Thanksgiving Dinner Suggestions?!

LexiLuvsCoffee

Earning My Ears
OK, so hi!:goodvibes

This year, for the first time in a long time, my family is going to be celebrating Thanksgiving all together, at my house. Since I've been taking cooking class at my school, I offered to cook. I have no problem making lots of food for lots of people, since my mom will be helping me, but I do have one tiny issue...

I have no idea about what to make!:scared1:

I've never done a big holiday before, and my family doesn't do a lot of traditional stuff for Thanksgiving. So I've been making a list of stuff that's not going to work out.
I've worked out making a whole turkey or a ham, because we just did ham last year for Christmas and Turkey for Thanksgiving.

So, I need some suggestions for what to make for Thanksgiving dinner. I only have 3 weeks to plan. Can anyone help?

I have to make turkey, but if I didn't and my crowd wasn't so huge, I would make a prime rib..... yum! With roasted potatoes, au jus or gravy, rolls and a nice green vegie side dish.....yum, I'm drooling just thinking about it!
Good luck!

Cheesy leeks and caramalised onions are the favourite sides here for Christmas:thumbsup2 so I know they work with turkey

I have to make turkey, but if I didn't and my crowd wasn't so huge, I would make a prime rib..... yum! With roasted potatoes, au jus or gravy, rolls and a nice green vegie side dish.....yum, I'm drooling just thinking about it!
Good luck!

I'm like you,I debunk the norm and go for different on holidays.I only have to serve 6people.Don't get me wrong I love turkey,but the only way I do it is deep fried.This recipe for prime rib is easy and taste GREAT!!!!

Ingredients
1 bone-in prime rib (6 to 7 pounds)
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
2 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Directions
Thirty minutes before roasting the prime rib, remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Make small slits all over the prime rib and fill each slit with a slice of the garlic. Season liberally with the salt and coarse pepper, place on a rack set inside a roasting pan and roast for about 2 hours until medium-rare, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers 135 degrees F. Remove the meat to a platter, and tent with foil to keep warm.

Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over 2 burners set on high heat. Add the wine to the pan drippings in the pan and cook over high heat until reduced, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the stock and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the thyme and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Slice meat as desired and serve with thyme au jus

I'm like you,I debunk the norm and go for different on holidays.I only have to serve 6people.Don't get me wrong I love turkey,but the only way I do it is deep fried.This recipe for prime rib is easy and taste GREAT!!!!

Ingredients
2 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
Directions
Thirty minutes before roasting the prime rib, remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.

Make small slits all over the prime rib and fill each slit with a slice of the garlic. Season liberally with the salt and coarse pepper, place on a rack set inside a roasting pan and roast for about 2 hours until medium-rare, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers 135 degrees F. Remove the meat to a platter, and tent with foil to keep warm.

Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over 2 burners set on high heat. Add the wine to the pan drippings in the pan and cook over high heat until reduced, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the stock and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the thyme and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

I told my husband that we should go out to a local restaurant tonight, because I thought they did prime rib on Sunday's and I hadn't planned dinner for tonight. I couldn't get prime rib out of my head since my post yesterday! They didn't have it. I had shepherd's pie instead. Very good, but just not the same thing! Your recipe sounds fabulous, thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll just have to make my own....

If you rub the outer surface of the meat with some plain flour seasoned with a t of mustard powder plus salt and pepper it really adds to the flavour. And if you sit the joint on a couple of halved onions it gives a lovely flavour to the gravy (you chuck the onions so its fine to use up anythat have started sprouting or going soft;) )

I shouldn't read these things hungry. :)

These are good ideas. I hope your Thanksgiving goes
well. Something else you could try would be to give
it an ethnic or regional flair. When I was a teenager,
my family began cooking food from another country
on New Years Day. My sister still does it with her
husband and four kids, and they've cooked meals
from Greece, Italy, Ireland, Nigeria and several
other countries. They always enjoy it.

If you wanted to stick with regional fare, you could
do something like cook Southern food. I'm guessing
the prime rib will win out, but this idea still might
be fun for another time.

Ingredients
2 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
Directions

That recipe sounds really good, I'll have to try it before Thanksgiving to see how it turns out. I wish I only had to serve 6 people, wow, lucky you.

I shouldn't read these things hungry. :)

These are good ideas. I hope your Thanksgiving goes
well. Something else you could try would be to give
it an ethnic or regional flair. When I was a teenager,
my family began cooking food from another country
on New Years Day. My sister still does it with her
husband and four kids, and they've cooked meals
from Greece, Italy, Ireland, Nigeria and several
other countries. They always enjoy it.

If you wanted to stick with regional fare, you could
do something like cook Southern food. I'm guessing
the prime rib will win out, but this idea still might
be fun for another time.

I think that would be a good thing to try for Christmas, which I'm part of the whole family cooking team at my aunts house this year. (We choose one house every year and everyone cooks there and we all spend the night.) I'll have to mention it to everyone at Thanksgiving dinner.

How about leg of lamb? Or if you know someone who hunts, venison? Or goose? (Not as big so you might need to supplement if you have a large crowd.) Or a trio of lasagnas that you could prep on Wednesday? Cheese/veg, traditional and mushroom?

NHWX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter