Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
psac said:
How about they get rid of the whole autograph thing completely. That would really speed things up in the lines, and prevent incidents like this. Pictures make sense. Autographs? nahh.

Nah! Then those people would be in the ride lines!

I am a little bit offended that I cannot post an opinion "siding" with a Disney employee without somehow becoming a "Disney Apologist". I just cannot understand why discussing the issues that a character who is filly encapsulated in a thick costume that blocks sight and hearing is wrong. I just do not.I kept my opinions to myself in regards to the order of how things should occur and who I thought was the "regimented" one in the OP's family but what the heck. Just from the OP's first post with the detailed order I figure that he was just as invested, if not more so, in getting the signature first.

By all means, write Disney. If there is supposed to be an order, let's make sure there is never a deviation. No more spontaneous pranks with Donald or Goofy. No more posing like twins if a child is wearing her Minnie dress. No more Cinderella dragging a shy Grandpa to pose in her photo like Prince Charming, all to get another giggle from a shy little Princess. And if the character fails to follow the protocol.......off with her Head.............literally!

I have no idea what really happened here, I bet the character was not really aware what was happening and he handler was just trying to explain what the character had tried to do to the OP. The kid was crying and the OP was peeved and before anyone could correct the problem the OP hauled the family away, thus ensuring the "sour" taste would never be rectified. He and the child left.

I have been taking DGD to Disney since she was 4 and while I cannot claim that she has the experience the 2 YO had I can say she was a character hound. WE spent more time in lines and meals than we did on attractions and we loved every minute. Not all interactions were as spectacular as others but I can honestly say that some of our favorites were the ones that just took off. Pluto chasing her all around the AK parking lot was just one that never followed any procedure we had ever seen but she is talking about it 7 years later. I would hate to see a hard and fast rule characters need to maintain in Order to keep from losing a job. I also would hate to think that if the problem that the OP experienced happened because the character and handler were never given an opportunity to process what was occurring, changes such as firings and increased rigidity happen. I love Disney becasue of the unexpected, it is the magic for my family. I do not expect perfection, it does not exist.

How about they get rid of the whole autograph thing completely. That would really speed things up in the lines, and prevent incidents like this. Pictures make sense. Autographs? nahh.

When my own children were young we took them to WDW. This was 25 years ago and there were no autographs in the parks. It was a cluster. I know that you are probably teasing about the autographs but they really make a difference for a lot of children's experiences.

Do you know what happens when someone posts something on a public forum? People will comment. People will voice opinions. Some of them will be "opposing views", whether the OP wanted them or not. That's what public forums are for. You may not like what you read all the time, but it's the nature of the beast. You may disagree with the substance of a contrary response. But being outraged over the very existence of a dissenting opinion is naive at best.

Did I sound outraged? I didn't mean to sound outraged. Maybe disappointed would be a better word.

I'm not sure exactly how someone "opposes" a person's experience. The OP had what they perceived to be a bad experience. There's not really a lot of opposition there. Can't tell them that they shouldn't feel a particular way. Did you read the story? I mean, dang, that would stink to have had that happen.

I thought several of the peoples comments that didn't particularly understand why the OP was so upset, or were confused about some of the OP's wording (as I was), were understandable. Maybe you don't even think Disney did anything wrong. Okay, fine, no problem. But, man, there were a LOT of people just being outright mean and really rough on OP. I'm surprised that you can't see that.

And there's no reason for that - its irrational defense of Disney - apologist-style. Not everyone who posted in "opposition" of the OP acted this way - but there is surely an unfair amount of piling on a person for merely sharing their experience. I don't know, seems pretty plain to me.

If you are personally offended, and feel that I called you a bad name, know that I'm ONLY directing that title of apologist to those who unfairly and without regard to their fellow human being, defend Disney no matter the circumstance, without a full understanding, when its not asked for, and typically in an inexplicably arrogant and often rude fashion. There were several on this thread. If you're not one, don't worry about it - no disrespect intended.

It wasn't a "baseless condemnation" - there were 9 pages of "base".

And for the record, I'm not even close to one-sided - I stated quite clearly in my original post that in reading the OP, there appear to be some issues on both sides.

I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.

I never did autographs but I would not be happy if Mickey took an autograph book from a two year old and hid it behind his back. Older kids might laugh but many two year olds would cry. If a family wants autographs that is what Mickey should give them. The handler shouldn't insist on a picture if that is what the family wants.

I did not read every single response. But I feel children under five maybe are not so ready for the autograph books (too many things going on at once) when greeting the characters. Our DS's first trip was at 4 1/2 years old we did not introduce the autograph books until he was 6 closer to 7. Their understanding of time, patience & random interaction with others( a world outside themselves) is not at a certain level yet( think school age children are in the middle of learning those social interaction). Kiss Mickey, Smile for photo on to the next thing is best for a child under 5 at WDW. Just a tip for trying to save parents of the WDW melt down. Been There done that:eek:

Well considering you were second in line maybe there could have been some flexibility on the CM's part. They could have possibly been setting up how they wanted things to go for the day as in THEIR routine. Unfortunately since you where second in line you didn't get to see the pattern that was to be set up whether it be book first, then picture, or vice versa.
If you would have been farther back in line and you saw it was picture first, then autograph would it still be an issue? Or would you and your children adapted to the change of routine?

...Mickey hiding the book behind his back? Oh, heck no! When my son was 2, if anyone pulled something like that with his fav item of the day - it was on like Donkey Kong!

As I said to my nephew that had a Disney complaint " If this is the worst that happens to you then you are doing ok"
. Right on.

I think that often times we need to put things into perspective.

This is not a tragedy. This is a mild irritation, and a teachable moment. I think if everyone worked a little harder at seeing the big picture, we'd have a happier, less-entitled, more peaceful society.

Honestly, I wish the OP would post an instructional video so those of us with kids can teach them how to interact with costumed characters in an autograph setting. This is ground-breaking stuff!

Step One: Walk up to the character with your pen and autograph book ready.
Step Two: Hand the pen and book to the character.
Step Three: When the character is finished, retain your pen and book.
Step Four: Hug and/or kiss the character
Step Five: Leave, waving happily.

Disclaimer: It is possible things may not be done in this order, in that event please irrationally remove yourself from the situation. As it will likely ruin your entire vacation.

Second Disclaimer: It is also likely the character may taunt your child or you, in an attempt to worsen your experience.

Honestly, I wish the OP would post an instructional video so those of us with kids can teach them how to interact with costumed characters in an autograph setting. This is ground-breaking stuff!

Disclaimer: It is possible things may not be done in this order, in that event please irrationally remove yourself from the situation. As it will likely ruin your entire vacation.

Second Disclaimer: It is also likely the character may taunt your child or you, in an attempt to worsen your experience.

Sounds like the Soup Nazi. Just don't ask for extra bread.

By all means, write Disney. If there is supposed to be an order, let's make sure there is never a deviation. No more spontaneous pranks with Donald or Goofy. No more posing like twins if a child is wearing her Minnie dress. No more Cinderella dragging a shy Grandpa to pose in her photo like Prince Charming, all to get another giggle from a shy little Princess. And if the character fails to follow the protocol.......off with her Head.............literally!

I wonder if this would even make everyone happy. Actually, I know it wouldn't because then people would all moan about how Disney doesn't do anything fun and magical anymore!

Op--You are not a bad parent. However, you did over-react. And a letter or e-mail to Disney is not called for. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, and go on with your life. And vow that next time you go to WDW you will not take things so seriously. Disney is for letting loose and having fun! Not everything you do has to follow a step by step action plan. When they tell you Mickey wants the picture first say OK!

I think this IS the problem. Parents go around making things so perfectly perfect for their kids all the time that jr. can't deal when things don't go his way! Kids that realize early on the world doesn't revolve around them will be much better suited to deal with issues when they come up than ones who have lived with the delusion that everything is supposed to be fair and perfect all the time. Parents who pave the way for their kids and make sure they see no injustice are not doing them a favor!

I do believe the pp who posted this was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was!

Yes and if at 2 years old the kids was smart enough to realize the order of things in just a few short days then he is smart enough to understand when or if his parents explained to him that there was going to be pictures first. It seems to me that maybe little snowy just needed a nap and if I worked in guest relations and a complaint like this came across my desk I would chat joke amongst my coworkers on how irrational parents/guest can be at times .

You messed up! After step three, OP indicates the child has to return the the pen and book to the parent. You get an D- instead of an F for effort.

I feel like such a chaotic parent in light of this, I never planned and/or discussed this protocol with my kids :-)

You messed up! After step three, OP indicates the child has to return the the pen and book to the parent. You get an D- instead of an F for effort.

I feel like such a chaotic parent in light of this, I never planned and/or discussed this protocol with my kids :-)

ER_ROR ER_ROR DOES NOT COMPUTE!!
hahaha, seriously - that's not a family, its a regime.

Yes me either and if my kid would have cried and thrown a fit over something small even at 2 he/she would had a few minutes on a bench to regroup themselves or back to the room for an obvious rest but I guess I suck as a parent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter