ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

It has been years since we enjoyed the Flights of Wonder show. I need to put it on our list for next time. We used to spend hours and hours at the parks slowly wondering around, browsing the stores, etc. but the last few times we visited (since fast-pass plus was implemented), it has been so crowded and unpleasant in the parks that we have quickly used our pre-selected rides, and then left. Waste of park ticket money. I miss the old days when you could travel off season and not have to shove your way though people. Me-me-me-me-me-me, it is all about me. :rotfl2: Can you tell, I just gave my lecture on personality disorders last week and the narcissism has kicked in?

Kate

I am voting for Coral Reef!! Would like to hear what you thought about it because Michael and I have an ADR there.

Lol, I was just so excited!

I like excitement on my threads! Crazy on!

It has been years since we enjoyed the Flights of Wonder show. I need to put it on our list for next time. We used to spend hours and hours at the parks slowly wondering around, browsing the stores, etc. but the last few times we visited (since fast-pass plus was implemented), it has been so crowded and unpleasant in the parks that we have quickly used our pre-selected rides, and then left. Waste of park ticket money. I miss the old days when you could travel off season and not have to shove your way though people. Me-me-me-me-me-me, it is all about me. :rotfl2: Can you tell, I just gave my lecture on personality disorders last week and the narcissism has kicked in?

I totally hear ya. I guess gone are the days when you could waltz in mid-October and do walk on after walk on. I remember so many afternoons sitting on a DLR bench just people watching and listening to the BGM. When someone actually had time to truly browse the one-of-a-kind shops on MS and not worry about having to make it to say, 4 rides all day.

Didn't know you lectured...? Psych? Do tell!

I am voting for Coral Reef!! Would like to hear what you thought about it because Michael and I have an ADR there.

Noted!

I vote for Coral Reef if it contains food. I'm all about the food!!! Plus I've never eaten there and I want to!

Noted. And it will likely be that having the most votes so far. But, since we'll be cycling through A-Z a few times, no stone will be left unturned. :)

Well I missed the 12 hour widow, but I'll say Coral Reef.

I thought your bird pictures were great!

For some reason when you said you were going commando, I also pictured you in an skirt. :eek: you had pants on so who was going to know? I remember when all the gals at an office job I had in college teased me about VPLs. I never felt comfortable going commando even in panty hose.

Your travel day sounded brutal and yeah, no one should be anywhere without means to keep phones chared and ringers on. How did we ever exist before cell phones?!

Okay I've finally gotten caught up.

First, I'd like to say congrats for finishing your degree! It's nice to know people make it out on the other side cause right now I'm panicking so much that I'll never make it.

Second, I love the decorations that you did for your room. Decorated rooms always make me so happy to see.

Finally, I'm loving following along and I can't wait for more :)

I have just read your first three installments and found them to be a much needed oasis. One forgets how much joy can be found in sharing the Disney Adventures of a good friend.

I will be around later this week, an I can't wait to get all caught up. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

Well I missed the 12 hour widow, but I'll say Coral Reef.

NO worries! I'm going to post it soon, and it did get the most votes. :) Stay tuned...

I thought your bird pictures were great!

Thanks, Alison! :) I tried my best.

For some reason when you said you were going commando, I also pictured you in an skirt. :eek: you had pants on so who was going to know? I remember when all the gals at an office job I had in college teased me about VPLs. I never felt comfortable going commando even in panty hose.

OH geez no! I did want to wear a dress to Raglan, but thought it best not to under the circumstances. Well, that and I couldn't even if I"d have wanted to, being that the luggage was still in the netherworld. And like you, just no. VPLs are a reality of life. Get over it. LOL!

Your travel day sounded brutal and yeah, no one should be anywhere without means to keep phones chared and ringers on. How did we ever exist before cell phones?!

Growing up, we had a standing meeting place at DLR- the front of the castle at a very precise pre-arranged time. I only remembering it failing like once, because it took a long time for my parents to let the leash loose again after we screwed up that one time. We had full reign of the park since as long as I can remember- perhaps on our own by 9 or 10? Wouldn't do that now. Too many people and wouldn't feel safe. Sad.

Okay I've finally gotten caught up.

YAY!!

First, I'd like to say congrats for finishing your degree! It's nice to know people make it out on the other side cause right now I'm panicking so much that I'll never make it.

Thanks, Amber! It was a long, hard road, but so, SO very worth it! ALL of us were panicking every single day! Would we make it? Would we pass this exam? The next one? Would we kill a patient that day? The next? You'll make it, but it will take every ounce of your energy and time from here until the end. Don't give up!

Second, I love the decorations that you did for your room. Decorated rooms always make me so happy to see.

They worked out really well! Mostly. The "Guest Book" kept blowing off the door handle, so that was a bust, but the lights were super fun!

Finally, I'm loving following along and I can't wait for more :)

Next chapter going up tonight. :)

I have just read your first three installments and found them to be a much needed oasis. One forgets how much joy can be found in sharing the Disney Adventures of a good friend.

OH, how I've missed you GB! It's so great seeing an old (read longtime) friend show up. I wish the circumstances of you actually having time to sit and read and respond were better, though. Nevertheless, if we can offer some support, friendship and a laugh or two along the way, then I'm glad you're here even more! Keep us posted on how things are going this week!

I will be around later this week, an I can't wait to get all caught up. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

C is for: Culinary Catch of the Day

Each trip to My Happy Place gets a nice mix of old and new restaurants built into the itinerary. One that I’ve had my eye on for quite some time was Coral Reef. While the reviews I’d read over the years have had their ups and downs, some very good, some mediocre, I chose to add it to the list because it offers more than a super sounding, well rounded menu. For the fact that our group included teens as well, I wanted to make sure that it wasn’t too stuffy and that the places we were going held some sort of interest factor to ease them into finer dining. While they are no strangers to being expected to have manners at the table (Yes, we actually do make them put their napkins in their laps, use a fork and knife properly, and do not allow them to slurp. We let the nose picking slide.), I don’t expect them to feel like Disney dining is about not having fun at the same time. There are plenty of places within the parks and resorts that offer a true mix of excellent food and some sort of “entertainment”. I purposely chose several, including Raglan Road, Via Napoli, and our destination restaurant of this review: Coral Reef.

Before our leisurely meal and experience here, we had spent the afternoon learning all about sustainable farming and gardening practices during a Behind the Seeds Tour. I’m really looking forward to sharing that with you; it’s a Tour that’s well worth the price and time. But this chapter is about eating food. Everyone loves food. And this is all about fish too. Fish are our friends. They also happen to taste delicious.

But that’s getting ahead of myself….

We arrived precisely on time for our 6:15 ADR, and were told it would be just a few minutes. That left the potty option open. Because, if you do Disney like I do Disney, septic uremia is a real possibility.

I’ll wait…..

Great, now that you’ve learned a new word and what it means, let’s get back to the Coral Reef. After business was taken care of, we could focus on beginning to enjoy the very lovely restaurant entrance. As with most of The Seas Pavilion, the illusion of being submerged in an underwater world surrounds you. Greens and blues are dominant, lighting is subdued, and the architecture uses soft curves to bring "the ocean" all around you. I was particularly impressed with the glasswork and artsy fixtures used in the area.

Very fun to try to photograph. I re-approached the check-in desk after 5 or so minutes to let them know we’d be willing to wait up to 15 more minutes for a table near the aquariums. She told me our table was actually ready and that she thought we’d be happier there. Our hostess led us through the dimmed dining area to a 2nd Level 4 topper, and true to her word, the view was absolutely perfect.

There are 4, maybe 5, huge aquarium windows with a table directly in front of each one. While from those tables you certainly get an up close and personal fishy view, those views are actually very limited. Our table was in the center slightly raised off of ground level and set back so that we had view into each window. Our hostess literally said as she seated us, “Welcome to the best table in the house.”

Very soon, our nice, but slightly over-talkative server came to answer questions about the menu and take our drink order.

If you want a better view of the menu, Allears has better photos. ;)

For those of you who had been following my Pre-Trip Report, you know that I set forth a major, perhaps never done before, drinking challenge for this trip: An A-Z Drink Through Disney. Did I complete this big undertaking? It is very possible…. But tonight, at Coral Reef, I was on Letter G. EASY! A Gin and Ginger for me, please.

Mikki, who’s 21 now, ordered up the Magical Star Cocktail. Like most 21 year olds, she doesn’t necessarily love the taste of quality booze, so orders highly disguised kiddie versions with pretty, lighted ice cubes. (Please ignore the fact, that I confiscated the glow cube and have used it twice since being home.)

Zach and Anara both ordered juice of some sort, most likely strawberry lemonade. (Checks receipt; yep, strawberry lemonade) Pretty sure the liquid portions of our meal accounted for roughly half of the $108 bill. (Not including tip). I remember our conversation being utterly delightful.

Eventually, our server returned to deliver our drinks and warm bread, which was delicious, and to take our food order. We had agreed to start with an appetizer to share and decided on the Creamy Crab-Spinach Fondue- toasted panke, fresh herbs, and lavash for $14. I loved the little B&B plates at each place:

I totally failed on taking photos of our meals, but again, the internet is full of much better photos than you would have gotten from me anyway. Anara doesn’t care for fish, so I offered to split the New York Strip steak with her. We ordered it medium rare, and it comes with a side of mashed potatoes and a veggie. This was a mistake, as it was too underdone for both of us and I suck at sending food back. We ate it, but we both would have loved it more if I’d ordered it medium instead. Michaela and Zach ordered the Mahi-Mahi to share. While we waited for our entrees, our attention was riveted on the colorful fish gliding and darting back and forth; occasionally, something much larger would grab our attention and cause a buzz throughout the restaurant. Things like this:

And this:

But especially this!

I remember our conversation was delightful and we had a really, truly wonderful time enjoying the atmosphere and each other. It got even better just before our entrees arrived. At one point, Anara stood up to re-adjust her pants and somehow her hem got caught under her shoe. The people behind her had more than the fish to entertain them for a brief and terrifying few seconds. For her that is. For us, it was downright hilarious, and we laughed until our sides ached. At her expense, of course.

We passed on dessert as we’d hit the financial limit (about 2 entrees ago), and sadly, we actually left a wee bit underfed. One unfortunate reality we saw across the board at Disney this trip was the downsizing of meals. During our 2010 trip we found meals to be bordering on obscenely huge. I’d banked on this when planning and budgeting, but had to do some major re-thinking and re-adjusting when we started consistently being served smaller-than-I’d-remembered (and more expensive) meals. In hindsight, we should have ordered: A) dessert, or B) one more appetizer, or C) one more entrée- probably the latter. Another option would have been to hit up Food and Wine afterwards. I can tell you we did not. What I cannot tell you is what we did do. Because that would force me to get off my couch and fetch my TR Notes. I’m all cozy-like here on my couch with a Cider and Fireball and seriously not going to move. So, you’ll have to stay tuned to find out what our “after party” was like. As a side note, I hear there’s a supermoon this week. You should watch it. Anara says she's going to pass though.

Last edited:
Thanks, Amber! It was a long, hard road, but so, SO very worth it! ALL of us were panicking every single day! Would we make it? Would we pass this exam? The next one? Would we kill a patient that day? The next? You'll make it, but it will take every ounce of your energy and time from here until the end. Don't give up!
I feel that way all about the exams. We're just in long term care right now, so I don't have to worry about killing anyone but I know that will for sure become a fear. I'm expecting that it'll be terribly difficult but I'm hoping that I'll make it.

They worked out really well! Mostly. The "Guest Book" kept blowing off the door handle, so that was a bust, but the lights were super fun!
Well, at least the lights were great.

Like most 21 year olds, she doesn’t necessarily love the taste of quality booze, so order highly disguised kiddie versions with pretty, lighted ice cubes.
That's me too. 23 and not going for anything strong.

One sad reality we saw across the board at Disney this trip was the downsizing of meals.
I haven't really noticed that. I have noticed slight cost increases but then again, I eat like a bird most of the time so I guess that could be why I didn't notice it.

We too have noticed over the last few years that the meals are getting smaller and the price is going up-up-up. We used to always share an entree with no app or dessert and be very content. Now we find that we need a least an app and entree, sometime more before feeling full.

Yep, I am a professor. Instruct psychology at an inter city community college. Which is why I tend not to post on TRs until late in the semester. Between classes and extra required work we put in a 40+ hour week - and I love it. I do plan to retire in a few years though, as soon as we pay the last year's tuition for our daughter's undergrad education. She is on her own for graduate school.

This is the first year I had time to be an active participator in trip reports. Our daughter was one of those "involved in everything" child so our evenings and weekends were packed. Now that she is away at college, she no longer needs me. She needs my money but not "me". :thumbsup2 Shhh, don't tell her but I am kind of enjoying being able to focus on my needs for a change.

Kate

Supermoon! :rotfl:poor Anara! Sounds like a really great meal! I have to admit I enjoy the glow cube drinks, too, just because they sound so unusual and look so fun!

I do think you'd enjoy it. There are some really fun things to do there! The best of which is to visit the Corvette Factory and Museum for tours.

That, I'd like to see!

Steppe's Royal Carriage, although slow, was beautiful!

Nice that they spruced it up for you, though.

It is a proven fact that the longest one-way trip to anywhere is the trip to your home resort from MCO.

This is true. I can vouch for that.

Nice! Did you get a front seat? Or did you sit near the front and lean??

A corollary to that is that Disney has a year-round construction season every year.

Well, that's Florida. We have two seasons. Winter and construction.

It is also Disney-Law that your resort will be the last one on the ME route.

Not true. At least not for those with the VIP transportation package.

:rolleyes1

But it was pretty and seeing these gave us a surge of happiness and excitement!

::yes:: It does that, doesn't it?

A) He could utilize ME, B) We'd only be charged the extra adult fee for the one night he'd be there, and C) it would activate his MB for the room door.

Ah. Now it makes sense. I was thinking "Sheesh. Just sneak him in."

but eating trumps swimming any day of the year.

Please. Must you use the word... 'trumps'?

There were 3 of them (palettes that is),

:laughing: Soooo glad you included that last bit.
"That's it? What a crummy food court!"

I had heard good things about the Make-Your-Own Pasta Bar,

That does sound good!

It satisfied all of us for about $13 and got us through until dinner.

I'm more or less shocked that you found something you all could enjoy.

Wanna see our view??

Not too shabby.

then quickly realized we were about 3 million dollars short for this trip.

Knick knacks ain't what they use to be. At least price wise.

hung our heads in insufficient-funds-shame,

:laughing:

The Receptionist CM was very nice and while she did say our room wasn't ready, the room right next door was.

:laughing: Wow! They really take those room requests to heart!
Next time, you'll have to do what I did. I gave them about a dozen choices with my two faves pointed out.

My luggage had hoped for the same exhilaration, but we'll get to that in a moment....

uh, oh

(in the high heels that I now decided to loathe with every fiber of my being).

But fiber is good for you!

I was bordering on getting blisters long before this vacation got off its feet.

Well, might as well get 'em started early.

Outside the room, the Greeter gave me the same stink eye I was about to give my kids:

Is that one of them thar angry birds I hear about all the time?

After waiting 20 minutes or so for them, I called and they then informed me they were lost.

:sad2: It's not that big of a resort. Sheesh. Kids.

"Oh, you were assigned 2539; we took them there. Sorry for the confusion; we'll bring them right now."

To the room that wasn't ready? Supposedly because there were still people in it? That room?

Wait, hang on! Where's our checked stuff?!

I called again, and they told me it was just arriving from MCO and that they'd bring it over very soon.

And now you know why I didn't use the DME baggage service on my last trip.

Nice! I like it!

I've never seen that before. And now I'm going to have to keep an eye out on future trips.

Seriously, I was really, really cranky at the kids and myself. To be fair, none of us had slept in approximately 36 hours and it was definitely catching up with us.

::yes:: Lack of sleep will definitely do that. Especially if you're not used to it.

Rule #1: Never, EVER part ways without a solid, fool-proof, concrete plan with an EXACT meeting place. Ever.
Rule #2: Do NOT turn off your ringer unless you are on a ride.
Rule #3: Keep your auxiliary phone charger on your person at all times.

Rules are meant to be broken though, so.... hmmmmmmmm........

I called again for our luggage and they said, "That's been delivered, Ma'am."

....here we go again... :rolleyes2

"I'm sorry, I'm sitting in 7537, and it's definitely not here.'

(This time I was quick on the draw) "Did you by chance take it to 7539?"

"Oh yes. That's not your room?"

"No, we were switched after arrival. I really need my underwear. Can you send someone to bring it (and my bags) next door?"

"Sure, no problem!"

Nothing makes a man move faster than a woman who wants him to bring her underwear.

It was either dirty undies or none, so I made the only choice I could: I set off for The Springs Commando-style.

:lmao: OMG. You're killing me!

It seems many, if not most of my readers missed the last update.

Nope!

Since I've abandoned any semblance of rhyme or reason in this TR, let's just add a bit more mayhem. I also chose to tackle this update because it's a colossal disappointment as far as photos go. May as well get the not-so-great out of the way early on.

I think you got some good ones. like the one below.

DAK happens to be Queenie's 2nd favorite park, although it very decidedly inched toward #1 this trip.

Oh? Interesting. More relaxing?

Great capture on a fast moving target.

In case you've never managed to make it to Animal Kingdom's opening, a nice little narrative is played something along the lines of "adventure" and "exploring". Then an explosion of parrots is released overhead.

Well, I can't remember ever seeing that.

One of the lesser visited attractions that we took in was the Flights of Wonder Show, which had wowed me enough on my last trip to make sure the kids saw it this time.

We went with the kidlets. And I agree that it's a great show... highly underrated.

To draw in the crowd, they had a little pre-show going that featured Annie the Great Horned Owl:

What's so great about her?

jk

We live in owl country so my kids could actually answer most of the questions he was asking about owls.

Oh? My kids can't answer questions about any animal except dogs, guinea pigs and capybaras (Kay on that last one).

One of my pipe dreams is to photo-capture one in our yard where they regularly hang out.

I remember being startled by an owl that flew low over my head one night.
Heard the hoot. Never heard or saw anything else.

Not bad!

At the very least, I love the joy on the crowd's faces!

::yes::

They fly extremely close to the Tour Group's (you) heads!

That's great, no?

Next was one of the most EPIC parts of my whole day! Each show they choose 2 people from the crowd to go on stage to try their hand at getting some shots at the Great Horned Owl flying straight at them from up on stage. I shot my camera up when they announced it and was miraculously chosen!

No way! So cool!!!

Comin' atcha. Prepare to duck.

no pun intended.

well, maybe a little. so sue me. put it on my bill.

That's it. And that's zoomed and cropped as much as I could.

You did better than I did.
I actually called our zoo once and asked if I could shoot their eagles flying.
I was invited to come before the zoo opened. The guy took me to the cages where he went in and shooed one off its perch two or three times. I didn't get a single decent shot.

Here is one of those flying parrots sitting still in all his glory.

Where?

China and Canada

I vote for this!

Too late.

Here is your "B" Mystery Photo for Guessing:

I'm not going to PM you. I don't have a clue... unless... wait.... maybe I do.

One that I’ve had my eye on for quite some time was Coral Reef.

Been there a couple times. Enjoyed it every time.

it offers more than a super sounding, well rounded menu.

::yes::

(Yes, we actually do make them put their napkins in their laps, use a fork and knife properly, and do not allow them to slurp. We let the nose picking slide.),

There's only so much you can control.

Behind the Seeds Tour. I’m really looking forward to sharing that with you; it’s a Tour that’s well worth the price and time.

I keep hearing more and more people who really enjoy this tour.

Because, if you do Disney like I do Disney, septic uremia is a real possibility.

No potty breaks for you, huh?

I’ll wait…..

Hah! I didn't Google it! I just figured it out based on knowing already what septic means and uremia is too close to urea to not mean what I think it means.

As with most of The Seas Pavilion, the illusion of being submerged in an underwater world surrounds you. Greens and blues are dominant, lighting is subdued, and the architecture uses soft curves to bring "the ocean" all around you.

That's weird. I don't remember any of that.

Very fun to try to photograph. I re-approached the check-in desk after 5 or so minutes to let them know we’d be willing to wait up to 15 more minutes for a table near the aquariums

Good call.

and true to her word, the view was absolutely perfect.

Oh?

Oh!

Our hostess literally said as she seated us, “Welcome to the best table in the house.”

Score!

Like most 21 year olds, she doesn’t necessarily love the taste of quality booze, so orders highly disguised kiddie versions with pretty, lighted ice cubes.

So... I'm like most 21 year olds.

Yesssssss....

(Please ignore the fact, that I confiscated the glow cube and have used it twice since being home.)

:laughing:

Nice shot of the fam!

This was a mistake, as it was too underdone for both of us and I suck at sending food back.

Should have. It's such an easy fix. Just throw it back on the grill or in the oven for a bit.

Things like this:

Was close enough to pet that one.

Swam over and under that guy.

But did he interact with the guests? If the answer is yes... good. if not... loser!!

I remember our conversation was delightful and we had a really, truly wonderful time enjoying the atmosphere and each other.

:goodvibes

It got even better just before our entrees arrived. At one point, she stood up to re-adjust her pants and somehow her hem got caught under her shoe. The people behind her had more than the fish to entertain them for a brief and terrifying few seconds. For her that is. For us, it was downright hilarious, and we laughed until our sides ached. At her expense, of course.

She? Who? Which she?!?!? Who?!?!?!?!?

During our 2010 trip we found meals to be bordering on obscenely huge. I’d banked on this when planning and budgeting, but had to do some major re-thinking and re-adjusting when we started consistently being served smaller-than-I’d-remembered (and more expensive) meals.

Huh. Interesting. I didn't notice this. Then again, I mostly did QS this trip.

As a side note, I hear there’s a supermoon this week. You should watch it.

::yes:: I did!

Anara says she's going to pass though.

Silly girl.

Those drinks look like a lot of fun!

Boo on everything being too small. I hadn't figured on sharing much, but then, LTT was our only entree ordering ADR. Not a problem at Tusker House - just going in knowing it was expensive, but eat all you want, lol. Sorry to hear it didn't work out the way you expected.

But, yay for a diver and a great view of the fish! Cool theming and entertainment is the best part.

Oh, yeah - supermoon! Dd and I saw it on our way home. It was huge! We were driving straight towards it. Dd said she finally understood why people say the moon looks like cheese, lol.

Yeah, that's why we get the dining plan, no sticker shock. Plus, my DH is a big eater so no sharing entrees for him. Also I don't like fish.
I want to try this but we always go to Biergarten and we really want to try France. I may never get here!
I see you got a pic of @pkondz doing his dive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter