The Biggest, Bestest, Most Amazingest Trip Ever...Is Being Planned *UPDATE 9/18*

ariel1025

DIS Veteran
So, I said I wasn't going to do it. No way. No how. I absolutely was not going to start planning this trip until we got to the 200 day mark.

Ooooooops!

But let's be real, how does one really avoid planning a Disney trip? They don't! #amiright

So, let's dive right into this little shindig. Starting with the most important portion, the stars of the show.

Those are my babies on our most recent trip to Disney World this past January.

First up is my oldest, James, who will be 5 on this trip. This was him during his very first Disney visit (if you don't count the one when he was in my belly!). He was 16 months on this trip, which included one day at Magic Kingdom, 5 days on the Disney Magic and 3 days over at the "dark side." He was an absolute rockstar and, as you can see, developed quite a love of the Mouse. Since then he has been to Disneyland once and on a full fledged Disney World trip. He loves pretty much everything about Disney and is my partner-in-crime when it comes to planning and scheming. His favorite ride is the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and the Disney World Railroad.

Next up is the baby of the family, Eliana, who will be 2.5 on this trip. This was her during her very first Disney visit. She was 4 months old on this trip which included 5 full days at Disneyland and California Adventure. She was also a rockstar for her first visit, it's the Disney magic I tell ya! Her roster also includes our week long Disney World trip back in January. She was pretty scared of most the characters that trip, so I'm hoping that all changes for this one. Her current love of Disney includes the Disney Junior line-up of Sophia, Doc and the Clubhouse. Her favorite ride is Dumbo and Small World.

Then there's myself, Shannon, and my husband, Candi. Between the two of us there's been 3 Disney cruises, 5 Disney World trips, and too many Disneyland trips to count. I am the planning geek between the two of us. I'm obsessed with lists and spreadsheets and plans and back-up plans and budgets. Candi would rather just show up and be told what the plan is. However, he was the one pushing to buy into the Disney Vacation Club after our Disneymoon, so clearly his love runs deep once we are there. My favorite ride is Splash Mountain and his is Soarin.

So, for now, that's the cast of this trip. It's a possibility that my parents will be joining us, but I will introduce them later, once they are confirmed.

When this trip started being formulated, because let's be real, it was never a possibility to wait to plan it until the 200 day mark, we discussed a stay at the Grand Floridian Villas that would allows us 9 nights and 10 days. We were stoked with this idea. The monorail, the newness of the Villas, the proximity to Magic Kingdom, the fancy bathrooms, the additional pull down bed. Fabulousness!

Then it happened. I started laying out plans. Candi's only request was to have the first day we wake up at the World be a relaxed one, allowing us to rest and adjust to the time change. But it wasn't sitting well with me, we already lost 2 full days to travel (hence the need for a relaxing first day) and then we would be "losing" a third day to rest. Psssssh, who needs rest at Disney? Oh, right, my husband. And probably my kids. Okay, fine, it also wouldn't hurt me to have that time to recuperate from a full day stuck on a plane with two kids.

That's when I hesitantly approached the idea of adding on a day to the trip. Problem is, as beautiful as the Grand Floridian Villas are, they are also a point suck. So, we discussed adding a cash room for one night at Art of Animation. We've always talked about taking the kids to stay here while they are small so that they could become immersed in the over sized characters and overall theme.

And that was the plan. For a week. Maybe less. You see, we were really hoping to avoid moving during our stay this trip. Even though it would only be after one night, I want to arrive, unpack and feel settled for the entirety of our stay. Candi agreed, so back to the planning drawing board we went. And that's when the decision was made that would make this the biggest, bestest, most amazingest trip ever...

Haha #youresoright on the planning not making it to the 200 day mark! :rotfl2:

So I followed you from my TR, and I love it already!

Grand Floridian Villas?! Are you kidding me?! So jealous, how luxurious! I seriously need to look into DVC!

Your kiddos are adorable, and I love they're growing up DisKids!

Can't wait to see more, in the meantime I'll go check out your past reports! :thumbsup2

Haha #youresoright on the planning not making it to the 200 day mark! :rotfl2:

So I followed you from my TR, and I love it already!

Grand Floridian Villas?! Are you kidding me?! So jealous, how luxurious! I seriously need to look into DVC!

Your kiddos are adorable, and I love they're growing up DisKids!

Can't wait to see more, in the meantime I'll go check out your past reports! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for jumping over!

I want so much to check out the Grand Floridian Villas, but goodness they are a big jump in points per night. We love having DVC though. It took a whole lot of honest math to figure if it was worth it for us, but it definitely has been and I'm so glad we took the leap of faith.

Aww, thank you about the kiddos. Ellie is giving me a run for my money asking for Nickelodeon shows though ;)

Reading as well. I have a pre-trip report going for our December 2016 trip already going so 304 days is nothing. Okay my report also includes our January trip too, but who's counting.

Your kids are adorable. I love the picture of Eliana as a baby in the Minnie hat and outfit.

Okay, so our 9 day trip was easily turning into only 7 days in the park after you factored in two full travel days and an immediate rest day. Then there was the matter of needing a rest day somewhere in the middle to recuperate from all the go go going I knew we would be doing. Now we're down to 6 days in the park. We did 6 days in January. It wasn't the worst thing ever. Heck, I know people go for even less days than that. But we left our trip this year feeling like there was so much we didn't accomplish. And that was during a much slower season than this trip would be (darn school calendar messing everything up ;)). Plus, a cheap flight to Orlando for us isn't really cheap. And Ellie will require a plane ticket this year adding to the cost. It just kept feeling more and more like we needed more time. We wanted this trip to feel full but relaxed, if that makes sense.

And that's how we ended up at Art of Animation for one night (cash), followed by 9 nights at Grand Flordian Villas (DVC points). But we just did a trip where we switched resorts after two nights so that we could stay a majority of the time in a 1 bedroom villa for the space. We hated having to feel unsettled the first two nights since it made no sense to unpack. We hated being "without a room" for an afternoon since check-out is at 11:00 a.m. and check-in isn't until 4:00 p.m. Basically, this idea wasn't settling very well either.

Our next idea was to see, if we paid cash for a night or two at Grand Floridian Villas, could they connect it to our DVC portion so that we never had to change rooms. I cannot give you the answer to that question, because we looked at the cost first. Y'all it isn't pretty. Don't do it. Your eyes will be scarred and you will temporarily be short of breath. Trust me.

And that's when we started laying out points for all the other DVC resorts to see where we could stay longer. There were several that would work, really only excluding GFV and Polynesian. But there were three that made it into the top running for us. We talked about it. We thought about it. We talked about it some more and in the end the choice was really easy. We are trading in the Grand Floridian Villas for

The Wilderness Lodge Villas!

Okay, I know, I know, it seems sorta crazy. No monorail, no fancy bathroom, no marble floors, no extra square footage. It's not the same fabulousness that the GFVs are. But, you guys, this place is kind of like home to us. We stayed here (in the lodge) for our Disneymoon. We stayed here for our one year anniversary trip (which was also our first DVC stay at Disney World). We made excuses to visit here on our Babymoon trip. We made a meal reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe just so we could bring James to see it on his first WDW visit. We stayed her for our first WDW trip as a family of four.

It's rustic chic and it's so us. I mean, come on, I use words like y'all. My favorite food is corn on the cob slathered in butter. I will pick boots or sandals over heels any day of the week. I'm so not cut out for the Grand Floridian life ;) #totallykidding
Please know I do not judge the Grand Floridan or people that stay there in any way, shape or form.

All kidding aside, we really do love the Wilderness Lodge. We love the grandeur of the lobby when you walk in. We love the smell that hits you as soon as you step into the amazing lobby. We love that the DVC portion is small and cozy and a short bridge away from the main lodge. And they have the boat to Magic Kingdom. And I wished for my first baby off the bridge in that amazing lobby. Basically our heart belongs to the Lodge.

It also doesn't hurt that we don't really have to stress about if the nights will be available when we reach the 7 month booking mark in October like we would have with Grand Floridian. Oh! And there's the minor detail of being able to switch our stay from nine nights to TWELVE!!! EEEEEEEEEEK, let the planning commence...

Reading as well. I have a pre-trip report going for our December 2016 trip already going so 304 days is nothing. Okay my report also includes our January trip too, but who's counting.

Your kids are adorable. I love the picture of Eliana as a baby in the Minnie hat and outfit.

Thank you for joining in on the planning fun :) I swear the planning is (almost) as fun as the actual trip itself. It just gives me a little rush of joy to be immersed in the Disney mindset.

Your comment about the kids is so sweet. That is one of my favorite pictures of Ellie :)

Heading over to read your report now!

Mine do that too, but they're definitely DisKids at heart

Ack, missed your comment when I was updating! James is 1,000% a DisKid. When Ellie asks for Bubble Guppies or something he tells her "Elllllllieeeee, those aren't the right shows" with a big 'ol pout :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mine are big YouTube video kids at this point. They like all the youtube videos of other people playing minecraft, I don't get it!

They are also big into PBSkids as well at this point. That being said Frozen is on at least 2 to 3 times a week as well as other Disney movies so I can't complain too much.

I love Wilderness Lodge! I didn't realize you weren't stay at GFV when I read that first update, this is great!

Have you looked into how the construction will effect your stay? Seems like rates could be cheaper?

Mine are big YouTube video kids at this point. They like all the youtube videos of other people playing minecraft, I don't get it!

They are also big into PBSkids as well at this point. That being said Frozen is on at least 2 to 3 times a week as well as other Disney movies so I can't complain too much.

My 4-year-old is obssessed with watching toy review videos on YouTube. My husband says it's just like me and the Disboards, if I can't I have my vacation then I'm gonna live through other people having one. Maybe he's right :)

Oh, goodness, Frozen is still HUGE in this house with Ellie. In fact, I kid you not, just 10 minutes ago I heard her singing 'Let It Go' at the top of her lungs, went in to get her out of bed, but she was still sound asleep :rotfl:

I love Wilderness Lodge! I didn't realize you weren't stay at GFV when I read that first update, this is great!

Have you looked into how the construction will effect your stay? Seems like rates could be cheaper?

Construction say what?!?! I hadn't got far enough into looking at refurbs and such yet. Our dates were pretty much locked in by school/summer/work calendars. Ack, off to go see how it will affect us now :crazy2:

Alright, we've got all 5 big W's covered, so let's get down to the real fun. Planning it all out! My heart is fluttering just thinking about it. As mentioned in my intro's I am a big, big, big planner. My computer currently has a saved layout for packing lists, trip budgets, dining plan comparisons and important booking dates (which are also programmed into my phone's calendar). Some might call me obsessive, I just call myself prepared ;)

Now, I know that with over 300 days to go that these plans will most definitely change. But let's be honest that's part of the fun. So, let's get down to business.

Day One: Arrival Day

I tend to refer to this day as the best day ever. Work and meetings are being left behind, school is being left behind, housework and cooking are being left behind. Vacation is just beginning and up ahead it's nothing but rides and shows and Mickey and happy-go-lucky good times!

We will most definitely be flying Southwest as I have some flight vouchers to use, and, hello, free bags! They don't have their schedule released past the first week of March yet. But it will probably be get up while it's still dark outside, arrive at the airport parking right as the sun is peeking out, and board a plane earlier than we are usually eating breakfast :rotfl2:

James waiting to board the plane for his first Disney trip, 2012

Our first flight leg will probably be around 2-2.5 hours. I'm hoping that the kids will sleep for at least part of it, but I'm also packing them each a small plane bag with new activities, snacks and their iPads loaded with new shows to keep them occupied. I know everybody says that kids don't bother people as much as the parent thinks, but I still stress out about it anyway. They will be excited, which means they will be hyper, which means they will be loud. Just being honest.

We will without a doubt have a layover somewhere since non-stops from here to Orlando are virtually non-existent through Southwest. My only goal is to avoid a layover in Kansas City. I just do not understand their boarding area at all. It is so tight and confined and there's hardly any meal options. We need space for the kids to release some built up energy. And food. Must have food.

Our arrival into Orlando will likely be right around 3:00 p.m. So, after deboarding the plane we will make our way into the airport, stop to breathe in some amazing Orlando humidity (totally not kidding, I love it!) and make our way to Emory. Last trip James got super excited when we got on the airport monorail, shuttle thing, as he thought it was Emory, from Chuggington, so that's what we refer to it in our house now.

Next stop will be the Magical Express line, which, by the way, I love how easy it is to just swipe your Magicband and be on your way. I can remember back to our honeymoon trip having to stand in a big 'ol line with our ME booklet before being directed into an additional line where we had to wait for our bus. One point for Magicbands ;) This is where the energy really starts to amp up for me, it's like seeing all the beautiful buses just makes it feel really real.
Insert crossing fingers that we get a beautiful Mickey bus and not a banana yellow Mears bus.

And from this moment on it's all Disney all the time. Ahhhhhh, sweet, wonderful bliss.

In the past we have been the last resort for drop off and I assume it will be the same for this trip as well. I know a lot of people get antsy and/or frustrated when they aren't the first, but I secretly like being last. I love sitting there listening to all the vacation chatter going on, seeing the excited faces of people as they get off the bus, and seeing all the other resorts we stop at. Call me crazy, but it's true.

Once we arrive at Wilderness Lodge we will check into our room which should be ready no problem since it will easily be after 4:00 p.m. at this point. One of us will stroll around the lobby with the kiddos (likely Candi) while the other (likely me) will go take care of all the front desk stuff. After that we will head outside, across the bridge, and into the Villas where we will excitedly enter our room knowing our stay has just begun.

Birds eye view of the Villas "lobby" area

I will have packed swim attire and a change of clothes in our carry on bag, so swimming will be an option. But grabbing food from Roaring Forks and/or roaming the grounds will be as well. We will wait and see what the majority feels like doing. My only hope is that all of our bags arrive before we need to get ready for dinner. This way I can unpack, organize and not be stressed about any of that for the rest of our trip. I am SO excited to feel like we are "living at Disney" for this trip :hyper:

Dinner that night is planned to be around 8:00 p.m. which I know sounds so incredibly late, but we will still be on Mountain time and 6:00 p.m. is our normal dinner time.

I'm hoping that I can send the kids and Candi out the door slightly ahead of me for dinner so that I can leave new jammies, new stuffed animals and a note from Mickey and Minnie on the bed to be waiting for them when we return.

As far as dinner goes, currently we are tossing around a few ideas:

1. Whispering Canyon Cafe (pros: in our hotel, no rush to grab transportation, not having to allot for transportation time, all you can eat option allowing Ellie to eat for free; cons: have eaten here twice previously and weren't wow'd by it either time)

James at WCC on his first Disney trip, 2012

2. Chef Mickey's (pros: character meal to start off the trip, buffet allowing Ellie to eat for free; cons: not in our hotel - will need to grab the boat from WL to Contemporary, have heard many mixed reviews about dinner)

3. 'Ohana (pros: bread pudding!, might be able to time it to see Wishes during dinner, all you can eat allowing Ellie to eat for free; cons: not in our hotel - will need to grab the boat from WL to Contemporary and the monorail to Polynesian, last visit here was only so-so)

The three of us at 'Ohana, 2012

4. 1900 Park Fare (pros: character meal to start off the trip, buffet allowing Ellie to eat for free; cons: not in our hotel - will need to grab the boat from WL to Contemporary and the monorail to GF, James wouldn't touch any of the food except for bread last visit, characters are more for Ellie than James)

Ellie blowing kisses at Prince Charming, 1900 Park Fare, 2015

So, as you can see we still have some deciding to do, but those are our contenders. At any rate after dinner we will head back to our room and get settled down for the night. Baths, jammies, prayers, possibly a little TV to help everyone decompress, then lights out, with dreams of 12 magical days ahead of us...

Yes, Wolderness Lodge is undergoing massive refurb starting beginning of the year!

Okay, I just found information on a couple sites. It looks like it's only affecting areas that we don't usually visit anyway (the quiet pool, playground etc). Thanks for the heads up though, because I will definitely keep any eye on it as we approach our 7 month booking date :scared:

Remember how I said that I love to plan? Well, being the dork that I am I also love to make lists (and cross things off lists!). They help to get my millions of thoughts on paper (yes, I keep a pen and paper style list) and help to calm me. Along with that I also love to read other people's lists...please, don't send me to the loony bin, I get how crazy all this makes me sound. Anyway, my husband loves me and he loves Disney and he tolerates helping plan our trips, but he draws the line at listening to and/or reading my 10,000 lists. If you combine all the things above then I think you see where this is going...I am going to share my lists here. I assume that most of y'all are as planning obsessed as me and won't mind nearly as much as he does. And if my planning lists can help anybody then that's a cherry on the whipped cream topped sundae to me ::yes::

Pre-Arrival Day To Do:

1. Book flights via Southwest (schedule currently only released through March 8, 2016)
2. Book resort (have to wait until 7-month window since VWL isn't our "home" resort)
3. Add dining plan to booking
4. Purchase park tickets
5. Decide about adding park hoppers and/or water park & more option
6. Purchase Memory Maker (discount if purchased ahead of time)
7. Make James' autograph book and order it
8. Make Ellie's autograph book and order it
9. Order set of trading pins via Ebay for each of us
10. Order pin lanyard for Ellie
11. Make list of resort delivery items for arrival (waters, diapers etc)
12. Place resort delivery (decide between Garden Grocer, Amazon Prime or somewhere else)
13. Get pre-trip manicure, pedicure, eyebrow wax, hair cut, hair color (gotta look my best for the Mouse ;))
14. Make packing list and list of clothing items that might need to be purchased
15. Purchase any necessary clothing
16. Purchase Southwest gift cards via Target for 5% discount
17. Purchase Disney gift cards via Target for 5% discount

18. Look into if it's worth opening a Disney Vacation Account
19. Purchase supplies to make travel day tees (for all of us)
20. Make James' travel day tee
21. Make Ellie's travel day tee
22. Make my travel day tee
23. Make Candi's travel day tee
24. Purchase Ellie's Little Golden book for special autograph
25. Purchase James' Little Golden book for special autograph
26. Make stroller license plate
27. Make daily money envelopes
28. Make pressed penny holders
29. Purchase rain cover for stroller
30. Make Disney savings jar
31. Decide how to reveal trip to kiddos
32. Make Disney countdown of some sort
33. Plan out Disney movie nights
34. Start Disney box
35. Reward site like crazy (Swagbucks, PerkTV)

To Do's for Arrival Day:

1. Make dinner reservation (have to wait until the 180 day mark)
2. Purchase James' plane bag items
3. Purchase Ellie's plane bag items
4. Purchase James' jammies and stuffed animal for Mickey gift
5. Purchase Ellie's jammies and stuffed animal for Mickey gift
6. Write and print letter from Mickey and Minnie

And to avoid making this the longest post in history I will stop there and share each additional days list following the planning post for that day.

So, how does it look? Am I missing anything important?

Have a great weekend everyone!

View of Cinderella's Castle from Polynesian Beach, Honeymoon, 2008

Last edited:
I share your love of lists!! They're the BEST! I agree they're very relaxing and therapeutic, not everyone gets that!!

Those look pretty comprehensive to me... But when trying to think of my pre arrival and travel days here's a few things we also do:

• Start a Disney box, we basically have a box in our room, and anytime I buy or find something in the house that is for our trip I throw it in! It really helps with the small things, band aids, pins, etc, so I don't forget them!
  • Gather addresses and a few stamps to send postcards from Disney.
  • Print off and laminate our daily touring schedule. I totally love the ones I did last year, I even had notes to self such as asking for a particular magic shot I knew they only did in a certain park, etc

You probably already know... But in case you don't, the Disney store is running their buy one get one for $1 promo on stuffies right now! Good time to buy the Mickey gifts! :thumbsup2

You probably already know... But in case you don't, the Disney store is running their buy one get one for $1 promo on stuffies right now! Good time to buy the Mickey gifts! :thumbsup2

I didn't know this. I really shouldn't know this. To the Disney store Batman, or should that be Spider-Man? since they at least own that IP.

It always takes me a looot of self control not to start off PTRs many, many days in advance as well, so I definitely get you there.

Definitely liking that pre-trip check list too, and totally snatching some stuff off of it! It'll be our first time traveling with children, so we definitely have to adjust our planning, and stuff like stroller rain covers never even crossed my mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter