Thanksgiving at HHI-a few thoughts

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
First, we found that the "Ejecto-couches" seem much better! Last Thanksgiving they'd just been installed, and boy did you feel like you were being launched! This year, they've had mor than a few hours of butt-sits, sp now DH didn't have any complaints.
View-I'm a big view person, and 1224 has the best view of any 1 BR we've ever been in at HHI.
If you think you might have need for a Walgreens/CVS, find out where one is BEFORE you need it. We followed the directions from our server at lunch, and as we drove through the trees thinking "there can't be anything back here", I had visions of her sitting in the restuarant kitchen, laughingly telling her co-workers "You'll never believe where I sent those crazy tourists looking for a Walgreens." Surprisingly, we found the Walgreens-she was right!
If you're into eating places, we ate at Stacks Pancakes, Main Street Cafe, Salty Dog, Roastfish and Cornbread, Pino Gelato, and Johnny D's. Thanksgiving dinner was our fifth consecutive Signe's Bakery dinner.
Shadow is such a sweetie, but if you're familiar with her wake-up call, she was really sleepy this time:goodvibes Of 6 mornings with wake-up call requests, she and Mickey only called twice, with four other "no-calls".
That no-call situation was probably the only tiny glitch in an otherwise perfect vacation.
For you golfers, DH golfed at Oyster Reef in Port Royal, the Ocean course in Sea Pines, and Hilton Head National GC.
Let me know if there's any questions.

First, we found that the "Ejecto-couches" seem much better! Last Thanksgiving they'd just been installed, and boy did you feel like you were being launched! This year, they've had mor than a few hours of butt-sits, sp now DH didn't have any complaints.
View-I'm a big view person, and 1224 has the best view of any 1 BR we've ever been in at HHI.
If you think you might have need for a Walgreens/CVS, find out where one is BEFORE you need it. We followed the directions from our server at lunch, and as we drove through the trees thinking "there can't be anything back here", I had visions of her sitting in the restuarant kitchen, laughingly telling her co-workers "You'll never believe where I sent those crazy tourists looking for a Walgreens." Surprisingly, we found the Walgreens-she was right!
If you're into eating places, we ate at Stacks Pancakes, Main Street Cafe, Salty Dog, Roastfish and Cornbread, Pino Gelato, and Johnny D's. Thanksgiving dinner was our fifth consecutive Signe's Bakery dinner.
Shadow is such a sweetie, but if you're familiar with her wake-up call, she was really sleepy this time:goodvibes Of 6 mornings with wake-up call requests, she and Mickey only called twice, with four other "no-calls".
That no-call situation was probably the only tiny glitch in an otherwise perfect vacation.
For you golfers, DH golfed at Oyster Reef in Port Royal, the Ocean course in Sea Pines, and Hilton Head National GC.
Let me know if there's any questions.

I think they are still terrible - the couches I mean!

We were on the same floor as you but building 11. We had a great room and a very nice view.

The first room we were sent to was probably next door to you but it had a slight problem, so we went back to the desk and were given this one.

I prepared for the couch by bringing a nice cosy quilt and we took the back cushions off and put them away and added a couple of small cushions.

We did not see you there, although our friend mentioned that you and she talked at the Mercantile.

We had the inhouse dinner which was okay. We didn't even open the pie. Too much food! They gave us a whole pound of butter! I had brought some with me - about 2 tablespoons which was enough for our needs, so I left it intact in the refrigerator. I hope it can be used.

We explored a few restaurants including Michael Anthony's, Eat and Crazy Crab. And Tide Me Over and Signals.

I went on a one on one bird walk with Sandy. She was wonderful and pointed out the sleeping places of the birds in the 300 year old live oak. We also made note of the guy who parked his car under the sleeping place of these large birds! Poor guy had some serious bird cleanup waiting for him!

Also on her tip spotted a pair of bald eagles crossing through Palmetto Dunes - they have a nest there.

Drove by Signe's in search of dessert other then pumpkin pie but they were nowhere to be found.

Went to Coligny Bakery but it is now Ronnie's Coligny Bakery - same as Ronnie's on 278 and we don't really care for this bakery.

Found Flamingo Doughnuts but they were closed.

Someone was protecting me from all those calories, I guess.

Saw the sunrise each morning on the beach. I never tire of this view!

Talked to Mike the Pool Guy! He told me that he and his son just recently discovered the mother lode of all fishing holes with the biggest fish! Would that be a fish tale?

B'Lou entertained us in the lodge one night with his tales of haints and ghosts. I always enjoy B'Lou's stories but now he's taken to requesting applause. B'Lou - if you are reading, we appreciate you but I think the clapping kind of detracts from the mood you have created. Leave us with spooky, funny and even eerie. We'll maybe need some sleep in the morning, but we'll remember you!

Drove up to another part of the beach that we go to off 278 and looked for sand dollars and sharks teeth. Another naturalist showed me this place years ago. We didn't find any teeth and didn't really want to carry anything away with us, just look at nature.

I took all the same pictures I've been taking for years. I love taking them but I don't upload them. Just take my card to CVS and stick it in the machine and print a few I like.

Question - how did you like Roastfish and Cornbread?

We just got home also. We drove down on friday afternoon. Loved the resort. I was totally prepared for the ejector sofas but they weren't too bad. Not really comfortable and the boys always slide the cushions off (but they do this at home also). The resort was absolutely beautiful! I was really hoping to hear B'lou and see shadow but he was only there this afternoon after we had already left. We missed out on the camp fire also and but we will be back so it is ok.

We took the beach nature walk with Sandy on sat afternoon. She was great. The funniest part was my husband walked along the front of the side area. She had said to stay more towards the top because some areas were really slippery and deep and slimy. My husband found out first hand about the marsh muck. It was hilarious!:rotfl2: He was and is a good sport about it all though. My youngest asked Sandy a million questions and She was great about answering them.

Spoke with a couple of ladies on the pier friday night as we were watching the blue heron in the marsh. And another couple on the pier while my boys were fishing. Everyone was really nice there. I should be asking if people are on the Dis. :lmao:

needless to say, we had a fabulous weekend trip and my husband is hooked and loves it there. I think we found our add on place when we are ready. :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the wonderful TRs. We stayed at HHI in the summer of 2009 and had a nice time...my DH fell in love with the place. We are also thinking of adding on HH points and I'd love to use them for Thanksgiving next year. I have 1 question...what was the weather like...could you swim in the pool...how was it on the beach? Thanks!

We just got back as well. We were there from Wednesday till Sunday in 1216. We have stayed in this villa several times and just love the location. We did a whole lot of nuthin'...reading, sleeping, shopping, and dining out. ( Sea Shack, Dye's Gullah Fixin's and One Hot Mama's). We actually cooked Thanksgiving dinner in our villa and loved every bite. Next time we will bring a few additional pots and pans to make things easier.

Can't wait for next year!!!

Linda

Question - how did you like Roastfish and Cornbread?

We loved Roastfish and Cornbread. Their sweet potato fries are the BEST! Last time we were there at 5:30 pm and there was a long line, so this time we went around 4:00, and there was only one other family.
Photos as soon as I find the cord to upload them.

Wishing we were there!

Please send pictures.

I finally found my cord to download pictures, so bear with me while I thrill:rotfl: you with photos-

The Ejecto-couch-

014.jpg

Our villa-

005.jpg

A visit with Shadow-

027.jpg

The Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn (I think that's the name)-beautiful-

020.jpg

Enjoyed your TR. Glad you had a great time. We're stopping at HHI for the first time in February on our way home from WDW and can't wait to stay there! :banana:

"Talked to Mike the Pool Guy! He told me that he and his son just recently discovered the mother lode of all fishing holes with the biggest fish! Would that be a fish tale?"

Mike is a great guy. He's from the area (Savannah) and knows mostly what he's talking about :)

Is Frank the Egret still hanging out on the pier?

Frank, THAT'S his name! I couldn't remember and although I asked him, he wouldn't tell me;)-

036.jpg

"Talked to Mike the Pool Guy! He told me that he and his son just recently discovered the mother lode of all fishing holes with the biggest fish! Would that be a fish tale?"

Mike is a great guy. He's from the area (Savannah) and knows mostly what he's talking about :)

Is Frank the Egret still hanging out on the pier?

The tides were extremely high and at times Frank had no choice but to get up out of the grasses.

Mike tells great stories and I enjoy him tremendously!

We were also down at HH for Thanksgiving week. It was our first time staying on the Island and we had a great time. We did a lot of nothing also. We went shopping, went to the movies in Bluffton, ate in a lot of new restaurants and went to Savannah one day.

We LOVED Skull Creek Boathouse and One Hot Mama's. Frankie Bones was fine but we prefered the other two establishments more. We also went to Main St Cafe, it was fine, nothing outstanding but good. Also hit San Miguel's our first night and enjoyed being able to walk to and from the hotel.

My only complaints with the hotel was the couch! Oh my, that was an amazing experience...:) Ours was really bad and we ended up watching TV as a family in the master bedroom most evenings.

We enjoyed the activities we did, esp the marsh walk.

Its a great resort, nicer than Vero in my opinion, and I'm sure we will return again.

MsA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter