Teva, Keen or what else?

Momma2PrinceNPrinces

DIS Veteran
Looking at the Teva Tirra, Teva Hurricane, Keen Whisper or Keen Newport. Any thoughts? Suggestion on others I haven't mentioned?

I wore keen whispers last year in June, for 6 full days of the parks and ended up with three blisters, that didn't really surface till the end of our trip, but my shoes were a half size too big, so I think that was part of it. I now have a pair that fit properly and I love them, because they stay on my feet but also breathe a little and don't look weird without socks.

We are a Keen Whisper family. We love them - we go in August, so the lightweight, air-circulation, waterproofnes, and support are a must. The Keens do it for us - even our kiddos (dd8 and ds12.) Flip-flops just don't cut it with all the walking and socks and gym shoes :eek: - our feet would just sweat right off our legs. I know a pp said they got blisters from Keens, but we've never gotten a blister yet. Our kids get new ones every year and we wear ours until they wear out.

We have Keen Newports, and have been wearing them at WDW since last Wednesday. No problems at all, and I'm glad we got them. DH has an old pair of Teva sandals he has worn some too, and they have done well. He said the Keens are more comfortable but the Tevas are probably six years old.

Bernie Mevs. I discovered them last summer. Alternated 2 pairs for an entire week at WDW and my feet weren't even tired at the end of the day. I just wore them last week for our DL trip. We were there 3 full days and 2 half days. We were in the parks for 15 hours straight with no breaks on one day, and then we turned around and did 14 hours straight with no breaks the next day. My feet weren't even tired at the end of either of those days. That is pretty unheard of for me. No blisters either, but I haven't gotten a blister since I started using body glide- and I'm very blister prone. My favorite Berni Mevs are the Comfi style. The only thing with them is that you don't want your very first wear to be in the parks. The first time you wear them, the strap across your foot might hurt a little after the first few hours if you wear them a long time. Your second wear it will be stretched out to conform to your foot and it will feel perfect. You may or may not need to go up a size in them. Occasionally they can run a little small. We just discovered last week that they make children's sizes (unfortunately it was after we left DL). We got DD (7) a pair, and she hasn't worn anything else since.

I saw another post talking about Skechers Go Walks being great at Disney. I am trying to figure out which to get us before our Sept Trip... I think I am between those Skechers and the Keens, but would love to hear input from people who have tried out both!

I also like my Keen Whispers. Money saving tip... if you have smaller feet, buy a kid's size. You just go down 2 sizes from your women's size. So for me, I go from 6.5 to 4.5 in kids. I got mine on Amazon for $37- what a steal!

Keen Venice. It's a little more open than the Whispers and also comes in a waterproof H2 style.

I LOVE my Keen Whispers and my dh and ds12 swear by the Newport H2. I am ok with the womens Newport, but I generally wear shoes that are narrower, and I have issues with the Newport just like I have issues with wide base running shoes. I also have a pair of Venice, and I don't like them at all; they just hit wrong on my feet. So I guess the moral is: buy what fits well on your own foot. A tip: I have to go up a half size in all Keens, which will affect what size you get.

I have never worn a pair of Teva full sandals, but I just bought myself two more pair of Olowahus today. I LOVE them, and have worn them through the parks as well.

So, try it all on and try to figure out what works best for your specific feet.

I am a Keen fanatic but the Whispers didn't do it for me. I found them VERY uncomfortable. Not much arch support and so many straps one of them cut across my foot at a funny angle and it hurt after awhile.

I LOVE (did I mention I love?) Keen St. Barts. They are discontinued now but you can still find them in a few places on the internet and on Ebay. As a second choice, I also like the Venice style but I find the St Barts even more comfortable. The Bali style has the identical sole/foot bed to the St Barts, but it is more of a flip flop.

Had some Keen Newports and they were uncomfortable from day 1. I tried to get them to wear in over time but never got the point where they were comfortable and wouldn't give me blisters. My dog decided they were a good chew toy and I wound up buy some Tevas which seem to be much better.

Maybe I have weird feet because people seem to worship their Keens.

Chris

Had some Keen Newports and they were uncomfortable from day 1. I tried to get them to wear in over time but never got the point where they were comfortable and wouldn't give me blisters. My dog decided they were a good chew toy and I wound up buy some Tevas which seem to be much better.

Maybe I have weird feet because people seem to worship their Keens.

Chris

My kids must have weird feet as well. They HATE their keens. I think they have the newports :confused3 They literally complain every time I try to get them to wear them. I just never bought myself any because of the price.

We bought Keen Newports for our current trip. We've been wearing them in the parks over the past week with no problems. All 3 kids say they are comfortable. They have been great for the rain.

I bought a pair of Merrell Jacardia sandals for our 11day trip in May. I absolutely LOVED them! I wore them for 10 days in the parks and had no blisters or even sore feet! I wore another pair of sandals for 1 day and my feet were killing me by noon. I loved the Merrell Jacardia sandals so much I just ordered a pair in black. Now I will have a brown and black pair for my trip in 11 days! They are expensive ,but definitely worth the money. I actually plan on buying 2 more pairs by the end of the year just to put up in my closet for when the 2 I have wear out :)

I've worn my Teva Tirras for a full week in the parks, plus to Typhoon Lagoon. . .LOVED them! My daughter and I practically live in them all summer. (I have plantar fasciitis, and no heel pain with them!)

Another vote for Teva Tirra's. Bought a pair for me, and combined with Body Glide every day, I did not have any issues with blisters or pressure points. The one day, DH did not use the Body Glide before we left for the parks, he had a red area on his foot, that I covered with moleskin for the day. Once he returned to the Body Glide on the feet, no more issues. Worked great, wet or dry!

The Tevas are super comfy for my wide feet, and I had a bout of Plantar fasciatis last summer. No problems thus far, this year. And now that the trip is over :sad2::sad2: I am wearing them nearly every day, even to work in an office setting. Last summer I loved my Orthaheels, but this summer, I am loving the Tevas. They are just not as pretty as my Orthaheels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter