Test Track and Star Tours for non thrill ride 4 year old?

Walker24

Earning My Ears
My 4 year old will be 40" on our next trip. He's not really into roller coasters and last time had no interest in Barnstormer or Seven Dwarfs. He's REALLY into star wars and cars. How is test track in terms of "fun" feel of car vs roller coaster and would star wars be too much? If he does start to feel off during star wars does closing your eyes help?

Test Track is pretty flat, sharp turns, quick accelerations/decelerations, and a 65 mph finale loop around the racetrack. My kids were all fine with it as soon as they were tall enough.
Star Tours is a motion simulator that is very jerky. I get motion sickness from it so if I do ride, I keep my eyes closed the entire time and I'm fine.

My 4 year old will be 40" on our next trip. He's not really into roller coasters and last time had no interest in Barnstormer or Seven Dwarfs. He's REALLY into star wars and cars. How is test track in terms of "fun" feel of car vs roller coaster and would star wars be too much? If he does start to feel off during star wars does closing your eyes help?
Lol! I guess it must depend on the kid. My kids were the opposite. I could never figure out why Star Tours had that height requirement as it always seemed pretty mellow to me, and apparently my kids. My daughter had to wait outside while my sons did 4 Star Tours rides back to back. They LOVED it and they hate ALL thrill rides, even small log flume rides. Now my kids do have sensory issues, so any sudden or unexpected movements scare them. I guess they were ok with ST because it was all small movements? They are ok with dizzy rides as well. The most "thrill" they enjoyed was Maelstrom last time we were there. We tried Test Track and my one son (7 at the time) was hiding under my poncho with his head on my lap! It was way too fast and made him feel insecure I guess.

One of my boys has sensory issues as well and really dislikes coasters. He did much better on Test Track than he did on Star Tours when we last went at age 6. I think the fact that you can see where you're going helped. I was surprised as I always thought Star Tours was pretty easy, so it's hard to guess how they'll respond!

When my ds was that young he was a SW fanatic and hated Star Tours. He loved Test Track.

My son was 5 when he went and he was not a massive fan of 7DMT or Barnstormer but loved both Star Tours (he's a massive Star Wars Fan) and loved Test Track

Test track - take him out on the highway in a convertible with the top down - then you'll basically know if he will like it, LOL.

Star Tours - it's fun but jerky. My DH who gets motion sickness can only ride it once (AFTER taking dramamine).

Something to keep in mind is you might want to sit your son in the middle seat on Test Track. I made the mistake of sitting my son (age 3 at the time) on the outside. The outside seats have shoulder belts as well as the lap belt. This definitely impacted his ride experience. Next time I am sitting him in the middle where there is only the lap belt.

I never get the worries about test track...to me it's no faster or more violent/scary than riding in the car. Of course not everyone lives where there are twisty dirt roads on mountains like I do.

We did both when we took our daughter at age 4 and she liked them both. On TT, I laughed hard for most of the ride because her poor little head started dipping down and she couldn't lift it for the rest of the ride - I assume this has something to do with the speed vs her strength. She wasn't hurt and she was laughing the entire time, but if we do it again, I'll be sure to tell her to look straight ahead! :)

Test track - take him out on the highway in a convertible with the top down - then you'll basically know if he will like it, LOL.

Star Tours - it's fun but jerky. My DH who gets motion sickness can only ride it once (AFTER taking dramamine).

I described TT like this to my DS for his first ride and he ended up loving it...Now it's his favorite ride at Epcot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter