Thanksgiving Week - Just how bad are the Crowds?

jend

Earning My Ears
Hi all - We were planning on coming to Disney 11/29 - 12/6 - but with the new special could afford to come Thanksgiving week instead (11/22 - 11/29) which WOULD be better for DH's work and DD's school. But here's my question - just HOW BAD are the crowds, lines and general madness that week and I guess specifically WEd - Sunday of Thanksgiving? If the lines and people are that much worse, maybe it isn't worht switching? especially when I thought that I read that the period after Thankgiving and before Christmas is actually kind of slow (relatively speaking). Any thoughts?

One other thing? If we did switch? Would we be scr*wed since we don't have any dining reservations yet for the Thanksgiving week? (We made all our ressies for the next week 90 days in advance of the trip?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Jen

November 2004 was our first Thanksgiving trip. We always go between September and January on weeks when WDW is "slow" ( no holidays or peak attendance dates ). We went expecting large crowds and planned to spend our time enjoying the decorations and the occassional ride. The crowds were larger than we had expected and we were not able to do as many rides as we had hoped. Our experience with past trips to WDW probably gave us unrealistic expectations, but we really don't want to know first hand what "real" crowds ( Jun - Aug ) are like! :teeth:

WDW during the Christmas season is awesome and not to be missed. If we had it to do over again we would attend the week following Thanksgiving, so I'd stick with your original plans if I were you. You should see wait times of 20 minutes or less on just about everything, you'll get a shot at MVMCP, and you'll get to keep those dinner reservations! ( we always do PS, be sure to get and CP package if you plan to see the CP )

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

:earsboy:

amandadaddy - Thanks for the thoughts. We tried to book the res for the CP on the Dining plan and they said that they wouldn't do that - only if you had the Platinum plan (or premium plan) or something like that - which didn't make sense to me since Garden Grill, etc IS included on Dining plan. Is it worth it to do the CP dinner package even if you have to pay separately outside of the dining plan?

Also, the Phantasmic dinner plans get you reserved seats but they aren't all that great (i.e. the package seats are off to the side, you know?) Are the CP reserved seats very good? and if not, is it just worth doing the package so you don't have to wait in line? Thanks. :confused3

We got the CP package on the Dining plan for 11/25.... Hmmm....

So maybe the person I was talking to we just extremely unknowlegeable. I guess I'll call back and try again. This is getting very expensive - me calling the 407-wdisney number constantly and being on hold for 20 min before even reaching anyone!!) Is there a toll-free number??

What restaurant did you get?

Hi Jen!

We got Alfredos....

As for the toll free # I 'm not sure..

Good Luck!

sarahsmom - Thanks so much. Just called back and got the CP with dining package on 12/1. The last person I spoke to just didn't know the score! So glad that you all are out there to set me straight. Last thing - Does anyone know anything about the reserved seating?? Thanks again. :worship:

The reserved section is the front portion of the theater. There are not side sections in the America Gardens theater - just long rows of seats with a center aisle. The first several rows do not have a centere aisle. The number of rows alloted to the CP package guests depends on how many packages were sold for that night. There are usually a few rows roped off for VIP guests (choir directors of the performing guest choirs), but other than that, you can choose the area/seat you want within the reserved portion. It's not like filing into the muppets or other Disney show, LOL.

There are two lines to get into the theater - one is for the package guests and the other for stand by guests. Many times the package line will be longer than the standby line, LOL, so the seat you get depends on where you are in line.

FWIW, I do not think any seat is a bad one for the CP - in fact, the very front rows are not the best. We like the middle of the theater about 1/4 of the way back.

The standby line is allowed to enter after the package line - usually several minutes afterwards. They are not allowed to sit in the reserved section until just before the show starts - and by then there usually aren't any seats left in the reserved section anyway. THe CMs do check for your CP package badge before you are allowed into the theater and there are CMs monitoring it inside the theater.

Best wishes -

I agree that there are no bad seats to watch CP unless you are where we were, in the front. If I were there at that time again, I would not do the package, but instead wait in line or if not able to get in, stand at the back of the theater.

1-800-828-0228

GOOD! I am glad I could help!!! Where are you going for dinner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter