Thanksgiving

jeepnjudy

DIS Veteran
Would like some feedback from anyone who has taken a cruise the week of Thanksgiving! We are contemplating booking for Thanksgiving 2016 (when Disney releases the dates to be booked) but we are curious what cruising that week is like. We have been on a Disney cruise over New Years but that has been our only holiday on the ship.

My son and I cruised on The Wonder out of Galveston for Thanksgiving 2013. We had a great time, although the weather was bad and seas were rough for the first couple of days (to the point where some of the decks and the pools were closed). The main lobby of the ship was decorated for Christmas, we had a special Thanksgiving dinner, and we got photos with Mickey and Minnie in their pilgrim garb. Other than that, I didn't get the impression that it was much different from any other cruise. We stopped in Key West, where the weather was ok, Nassau, where the weather was great, and Castaway Cay, where the weather was terrible.

We did the Dream last year and LOVED it. We went to Orlando the weekend before and did Harry Potter. Not sure I would do that again as it was an exhausting day and a half. Sunday night, we drove to the port and stayed nearby. Got up Monday morning, had a quick breakfast and drove to the terminal. It was a little crazy - but it was our first cruise, so I am not sure if that was normal or because the cruise was sold out. We had a 10:30 PAT, got there right on time, handed the luggage over and began an amazing trip. So amazing, we did an OBB for this summer - but a week this time. Thanksgiving Day was our sea day, which was nice because it had a relaxed vibe all day, kind of like when we are at home. That was the only day that the Fab Five were in Pilgrim garb. It was also a Holiday on the High Seas Cruise, so there was Christmas blended in. The guys watched football in the sports bar, but it was also on the Funnel vision. Dinner was good, but not necessarily traditional - the dishes were more frou frou, if that makes sense.

We'd do Thanksgiving again in a heartbeat, but on a longer cruise most likely. We chose summer this time because it coincides with a milestone anniversary.

Enjoy!

We did Thanksgiving 2013 on the Fantasy. The ship was fully decorated for Christmas, and they even built a massive gingerbread house in the atrium during our cruise. That was fun to see it progress every time we walked by!

Santa did make an appearance, as did Santa Goofy. Really the only differences (besides the decorations) were that there were Thanksgiving themed options on the menu that night, some character appearances in Thanksgiving outfits, and a Christmas-themed activity or two (like building/decorating your own gingerbread house). It was really more about Christmas than Thanksgiving, to be honest! It was wonderful, though. We got some awesome pictures with all of the decorations.

Yes. Only I am mad at him, LOL. DS was wearing a Gryffindor shirt (from our recent park visit) when he visited with the Big Red Dude. He asked for Lego. Santa responds "And is Harry Potter your favorite?" Of course, DS agrees emphatically that, yes, Santa HP Legos are the very best. One little problem - Lego retired the series, so guess who was on ebay buying a $25 set for $50 because it was a collectors item??? In all seriousness, it was one of the best Santa experiences we have ever had. After the visit, the kids were invited to put their name on the naught or nice list.

We were on the Dream this past Thanksgiving. If I didn't have to worry about making my extended family mad, we'd go that week every single year for our new tradition. :)

We were on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving 2012 & 2013 and will be again in 2015. It's a wonderful time and our kids only miss 2 days of school as well.

Ok, I think you have all convinced me...looks like I will be booking Thanksgiving 2016...now when are those dates likely to be released??? Ugh!

We did the cruise on the Fantasy for 2014 and it was amazing. Between the Holiday activities, the character's dressed for the holidays including Christmas and Thanksgiving, the Gingerbread house, the Christmas decorations and the Tree was amazing. The dinner menu on Thanksgiving was unbelievable. One night they had hot cocoa and cookies in the lobby. For the Winter Wonderland party they had Santa and Mrs. Claus and Elsa made it snow in the atrium.

My whole family agreed out of the 8 Disney Cruises we have done it was the absolute best. We are seriously considering making it an annual tradition. Not to mention that the cruise didn't sell well and we got a Florida Resident Rate on it.

AMAZING CRUISE!

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback...you convinced me and since the dates released this week, we are now booked for next Thanksgiving!

Not yet...I am guessing maybe still a little too early... I will be a rookie in regards to a DIS meet up! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter