The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Oh, I'd love to!
Uh.... what's the Ditch?

Obviously I have some work to do in edjuhmakating you....

La Cava del Tequila is affectionately called The Ditch: once you fall in, it's pretty hard to climb back out. @GoofyFan1515 and @Poolrat - should this be our inaugural DISMeet drink place?

From what little I know of you, through the DIS, I have no doubt that you will be just fine.

I hope it's not too much longer off. They've been married about 9 months now. ;)

See? And there's a great start!

YAY!

Well..... that would be a good reason, actually. :laughing:

Spoken like a true blue TR-Writing Fool. Er, not that you're foolish... just a saying, ya know.

I just had a thought, after reading that.
I know a lot of people are upset about Avatarland.
"What does that have to do with animals! It's a zoo!"

Well, actually, it's nahtazu. And also... it's already got Dinoland... which isn't about a zoo either, right?
I'll withhold judgment until it's finished and I can see for myself.

Agreed! And I still think there'll be PLENTY of animals thrown in for good measure.

And some people just read too much into it... :rolleyes1

I simply thought Avatar sucked and I wish they'd put that money into something that doesn't. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I loved Avatar, but.... Well, if anyone can make a theme park around a movie, it's Disney.
We'll see.

This is actually a worthy debate! Since I haven't seen it, I'll reserve judgement on how I think they'll conceptualize it. I think they'll pull it off just fine. I'd rather go into thinking the better over going in thinking it's gonna suck, since that'll sway my opinion more than the other. Does that even make sense? Ugh, time for this all-nighter shift to get going... Hope your night/evening goes well Gentlemen.

Soarin' is my FAVORITE ride. I'm hoping we squeeze in 3 rides on our trip (rope drop, FP+, 4th FP if we can pull it before they run out). I'm hoping that the orange groves are so popular that they are left in the new film. I think fans will riot if they take out THE signature sight and smell of the ride!

You should be able to- that's excellent strategizing! :thumbsup2

And that's actually a good thought! It IS what everyone remembers from it, so it just may be that they keep it! I KNOW they'll keep the Castle flyover for sure. That's a duh.

La Cava del Tequila is affectionately called The Ditch: once you fall in, it's pretty hard to climb back out.

Ah. Now I knows.

Spoken like a true blue TR-Writing Fool. Er, not that you're foolish... just a saying, ya know.

Sure. Let's go with that.

This is actually a worthy debate! Since I haven't seen it, I'll reserve judgement on how I think they'll conceptualize it. I think they'll pull it off just fine. I'd rather go into thinking the better over going in thinking it's gonna suck, since that'll sway my opinion more than the other.

Here's another thought...
"Did you hear the terrible news?"
"No! What?"
"You'll never believe what they're doing over at AK."
"What? What?"
"They're going to build an entire attraction around.... wait for it... The abominable snowman!"
"What?!?!?! That's crazy! What does that have to do with real animals???"

I loved Avatar, but.... Well, if anyone can make a theme park around a movie, it's Disney.
We'll see.
True, I'm sure Disney will do a great job with it. I'm just not sure I'll care. :confused3 :rotfl:

Kind of like Harry Potter at that other park. They did a phenomenal job with the land and the rides. But it isn't a franchise I've watched and gotten interested in, so as amazing as all of it is, I just don't feel the need to spend much time there. Basically hit RD, ride the ride and move on to the Hulk or something.

I guess saying it sucked might have been harsh. I watched it once. I didn't turn it off before it ended. I just kind of felt indifferent about it and I've never watched it a second time, nor do I have any desire to do so. But I tend to not be a James Cameron fan either. I'll give credit where credit is due when it comes to the Terminator franchise, but in general, his movies just don't usually do much for me.

Ok. Fine. I'll go see it. My kids gave it a so-so. My hubs a nah, too in your face save the planet-y for him.
I wouldn't tell anyone not to see it. Especially with it coming to AK, you probably should. It isn't a movie that I turned off halfway through, but I just don't have any desire to see it again. And I may or may not watch the sequels. DW did like Avatar, so I'm sure I'll end up seeing them, but it isn't necessarily something I'm eagerly anticipating.

Are you even kidding me?! I guess I just pushed "Delete Draft" instead of saving it, Andy... Because I'm nice (and only slightly OCD) I'll start over and try to remember everything I just spent typing for 20 minutes. :(
I'm sorry that happened, but I just want to note that I do appreciate the effort. :thumbsup2

Stupid movies I have liked:

Princess Bride

My Cousin Vinnie (watch the vile language, but funny story line)

Anything Monty Python
Out Cold - I'm sure you've never seen it or heard of it. I don't think many people saw it, but my college roommate and I watched it way more times than we ever should have. Funny, but really, really stupid.

AK was the lowest ranked for me too after my very first trip there in 2000. It was dismally lacking in anything to do and HOT. The landscaping was immature and we wandered around for a couple of hours wondering, "What the HECK?" I don't remember if we had PHs, but I remember going back to MK and feeling better that we'd redeemed our day. I vaguely remember something like every ticket back then was a PH??
That's pretty much how I felt about it in 1998. I think the fact that I experienced it then, and then had a 10 year gap between visits is what really made it hard for AK to really grab me. I didn't really get to see and experience the park growing. I just remembered it as this Zoo-ish park that really didn't even seem to have all that many animals to begin with... and then when I got back it was a zoo-ish park with Expedition Everest. :rotfl:

Anyway, since then, the park has really grown on me. After our trip in 2010, and I was just getting excited about photography, it was "grown up". The plants had provided more shade, there was more to do.... BUT most of all, and this is what was the game changer for me: I had done my homework. I knew the backstory (those are really important to me), I knew what there was to do, what I wanted to see, where things were, etc... made all the difference in the world! I tend to think that of all the parks, it shows better than any other the detail and thought that went into the story and feel they wanted.
Definitely! I do know the backstory, and as I said, I feel like AK definitely does this the best of any of the parks. It still isn't enough to move it up the list though. :rotfl2:

As for Avatar coming. Here's what I like about it- even having not seen the movie... yet. I like that every single time I go to WDW there is something new to see or do. I will go without a preconceived opinion and if I don't like it, I don't have to go back and there will STILL be plenty left to do at WDW for me to try out. Having said that, I doubt very highly that the new Land will be devoid of animals. Their overarching mission is animal preservation and it's the common theme that ties the entire park together. Well, that and sucking every last dollar from your wallet. Which is what ties every park, resort, snack, and souvenir together.
I agree. I love new additions to the parks. I'm sure they'll do an awesome job with Avatar. I know a lot of people love the movies and will love the land. I hope that I will love the land. I'll definitely give it a chance.

Whether it fits in AK or not... eh, I really don't care. I think I'm just disappointed that they're pouring so many resources into attractions based on a movie I didn't like when they could be using them to do attractions for other Disney films. But that's just me being selfish. It's just kind of like what I said about Harry Potter. It just isn't a franchise I've gotten into. But I've actually enjoyed the one movie I've seen. When I go to Universal though, as great as the ride is and as amazing as all the detail in the land is, it just doesn't do a lot for me.

As for the animals... we'll see. In Dinoland, the animals are fake dinosaurs. I'd imagine that in Avatarland, any animals would likely be natives of the fictional planet Pandora.

Although I love a lot about the PNW, I would still move to Florida at the first chance I get. That said, we have alpine, desert, rugged coast/beach, temperate, AND rain forest, riverfront, urban, and steppe-ish landscapes all within a 6 hour drive of anything else listed. "Hey, Hon, what kind of camping trip would you like to go on this holiday weekend?" You can choose ANY of them. That's pretty cool. AND to top it off, we have excellent craft beer (from what I'm told- I detest beer) to take along with you. If you don't like beer, we have the finest Pinot Noir in the country. If you still don't like that, we have the Trailblazers, who happened to kinda suck right now, compared to years past. Although that's still fair to middling relatively speaking.
Yes, the beer is great. The land is diverse and beautiful - I think my favorite part of the geography out there is driving along the Snake River or Columbia River. Some beautiful sights to see along there! I'll admit though, as much as I enjoyed the countryside out there, I have no desire to ever go back to Portland. I had to stay in Portland for a week for a conference. I'm trying to remember exactly where I stayed, but the hotels I've stayed in just run together. It was somewhere downtown, near the river. Not directly across from where the Trailblazers play, but we weren't far from there. It just wasn't a good experience. We had homeless people sleeping on hotel property every evening when we'd come back from dinner. And look, I understand people have problems. I don't want to sound heartless, but is it really a good image for your city when people are sleeping I the bushes outside of a hotel used for conference attendees? That was just a minor detail though. I had 2 co-workers who had computers stolen from their rooms and we were waiting for a train to take us across town for dinner one evening when someone rode by on a bike and spit on us. Then another night, we went to a bar. It was just a small little place with a craft beer menu, but we just really didn't feel welcome there at all. In hindsight, I think it might have been a hipster place that we visited before I even knew what a hipster was. Sorry, not to bash Portland, but like we've mentioned, first impressions are lasting impressions and we certainly didn't have a great week

Some ya win and some ya lose. POP was a loser for me, in general. Loud, obnoxious, rude guests, and just not very relaxing. I suppose if you're ok with a crowd who is there to party, cuss, smoke wherever they want and cut in lines at the Food Court, then I guess that's the resort for. I'm sure it's not always like that, but it left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. Sorry, @englishrose47!! I know this is your home away from home!! It just wasn't my cup of tea.
See above remarks. :rotfl2: I totally get you. Your Pop is my CSR. And Pop is also one of my favorites. Our experience there was fantastic. :thumbsup2

This is actually a worthy debate! Since I haven't seen it, I'll reserve judgement on how I think they'll conceptualize it. I think they'll pull it off just fine. I'd rather go into thinking the better over going in thinking it's gonna suck, since that'll sway my opinion more than the other. Does that even make sense? Ugh, time for this all-nighter shift to get going... Hope your night/evening goes well Gentlemen.
Yeah, I think they'll do a great job with it. I don't question the imagineers' ability to polish that turd. :rolleyes1

I'll definitely give it a chance. I want to be blown away by it. I really do!

"No! What?"
"What? What?"
"They're going to build an entire attraction around.... wait for it... The abominable snowman!"
The whole animal or lack thereof doesn't bother me at all. Even the Imagineers had originally planned for a Beastly kingdom to be a part of the park. Heck, there's a frickin dragon on the park's logo!

But I tend to not be a James Cameron fan either. I'll give credit where credit is due when it comes to the Terminator franchise, but in general, his movies just don't usually do much for me.

Just out of curiosity, what about The Abyss or True Lies?

Even the Imagineers had originally planned for a Beastly kingdom to be a part of the park. Heck, there's a frickin dragon on the park's logo!

Yeah, but now they can just paint it blue and they're good to go!

Tell Sarah that she should reconsider her career choice. Just have her ponder the endless possibilities to escape to the DIS when necessary... which apparently is quite a lot.

I think she would LOVE to be an Imagineer. She has both the artistic and science/math sides. She'd fit right in. But that's a really competitive path to take.

I want to see what happening in my friend's lives, not their using that space as a personal soapbox for loads of bullpoop and drama.

This. ::yes::

Some of those guys in suits are actually girls playing guys. Just sayin'. It will blow their minds.

I'm guessing most of them are, just from the general height of the characters.

Ok. Fine. I'll go see it. My kids gave it a so-so. My hubs a nah, too in your face save the planet-y for him.

So-so is about right. The special effects and 3D were some of the best I've seen. James Cameron always puts cool action sequences together. But the plot was a complete rip-off of Pocahontas (or Dances with Wolves) and the environmental message got very preachy.

Stupid movies I have liked:

Princess Bride

My Cousin Vinnie (watch the vile language, but funny story line)

Anything Monty Python

Those aren't stupid, they're great!:thumbsup2

Just out of curiosity, what about The Abyss or True Lies?

The Abyss is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen with one of the worst endings I've ever seen. True Lies has a great 1st act and 3rd act, but that middle section with the used car guy seems to come out of a completely different movie.

So-so is about right. The special effects and 3D were some of the best I've seen. James Cameron always puts cool action sequences together. But the plot was a complete rip-off of Pocahontas (or Dances with Wolves) and the environmental message got very preachy.

The Abyss is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen with one of the worst endings I've ever seen. True Lies has a great 1st act and 3rd act, but that middle section with the used car guy seems to come out of a completely different movie.
I certainly can't disagree with your movie logic. you just seem to have a better way of saying it than I do. :rotfl2:

Ah. Now I knows.

Do keep a trip around then an option... we'd love to have another one of the crowd to meet up!

"No! What?"
"What? What?"

Yes, the whole mythical animal side to the concept. I think they really gave themselves a plausible and HUGELY profitable option by including this facet. Just think of all the possibilities they could have, or still could, go with: Greek mythology, fairy tale creatures, a la Narnia, which in my opinion would have been cooler than Avatar without even having seen it... really the skies the limit there. I don't fault them from a business side of things for going with this. However, I am curious how they will pull off the actual zoo portion of it....

True, I'm sure Disney will do a great job with it. I'm just not sure I'll care. :confused3 :rotfl:

Kind of like Harry Potter at that other park. They did a phenomenal job with the land and the rides. But it isn't a franchise I've watched and gotten interested in, so as amazing as all of it is, I just don't feel the need to spend much time there. Basically hit RD, ride the ride and move on to the Hulk or something.

I guess saying it sucked might have been harsh. I watched it once. I didn't turn it off before it ended. I just kind of felt indifferent about it and I've never watched it a second time, nor do I have any desire to do so. But I tend to not be a James Cameron fan either. I'll give credit where credit is due when it comes to the Terminator franchise, but in general, his movies just don't usually do much for me.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to see it. Especially with it coming to AK, you probably should. It isn't a movie that I turned off halfway through, but I just don't have any desire to see it again. And I may or may not watch the sequels. DW did like Avatar, so I'm sure I'll end up seeing them, but it isn't necessarily something I'm eagerly anticipating.

Now, that I can actually relate to! I have seen the HP movies and to be very honest, I thought they were extremely mediocre. Sorry to all my HP fans out there, just not my cup of tea at all. To me they were all the same story over and over and over: teenage love stories, battling Creatures of the Dark World, blah, blah, blah. So, as much as I think HP land is probably super well done as far as bringing that story to life, I just can't get into it. I'm not a fan. So yes, I completely get your reticence for Avatarland.

I'm sorry that happened, but I just want to note that I do appreciate the effort. :thumbsup2

LOL! It was better than studying bleeding ulcers which was the other exciting option.

Out Cold - I'm sure you've never seen it or heard of it. I don't think many people saw it, but my college roommate and I watched it way more times than we ever should have. Funny, but really, really stupid.

That's pretty much how I felt about it in 1998. I think the fact that I experienced it then, and then had a 10 year gap between visits is what really made it hard for AK to really grab me. I didn't really get to see and experience the park growing. I just remembered it as this Zoo-ish park that really didn't even seem to have all that many animals to begin with... and then when I got back it was a zoo-ish park with Expedition Everest. :rotfl:

Definitely! I do know the backstory, and as I said, I feel like AK definitely does this the best of any of the parks. It still isn't enough to move it up the list though. :rotfl2:

:rotfl:True enough. I gotta say though, that I think it has some fabulous shows in FoLK and Nemo too. And I REALLY enjoyed the Rafiki place and all that was there too. You just have to be in the mood to slow down and kinda take a slower-paced mindset for "park touring".

I agree. I love new additions to the parks. I'm sure they'll do an awesome job with Avatar. I know a lot of people love the movies and will love the land. I hope that I will love the land. I'll definitely give it a chance.

:thumbsup2 Maybe it will surprise you in a big way. However, ummmm.... given the message of the movie, etc.... I"m wondering now if it will have bacon to lure you there or not. :scratchin

Whether it fits in AK or not... eh, I really don't care. I think I'm just disappointed that they're pouring so many resources into attractions based on a movie I didn't like when they could be using them to do attractions for other Disney films. But that's just me being selfish. It's just kind of like what I said about Harry Potter. It just isn't a franchise I've gotten into. But I've actually enjoyed the one movie I've seen. When I go to Universal though, as great as the ride is and as amazing as all the detail in the land is, it just doesn't do a lot for me.

Ok, I wonder if I need to open this can of worms now.... theming rides to every stinking new movie that comes out. Or worse RUINING the existing ones simply to advertise a little more. UGH! Why, OH WHY did they have to completly trash Maelstrom with adding Elsa and her cronies. WHY?! And wrecking a completely pure Mary Blair in IaSW with adding practically every character ever drawn. Jeez! Can't they just keep some of the old fashioned stuff and let our own imaginations come up with the characters (like ourselves) be immersed and imagined into them? When I rode the Disneyland RR as a kid, *I* was an Indian, *I* was the explorer, not Pocahontas being shoved in my face. I dunno, maybe I"m a purist, but does everything have to be themed now after the movie characters? BTMRR, SM, HM, just leave them alone, I say. They had to go and add Capt Jack to PoTC, but it was so perfeclty awesome the way it was and commercialized it. I know it's now somehow better for some with him in there?? But instead of me making up my own story, I"m somehow kinda forced to use their version's storyline now.

Ok, I will step off my soapbox and take the flack I'm about to get, but I still don't like the trend.

As for the animals... we'll see. In Dinoland, the animals are fake dinosaurs. I'd imagine that in Avatarland, any animals would likely be natives of the fictional planet Pandora.

Hmmm..... Maybe. I can totally see (and mind you I haven't seen the movie so am no expert!) a huge butterfly garden here. Another aviary, miniature deer? I dunno....??

Yes, the beer is great. The land is diverse and beautiful - I think my favorite part of the geography out there is driving along the Snake River or Columbia River. Some beautiful sights to see along there! I'll admit though, as much as I enjoyed the countryside out there, I have no desire to ever go back to Portland. I had to stay in Portland for a week for a conference. I'm trying to remember exactly where I stayed, but the hotels I've stayed in just run together. It was somewhere downtown, near the river. Not directly across from where the Trailblazers play, but we weren't far from there. It just wasn't a good experience. We had homeless people sleeping on hotel property every evening when we'd come back from dinner. And look, I understand people have problems. I don't want to sound heartless, but is it really a good image for your city when people are sleeping I the bushes outside of a hotel used for conference attendees? That was just a minor detail though. I had 2 co-workers who had computers stolen from their rooms and we were waiting for a train to take us across town for dinner one evening when someone rode by on a bike and spit on us. Then another night, we went to a bar. It was just a small little place with a craft beer menu, but we just really didn't feel welcome there at all. In hindsight, I think it might have been a hipster place that we visited before I even knew what a hipster was. Sorry, not to bash Portland, but like we've mentioned, first impressions are lasting impressions and we certainly didn't have a great week

The Gorge is pretty cool, for sure!! When it's not 39 and raining. Which makes it pretty cool about 4 days a year. ;)

2 words: Portland sucks.

It's just another urban slum for the most part, but with men who find it attractive (?) to put decorations in their beards. There are some good eats there, being a large city, but nah. Too weird for me.
See above remarks. :rotfl2: I totally get you. Your Pop is my CSR. And Pop is also one of my favorites. Our experience there was fantastic. :thumbsup2

So glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure every resort has its bad days or even seasons; maybe we both just hit a bad time? (One can only hope, rightability[/QUOTE]

The whole animal or lack thereof doesn't bother me at all. Even the Imagineers had originally planned for a Beastly kingdom to be a part of the park. Heck, there's a frickin dragon on the park's logo!

See comments above. Good move on their part, actually!

I think she would LOVE to be an Imagineer. She has both the artistic and science/math sides. She'd fit right in. But that's a really competitive path to take.

Then I'd say Go FOR IT!! But yes, she needs some sort of "in". It's a tight community, but with talent, she has a shot! Nothing like setting the bar high for yourself. :)

I'm guessing most of them are, just from the general height of the characters.

Yup. Michaela threatened to move out and try out down there (at DLR) but changed her mind. The quals are extremely tough; you have to be able to dance, adlib act, pass a screen test, the screen for voice quality, face stuff.

That's what Mike's main complaint was. Overdone which detracted from the story.

Those aren't stupid, they're great!:thumbsup2

Great minds...

I need to watch this again too. My summer movie list is growing!!

Yes, the whole mythical animal side to the concept. I think they really gave themselves a plausible and HUGELY profitable option by including this facet. Just think of all the possibilities they could have, or still could, go with: Greek mythology, fairy tale creatures, a la Narnia, which in my opinion would have been cooler than Avatar without even having seen it... really the skies the limit there. I don't fault them from a business side of things for going with this. However, I am curious how they will pull off the actual zoo portion of it....

All I know for sure is in all probability, when it opens, all the naysayers will be sprinting to it at rope drop everyday for at least a year or two.
And if it happens to be really good, those same naysayers will claim to have always loved the idea.

You didn't know the DIS could be a bona fide tool of therapeutic rest and healing, did you? Now you do.

Yup it is is. I have been so busy that I have no DIS time and well I am just cranky. On top of 60+ hour work weeks.

Haven't tried some of these, but I love Wishes from the Poly beach! I'm hoping the new bungalows there haven't messed it up too much. And I need to get back to Hoop-De-Doo Revue. It's been a long time. Honestly, I love to just resort-hop and check out the details of the different themes.

About the Poly and Wishes. The bungalows now skew the view of the castle. Those point eating way to expensive bungalows have the head on view- I have gone to watching EWP from the boat dock. It is now centered over there and I works well and I don't have to worry about sand bug bites from the beach.
Wishes .... trying to think if I actually stayed to watch from there but without a castle view essentially it take some of the "special" away.

La Cava del Tequila is affectionately called The Ditch: once you fall in, it's pretty hard to climb back out. @GoofyFan1515 and @Poolrat - should this be our inaugural DISMeet drink place?

The Ditch would be perfect. :)

Giving 180% is catching up with me. It is getting MUCH harder to even get out of bed, and for the first time in forever I just took a 3 hour nap in the middle of the afternoon. I DID get my one extra percentage point (so far) on my paper, so am officially at an 89% right now. Now, the last test and Final will end up determining my final grade. Today was my LAST lecture of the year and I've decided I'm not going to study at all for the remainder of the night, but rather pick it back up in the morning at our favorite Coffee Shop for an all-day stint tomorrow.

I totally understand not being able to do everything. I know a lot of our students are trying to juggle jobs and young families- there are even a few single moms trying to do it, but it has been so tough for them. We've lost 8 students out of 56 so far this year, and I anticipate at least a few more next. Not an easy program, but I study when I can, and don't have the energy to do a whole lot more. As for hangovers.... let's just say, that there have been more than a few study sessions that have involved wine. Only once did we go a bit overboard with a White Russian night (when we watched The Big Lebowski- which was quite possibly the stupidest movie ever made, but funny while drinking White Russians), but that was a weekend night which eased the pain of the morning. Our study group, being a bit older, takes it a bit easier; with age comes wisdom. ;)

I love the Big Lebowski, I even threw a Big Lebowski party at my house once (I dressed as "The Jesus")... it didn't end well because someone brought some ultra-premium russian vodka for white russians, and I think that it might have been laced with something because the four of us that drank from that bottle were SO SO sick. We didn't even drink that much! And I served cheeseballs at the party. It was a huge mistake.

Anyway, I often found a little wine with my studying helped me retain more information. So, go for it!

W is for: Wishing I Was Doing Something Else- Pt. 1

With my son in the kitchen cooking dinner, the floors relatively clean from hosting Study Group over the weekend, a hubby not due home for 2 hours and the laundry somewhat caught up, I have decided to walk away from studying for the evening. On purpose. Intentionally. For my own mental health. You didn't know the DIS could be a bona fide tool of therapeutic rest and healing, did you? Now you do.

I'm tired. Really, really tired. Not so much that I'm giving up. Not by a long shot, but I AM going to sit right here in this relciner- where I usually sit to do my nightly butt-widening exercises- and instead of studying about ulcers, diverticulitis, chronic renal failure, and seizures, I am going to write a little update. Because I need to. Not because you really want to hear more unimportant drivel about a random internet family's trip in over a year (but hey, did you see the progress on my ticker?! It's come a fair ways!!), but because I plan to study for the next entire week before my last exam and I need some downtime. Might even pour a margarita (and fancy it up with salt) and sip while I type. ;) Because today was the last day I have to get up before 8:00 until our exam on Tuesday. So, you get an update! Hot diggity!!

But what can I possibly have to write about when there's still 16 months away? What would possibly interest my readers enough to say hello, reply, or even come back? I have some ideas, and while I step away to drive KukiLala into karate, I will stew on it some more.

Ok, I'm back....

Since the nature of a Pre-Trip Report is more vague planning, especially this far out, than actual substance, I won't try and re-invent the wheel. Yes, I throw in some fun pictures along the way, and try to keep it Disney-related as best I can given that this trip isn't even close to being paid for yet, but for the most part, it is life with a side of

Wishing I Was Doing Something Else.

Speaking of which, I haven't taken the opportunity to show a bit more of my Disney side and, since you are reading this you must be at least somewhat more interested in hearing my Disney-prattle than the dirt on the Duggers or that bacon has now been found to be a healthy food source. No lie. I'll see you when you get back from getting your daily recommended allowance.

That was fast; you must have microwaved it.

Now, onto what I

Wish I Was Doing Instead

Or as some might call this: The Almost-Mandatory-Pre-Trip-Chapter-of-My-Favorite-Everything-I-Love-About-WDW-and-The-Readers-Don't-Really-Give-a-Crap-But-Will-Read-It-Anyway-Because-We-Are-Kinda-Like-Family

So without further ado, I bring to you: The Almost-Mandatory-Pre-Trip-Chapter-of-My-Favorite-Everything-I-Love-About-WDW-and-The-Readers-Don't-Really-Give-a-Crap-But-Will-Read-It-Anyway-Because-We-Are-Kinda-Like-Family Chapter....

Starring in tonight's all-star cast is EPCOT. Because EPCOT is awesome and it's my favorite park. By a long shot.

The Runner-Ups are Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and DHS, in that order. I have a feeling that there are very few people out there who would rank them in that order, but I could be wrong.

The reasons for ranking them in that order are fairly simple. I love to travel (obviously) and I love other cultures' foods, costumes, art, ALL of it. I can't go to all of those places and see the real deal, but Disney has done a pretty good job of showing the sterile, clean side of each of those places and I love getting a tiny smidgen of a "visit"

Animal Kingdom ranks above MK because it's more fun to photograph, IMHO, has more quiet places to explore and go at a slower pace that are just beautiful, some excellent street entertainment, super awesome shows (yes, I even love to visit Bwaana Bob!). The animals are pretty cool too.

MK is great; don't get me wrong. I love everything there, and can easily spend 2 full days enjoying everything... just not as much as the other parks. More on what I actually LOVE there in a bit...

DHS is fine. And there's still bits and pieces I haven't even touched, like One Man's Dream, but it's just such a small place with something lacking in draw for me. Again, there are some very, VERY specific things I do love about it, but let's move on for now.

How about favorite rides/attractions? Everyone has their own, and again, I think I'll be hard-pressed to find an identical lineup; that's what makes a trip to Disney so unique to each person and why it appeals to so many.

DHS is the home to my favorite attraction, despite it being my least favorite park in general. ToT is is such a genious work of art, mechanically AND in terms of theming. The backstory is well thought out and the detailing to support it just "works".

Expedition Everest would have to be my favorite at AK, for many of the same reasons that ToT is in the Studios.

Soarin' is my top choice at EPCOT, although I was greatly saddened to hear that the flight is changing scenery sometime soon. Because although, the ride itself is a fun concept, it was really the ride over California, where I grew up, that makes it so very special to me. The scene over the orange groves, in fact, flies directly over the hills, almost to the street, I lived on during my Middle School-High School years, before it veers off to the groves which were directly east of my home in Hemet/San Jacinto/Valle Vista. Yes, I cry every. single. time.

The Magic Kingdom is harder to choose a favorite. So much so, that basically I can't. But the top 3 would be, and not necessarily in this order all the time- it depends on my mood and which line is shortest at any particular time- 1) PoTC 2) HM and 3) Splash. But really almost everything is fun to go on (or in), and I'd go on anything there and enjoy it, except for Stitch. I don't need to smell alien gas, although ironically, I really enjoy Figment farts every trip. So go figure.

This is getting long, and dinner is ready. So I think I will bust this up into 2 parts. I'm going now to mix up my margarita, eat with the family, and then be back up with some more favorites. I'm on a roll and LOVING my evening off!! Also, I am not going to proof this part quite yet. Please excuse my typos, and I'll fix them, after they are forever immortalized into your quoted replies later tonight. :P

ACTUALLY, we almost have the same order of favorite parks... except I would say that EPCOT and AK are tied, because I love Africa so much (I lived in Cameroon for a few years) -- though I would say that EPCOT has a better selection of things to do. The details in Harambe are so amazing to me.... I just loooove it! But MK is my third fav and DHS in last place, probably forever. I, too, love the WS and feeling the culture of each spot in quick succession is so unique. I only wish that they would add a few more countries!

I love your style of update. It makes me :sunny: and :flower: and :teleport: and :teeth:. And I feel like the DIS is cathartic, too! Even when I'm dog tired, I find myself wanting to relax and check in with my Disney homies.

Now, that I can actually relate to! I have seen the HP movies and to be very honest, I thought they were extremely mediocre. Sorry to all my HP fans out there, just not my cup of tea at all. To me they were all the same story over and over and over: teenage love stories, battling Creatures of the Dark World, blah, blah, blah. So, as much as I think HP land is probably super well done as far as bringing that story to life, I just can't get into it. I'm not a fan. So yes, I completely get your reticence for Avatarland.
Hmmm... I'm glad I finally found a good way to convey my feelings about it.

Sometimes, I just aren't good with the words.

:thumbsup2 Maybe it will surprise you in a big way. However, ummmm.... given the message of the movie, etc.... I"m wondering now if it will have bacon to lure you there or not. :scratchin
HP at least has Butterbeer.

Ok, I wonder if I need to open this can of worms now.... theming rides to every stinking new movie that comes out. Or worse RUINING the existing ones simply to advertise a little more. UGH! Why, OH WHY did they have to completly trash Maelstrom with adding Elsa and her cronies. WHY?! And wrecking a completely pure Mary Blair in IaSW with adding practically every character ever drawn. Jeez! Can't they just keep some of the old fashioned stuff and let our own imaginations come up with the characters (like ourselves) be immersed and imagined into them? When I rode the Disneyland RR as a kid, *I* was an Indian, *I* was the explorer, not Pocahontas being shoved in my face. I dunno, maybe I"m a purist, but does everything have to be themed now after the movie characters? BTMRR, SM, HM, just leave them alone, I say. They had to go and add Capt Jack to PoTC, but it was so perfeclty awesome the way it was and commercialized it. I know it's now somehow better for some with him in there?? But instead of me making up my own story, I"m somehow kinda forced to use their version's storyline now.

Ok, I will step off my soapbox and take the flack I'm about to get, but I still don't like the trend.
I don't necessarily hate the addition of characters into the rides. I'm kind of OK with a lot of it. But I can't really argue against what you're saying. I appreciate the nostalgia of the old rides, and I don't see the need to add characters to them. They serve a role and clearly have withstood the test of time if they're still there. But it is what it is. As long as I still get to enjoy Pirates, I'm fine with Captain Jack Sparrow becoming a part of it. But would I like it any less if he wasn't added? No.

Hmmm..... Maybe. I can totally see (and mind you I haven't seen the movie so am no expert!) a huge butterfly garden here. Another aviary, miniature deer? I dunno....??
Or giant dragon things that you plug your dreadlocks into to make it fly?

Or something like that... however it worked.

The Gorge is pretty cool, for sure!! When it's not 39 and raining. Which makes it pretty cool about 4 days a year. ;)
:rotfl2: I usually seemed to get there around June or July so it was usually fairly warm. But it always kind of fascinated me how I could get in the car, drive maybe 10 miles and get out and it would suddenly be cold.

2 words: Portland sucks.
Whew. Glad you don't hate me. I know most people I talk to seem to love Portland and talk about how great of a city it is. Of all the major cities in this country that I've spent time in... well, this is the last one I'd want to return to.

So glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure every resort has its bad days or even seasons; maybe we both just hit a bad time?
I definitely think that's the case. In fact I know it is the case for me. But still, CSR has that stigma with it and I'm not in a rush to go back.

My DISWorld Friends:

Tomorrow is my LAST "regular" exam for THIS YEAR!!!!! party:(I apologize to those who have seen this on FB already!) Mark has already done the honors of making sure I get my usual 88% with the usual meme (which I love by the way) but I'll let you know if pig's leave a contrail above my house tomorrow. Wish me luck, say a little prayer, and do a decent-grade dance if you're so inclined. Make it groovy, and post a video of it if you do.

I may knock off early tonight and "play" here later, but if not, I'll see you on the other side.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter