The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

So I'm at the tour launch right now for Bridges of Madison County the Musical and it is amazing. Plus as an added amazing bonus Jason Robert Brown is actually here tonight conducting. It's amazing [GALLERY=]View attachment 137724 [/GALLERY]

J Hudson will get tony nominated. I really hope that the girl that sings Satisfied in Hamilton name escapes me gets that tony. Just too perfect.

I just read CATS is coming back to Broadway! I saw it at the Winter Garden theater during it's first run. Loved that show! I went with friends who didn't, so it's definitely a "show to taste". Times Square was sssoooo different back in the 80's. :upsidedow

BROADWAYCON!!!!

Okay, I went yesterday and had a BLAST. Honestly one of the greatest days of my life!!!

I had a day pass, so originally I was stressed out about getting an early morning train into Penn station and then having to subway over to the hotel and blah blah blah. But then my school let us into the dorms 3 days early at no charge because of Jonas, so I moved in Thursday night and just had to take the subway midtown 20 minutes that morning!

Check-in process was a mess. I had to wait 45 minutes in a line before getting my lanyard and bag.

Went to two panels in the morning. A very boring "general fan" panel where all 500 of us went in a circle and named our favorite broadway shows, and then a "Newsies fansie meetup panel", which was SUPER fun. I got to be a "star" on the official Playbill periscope in front of a couple hundred people online!

I won the autograph line lotto for Natalie Weiss, Telly Leung, and the DW Spring Awakening cast. Had to wait about 20 minutes in line for each because of poor planning on Bwaycon's part. But then Andrew Keenan-Bolger and Kate Wetherhead did an impromptu Jack & Louisa book signing, and I was able to snag the last copy and walk right up to them. Despite only ever having met AKB once, he was like, "Hi Kaitlyn! We've met before!", and that was amazing.

tumblr_inline_o1droktiq51r9gu17_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o1drurIqH71r9gu17_500.jpg

I bought a Hamilton wristlet, Hamilton bracelet, and Disney on Broadway charm bracelet at the merch stands. The DoB charm bracelet had Cinderella charms on it, and Cinderella technically isn't a Disney musical, but it's okay.

tumblr_inline_o1dr2z7ASP1r9gu17_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_o1dr2qil8U1r9gu17_500.jpg

The main stage opening show though... OH MY GOD!!! AMAZING!!! They had a problem because they weren't able to fit everyone in like they said they would, so I had to stand in the "SRO" section in the back. Still, WHAT A SHOW!!! Danyel Fulton lead it alongside Lesli Margherita, Rob McClure, Ann Harada, and a lot of others. Anthony Rapp sang a little line of "what you own" and the room exploded. It was a super fun, really funny, and just a great celebration of Broadway!

I didn't go to the other big panels (Hamilton and Rent Reunion) because there just weren't any seats in the room and my best friend was finally coming back to school and I told him I would help him unpack and get dinner with him.

For $95 admission, I honestly couldn't have had a better day. It's gotta be more organized next year, but it was the first day of a brand new con so you gotta let a couple of things slip. I will admit that I was disappointed that Darren Criss and Jeremy Jordan weren't able to attend due to weather concerns, but I can't blame them for that. A lot of VIP ticket holders were mad yesterday, however-- and I can't really blame them. For $600 for the weekend, they were getting accidentally locked out of panels they had reserved seats for, and several actors they had special VIP meet and greets for had to cancel their appearances. Still... I totally recommend considering attending next year if you can. It was a lot of fun, and by next year, they should have most of the "first-con kinks" smoothed out. It was so much better than I thought it would be. Yay Broadwaycon!!!

tumblr_inline_o1ds8dT5ZG1r9gu17_500.jpg

Saw Fiddler on the Roof this weekend.

There were things I really, really, REALLY liked and things that were... eh.

First off, I just want to say that there's some incredible talent in this production. Everyone was phenomenal in their roles-- loved Kantor (Motel), Burnstein (Tevye), Hecht (Goldie), and all of Tevye's daughters. Second, the choreography in this show is genuinely some of the best dancing I've seen from all of the shows I've ever seen on Broadway. I hope it gets the Tony for best choreography this year.

However... there were some weird direction things going on in this production. Without spoiling too much, Tevye's character becomes sort of a "character-within-a-character". I can't explain it, but if you see it, you'll understand what I mean. I feel like it adds an unnecessary "layer" to Tevye's character that certainly has good intentions, but it got lost with a lot of the audience members around me. Also, the fiddler was on a harness and he... flew???? from the bottom stage right up to the top of stage left???? And it was really weird. Sher is known for "out-of-the-box" direction (see also this revival of The King and I), and I'm all for new interpretations of shows. Sadly, it just didn't feel like certain things were executed well. It felt like Fiddler was trying to replicate what came natural to the Spring Awakening revival just for the sake of having new things.

In any case, the show was good fun, especially if you loved the movie/past Broadway productions. It was my first time seeing Fiddler live and I really enjoyed it for what it was, weird direction choices aside.

I now get the character within a character, and it didn't really bother me. I could see how some people wouldn't like it. However I don't think it added anything either....

Overall i enjoyed the show and am happy I got to see it.

But also after seeing Fiddler I had this huge desire to watch this again...

If you've never seen it, it's a video from Lin-Manuel Miranda's wedding.

Just bought my tickets to see Waitress on April 20! My mom and I are going for my birthday and we might go in on Tuesday the 19th, see a show that night (possibly School of Rock) and then stay over, see Waitress in the afternoon and go back home after the show. I am also chaperoning a field trip to see Something Rotten on March 25, which will be fun! We were supposed to go on the trip last weekend, but of course NYC was shut down. We had postponed the trip a few days before and our tickets were able to be rebooked for March. We're taking 40 11th and 12th graders to see the show, so it should be a good day.

I also saw the Cabaret tour on Friday night and I loved it. I missed the revival last year and wasn't very familiar with the show, (I saw a summer stock production of it about 10 years ago but don't remember much of it) but I really enjoyed it, even if it felt a little small at Providence Performing Arts Center (the venue is HUGE). I will also be trying the digital lottery for the Pippin tour in Boston over the next two weeks. I only live an hour south of Boston and can hop on the highway and be at the T in 45 minutes, and then it's only a 20 or 30 minute ride into the city, so it will be easy to get up there.

oh wow where has this thread been all my life. Anyway, so I saw Hamilton in December and I can gush on and on about it. Everything about it from the music, cast, set, costumes, lighting.....EVERYTHING was incredible. Believe everyone when they tell you that it is the best show ever. If you need proof, just take 2 hours out of your day and listen to the cast album. I also saw Aladdin two weeks ago and I loved it. Having some Disney magic right there in NYC always makes me so happy. James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie was amazing!!

I'm seeing Fiddler on Wednesday! Ever since I became a TDF member I really can't stop myself from buying tickets. Oops.
Have a great time. I want to go see this revival especially now since my DD played Yente in her HHS production of it and got a nomination for it. We're planning on going during Spring Break.

We're going to see Something Rotten on Tuesday and I'm trying daily for the Hamilton lottery - maybe some day I'll get lucky :)

I just want to say that I saw "A Bronx Tale" at Paper Mill the other day and Oh. My. God.

I thought it was just as good as Hamilton. It was edgy, it was refreshing, it's the definition of an "instant classic". The music (Alan Menken holla!!!) was phenomenal, the acting was superb, and I loved the sets. PLEASE go see it if you have the chance!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter