Thanksgiving Week - Good/Bad?

rhzamora

Earning My Ears
Howdy all,

First time goober going to WD. I feel like a babe in the woods. Taking wife and 2 kids (5 & 3). Bought my first book on planning and am stunned at the work ahead of me...

Just did a rough calc of total cost. Yowza. I better plan well.

We're thinking of going 11/20 - 11/27. How are the crowds and weather during this period? Thinking of staying at Polynesian, Conceirge Lagoon View.

Also, I came across some info on E-Ride and saw that it practically doesn't exist during November. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Well, we've been three times Thanksgiving week. The first year was in 1999. Monday-Wednesday were pretty uncrowded- got a lot done. THursday and Friday were crowded but managable. The second trip was just after 9/11- no crowds at all!!!
The third trip was this past year. It was very crowded Monday-Friday! We were very surprised based on our prior experiences! Monday was very crowded at MK- and I heard it got a little worse every day. We were also there Thanksgiving Day- we knew it would be a zoo and it was.
As far as E-Ride, the parks are open late the whole week of Thanksgiving due to the crowds.
My suggestions:
1. Use EMH- then hop to a different park. THe parks with EMH were packed by 10:00am.
2. FastPass FastPass FastPass!!!!! Use them and use them often!
3. Make PS at the 90 day mark!
4. Be aware it will be crowded and plan accordingly.
5. Study the maps and know what you want to do and what you can skip at each park. THis will help save time.
6. Ask cast members for help- especially with character meet and greets. We asked several times what time a character would be back. Find out and get there 5-10 minutes ahead of their scheduled time and you will be near the front of the line. This will also allow you time to see another character near them in one greeting session. If not, you will find yourself in line for one character the whole time and then they all leave for a half hour or so.
7. Plan, plan, plan, but, be flexible. We ended up changing our whole itenary this year due to crowds (see #1). Realize that Thanksgiving week is crowded. Get to your ps restaurant about 10- 15 minutes early and you will be seated quicker. Realize the restaurants are busy and you may have to wait to be seated.

We have always had perfect weather. Two short showers in 3 trips and shorts every day! Take a light jacket for the little ones, they may need it in the mornings and evenings. The Christmas decorations go up about this time. If they aren't up when you get there, they will be before you leave. Enjoy them, they are beautiful!
Have a great time! WDW is so magical with little ones!princess:

We were there for thanksgiving in 98 and apart from the sunday
(mgm) which was heaving we avoided most of the crowds.

If you plan your dates right you can easily avoid big turnouts.
For example the day before thanksgiving(which is always the last thursday in november) most of the american public are travelling to their destination. (home) thanksgiving day if i remember correctly is a quiet one in the parks as most folk are at home.( I might be wrong on this as i cannot remember)

then take the weekend off from the theme parks and do what you have to do. (big sales start on thanksgiving day, watch the lines form on the news station)

I can vividly remember being in epcot when all the characters in xmas clothes came out in a "london bus" to an audience of about 50

this was the start of the xmas celebrations. The following week was the start of MVMCP AND THE PARKS FILLED UP AGAIN.

I would reccommend thanksgiving again as a time to visit as there is that buzz around the place and if you play your cards right you can see an awful lot on the quieter days.

If you are there that time of year then you MUST go and see the evening MICKEYS VERY MERRY XMAS PARTY in MK. They shut MK at 6.00pm and then reopen at 8.00pm for what is always a sell out.

All the charecters are in xmas costumes and snow falls on main st along with cocoa being served. Fireworks are a treat also.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually during a holiday week it will be crowded. Since it is your first time do not let the crowds get to you. Take your time and see the sites you want to see.

Take advantage of EE, especially at AK. The park that has EE for that day can get crowded if you do not get there when they start letting people in. We have had luck with short lines by not going to the EE park if we see we are not going to get there at the time EE begins.

Be sure to use FastPass and another tip is ride the rides you want to during the parade. People start getting a spot for the parade and the ride lines are shorter during this time.

One thing that can help is to read about each park and see what you would like to see in each before you go. That is half the battle.

Hope that helps some.

Will it be crowded? Most likely yes. But, you can still have a good time. Sit down with your guidebooks. Make a list of the things you really want to do/see in each park. There is no way you will ever see/do everything in one trip. I've been 4 times and I'm still finding new stuff!! Try to use EE and get those things on your list done early. During the parade is a good time, but I'm sure your little ones will want to see the parades.

Fast Pass is a wonderful thing. Get them early in the day. If you get your 'must do's' done early, you can just take your time the rest of the day. You say you want to stay at the Polynesian, concierge level. Nice choice. Having the monorail and boat to MK is wonderful. It's a quick walk over to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot also. Sitting on the beach, watching the fireworks is terrific. It's really nice for the little ones, since you don't have the loudness, just the fireworks themselves.

We will be arriving on Thanksgiving Day. But we will most likely avoid the parks that day. Maybe we'll stop by Epcot or MGM since we'll be at BWV and have APs. But, I would expect them to be crowded anywhere. Usually E-NIghts are planned for less busy times of the year. So, none are scheduled for Thanksgiving time.

Have fun planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter