Texas Info????

tinkermell

<font color=purple>Th boards are going nuts!<br><f
Any Texans out there???? I need some Texas info for next month!!!! Kind of a last minute trip. :yay: We will be in San Antonio and the Hill Country mostly. Of course we will be touring San Antonio and Schlitterbans in New Braunfels. What I'd like to know is...do you think Fredericksburg is worth the time, or something else in the Hill Country. I heard that Bandera is cool and so is Boerne. This is what I was thinking... go to the waterpark during the day and then bunking down in some cool, dude ranchey place nearby. We wouldn't have time to ride horses or anything like that. So I don't want to pay for that extra. I'd just like the atmosphere and the country feel of something like that. I'd also love to go to a real dance hall, and see some local stuff that same night. So is there something close by that fits the bill????
And then on our drive home back to California, should we still make a stop in Fredericksburg?? And how long should we allow there if we do???
Also, is there a good tour of San Antonio?? Is the Riverwalk water tour good?? Or should we do the carriage ride tour?? My favorites usually are walking tours. :tiptoe: Are there any of these offered there??

Thanks so much!! And if there is any thing else we should do, let me know!!! :goodvibes

Oh, and it would be me, :tinker: my DH, :drive: and our DD 13. princess:

Any Texans out there???? I need some Texas info for next month!!!! Kind of a last minute trip. :yay: We will be in San Antonio and the Hill Country mostly. Of course we will be touring San Antonio and Schlitterbans in New Braunfels. What I'd like to know is...do you think Fredericksburg is worth the time, or something else in the Hill Country. I heard that Bandera is cool and so is Boerne. This is what I was thinking... go to the waterpark during the day and then bunking down in some cool, dude ranchey place nearby. We wouldn't have time to ride horses or anything like that. So I don't want to pay for that extra. I'd just like the atmosphere and the country feel of something like that. I'd also love to go to a real dance hall, and see some local stuff that same night. So is there something close by that fits the bill????
And then on our drive home back to California, should we still make a stop in Fredericksburg?? And how long should we allow there if we do???
Also, is there a good tour of San Antonio?? Is the Riverwalk water tour good?? Or should we do the carriage ride tour?? My favorites usually are walking tours. :tiptoe: Are there any of these offered there??

Thanks so much!! And if there is any thing else we should do, let me know!!! :goodvibes

Oh, and it would be me, :tinker: my DH, :drive: and our DD 13. princess:
Tinkermel, I lived in NB for 8 years (& worked in SA). I've got a couple "things to do in NB" & "things to do in SA" & "things to do in Austin" pages when i was active on another travel board that might be helpful.

My email is bill@360lendinggroup.com if you want me to send them to you.

Regarding some of your questions.

- Boerne - an old town, but now an upscale suburb of SA. Not alot to do there.

- New Braunfels - VISIT ON A WEEKDAY!!! I would recommend spending 1-2 nights in NB. In addition to Schlitterbahn (which is mobbed on weekends). There are two rivers that are a blast to float (or toob) down. Drunk kids on the beautiful Guadalupe River & familys toob the pretty Comal River. (Do Sbahn one day & go toobing the other day).

Also in NB, is the town of Gruene which should NOT be missed. (The oldest dance hall in Texax is there. I saw the Dixie Chicks (before they were big), Steve Earle, Willie, Joe Ely & several other bands there). also the Gristmill in Gruene.

NB also has a beautiful small town downtown, city park, & the Newcomb Tennis Ranch (where top kiddos often train).

- San Antonio - I've got lots of tips & thoughts (depending on what you guys want to do). History? Golf? Parks? Touristy stuff? Restaurants (what type)?

- Fburg - To me Fburg is REAL touristy (you're in Central Ca......think Solvang). Yes it's worth seeing. (but is overated) A neat TOURISTY main street. the Nimitz Museum (if you're a WW2 buff). A couple of winerys nearby (but not as good as Central CA).

Two places not to miss near Fburg (if you plan a day trip or stop by on the way in or out):

Luckenbach - a tiny burg (kinda like Gruene).

& Enchanted Rock - climb to the top (easy climb) for a view for a view of the Hill Country for miles around.

Send me an email if interested in detailed info (that i've already put together...kinda like Hydroguys's info pages).

hound (aka Bill)

& yes the boat ride down the SA river is a must. It's cheap & fun. Not sure of "walking tours" but I'm sure there are some.

(have you already gotten a hotel in SA??)

& yes the boat ride down the SA river is a must. It's cheap & fun. Not sure of "walking tours" but I'm sure there are some.

(have you already gotten a hotel in SA??)
Hound, just got back from a water ski trip. :cool2: Thanks for responding!! I sent you an e-mail.

No hotel picked out yet. All suggestions highly appreciated!!! :yay:

I just noticed your location still says Austin, Texas. Didn't you move to California??????????:confused3

For a trip to SA AND NB (with Schlitterbahn included). I highly recommend spending a minimum of 2 nights in a motel/hotel/condo at/near Schlitterbahn (New Braunfels). Think Disneyland....you'll want to go early, take a break and go late. Also there are a dozen things worth doing / seeing in and around this neat historic town.

Regarding San Antonio. Another min. two nights (so you can USE your hotel) but as much as 4 nights. Two choices really. Either downtown on/near the Riverwalk.....or out near SeaWorld/Fiesta Texas.

There are pros & cons to both (that we can discuss) depending on:

- How long will you be in SA / NB?

- What do you guys want to do? SeaWorld? Fiesta Texas? Schlitterbahn? Golf?

(& how many days for each?)

- Dude Ranch/Horseback riding? Parks/hiking etc? History stuff touring?

What do you guys like to or what do you guys think you'd like to try and how long do you want to do these things?

Regarding Lodging:

On/Near the Riverwalk:

Deluxe - the Westin. Deluxe/cool/historic - La Mansion.

Cool/Historic & an amazing value one block off the Riverwalk & next door to both the Alamo & the Plaza & the Rivercenter Mall - The Menger (my favorite)

Another cool/historic one block off the Riverwalk near great restaurants is the Guenther Hotel. (I think a Sheraton)

Next to SeaWorld - Deluxe - Hyatt Hill Country. Better value but very nice - Raddison.

Next to Fiesta Texas & a full scale resort & deluxe - La Cantera (ITS A WESTIN).

- also next Fiesta Texas are a dozen of La Quinta type motels.

Lots of options in NB:

In NB - historic tiny hotel - the Faust Hotel in downtown NB

Historic B&B (owned by a guy who reminds me of Nathan Lane) downtown - the Prince Solms Inn (both are walking distance to Schlitterbahn & the Comal Float).

(remember downtown NB is a quaint turn of the century downtown)

Next to Gruene Hall / Gristmill are two B&Bs. The Gruene Mansion Inn & the Gruene Apple Inn (new & my mother loved).

(Gruene is 3 miles (6 minutes) from downtown NB/Schlitterbahn.)

If Schlitterbahn is the focus, there are also condos for rent.

All hotels/motels/B&Bs above charge more on weekends than during the week. But New Braunfels in particular gets crazy crowded (& jacks up the rates) on sunny weekends (think Disneyland).

It's only 40 min. from SA, 60 min. from Austin and 2 hours from Houston.

Read up, let me know what days of week you want to do what, how many days you want to do stuff & I'll make recommendations.

Regarding Fredericksburg or Dude Ranch/Horseback Riding.....I would look at these items as "day trip" type things & can be done from SA (or NB).

The drives in the Hill Country are nice (& the drive out to FBurg), but can be enjoyed on your way into SA/NB or on your way back to the west.

hound :)

Hound has some great ideas for you. One I would like to add is the Natural Bridge Caverns which are between New Braunfels and San Antonio - very nice caves and very interesting tours. One of my favorite Texas caves.

Also, I second the Menger hotel in San Antonio - right across the street from the Alamo and full of history!

Also, a few suggestions for Schlitterbahn - go early. There are three parks within Schlitterbahn. I suggest going to Blastenhoff first and ride the Masterblaster before you ride anything else. It is one of the top water slides in the country and the line can get very long as the day goes on. They let people into the park before it actually opens and people line up there first. Get that out of the way and then go to the other parks from there.

Have a blast!

Hi Bill and Julie,
Just got back today from our trip.
We had a wonderful time, and of course could have used a little more time. :cool1:

We ended up staying at the La Mansion, and LOVED it. Our room looked over the Riverwalk and all of the happenings. Never was bothered by the taffic or Riverwalk noise. Our room was lovely, and the sevice was great. Saw the IMAX movie of the Alamo, and my DH commented on how everyone in the US should see that to appreciate what happened. I cried.....:sad1:
We then toured the Alamo and all surroundings. Went and had Mango Ice Cream at the Menger and spent a little time exploring. A truly gorgeous hotel, but glad we picked the La Mansion. ( I liked the southwestern feel and the location better.) Spent some time shopping at the Market. It poured rain off and on us. We were lucky. More on that later.

After San Antonio, we went to New Braunfels and Gruene. Loved Gruene and stayed at the Apple Inn. Very nice and yummy breakfast. I'll have to say that because of the rainfall, the weather was cooler, but the humidity was awful. And dead crikets everywhere. Yuck!!! Is that normal???? The Guadalupe River was almost over the bridge we went over. :eek: I felt bad for the river rafting and tubing companies. Only a few people were rafting, and that looked harem scarem to me. Bought a few antiques in Gruene and went to the Gruene Hall. How fun!! We were lucky, and saw the McCoy Brothers playing. Didn't get to go rafting of course and only saw Schlitterbans from a distance. Our daughter wasn't with us, so we decided to skip it and do more sight seeing along the way.

Had a beautiful ride through the hill country, walked Fredericksburg, and found a true life BBQ on the side of the road and had lunch up the way at a rest stop. Now this is what traveling on the road is all about. Finding gems like that. The place we stopped to picnic at, had sooooooooooooo many locusts that we thought there were rainbird sprinklers going on behind the trees. :lmao: Honestly, I've never heard anything like that in my life.:scared1: I was kind of scared to get out of the truck. :rotfl2: I thought they just might carry me away. But they were only in the trees, which were next to us, not hanging right over our heads. Had beef brisket and chicken on butcher paper. Yum!!! My DH Dave LOVES to BBQ, so it was cool we found this place. He also found Antique stores with lots of Gasoline and Oil signs. He loves to collect them.

Back to the rainy part. I guess the day after we left New Braunfels, 8 inches of rain fell the next day. Well let me tell you...... This California girl wouldn't know what to do with that kind of rain fall. We get only 8-9 inches of rain a year where we live.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus I'm assuming that with that rainfall comes thunder and lightning????? Which I can't stand. So you probably think I am a wuss. Yep I am.:scared1: :eek: :scared1: I've been in some pretty bad storms back east, even in a tonado warning. Give me my earthquakes I say!!!! :rotfl: (Cute story....in 2000 we were in Savannah Georgia, and my other DD was trying to figure out where to go to college. Got caught in a terrible storm while touring the town, and have never seen her so scared. She had always been the type to be very independent, and never get phased by anything. She had always been very confident...........until then. We were trying to get back to our campground. The thunder and lightning was going off every second. It was bad!!!!!!!!!!! Finally got back safely, and from then on, she decided that she would never live or go to school back there. :lmao:)
Amen to that!!!! :cheer2: Us Mamas like our children around us forever you know!!! :rolleyes1

OK time for bed. I am still on Texas time. Talk later................

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! This rain is very unusual for us. Usually our summers are hot and dry, not hot and wet! The crickets and locusts are pretty typical for the hill country - we don't get them quite as bad down here in Houston. But I recently read somewhere that the locusts are especially bad every 19 years and this would be year 19. I noticed them when I was in San Antonio about a month ago. I'm glad you had fun!

Glad you had fun, & am glad you enjoyed your two lodging choices.

I agree with Julie. The weather is very unusual. Normally there are hundreds (thousands) of "toobers" on the rivers. Because of the high rainfall, no toobing allowed. (only raft trips) On the news last week, they reported a death from someone who got caught under the very bridge you're talking about.

Regarding the crickets....I've never seen them before, but I understand they're out because of all the rain. Regarding the noise from the trees, those probably were cicadas (sp?) aka katy dids etc. They're harmless, but make a racket in the summer.

BBQ on butcher paper. :banana: In Central Texas, that's fine dining. :thumbsup2

Tell us where else you ate & what else you did when you get a chance.

Glad you're back safe.

hound - :hippie:

Thanks for the nice homecoming welcome. :grouphug:

Yes we did have a wonderful time. The first 3 days spent in Texas, were with our friends from Ozona. We spent one night there and then they took us to their lakefront home at Lake Amistad. She fixed shrimp boil for us there. Now don't sound too suprised. We love shrimp and usually BBQ it, ( I have a killer recipe if you are interested), or we just quick boil in plain water. So anyways, she boils the water and adds shrimp boil. What's that I ask?????
Shrimp boil. Never had heard of it. So today, while I was stocking up on groceries again, I looked for it, and loan and behold the store had it. I was so excited. We're going camping this next week. ( I know we are going away again, but this is our family tradition vacation at the beach by Santa Barbara. I know you would appreciate that Bill, since you like the California coast). Anyways, that is on the menu along with homemade cocktail sauce. Yum!!!!!! Might even throw some taters in the pot. What say you???
Moving on................On our way in New Mexico, on Friday the 13th,:laughing: , Dave got a speeding ticket, and not 5 minutes later his power steering and everything else connected to that belt went out. So there we were in Lordsburg, trying to get it fixed. Well thankfully there was a Ford Dealer there, and they had the belt. So it was fixed................. we thought. Went one block, and "bam" it happened again. It was already closing time for the dealer. So Dave got our truck into a fairly nice hotel, and there we stayed hoping and praying that the dealer could fix it again. Dave knew that the big pulley was broken this time, and we needed that part. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!! Well he was up and ready to go at the dealers by 7:30 the next morning, breathing down their necks, to see if they had the part. No go...........................but they had just gotten in a "trade-in" the day before, and they were willing to take the pulley off that truck for our truck. How cool was that????????????? So by 11:00am, we were on the road again. About 4 hours behind, but do-able. We were in Ozona by 7:30pm, with a wonderful chicken dinner waiting for us.

Where we ate in San Antonio??? Acenar, very eclectic and good Mexican food. This was the La Mansion's concierge suggestion. Casa Rio, under the bridge for lunch, fortunately when a huge rain storm hit. Paesano's and their shrimp dish. Mi Tierra and a bunch of pastries. Super good coffee there. I should have gone back and asked them what kind it was. It's probably the best coffee I've had in years. The only other coffee I remember being out of this world, used to be served at the DLH. I remember trying to buy it from them then, but it was a no go. Anyways if you know what kind it is from Mi Tierra, would you let me know if I can get some?????We stayed 2 nights in San Antonio and one night in Gruene. We ate at the Gristmill. Yummy!!!!!!!!!! Except for the crickets. :scared:

On our way home we stayed in Big Springs at the Holiday Inn Express. Very nice, and ate at the KC Steakhouse. Very good place to eat. From then on, it was get home, although when we saw something interesting, we would stop. We went on all minor highways until we got to Hollbrook, Arizona on Interstate 40. We wanted to see Laughlin NV, so that is why we took that route. Well............. just have to say, we won't bother again. :headache:
During our trip we listened to 20 hours of Clive Cussler's stories. Very intertaining. That sure helps, when it is endless miles of desert. :rolleyes1

Sounds like you had a blast Mel.!! I cant believe you passed up Sclitterbahn! I was looking forward to your review!:sad2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter