The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower FAQ with PICs! (July 2011)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by CR Resort Fan 4 Life, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. familygoboston

familygoboston Mouseketeer

LOL! Yes, with teen girls bathrooms;) The girls actually thought VWL was a nice choice too, they would be excited about either, but Dh really wanted the walk and monorail! If the $600 were the difference between eating or not or going on another trip or not, it would be no question, it's just against my "yankee" thrift to spend money I don't have too. Actually, I think it's the bed sharing that will put BLT over the top. Not having to listen to them squabble over who has the "biggest half" has to be worth 600!:rolleyes:

Kook, I loved your review:love:. It was great!! We can't really split the trip- it's already a short trip. We are visiting my DM and DD on the West coast and just adding 3 nights at WDW expressly to see FLE.

I have to contact the agent today, and I think we will stay put. The extra bath, bed and walking distance are well worth it. So we stay put!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. StephLS

StephLS Everything Disney

Well I just want to put in my little thoughts. The walk to and from MK is really special and my kids really loved the convience of it. Also monorail to Epcot is nice and short compared to busing it.
    Since you are making it a short trip those extra time savers are useful.
    Just saying, either way you are going to Disney so Yippee!:cool1: Enjoy!

4. familygoboston

familygoboston Mouseketeer

Thanks Steph- yes, in the end, that's what we decided, it was a short trip, and the convenience factor ( shorter time to parks, quicker " getting ready" morning times with the extra bath etc) will be huge to allow us more time in the parks and to enjoy the resort.
    We are so looking forward to it! My young cousin just visited and I put some of her photos on the New Fantasyland thread, and my TA went last week and loved it! Even though my girls aren't "little" any more, they still love the " magic", guess I brought them up right!:thumbsup2

5. dchi

dchi Mouseketeer

Just got back from our third trip to the Contemporary. Magic Kingdom view for the third time. ( I'm hooked on that view ) We were in room 4341 this time. Talked to a CM that said they were remodeling the lobby and replacing all the mattresses in January. I think the lobby looks great but new will be fun. Of course I am not sure if this is going to happen for sure only telling what I was told by one of the concierge. We had a great trip as usual. I started staying here after reading what CR resort fan for life wrote and now I don't think I can stay anywhere else or have any other view. Woke up one morning and opened the drapes and they were decorating the Christmas tree out front. I loved just watching the man finish up the decorating while it was still very dark outside.

6. closetmickey

closetmickey DIS Veteran

Really? Remodeling the lobby? We are going next August- that would be fun to see!

7. babyberger

babyberger DIS Veteran

Hmmmm, this will be interesting. We are going in Dec and again in Feb, I wonder how much will change????

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

8. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Wonder how long it would take them to renovate the lobby? With the 14th floor and California Grill also being renovated next year, there will be quite a bit of work going on.

We'll be there in June (at BLT) so I hope the lobby would be done by then. I just love seeing newly designed spaces!

A couple food questions for those of you who frequent the resort. Any experiences with room service or food at Outer Rim, Top of the World, Sand Bar, or the bar at The Wave? Looking for ideas of where to eat if we don't want a traditional table service or counter service meal. I'm good with appetizers and drinks instead of dinner some nights, and we'll have a couple young children in our party so I'm sure some of the family will need some away time. Thanks!

9. shanemc921

shanemc921 Earning My Ears

Just a quick question. I'm doing a split stay in December for the holidays, between the Contemp and the Dolphin. I've heard mixed reviews, since the Dolphin isn't a Disney owned hotel, but will the Contemp transfer my bags to the Dolphin?

I got to use the bag transfer service in October during my split stay at the Contemp and AKL, and was hoping to take advantage of this great service again.

Thanks for the help!

10. annej

annej <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Question - and I apologize if I missed this answer somewhere else - where are the smoking areas at BLT and the CR?

Thanks!

11. WDWKOOK

WDWKOOK NOW WITH LESS TAG!

Thank you for posting about your recent trip - glad to hear you had a great time. Thank you for posting about the lobby rehab, too. (I feel like it was just redone a few years ago:confused3). I hadn't heard anything about it so it will be interesting to follow this story.

you'll have to let us know;)

I've only eaten at the Sand Bar and it was nothing special - basic pool fare which you don't want to leave unattended or the birds will help themselves:upsidedow

Sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for club level since you sometimes prefer snacks and appetizers to meals. Have you considered the Atrium Club?

Since the Swolphin aren't Disney-owned (but they're on Disney property), I don't believe they will transfer your luggage. Your best bet would be a cab.

Here are the BLT and CR DSAs:

[​IMG]

12. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

I'm fairly sure that the lobby was rehabbed about 4 to 5 years ago, during the time that all of the changes were occurring in the Grand Canyon Concourse. My last stay at the CR was about 5 years ago and I think the changes to the lobby had just been finished. It will be interesting to see if this rumor turns out to be accurate.

13. WDWKOOK

It was four years ago this month that the Contempo Cafe first opened, so it has been about 4 years now since the last lobby rehab.

Here's a link to the old lobby in 2007:

http://contemporaryresort.net/lobbyclassic.html

14. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

The last time I stayed at the CR, Contempo Cafe had just opened but there still was construction in the concourse. I believe they were still working on the Outer Rim. I remember sitting in the Cafe and listening to the sounds of jackhammers and saws.

Seems like a short interval to be doing a lobby rehab again.

15. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

We'll actually be at BLT in a 2 bedroom with my parent's DVC points, but I've had the pleasure to stay on the Atrium Club in the past and really enjoyed it. I wish that was an option this time around but we'd really need 2-3 rooms!

Maybe I'll just plan on picking up some snacks, cheeses, salami, etc at Publix to do some lighter meals.

16. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

I think it would be great if they returned the Mickey Mouse and Stravinsky sculpture to the Contemporary lobby. I was told that the sculpture had been moved to the Animation Tour at DHS but I've never been able to find it there.

17. psac

psac DIS Veteran

I've done that animation tour many times and I've definitely never seen that statue! I hope it does return.

18. WDWKOOK

On select dates in November and December 2012, Disney Vacation Club members are eligible for free admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach after 2 p.m. Eligible dates are: Thursday, November 29; Thursday, December 6; Thursday, December 13. A DVC member ID card must be presented at the park gate. Free admission is provided to the cardholder and up to four guests. Advance registration is not available. Additionally, free refreshments will be provided to attendees at the park's Lottawatta Lounge. Note that the park is scheduled to close at 5 p.m. on the listed dates.

From the latest AllEars newsletter.

19. WDWKOOK

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our wonderful CR/BLT posters (and lurkers, t;);))!​

20. EpcotBill

EpcotBill DIS Veteran

The sculpture is Mickey and Leopold Stokowski not Igor Stravinsky. Stokowski was the conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra when Fantasia was made. The sculpture is from the scene in the movie when Mickey shakes Stokowski's hand.

21. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

Yes, that's right. I confused the two. Stravinsky composed "The Rite of Spring" which was used as one of the musical segments in Fantasia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.