The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Steppesister

DIS Veteran
A is for: All Aboard!!

Life is too busy to come up with yet another clever little title for a Trip Report Series, so I'm gonna stick with what I, and many of you, know, and go with The ABC's of Trip Reporting- An Alphabetical Approach to Disney Planning. 10 to 1 the Trip Report will be called The ABC's of Trip Reporting- An Alphabetical Approach to Disney Touring. But no guarantees. I have to keep a few things up my sleeve, right?

For those of you who have been around for a while, you know me as All7ofUs. I never liked that screen-name, so recently switched it out for something that represents me a bit better. I'll explain just what that means in a future chapter. Whether you're new to my writings, or an old friend, WELCOME!!! Things can get rather wild around my threads. I'll try to keep sanity, but there are no guarantees. At all.

So, let's get this party started...

Following a dream I've had for more than a decade, I decided to go back to school and pursue a 2nd degree. 3 years ago. At 45 years old. My name is Liesa, and this is my story. I tend to be quite long-winded, as some of my DISFriends already know, so cozy up with your favorite beverage and get comfy. Or just hide your monitor and waste a little more than usual company time. I don't judge.

To begin my tale, I have to take you back, waaaaay back, to 2010, the year our family decided to move back to the US from Crapistan. We had been there almost 10 grueling, but EXTREMELY rewarding, years, and it was time to make a change. I won't bore you with the myriad of details of what led to that decision, but suffice it to say we were ready. As we were bringing clean water to filthy hospitals and schools, hanging out in yurts, and drinking fermented camels' milk, my little spark of interest in becoming an RN grew into a giant fireball of passion.

(For interest's sake here are a few snapshots of our former lives:)

A real yurt. Unlike the romanticized version you have roiling in your head, this one is replete with fleas, animals, cooking grease stink, and dirt floors.

A baby white camel all decked out for Spring Equinox Celebration. They are considered good luck.

Yes, she really is milking a mare. The fermented milk is fantastic.

The unique, creative, and least expensive way to diaper a baby. Yes, that really is what you think it is.

My "baby" in traditional dress...

The local architecture.

Seeing archaic and dangerous medical practice might have had something to do with pursuing that passion as well. Just a guess. I knew, just knew, that that was my calling and (to cut this dramatic re-telling short) I enrolled in our local community college soon after we returned. I had to take 5 terms of pre-requisites to even be eligible to apply to the Nursing Program, and when I did, (drum roll, please) I... didn't get in.

At first I was incredibly bummed out- like “there's not enough lasagna in the entire world to console me” bummed out. But not long after the rejection letter came, my oldest daughter got engaged, and I suddenly put 110% of my heart and soul into planning her wedding. I also got a full time job to pay for said wedding. There was NO WAY on God's green earth I could have gone through a year of nursing school and planned that kind of event. It was massive, and beautiful, and had nearly 300 guests. I'll post a few pictures to share the love, and in case you doubt the hype.

Anyway, in the end, my idea of perfect timing wasn't nearly as good as Someone else's. I applied again, and this time had one of the 3 highest entrance scores of my entering cohort. With new perspective, all was right in my world, and I started in Sept. of 2014- on the road to my Associate of Nursing degree. I wish it was a BSN, but there isn't a program that is within a distance I'm willing to commute to. Maybe I'll do that next with an online bridge program. Meanwhile, here is one of the very few photos I have of me in my student uniform. Hopefully, as the next term progresses I will get a few more.

Also, I realize I have given VERY few details about the trip at all. That is intentional. Patience, my pets. Patience. In conclusion, just a heads up... The next term starts back up on January 5th. I already have the next Chapter written, and will definitely get that one up. But after that, although I do have several more written, my hope is to get one chapter up every couple of weeks. That works with my exams. And well, helps me stretch this story out for a very long time. It also makes it so YOU, my faithful and fantastic readers get to go through all the ups and downs the rest of nursing school will surely bring for me. Are you ready? Fasten your seatbelts. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Next up: B is for: A Big, Beautiful Family ( a super cheesy way of saying, “Introductions”)

Chapter 1: A is for All Aboard!! ^^It's right there^^

KukiLala Makes Her DISDebut!

Chapter 2: B is for Big, Beautiful Family!!

Chapter 3: C is for Care to Meet Me??

Chapter 4: D is for Did I REALLY?!

Chapter 5: E is for Every Year Should Start Like This

Chapter 6: F is for Forever Remembered

Chapter 8: H is for Hey, We're ALL Going to Disney!

Chapter 9: I is for Important Implications Including Impotence

Chapter 10: J is for Just in Case You're Wondering

Chapter 11: K is for Keep on Keepin' On...

Chapter 12: L is for A Little of This, A Little of That

Chapter 13: M is for MORE Mickey Mail

Chapter 14: N is for Not-Too-Terribly-Scary-Party

Chapter 15: O is for Open Your Arms to Me Food and Wine

Chapter 16: P is for Perfectly Pretty Posies

Chapter 17: Q is for Quick Little Update

Chapter 18: R is for Reasons and Reminders

Chapter 19: S is for Saving for Souvenirs

Chapter 20: T is for Taking Time to Learn and Look Forward

Chapter 21: U is for Unbelievable Busy-ness, Unique Tools, and Unfettered Wanderings- Pt. 1- pg. 47

Chapter 22: V is for Vibrant Show and Versatile (Disney) Visa- pg. 49

Chapter 23: W is for: Wishing I Was Doing Something Else- Pt. 1- pg. 52

Chapter 24: W is for: Wishing I Was Doing Something Else- Pt. 2- pg. 52

Chapter 25: X is for: X-ams- pg. 56

Chapter 26: Y is for: Yes, I am Yearning... pg. 57

Chapter 27: Z is for: Zippity Do Dah, My Oh My, What a Wonderful (?) Day- pg. 59

Chapter 28- A is for A Date, A DATE, A VERY Important DATE!!!- pg. 60

Chapter 29: B is for Big, Beautiful (Planning) Books

Chapter 30- C is for: Cowboys, Critters, & Countryside- pg. 66

Chapter 31- D is for Disney Dream Vactaion- pg. 68

Chapter 32- E is for: Emerging Excursions- pg. 70

Chapter 33- F is for: FIRST DAY FUN! pg. 72

TOC Continued in NEXT POST!

Last edited:
Mini Trip Report- Kentucky/Tennessee, August 2-12, 2015; Day 1- pg. 72

Mini Trip Report- Kentucky/Tennessee; Day 2- pg. 73

Chapter 34: F is for First Day Fun; Pt. 2- pg. 74

Mini Trip Report- Kentucky/Tennessee; Day 2, pt. 2- Of Corvettes and Cave-ins; pg. 77

Chapter 35: G is for Gorillas, Gazelles and Going Slow- pg. 77

Mini Trip Report- KY/TN; Day 3, pt. 1- Of Good Eats and Goddesses; pg. 80

Mini Trip Report- KY/TN; Day 3, pt. 2- Of Opulences at the Opry; pg. 83

Chapter 36: I is for: I Don't Know What I Just Did, But I Did It!; pg. 84

Chapter 37: J is for: Just This and That; pg. 85

Mini Trip Report- KY/TN; Days 4-7- Of Pizzas and Pools; pg 88

Mini Trip Report- KY/TN; Days 4-7- Of (No) Oompah pah and Opry, The End; pg. 88

Chapter 38- K is for Keeping the Fun in DHS; pg. 89

Chapter 39- M is for More Merriment Making; pg. 98

Chapter 40- N is for Nahtazu and New Places for You; pg. 99

Chapter 41- O is for Opulent Opportunities for an Off Day- pg. 102

Chapter 42- P is for: A Perfectly Pleasing Permutation- pg. 107

Chapter 43- Q is for: Quirky Tours and Quieting Quaffs- pg. 110

Chapter 44- R is for Re-Allocations Done RIGHT- pg. 113

Chapter 45- S is for Scheduling Our Shuttle and Saying Sentiments

Chapter 46- T is for: Trekking and Tour Tents- pg 119

Chapter 47- U is for: Unveiling Day 9; pg. 125

Chapter 48- V is for Very Happy Endings- pg. 131

Chapter 49- X is for eXtra Little Vacation- pg. 139

Chapter 50- Y is for You Only Live Once- pg. 141

Chapter 51- Z is for Wi Z ards and Zealous Planning- pg. 144 & 145

Chapter 52- A is for: Annoyed Anticipation and (Un) Announced Arrivals- pg. 149

Chapter 52- B is for Birds, Bunnies and Bands- pg. 151

Chapter 53- C is for Central Oregon Beauty- pg. 153

Chapter 54- D is for Definitive Dining Plans and Travel Developments- pg. 154

Chapter 57- G is for Good Times at Grand Gatherings; pg. 167

Chapter 58- H is for Have Costume, Will Party; pg. 171

Chapter 59- I is for I have a (Food) Dream- Pt. 1; pg. 174

Chapter 60-I is for I have a (Food) Dream- Pt. 2; pg. 175

Chapter 61- I is for I have a (Food) Dream- Pt. 3; pg. 175

Chapter 62- I is for I have a (Food) Dream- Pt. 4; pg. 176

Chapter 63- I is for I have a (Food) Dream- Pt. 5; pg. 177

Chapter 64- J is for JUST GRADUATED!- pg. 180

Chapter 65- K is for Keeping Things a Little Kooky Drinks A-C; pg. 182

Chapter 66 - Keeping It Kooky- Drinks D-H; pg. 186

Chapter 67- Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks I-M; pg. 190

Chapter 68- L is for: Last Leg is Purchased; pg. 194

Chapter 69- K is for Keepin' Things Kooky- Drinks P-U; pg 196

Chapter 70- K is for Keepin' Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197

Last edited:

I'm in! Very thankful that you finally have the chance to plan another trip! It's been too long.

Oh, and fermented camel's milk....

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

You did it! You got me back on the Dis! :lmao:

I knew it would take terrific arm twisting. ;) I mean seriously, don't make me come back there and thump you on the head!! :laughing:

So glad you're back as well; it's bee WAY too long since we've all been together here!

Who me? How did you know? I can't wait to read more!

Haha, there's more than a few of us who just simply must have their fixes- one way or another. :lmao:;)

So great to have you aboard! Settle on in, and never, EVER be afraid to chatter along with us!!

I'm in! Very thankful that you finally have the chance to plan another trip! It's been too long.

Oh, and fermented camel's milk....

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Yay for the Captain! Oblivious or not. Let's hope this isn't a sinking ship. :worried::laughing:

And what better way to start this party off with a slobbering Homer??!! You know me way too well....:lmao:

I have you moved.
Your link is not working yet on the 2nd page. I don't know if you forgot to hyper-link it.
Wow, you have lived an adventure-ious life.
My dd is getting married in April-and I am so sad she lives so far from me. I would love to be in the planning stages, but it is just too hard being so far away.

Okay...back as promised and have read the first installment.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. 300 people!!! That is a lot (although my son and daughter-in-law had 400 at their wedding :faint:). The wedding pictures are beautiful.

And congrats on going back to school. That is awesome.

I have you moved.
Your link is not working yet on the 2nd page. I don't know if you forgot to hyper-link it.
Wow, you have lived an adventure-ious life.
My dd is getting married in April-and I am so sad she lives so far from me. I would love to be in the planning stages, but it is just too hard being so far away.

THANKS, Mari! I appreciate it! That's what happens when A) You're all jacked up and excited about pulling the trigger on a new thread and B) It's been a long time since you've posted like this and are out of practice!

I didn't link that first one since the post was so close, but maybe I should just to practice how to do it! :sad1: Honestly, I'm not even sure I will be able to figure it out how... Hints??

We have traveled to many amazing places in the world! My favorite so far was Thailand, where my youngest daughter was born. But after that, maybe Nurenberg, Germany where I got to meet flossbolna (a DISser). Great place to visit and tour!

It was so great and such an honor to be the primary planner for my DD's wedding! Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone into event planning instead of nursing! If you get a chance I would definitely travel to be even a small part of your DD's planning. The memories you'll make will totally be worth it!!

Okay...back as promised and have read the first installment.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. 300 people!!! That is a lot (although my son and daughter-in-law had 400 at their wedding :faint:). The wedding pictures are beautiful.

And congrats on going back to school. That is awesome.

Thanks, Kathy!!! That was fast!

It was a lovely outdoor/garden wedding. We'd have invited more, but the venue limited us to 300. It's hard to find places that can accommodate more!!

Thanks, I am hoping that in addition to sharing my planning adventures, I can also count on you all to cheer me on with each exam and assessment. I figure if the whole trip is celebrating the triumphs of doing this school thing, then you all should be part of it!! :cheer2::cheer2:

I so rarely check the WDW Trip Report any more. And I have no idea what made me click on it today while I am waiting for a batch of Christmas cookies to be baked in the oven. But now I am here!

I loved the introduction as it helped me catch up with what has happened in your life in the past years! I am so happy to see you back here on the DIS, you were truly missed!

What a wonderful wedding! I would be far too scared of the weather to ever plan an outdoor wedding (unless it were in Hawaii or so), but it seemed to work perfectly? Was it at your own garden?

They look like such a happy couple!

And I am not sure that I ever were aware that you are just two years older than me - it seems like you have experienced so much more in your life than I me! But I am happy that you finally got into your program and are happy with it! I am sure you will be a wonderful nurse!

I so rarely check the WDW Trip Report any more. And I have no idea what made me click on it today while I am waiting for a batch of Christmas cookies to be baked in the oven. But now I am here!

I loved the introduction as it helped me catch up with what has happened in your life in the past years! I am so happy to see you back here on the DIS, you were truly missed!

What a wonderful wedding! I would be far too scared of the weather to ever plan an outdoor wedding (unless it were in Hawaii or so), but it seemed to work perfectly? Was it at your own garden?

They look like such a happy couple!

And I am not sure that I ever were aware that you are just two years older than me - it seems like you have experienced so much more in your life than I me! But I am happy that you finally got into your program and are happy with it! I am sure you will be a wonderful nurse!

It was meant to be!! And I think your ears were ringing because I JUST mentioned you in a comment above to OhMari! ^^see up there? ;) I was saying that visiting Nurenberg and YOU was one of the best and funnest places I've visited.

It was a great turnout- weather-wise. In fact, if anything, it was too hot- almost 40 C. :crazy2::beach: It was not my own, but rather here:

http://www.historicdeepwoodestate.org/

I am almost 50. :scared: But I keep telling my kids I"m going to die with my hands in the air on a coaster. I am young at heart, and am blessed to have pretty good health right now to enjoy life and I can.

Overall, it's a great program. WAY more time intensive than I EVER imagined, but it'll all be worth it in the end. That said, I am *hoping* to get updates up a couple times a month, but hey, I do have the time. :lmao:

It was meant to be!! And I think your ears were ringing because I JUST mentioned you in a comment above to OhMari! ^^see up there? ;) I was saying that visiting Nurenberg and YOU was one of the best and funnest places I've visited.

It was a great turnout- weather-wise. In fact, if anything, it was too hot- almost 40 C. :crazy2::beach: It was not my own, but rather here:

http://www.historicdeepwoodestate.org/

I am almost 50. :scared: But I keep telling my kids I"m going to die with my hands in the air on a coaster. I am young at heart, and am blessed to have pretty good health right now to enjoy life and I can.

Overall, it's a great program. WAY more time intensive than I EVER imagined, but it'll all be worth it in the end. That said, I am *hoping* to get updates up a couple times a month, but hey, I do have the time. :lmao:

I saw the comment about Nuremberg! :goodvibes I just think it has such a profound impression on you because it was such a different experience - both from where you were coming from as well as to where you were going. Kind of combining the exotic charm with the modern amenities. :goodvibes

My parents still cherish that piece from the yurt you gave them, it sits on that small shelf and when I vist my parents for tea on Sunday (our regular weekly meet), the teapot sits on top of it.

What a pretty wedding location! And 40 C (thanks for giving me the C number!) is very hot! And I thought you lived in a corner of the US that is always grey and cold... don't worry, I still plan to make my way to the Northwest US at some point!

I hope we will get some news on how the rest of your family is doing as well!

And no way is 45 "nearly 50" you wouldn't agree with a teenager who is 16 arguing that he is "nearly 21" either?;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter