The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Just got myself a job of Charge Nurse at a REALLY wonderful Skilled Care/Long Term Care Facility. No big deal. ;)
So, here are the deets:

This is a beautiful place that I spent my Winter Term at. Basically, I will have 14-18 patients under my care during a shift, as well as supervising 2-3 CNAs. It will be my job to make sure they get all of their medications on time (and the right ones, right dose, right route, etc...), manage any treatments they might need like IV fluids, trach or NG feeding tube care, catheter care, wound care, etc... I'll have to call the PCP and/or families should the need arise, and just generally monitor their conditions.

When I walked in the other LPNs recognized me and gave me hugs and high fives when I told them I was hired. :) Other than 1 nurse, they were all very nice and so helpful. I'll have to keep my eye on that one, who was verbally hating on us students. I actually had to talk to the DON about her once already while a student. But that's a bridge I"ll cross later if I have to.

Anyway, you may be wondering just what this has to do with a Disney trip. In case you missed it earlier, The Grumps insists on this trip being mostly if not completely paid for by the time we go. That is only going to happen one way- by a buttload of hard work and hours this summer and next. And maybe even a little during the school year. We shall see.... This of course is on top of paying off any school debt. Next year will cost $4,500 minimum. But this, Friends puts me a fair bit closer!

Last edited:
Just go myself a job of Charge Nurse at a REALLY wonderful Skilled Care/Long Term Care Facility. No big deal. ;)

Way to go!!! Congrats!

as well as supervising 2-3 CNAs.

Ummm.... what's a CNA?

It will be my job to make sure they get all of their medications on time (and the right ones, right dose, right route, etc...),

As long as there are no enemas needed.
Rumour has it you get those wrong.

When I walked in the other LPNs recognized me and gave me hugs and high fives when I told them I was hired.

:goodvibes

I actually had to talk to the DON about her once already while a student.

She sounds like a real prize.... not.

But this, Friends puts me a fair bit closer!

Woot!

Way to go!!! Congrats!

Why thanks! I was sad at first I didn't get the first job, but this one pays just as much, and I already know the computer system. WOOT!

Ummm.... what's a CNA?

CNA= Certified Nursing Assistant. They are the true unsung heroes of Assisted/LongTerm/Skilled Care Facilities!

As long as there are no enemas needed.
Rumour has it you get those wrong.[/rQUOTE]

For you, I'd make sure to do it "right".

She sounds like a real prize.... not.

She scares me.

Finally catching up! I know I told you on FB but congrats on your A and getting hired at your job! You will do great on the boards.

Hopefully I can coordinate dates with your trip! It's 2017, correct?

Jill in CO

Just got myself a job of Charge Nurse at a REALLY wonderful Skilled Care/Long Term Care Facility. No big deal. ;)
So, here are the deets:

This is a beautiful place that I spent my Winter Term at. Basically, I will have 14-18 patients under my care during a shift, as well as supervising 2-3 CNAs. It will be my job to make sure they get all of their medications on time (and the right ones, right dose, right route, etc...), manage any treatments they might need like IV fluids, trach or NG feeding tube care, catheter care, wound care, etc... I'll have to call the PCP and/or families should the need arise, and just generally monitor their conditions.

When I walked in the other LPNs recognized me and gave me hugs and high fives when I told them I was hired. :) Other than 1 nurse, they were all very nice and so helpful. I'll have to keep my eye on that one, who was verbally hating on us students. I actually had to talk to the DON about her once already while a student. But that's a bridge I"ll cross later if I have to.

Anyway, you may be wondering just what this has to do with a Disney trip. In case you missed it earlier, The Grumps insists on this trip being mostly if not completely paid for by the time we go. That is only going to happen one way- by a buttload of hard work and hours this summer and next. And maybe even a little during the school year. We shall see.... This of course is on top of paying off any school debt. Next year will cost $4,500 minimum. But this, Friends puts me a fair bit closer!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana::banana::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::dancer::dancer::dancer::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: awesome news my friend.

Congratulations!!!!!

When I walked in the other LPNs recognized me and gave me hugs and high fives when I told them I was hired. :) Other than 1 nurse, they were all very nice and so helpful. I'll have to keep my eye on that one, who was verbally hating on us students.
Sounds like a wonderful person. :sad2:

I know this has to be a relief to get some income flowing both towards the school budget and the trip budget!

Finally catching up! I know I told you on FB but congrats on your A and getting hired at your job! You will do great on the boards.

Hopefully I can coordinate dates with your trip! It's 2017, correct?

Jill in CO

Thanks, again, Jill!! It's great to be making progress! I am taking the majority of today to study, and when I finally can schedule my test date, I'll pick up the pace to a few days a week. I worked on brushing up on medications the other day, and OY! It was like learning them all over again. :( I think until I actually start using this stuff daily, it's going to be tough to make it stick.

No, 2016!! Coming up in about a year and a half, actually less now. WOOT! I would LOVE for you to be able to join us! It'll be fun to plan some fun stuff together- a few rides, a few drinks, a meal or 2, some pool time... the skies the limit.

By the way, speaking of Meets... how was/is your Meet with Mark, et al?? Looks like they're having a fabulous time!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana::banana::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::dancer::dancer::dancer::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: awesome news my friend.

Thanks, Kathy! You always bring the party!
Congratulations!!!!!

Sounds like a wonderful person. :sad2:

I know this has to be a relief to get some income flowing both towards the school budget and the trip budget!

Thanks, and NO, she's not. Her face is just sour, and her words are like acid. Hopefully I won't have to work on her wing very often.
It certainly is! I just had to put Summer Term's Internship on credit, adding insult to the injury of Fall Term's bill. :( Boooooo! But hopefully, come August, I can pay all that off!

Ok, 2016...let me see if I can swing it. Fingers crossed I will be having a Dis meet in Australia next year so I have to work the budget.

The Denver Dismeet was awesome! I love Mark and his family! They are the nicest people you'll ever meet and their kids are great! And who wouldn't love Baby Drew?

Jill in CO

Ok, 2016...let me see if I can swing it. Fingers crossed I will be having a Dis meet in Australia next year so I have to work the budget.

The Denver Dismeet was awesome! I love Mark and his family! They are the nicest people you'll ever meet and their kids are great! And who wouldn't love Baby Drew?

Jill in CO

How cool would that be?!

AUSTRALIA?! Oh my word, how completely awesome! I have always wanted to go there, but so darned far out of the way. Africa first, then The Land Down Under.... Take a TON of pix, pretty please! I know, you could just fly back through Florida. ;)

They are super nice (not having ever met them) and hilarious to boot. And Baby Drew... well.... it just doesn't get any cuter, does it?

How cool would that be?!

AUSTRALIA?! Oh my word, how completely awesome! I have always wanted to go there, but so darned far out of the way. Africa first, then The Land Down Under.... Take a TON of pix, pretty please! I know, you could just fly back through Florida. ;)

They are super nice (not having ever met them) and hilarious to boot. And Baby Drew... well.... it just doesn't get any cuter, does it?

Africa is on my list too but I already marked it off my person 7 continent challenge. ;) I visited Tunisia in 2010. Trust me, there will lots of pictures!

Jill in CO

Africa is on my list too but I already marked it off my person 7 continent challenge. ;) I visited Tunisia in 2010. Trust me, there will lots of pictures!

Jill in CO

Haha, funny! Tunisia is the only place I've been to in Africa as well. I would love to go to W. Africa though; I want to see the traditional costuming, dance to drums, worship in an outdoor church service with my African brothers and sisters (sorry to go all religious-y on you there), eat mafe and other yummies our friends who lived in Senegal talked about, and see the animals. Ahhhh.... someday.

Coming out of lurkdom to say congrats on the summer job!

Well, hello there!! And a warm and heartfelt :welcome: to you, New Friend! It's great to have a few more join our little place of party here! Do pop in and say hello; I guarantee replies every time, and silliness as often as possible. Thanks for your congrats; I sure hope I can take these Boards ASAP so I can get started!

Liesa, congratulations on getting the job!! Well done! Hope it turns out to be a great summer working there. And I hope that you can get some great experiences that will help you during the next year!

Congrats on the job!! That's so exciting!! But pardon my ignorance here...I'm so confused...I thought you still had more school before you would be nurse? So how can you now get a job as a charge nurse? I don't get it!!

Liesa, congratulations on getting the job!! Well done! Hope it turns out to be a great summer working there. And I hope that you can get some great experiences that will help you during the next year!

Thanks, Magdalene! It looks like a good fit for summer work, and beyond if it works out. I'm sure just the training alone I'll get will go a long ways in helping me be better prepared for next year.

Congrats on the job!! That's so exciting!! But pardon my ignorance here...I'm so confused...I thought you still had more school before you would be nurse? So how can you now get a job as a charge nurse? I don't get it!!

I do still have (at least!) another year of school. The way it works is that after the 1st year of Nursing School (not all school offer this) you can apply for an LPN license. That stands for Licensed Practical Nurse. They can pass meds, do IVs, all trach and catheter stuff, etc... but are unlicensed to do things like Patient-Controlled Analgesia pumps, develop Care Plans, and other skills that require more training. This is a first step. Most students do not take this intermediate step and go straight for either 2 or 4 years getting their RN (either a Bachelors or Associates degree). But I know I"ll more than recoup the $400 it is costing me to get this license. Then, God forbid!, I fail out next year, I"ll still have this license to fall back on.

Many long-term care facilities do use LPNs, which can also get their schooling through a "technical school" rather than a college or univerisity, to be charge nurses. The RNs at those places develop the client care plans and are there if more complicated situations arise. Does that make more sense??

Hi Leisa! I'm finally caught up. Let's see..

Glad Zach did not have a broken shoulder and his wrist is on the mend
Congrats on your graduation and all the A'S :worship:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 26 YEARS IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT FOR SURE!
Congrats on the job! party::dance3::dancer::dancer::dancer:

We are getting pretty set on a 4 day Dream and 3 days at a resort in Sep 2016. Our cruise at this time will be on points. Your dates would hit around our 36th Anniversary so that would be good. I was looking at the last week in September for the cruise because of hoping for free dining if we went a bit later. We also want to hit F&W for a day. I will have to look at the calendar again! It would be so great to see a DIS bunch :banana::banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter