The Cabins at Fort Wilderness

We LOVE the cabins (in case that wasn't horribly obvious) so much, its quickly turned the Ft into our home resort. You absolutely don't need the golf cart and can get around just fine on internal transit. We've only rented a golf cart once and that was because the MIL and FIL payed for it lol. It definitely makes it more convenient to get around, and its useful for my favorite activity of Deer watching after the sun has set. The only issue you may encounter is that pre-opening ADR as I'm not certain what time the internal buses begin. As far as the boats go, you'll need to make a bit of a change of plans. The boat directly to the MK doesn't start till about 1/2 hour before park open, so you'll be looking to take the boat over to the Contemporary and then a short walk to the gates of the MK.
As far as loops go, my favs are 2300 and 2100. 23 has the smallest loop with the fewest number of cabins, also your woods view is likely to include a small canal. 21 is closer to Settlement and the boats. It's also bordering on the camping sites, so you'll have better chances to see deer from that loop.

For those of you with experience with the cabins, do we need to bring our own dish soap or is some provided?

When we went, we took along dish soap even though I read it was provided but there was some already there. We just left our new bottle when we departed so the next guest didn't have to think about it. But, we drove so had room for things.

Anyways, we have never stayed there, and I was reading that you can rent golf carts to get around.

A couple of questions:
  • Are they really necessary?
  • Can you rent prior to your arrival? If so, how? I can't find anything online.

Thanks!!

1) No, not necessary. We've done it both ways and the internal buses are just fine. However, the carts are fun and convenient.

2) Yes, it's highly recommended to rent your cart months in advance, since they do sell out. We have successfully rented from both FW and Kenny, so they are the only ones I can recommend (there was another, until he pulled the plug on us last minute, so be careful). At FW, you can rent the 4 seater golf carts up to a year in advance. 6 seaters are first come first serve day-of only. Kenny rents both 4 & 6 seaters in advance. For our upcoming Oct trip, I reserved a cart from him in Jan. That's how important it is, if you want one.

Good luck, OP! :)

We had an 8 am CP ADR in Oct (9 am MK opening) and there was no direct bus from FW to MK available. The boats were also not running. From my understanding, you had to board a bus to WL and then board another bus to MK from there...

When we went, we took along dish soap even though I read it was provided but there was some already there. We just left our new bottle when we departed so the next guest didn't have to think about it. But, we drove so had room for things.
Thanks for the info. I have another question- did they provide coffee for the coffee maker?

We had an 8 am CP ADR in Oct (9 am MK opening) and there was no direct bus from FW to MK available. The boats were also not running. From my understanding, you had to board a bus to WL and then board another bus to MK from there...
Oh no! That's a bummer. I think we'll take a cab or uber to the Contemporary. I was hoping there would be a bus.

Thanks for the info. I have another question- did they provide coffee for the coffee maker?
I do not remember if they do or not, but I remember my wife bringing her own selection of coffee. Now if they would only provide Lipton Cold Brew then I would be happy.

Hi. The internal bus and boat start at least an hour before park opening.

Loop 2500 is great to be near the cabin pool, laundry, andca bus stop. It's small too.

There is a bus that runs from the Settlement to WL and then to MK.

Golf carts are great if you plan to spend time at the Fort. It's necessary for "looping" or riding around looking at camper Halloween and Christmas decorations. it's amazing. Look at this from a few years ago

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter