:

1 c. oil
1/4 c. water
3/4 c. cider vinegar
2 T. ketchup
1/4 c. sugar
2 cloves garlic
1/4 t. thyme
1 large onion, sliced
4 bay leaves
1 t. salt (more if desired)
1 t. pepper (more if desired)

Here's another recipe that sounds crazy, but tastes yummy . . .

Chili Fudge

1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. picante sauce
4 eggs

Spray 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray. Spread cheese in pan. Beat eggs and picante sauce. Pour over cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Caramel Apple Dip

8oz Cream Cheese
2 tbsp brown sugar (not the yellow sugar, I think they call this dark in the US)
1/2 tub of dipping caramel (you find it in the produce section next to the apples)
2 Skor bars
Granny Smith Apples

Mix the sugar into the cream cheese and spread in an 8"x8" pan. Spread caramel on top. Crush up Skor bars and sprinkle over top of caramel.
Serve with sliced green apples. You can dip the apple slices in some water and lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.

This is SO good!! My hubby will do just about anything for a tray of this! I highly recommend a tray just before you tell dh about your latest Sizzix purchase!

Sausage Rolls

1 pkg jimmy dean bulk sausage, cooked
1 3 pz package cream cheese
1 cup chopped green onions
1 packages crescent rolls

1 egg, beaten

Cook sausage, mix in onion and cream cheese.

Unroll crescent rolls and separate into triangles. Cut each triangle in half.
Put one tsp of meat mixture on a triangle and roll up. Put the rolls on a greased cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

June

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

These are super easy to make, and they everyone raves about them! I always double the recipe and make a huge batch.

1 large bag of frozen meatballs (I usually get these at Sams or Costco)
1 jar Heinz Chili Sauce
1 large jar Welch's or Smuckers Grape Jelly (don't use generic - they aren't as good)

In a large pot, combine the jelly and chili sauce and simmer until it forms a sauce. Add meatballs, and cook for a couple of hours until meatballs are hot all the way through. What I usually do is heat the sauce on the stove, and and put the meatballs in my large electric roaster. When the sauce is ready I pour it over the meatballs, and let it cook on a low setting. It works like a large crock pot!

Perfect--I need to bring an appetizer tonight, and I had it in mind to make something like cold tortilla wraps. A friend used to do something with them and black beans, but I don't have the recipe, so this will have to do. I don't have the fiesta spice, so I'll probably substitute with the dry ranch. I just love this board!

1 lb hamburger or ground sausage browned and broken up as small as you can get it.

2 lbs velveeta cheese

8 ozs jar of salsa

Brown the hamburger, while it is browning cut the velveeta into smaller chunks pour the salsa over it and microwave for 1 min and stir keep doing that till the cheese is all melted.

Pour the cheese in crockpot stir in the meat set on low and ( I do spray the crock well with cooking spray before adding the cheese makes clean up so much easier)

Sometimes I just brown the meat add the cheese and salsa and let the crock pot do the rest.

Serve with tortilla chips

It's always a hit at our parties. Sometimes I spice it up a bit use the hot salsa and hot peppers sometimes make it mild.

Another thing I did for large party was mixed corn chips and chili corn chips pretzels cheese curls crunchy cheese curls, snack crackers the small ones and etc all together and set those out in small bowls around the room.

Mixed nuts is always a hit and so easy to do.

I've found with our parties if the food is all on a table it doesn't get eaten very well. but if it is set around the room in small bowls stuff that doesn't need a plate or fork it gets eaten much better when alcohol is involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts