• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Leisa, I'm sorry to hear about your son. :( I am sure all will turn out for the best for him.

We've done the Not-so-scary party twice. Personally, we won't do it again...they oversell it. But I think everyone should do it at least once.

Oh man, so sorry to read about what's going on with your son. I hope everything works out for him in a way that makes him happy and a way that you and his dad can not worry over too much. :hug:

Congrats on the A!! :cool1:

Love the baby pic and hope that little family is doing okay. :flower3:

We thoroughly enjoyed MNSSHP when we went- I love the short wait times and since I'm a night owl being in the park so late without having to go in the summer is extra fun. I don't know that we'd do it again because I try to do something new on each trip and don't really have the funds to repeat old favorites that cost extra AND spring for new experiences. But we'll do MVMCP this time and get to have a similar-but-not-really experience. :thumbsup2

I intended to post a few pics but I see that they've already switched back to posting pics from a URL instead of allowing to do it straight from the computer. My internet is too slow for that fiasco but perhaps when I'm at work tomorrow I'll have time.

Sorry to hear about Andrew. It does sound like he has some options though.

Congrats on passing your math test... try #1!!!!

Awww, so heartbreaking as a parent to watch your son go through this. It sort of reminds me of what Walt once said:
“I think it’s important to have a good hard failure when you're young. I learned a lot out of that. Because it makes you kind of aware of what can happen to you. Because of it I’ve never had any fear in my whole life when we’ve been near collapse and all of that. I’ve never been afraid. I’ve never had the feeling I couldn’t walk out and get a job doing something.”
I’m sure he’ll go on to do great things.
Yay for passing your math test, first try woo hoo!
I really liked my medsurg clinicals when in school. You just never know what you will come across, such a great learning experience.

That is really such a beautiful quote! I hadn't heard that one before, and it really is perfect for this situation. I'm sure he's really learning a lot through this; learning to stand on one's own two feet is sure a lesson I wish more people would embrace.

Yes, med-surg is awesome. I love the variety or healthcare issues that have to be addressed. Always keeps me on my toes. This term we'll be passing meds with the Pyxis, which is both exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

Ok, I am only on page 4 of this report. I will get caught up on it. I think you and I have met! You were in Nashville with Mary (Maroo here on the DIS) and some friends and you all stopped in the Disney Store and said hi! I remember reading about your time in Crapistan. Can't wait to continue reading!

Lynn

Hi Lynn! Why yes, that is absolutely correct, we did briefly meet in Nashville at the Disney Store at Opry Mills Mall- before the big disaster. That was with Maroo and her friend Lauren - that beautiful girl who's could very well become Ms. Wheelchair USA very soon. If I remember correctly, MeMom was there as well, and possibly Punkin413?? It's great to be back on touch with you!

So much has happened in my life since then, including this whole go back to school gig. It's been a wild ride to say the least. I'm glad to see you're here to share in the fun. My older thread moved so fast I could hardly keep up; wish I could be here more now, but that'll have to wait until summer. :)

Oh, what a disappointment! I know how much you were looking forward to spend time here on the DIS in the coming week... And the money could have been used for many far more fun things, too!

It's SO disappointing! Ive been trying to use my phone, but that is difficult at best. Now I'm on an ancient laptop that is FULL of viruses and barely usable. Super frustrating. Every single page takes literally about a minute to load. The money wouldn't have been so bad, if I hadn't just paid Andrew's emergency room bill and if tuition wasn't due in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

So I'm going to attempt this on my phone. Difficult at best, so here goes nuthin'.

Thank you for the encouragement, Cynthia! I do believe that, and trust that this is but a small bump in the road and only a hiccup along the way. Things are so very unclear right now and more questions remain than there are answers.

First order of business is talking to his cadre to find out what the timeline is for getting to basic and with that info either getting a job or not. And getting his first car or not.

I will say that the conversation with Dad last night went very well. Mike re-iterated that he was dang proud of him and knows how tough those programs are. He asked the questions that just aren't answerable yet and offered some other options including coming back to OSU part time if the Army would let him stall a bit.

Anyway, we got our next term's calendar and the reading blitz has begun.

BTW, tried to call. Contemplating a quick trip up to your neck of the woods.... Will call again.... Meantime, I'll enjoy my margarita and pretend it's that virtual glass of red wine. ;)

Sorry I missed your call! Was at the gym and then out for a run :) If you get a chance, tomorrow after 10 am is probably pretty good!

As is a margarita, yum!

OSU part time could be a great option if that can be negotiated (definitely worth asking the question!) and thumbs up to Mike for handling it so well.

OMG! My worst nightmare happened. I had high hopes of spending embarrassing amounts of time here to relax on break. However, my laptop's screen just completely died. I just got back from the repair shop where they told me it'll be back with a new screen in 5 business days and will *only* cost $150. :(

I will go to a friend's place a bit later to at least catch on replies today. Ugh.

DISLIKE!

Well it took a while, but I did get through all 31 pages (some hit & miss but still skimmed seriously). Sorry about your son losing the scholarship, that's a tough pill to swallow but it sounds like he's keeping his head held high and as his mom, that should make you proud.

My husband & I got to go to the Halloween Party in 2013 when we did our "quickie" visit to see our son. We loved it. Hope you get to attend when you go!!

Hi Liesa, I'm sorry that Andrew lost his scholarship! It is funny, I still remember when you told us about him starting it, here on the Dis! I hope it will work out well for him and also for you. I'm very impressed I handled this all by himself. He seems to be much more "adult" than I was at his age…

And I'm sorry for the computer problems as well! That's definitely not like you planned your very few days of vacation!!! I try to steal some time reading the disboards on my mobile as well: waiting for a bus, etc. But commenting it (more than liking posts) it really frustrating.

Unfortunately we don't have a trip to Kentucky planned this year. But we definitely want to visit with Mikes host family next year or in 2017. So there is a slight chance to meet then :goodvibes

So sorry about Andrew and the scholarship. Sounds like he has a plan so hope that works itself out.

Double UGH on the computer screen.

Leisa, I'm sorry to hear about your son. :( I am sure all will turn out for the best for him.

We've done the Not-so-scary party twice. Personally, we won't do it again...they oversell it. But I think everyone should do it at least once.

It was definitely a bump in the road for sure, and we'll know more in the next few weeks what's going to happen to determine his next steps. Best to learn young that life is full of ups and downs and to be flexible is the best way to approach disappointments.

Yes, the photos I've seen, including yours (THANK YOU!, but to keep stuff on my screen better -phone, I took them out of my reply, it is a really packed party. Not quite as bad as say the Osborne Lights, but quite crowded. On the other hand, I've also heard folks say that a lot of rides were walk-on. I'd really want to ride PoTC, Haunted Mansion, and maybe Laugh Floor but concentrate on the Parade and Fireworks; I always like a park where rides are cake to get on.

Oh man, so sorry to read about what's going on with your son. I hope everything works out for him in a way that makes him happy and a way that you and his dad can not worry over too much. :hug:

Congrats on the A!! :cool1:

Love the baby pic and hope that little family is doing okay. :flower3:

We thoroughly enjoyed MNSSHP when we went- I love the short wait times and since I'm a night owl being in the park so late without having to go in the summer is extra fun. I don't know that we'd do it again because I try to do something new on each trip and don't really have the funds to repeat old favorites that cost extra AND spring for new experiences. But we'll do MVMCP this time and get to have a similar-but-not-really experience. :thumbsup2

I intended to post a few pics but I see that they've already switched back to posting pics from a URL instead of allowing to do it straight from the computer. My internet is too slow for that fiasco but perhaps when I'm at work tomorrow I'll have time.

It is hard not to worry as a parent... I hope so too that the decisions are sound and are ones that keep him moving forward. Having an active duty son right now is not going to be easy for sure! There is so much turmoil all around.

Thanks! I got all of the cooking I wanted to do done today (40 meals in the freezer now), so am feeling ready for the next term to start!

Mom and baby are struggling a bit, they could use all the prayers they can get. :/

I AM in total agreement with you about not doing things again when there is so much other fun stuff to try! There are only about 30 restaurants I want to eat at, the MVMCP to get to, Flower and Garden I only got to see 1/2 a day of, and of course only about 15 resorts I still haven't stayed at. But this RN thing should pay out in an annual trip, so ticking those things off my bucket list should start to happen. :D

So sorry to read the news about your son Liesa. Praying for some path-straightening.

Thanks, Glenn! I truly appreciate that. This is his road to walk; we just want to be with him on it if he wants us there. I'll update as I can on any progress.

Sorry to hear about Andrew. It does sound like he has some options though.

Congrats on passing your math test... try #1!!!!

Options are always a good thing. And none of them are really bad. Just not anticipated. He'll be fine. In time.

Sorry I missed your call! Was at the gym and then out for a run :) If you get a chance, tomorrow after 10 am is probably pretty good!

As is a margarita, yum!

OSU part time could be a great option if that can be negotiated (definitely worth asking the question!) and thumbs up to Mike for handling it so well.

I'll try again soon.... stay tuned.

Thank you for my glass of red tonight. I bought a new bottle in honor of you. ;)

I guess that option is a no-go. He must either be enrolled full-time or be active. Gah... college years to so hard for these kids! Mikki is now struggling to find direction as she must missed the scholarship deadlines, including ROTC. I guess she will still be at OSU this coming Fall, but it will be more expensive than we'd like for this first year. :(

Truly. I am hoping to get to school tomorrow for some other work I have to do, and will camp out on one of the library computers and try to catch up some as well as take care of business. And maybe, just maybe, my laptop will be done faster than they told me. Of course there is also the possibility pigs could fly too.

Now onto the pressing business at hand. I share this here because, I know you all can appreciate the ups and downs of life, and we all need a place to vent. That and I really don't have the liberty to share the following on FB for the obvious reasons. There is a tiny bit of anonymity here where the involveds eyes don't go. My heart is pretty sad right now.

Our oldest son has been going to WKU (go Hilltoppers) where he was about 3/5 of the way through his Mechanical Engineering program. I got a phone call today from him telling us he has dropped out because he lost his Army ROTC scholarship and can't afford the out-of-state tuition to continue on. The reasons he lost the scholarship are probably multiple, and right now isn't the time to speculate and come down hard on him. It is a TOUGH program; I get that. And he tried very hard, but it just wasn't enough.

Hi, Liesa. Just catching up with everyone and I caught up with this news here. I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how hard that phone call was. I can definitely relate to how difficult an engineering curriculum is. I lived in paranoia that I'd lose my scholarship as well. I will pray that both he and you will be able to find new opportunities ahead. It's a setback, but his story isn't over yet. Not by a long shot.

On a happier note, and I know most of you saw this on FB, I passed this term's math test yesterday on the first attempt. We get 3 tries to pass it with a 100%. If you don't you are automatically out of the program, so no pressure or anything. :scared: We also got our Rotation assignments for the term, and I am SO excited to have gotten 3 weeks in the Labor and Delivery and Mother and Baby Units at our local hospital. I also have several night shifts at another local hospital in a general Med-Surg floor. That'll be awesome!

Great job on the test! Hope the new rotation goes smoothly!

Well it took a while, but I did get through all 31 pages (some hit & miss but still skimmed seriously). Sorry about your son losing the scholarship, that's a tough pill to swallow but it sounds like he's keeping his head held high and as his mom, that should make you proud.

My husband & I got to go to the Halloween Party in 2013 when we did our "quickie" visit to see our son. We loved it. Hope you get to attend when you go!!

YAY!! More fun to the party! :welcome: So glad you're here. It's awesome to be making new friends! This thread is actually moving incredibly slow compaired to other threads I've hosted; a lot of silly joking that you can join in on, if you choose. :) We do have a lot of fun!

We are definitely proud of him. The not knowing is the hardest part, I think. He'll get through it, and a few bumps in the road (as long as they remain only that) will serve as good lessons.

I'm not sure how far out I can buy tickets, but will do so as soon as I can . Everything I can pay ahead of time is one less thing to pay for not as one big chunk at the end. I have only heard amazing things about the party, except that it can be croweded, and am happy it's still going since the last debaucle.

Hi Liesa, I'm sorry that Andrew lost his scholarship! It is funny, I still remember when you told us about him starting it, here on the Dis! I hope it will work out well for him and also for you. I'm very impressed I handled this all by himself. He seems to be much more "adult" than I was at his age…

Yes, that was 4 years ago now. So hard to believe! I know there are other paths to take, and more than one way to skin a cat, but I do hope he does not give up the majority of the degree he has already worked so heard for. Nor the Officer's position.

And I'm sorry for the computer problems as well! That's definitely not like you planned your very few days of vacation!!! I try to steal some time reading the disboards on my mobile as well: waiting for a bus, etc. But commenting it (more than liking posts) it really frustrating.

I have tried my phone- too slow; then I tried Mikki's old laptop- even slower!; and now I'm on this piece of crap Acer netbook- slowest of them all. I WANT MY LAPTOP BACK!!!!! The phone for reading is fine, but I had really hoped to catch up on my replies to other threads. :(

Unfortunately we don't have a trip to Kentucky planned this year. But we definitely want to visit with Mikes host family next year or in 2017. So there is a slight chance to meet then :goodvibes

I had no idea you had a Kentucky connection! Yes, I would love to see you when next you're through. That, or we just meet at Disney World. ;)

So sorry about Andrew and the scholarship. Sounds like he has a plan so hope that works itself out.

Double UGH on the computer screen.

I'm sure it'll all happen the way it's supposed to in the end. It'll now just take a lot longer.

Just called about my laptop; should be ready by Monday. Just in time for Break to be over.

O is for: Open Your Arms to me Food and Wine
Aside from my long hiatus while taking care of the business of schooling myself (it’s awesome to be back!), I’ve been around the DIS for long enough to have read scores, probably even hundreds, of Restaurant, Food, Wine, Signature, Counter, Snack and Cocktail reviews. Some have piqued my interest enough to actually give a place a go, others have made me scratch certain places off the list forever, but none have made me want to actually schedule a trip around an event quite like the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT.

That said, I cannot wait to tantalize my wee little tasty buds with BIG flavors of this and that. So here’s my strategy as a Newbie going in with little to really expect other than this:

Budgeting about $50/adult for our trip around the Lake should net me about 6-8 samples of deliciousness AND 3 or so wine pairings. That’s assuming an average of $4-5 per sample. Of course, this is only me. But here is an idea, my friends… what if, just what if, I put $50 into each young’un’s stocking and told them they could spend it on whatever their little ol’ heart desired on our trip? Then when things get a’looking mighty tasty during our strolling tour around the Lagoon, I don’t have to hear the tired and overused “Can I please…? Serenade”. I like empowering the offspring to make good decisions so that would really be a win-win deal. From what I hear, most everything is good at F&W.

Like many of you, I imagine myself stalking the list of presenters. And perhaps planning my Stuff-My-Face-Fest down to the last bite. I have been accused of being rather anal, and I won’t apologize. Maybe someday it will save a life as I don’t mistake 0.3 mg for 30 mg. Until then, bear with my OCD-style of planning and presenting all those plans with you. Don’t you DARE deny you don’t love it. You wouldn’t be here otherwise. That or you have WAY too much time on your hands and really know how to waste company dollars doing online “research”. Or the only thing left on your to-do list is cleaning the toilet.

OK, back to Food and Wine. One advantage of living next door to a Wine Rep at a large wine distributor in our city, is this particular neighbor spends the entirety of the F&W pouring for her company and hosting several of the pairing seminars. I have a distinct “in” and have a standing invite to hang out with her for an event. It has been hinted that a gratis experience would be in the making prior to our trip. Aside from F&W, I was also told that perhaps Artist’s Point “would treat me well”- but more on that later… For this event, I am glad to have an expert ready to make sure I get more out of F&W than I would have without her.

I have heard that some of the events are centered around flights, and read a wonderful review on a tequila tasting that offered some astounding selections and was simply a lot of fun. I think if finances permit, Mike and I may splurge on something along those lines as well. But that is icing on the proverbial cake- or perhaps dessert to a real slice of cake from somewhere around a Food and Wine world just waiting to open its arms to our partaking in October, 2016.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter