The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

You're blushing.

That's just the Canadian cold wind making that happen.

And yes, I agree, someplace REALLY out of the way would be amazing! Like Fiji or Bali, but I'd go to W. Africa first and dance to drums and pound corn to the beat. And yes, Italy, if I had to pick Europe would be at the top of my list, but southern to be exact. I'd start in Germany though, and take off from there. Capri was so freaking amazing! I want to photograph the Italian countryside!

I've been to Germany often enough now that I'd start in Austria... or better yet, Switzerland.

We did 100% paper/plastic stuff and I only had a couple of mixing bowls and a spoon and cups to do for dishes each evening. It wasn't too bad, but even the work for those was a hassle.

So not many dishes... then get someone else to do them!!!

:sad2:

I am working almost 45 hours a week and doing nothing of the aformentioned.

Whoa. This does not sound even close to part-timeish.

The saddest victim of the "you got a job" tragedy is DISing.

Something's got to give.

I am up at 4:00 AM everyday and am utterly exhausted by 8:00 PM and can hardly keep my eyes open.

You sound just like my DW.
She does those exact same hours.

I am just NOT a morning person, and never will be.

Morning people are.... weird.

I AM reading, but again, with so few evening hours (I often don't get home until 5:00 because of errands after work), I need to spend it with my family. I think most of you get that.

I get that.

The other factor is that while I can read during my lunch, it's just too cumbersome to reply on my phone. Notta gonna do it.

And I get that, too.

And they stink.

:lmao:

They are in the middle of the process of being wethered and smell like necrotic dead flesh. Look it up.

Don't need to. Know the term. And.... ew.

The good news is that I have 10 days of vacation coming up very soon. Sunday in fact, I'm leaving for Bowling Green, KY and Nashville. If ANYONE wants to hang out for a spell, let me know!!!

Wish I could, but unfortunately I'll have to pass on that.

This summer has seriously NOT gone how I'd hoped.

But you passed the boards and got the job...this is good, right?

The saddest victim of the "you got a job" tragedy is DISing.

Well, it happens.

I AM reading, but again, with so few evening hours (I often don't get home until 5:00 because of errands after work), I need to spend it with my family. I think most of you get that.

Let's see...spend time taking care of those closest to you or spending it with people you've never met? Yeah, I can get that.:rotfl2:

They are in the middle of the process of being wethered and smell like necrotic dead flesh. Look it up.

Ew.

The good news is that I have 10 days of vacation coming up very soon. Sunday in fact, I'm leaving for Bowling Green, KY and Nashville.

Yay! I'm glad you have that break to look forward to. Hope it's a great time!

Also, we have plans to hit up some fun sights in the Nashville area, so there's a mini- TR to look forward to as well.

I don't know much about the area, so I'll be looking forward to it!

Liesa, I am sorry that your summer is not as leisurely as you expected. But at least you will be much closer to the Dream Vacation next year financially! Hang in there!

And I loved to hear that your future plans of travel of Europe would bring you back to Germany! :goodvibes

Also, we got our 2 little goats and it's like having toddlers again. Except they are very stubborn, not very cooperative toddlers. And they stink. They are in the middle of the process of being wethered and smell like necrotic dead flesh. Look it up.

I think I'll pass lol. But this concept of having goats....is just so foreign lol I find it intriguing.

You have certainly been busy!! I totally know what you mean though. I had similar plans for getting a lot accomplished in July while my kids were occupied with day camp every day...and I don't know if I got any of it crossed off my list...stuff just kept coming up...sigh. So glad you have some downtime coming up soon...you need it!

That scrub top is adorable! How fun that you can wear that to work. It seems that most of the hospitals here have gone to required scrubs, so that would be out. But I love it and I want one!

Yay for earning some $$$ this summer and for buying three of your park tickets. That must feel awesome!

Glad your summer is going so well! :goodvibes

Hello!!! And welcome here. A place to hang out and enjoy the waiting for Disney-related stuff. (More on that in a bit.)

You read just as much as your little ol' heart desires. I confess, lately I only have time to hit the highlights as well. It's tough to do as much as one would like around here. But your presence is very welcome and I'm glad you are here to join in my journey. It's like taking a back country road on your way to the big city for the opera. Or something like that.

I have read some of Ann Marie's stuff and love it. Glad you found a connection through her! :) Wouldn't it just be ubercool if our trips coincided?!? There are several parties already hooking up for some night's/days out and Meets. Do keep me posted on your dates as it gets closer! We'll make sure to have you in on the loop for stuff! Yeehaw Bob, Trader Sam's, a pool time, etc... are all shaping up to work out for many of us.

I will definitely let you know more for sure dates! It will depend on Ann's race or lack there of depending on what's released for next fall. If there isn't a race it opens up wayyyyy more options than the week before wine and dine... Because we have to do a MNSSHP. Because that's the only reason DF is along for the ride since they are closing Disney Quest!

I'm completely up for meet and greets and so is Ann! We've done quite a few over the years! We met as we planned 2011 trips. We had a Dismeet then, then planned a trip that we went on in fall of 13 just her, me, and my mom. I never knew I would meet my best friend on the disboards!

Random question, but what size scrub top do you wear? I have a Disney top that I wore for massage therapy that I loved... But I will hopefully not be going back into that field, nor does it fit anymore. Id love to pay it forward if it would fit!

Just checking in when I can too!! I don't have the time or the energy to do much in the evenings anymore , and usually hit the sack as soon as I get hime , not to sleep but just to unwind and not THINK!!! No smart remarks Mr Marv!!!:snooty::rotfl2:

Just checking in when I can too!! I don't have the time or the energy to do much in the evenings anymore , and usually hit the sack as soon as I get hime , not to sleep but just to unwind and not THINK!!! No smart remarks Mr Marv!!!:snooty::rotfl2:

I am being unfairly picked upon!!
I protest!
I... uh....

Yeah, I guess that was a fair point.

Nevermind.

E is for: Emerging Excursions

From 30,000 ft. up above the clouds, somewhere over Central Nevada, I bring you the first of a series. Finally, you say, there might actually be some Disney substance to this pre-trip report! But, as is my style, and out of the neccessity of dragging this out for a whole year longer, I'll take my time and saunter my way through the...

Preliminary Itinerary

A few caveats:

All of this is highly likely to be tweaked, changed, refined, or even completely revamped at any point in time. Disney seems to like to close stuff, remove stuff, add stuff, and generally cause mayhem for one's plans.

I also reserve the right to add or delete stuff according to your imput, suggestions, criticisms, and any DISMeets that fall into place as the trip gets closer.

Day 1- Travel Day

As one of my smart-donkey readers pointed out not too long ago (you know who you are... ;) ), the best place to start is “at the beginning”. So, there we shall begin- the beginning. I could mouth off and start you off with arising in the morning and walking you through the process of making a morning latte, which is where all good trips actually begin, but instead I'll bring you the mental images of me and my little family (sans Mike) piling in the SUV to make our trek to PDX- the airport with the coolest airport carpet in the country. It's so cool that they make t-shirts and keychains with the cult-classic floor covering.

After I drink that morning latte on the way to the airport (because one must begin a good trip that way), and if all goes according to plan, we'll pile out with our several bags (and why wouldn't we if we're flying Southwest, where the 1st two bags are free, AND Disney takes care of them from there?). We've had pretty good luck with check-ins most of the time. Although that brings back traumatic memories of some not-so-awesome check-ins. The one where our travel agent messed up some tickets and half of the family VERY nearly got stranded in Dulles, and I was left to almost have to travel on alone with 3 really young kids on 3 long-haul, overseas flights comes to mind. It was all sorted out with 5, I kid you not, minutes to spare. I'd have done it, but I know it would have taken years off my life. Or like the time we had to spend the night on the Crapistani Border during the night of a coup surrounded by automatic-weapon toting doofus guards and drunk mental cases lighting grasshoppers on fire for fun. I digress. This trip should be a piece of cake.

A flight arriving in Orlando anytime before 4:00PM is unheard of from the PNW (unless you Red Eye it like @eandesmom. After just laying out that option with NariLoo, we'll consider this as an option...), so the best we can do on travel day is ride the fake monorail, then Magical Express (praying one is ready as we walk up) to our as-yet-to-be-determined Resort, take the requisite, blurry welcome sign photo, check-in, freshen up and head out. But where? Well, that is the all-important question. Yes, that was a very good example of a very nasty run-on sentence in case you were wondering.

In all the times I've been to WDW, without exception, we've started our trips at DTD. I think I've mentioned before that we really aren't big shoppers. We do browse, but typically don't buy much. So, instead, we'll eat first and browse if we feel like it. I'll probably either A) make a reservation at Fultons or Raglan Rd. or B) have a less expensive meal at Earl or WPs. I've heard some pretty good things about Raglan, but I'm not sure I want to shell out that kind of dough right off the bat. It could work out that we get the cheaper, but no less tasty, meal at the CS place, then get a nice dessert at the Raglan (can you say bread pudding?) or Ghiradelli.

The shops I do want to browse a bit are WoD for a new pin or two, the bath shop for a couple of bath bombs for relaxing soaks during the week, the Christmas Shoppe, and the Lego Store is a definite must. That area always affords some really great pictures. There are several Hidden Mickeys scattered around the DTD area, so we'll see if we can scavenger some of those up. Definitely not a focus of the evening, but it's always fun to find a few along the way.

I'm hoping we can get our tired little hineys to bed by 10:00, but the exicitement of being “in the bubble” may make having that kind of self discipline a bit hard. I'm always tempted to go on late night walks to get some more photos and just soak it all in. The kids may insist on a late night swim, and I'm sure I'd cave if they asked. Always tough getting a good night's sleep in the first night away from home anyway. So we'll just kind of try our best to dream long, happy, Disney dreams and wake up to the voice of a random Disney character on the other end of the wake up call.

E photos. Just to keep track of where we're at: (you DO know where all of these were taken, right...?)

Last edited:
The one where our travel agent messed up some tickets and half of the family VERY nearly got stranded in Dulles, and I was left to almost have to travel on alone with 3 really young kids on 3 long-haul, overseas flights comes to mind. It was all sorted out with 5, I kid you not, minutes to spare. I'd have done it, but I know it would have taken years off my life. Or like the time we had to spend the night on the Crapistani Border during the night of a coup surrounded by automatic-weapon toting doofus guards and drunk mental cases lighting grasshoppers on fire for fun. I digress. This trip should be a piece of cake.

I would suspect the likelihood of being surrounded by automatic-weapon totoing doofus guards would be less... not zero, but less... on the way to MCO.

A flight arriving in Orlando anytime before 4:00PM is unheard of from the PNW

Or from Central Canada.
We should touch down around 11:30pm

the bath shop for a couple of bath bombs for relaxing soaks during the week,

Don't mention those to airport security, or the aforementioned guards will make their presence known.

I'm hoping we can get our tired little hineys to bed by 10:00,

I suspect we won't have that problem.

Okay I am only at the beginning of your PTR, still so much catching up to do. I am so so excited to read the rest!! I just graduated my RN program and took the NCLEX. Like I said, I still need to catch up on your report so I'm not sure where you're at in your school timeline but, you go girllll!! It is so all consuming (literally.. I have about 30lbs of nursing school weigh to lose from all the consuming.. ha! See what I did there?! Moving on...) but you can do it, and you will be so happy you did!!
Sorry if this comment is irrelevant since I'm so late to the party. Back to catching up :surfweb:

Okay I am only at the beginning of your PTR, still so much catching up to do. I am so so excited to read the rest!! I just graduated my RN program and took the NCLEX. Like I said, I still need to catch up on your report so I'm not sure where you're at in your school timeline but, you go girllll!! It is so all consuming (literally.. I have about 30lbs of nursing school weigh to lose from all the consuming.. ha! See what I did there?! Moving on...) but you can do it, and you will be so happy you did!!
Sorry if this comment is irrelevant since I'm so late to the party. Back to catching up :surfweb:

I absolutely LOVE that you are here and that I have the support and "interest" of other nurses who are willing to cheer me on as I finish another grueling year of school. At 48 it's a bit of a tough ride. I am trying to spend the evening catching up on threads that I"ve neglected terribly over the last several weeks due to the new job (as an LPN), but will be getting to REAL replies hopefully tomorrow night.

So... you're real welcome and comments are pending. For now, glad you're here! :hug:

Is that the Explorer's club? Sadly, I never visited there before it went bye-bye.

Don't feel bad about late arrivals. I fly from the East coast at night and always get there at bed time. since I can never seem to take an extra day off from work, I just leave right after work. Even this next trip is an evening flight because by the time I could book it all the earlier, cheaper flights were GONE!

The good news, you got a job. The bad news, you have to go to work every day.

Yep, I'm right there with you. I've been in this situation a lot lately. Been popping in and reading on the phone and then hoping to remember to reply later.

Well, don't complain about it. You should have just got them a few weeks later. :rotfl2:

Sounds like fun! I'm only about 4 - 5 hours away... but I don't believe I'll be making it down for a DIS meet. Have a great time. I really love Nashville. I'm not really a big fan of larger cities, but I never mind spending some time in Nashville.

How true that is! I do like my job- won't say I "LOVE" it, but it is great for the summer and by the end I'll have made enough for all 3 terms of tuition. Now, anything I make from any shifts I pick up during the school year or over Christmas break and then again from August-October will go straight to the trip. For that I'm grateful. As for the job, I am absolutely positive I don't want to work in the Long Term Care world. It tends to be more psychosocial nursing rather than taking care of medical needs. I admit it, I'm an adrenaline junkie and do enjoy the occasional rush of getting something that makes me really think and use quick action.... like the ICU or ER.

I spent a LOT of last evening right here and got several threads looked over. It made me all the more excited to plan! So much better than phone surfing the DIS.

So far we're having a wonderful time just hanging out with family. On the surface one might ask me why I came all the way to Bowling Green to sit in a Starbucks. I just don't get to see my family nearly often enough... I'll come to Kentucky to sit in a Starbucks anyday to sit and just talk, thanks!

You and I may have to talk!!
Aaaaannnd ...

Are your dates firmed up now? Rob, the Trips and I are joining his cousin's family at their DVC at Boardwalk in November. It looks like our dates will be November 10 - 17, 2016 (give or take a day). 2016 was SUPPOSED to be a "just the two of us" Adults-do-the-Dis experience, however, when one (or 5) is asked to join others and have the accommodations taken care of (ie: FREE ACCOMMODATIONS), one (or all)
DO NOT SAY
" thanks, but nahhhhhhhhhhhh"

One (and each and every one of us) tries to come up with ways to bleed turnips for the $$$ to pay for the food (and Vino? Last days of F&W?!) and tickets!!!

Yeah, they sorta are... I mean no, we don't have any tickets or resort ressies, but that is what I"m shooting for so I can get BOTH the MNSSHP and F&W. Some others are already planning as well and have arranged vacation/conferences around those dates so I will do my absolute very best to stick with that. :) Sure yours aren't flexible...????? Cuz another Meet would be pretty darned fun judging from the last time we made mayhem in DC! ;)

That's just the Canadian cold wind making that happen.

Are you sure it wasn't a pre-flight face plant in a snowbank?

I've been to Germany often enough now that I'd start in Austria... or better yet, Switzerland.

Both of those sound awesome as well. I just had a friend I grew up with spend a couple weeks in Switzerland and the photos she was posting were just beautiful! But I have great friends in Germany that I'm dying to see again. Maybe I'd get a private tour guide to Austria and Switzerland if I started in Germany and picked her up first.... (@Flossbolna)

So not many dishes... then get someone else to do them!!!

Sadly, I'd have to wait until there were twice as many for them to actually get done, and I'd have to see them sit there all day. Nah...

Whoa. This does not sound even close to part-timeish.

Yes, 42 hours the first week, and somewhere just over 40 the second. I know that because I am now obsessively doing the math to estimate my paychecks. (I'm not even sure why I do that because every time I did in my last job I was so horrified to see my check be like 25% less than I thought it'd be. Every time. I think 70% coming out for taxes is maybe hoping too much for sanity in our tax structure, but that's another conversation altogether.)

You sound just like my DW.
She does those exact same hours.

It really stinks getting up so early. I hate coming home and pretty much just going straight to bed. :( I have better/funner things to do, but can't stay awake to do them!

Morning people are.... weird.

Preach it, Brother!

Don't need to. Know the term. And.... ew.

Triple Ewww!! I *think* we are almost done. The sooner those things are gone, the better! :scared1::crazy2:

Wish I could, but unfortunately I'll have to pass on that.

Bummer!

I'm glad you are getting a "real" vacation. I've never been to Nashville, but our oldest (Andy) has and he LOVES it.

Me too! I really love it here. If I had my choice, I'd definitely move here, but I think that isn't ever going to happen. :( But I do enjoy my time here nonetheless! I am planning to spend more time here once I get to working a regular job, though.

Liesa, I am sorry that your summer is not as leisurely as you expected. But at least you will be much closer to the Dream Vacation next year financially! Hang in there!

And I loved to hear that your future plans of travel of Europe would bring you back to Germany! :goodvibes

Totally true, Magdalene! I really struggle with keeping that perspective every single time I wake up in the dark and slog my way to work. Don't get me wrong, I do like my job but it's hard knowing that all the other things I wanted to do will yet be left undone come September.

Yes! I do want to head back to Europe, and all the sick kids who were with us want a do-over. So who knows, maybe in a few years will be back there to do what we couldn't (like really truly enjoy your mom's good cooking!).

I think I'll pass lol. But this concept of having goats....is just so foreign lol I find it intriguing.

You have certainly been busy!! I totally know what you mean though. I had similar plans for getting a lot accomplished in July while my kids were occupied with day camp every day...and I don't know if I got any of it crossed off my list...stuff just kept coming up...sigh. So glad you have some downtime coming up soon...you need it!

It is a lot of work! Especially at the beginning! But things are evening out, and they are getting to know and trust us more each day. Anara has really stepped up to the plate and whereas on that first day she was in tears and HATED them with a passion, on the way here in the plane, she told me she missed them already. So, there ya have it. I'm just excited to have them eat copious amounts of brush!

Yes, we are thoroughly enjoying our vacation immensely so far! I love just being with my family and talking. We have plans today to hit up "Kentucky Down Under" (an Australian-themed little zoo like place) and the Corvette Museum and Factory. Should be a great day!!

Yeah, they sorta are... I mean no, we don't have any tickets or resort ressies, but that is what I"m shooting for so I can get BOTH the MNSSHP and F&W. Some others are already planning as well and have arranged vacation/conferences around those dates so I will do my absolute very best to stick with that. :) Sure yours aren't flexible...????? Cuz another Meet would be pretty darned fun judging from the last time we made mayhem in DC! ;)[/QUOTE]

:confused3 Unfortunately they aren't flexible but by a day or two as we are a guest of Rob's cousin and his wife -- her work schedule is tougher to travel at the beginning of the month so middle works best AND Rob and I are trying to sneak in on F&W :teeth: + seeing some Christmas-y pixiedust:stuff too! Ding dangit :headache:

Hi Friends, slowly making my way through replies (I'm not necessarily even going in order if you've noticed) and will be back tonight to finish up. I'm taking some fun photos of our little vacation and will be doing a little mini-report of my Nottadisneytrip in the next weeks as well. Of course, I'll have another installment of the Preliminary Itinerary as well sometime soon.

Now.... for those of you who would like to, tell me where each of those photos was taken in the last Chapter. @MEK, no, not Adventurer's Club. Remember, they all have something to do with 'E' in some way. (Not necessarily the attraction name, though) But do tell me either the place or attraction....

We did the overnight to WDW from PDX last year. We won't be doing that ever again. We got no sleep. We did get there super early and made it to DHS pretty much at opening. But we were so tired. At least, we were able to fall asleep at a reasonable time. It usually is hard for us to fall asleep because it is only 7 or 8 pm at home. I always tell myself, next time I will save enough money to pay for a direct flight. Not sure if it is worth it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter