Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by meuseman, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golf4283

Golf4283 Mouseketeer

I think you're taking a pretty big leap from the order of meeting a character to the order that a meal is served. I understand you guys were upset by this but some reassurance from you and maybe some hard lessons learned for your kids will help them see that Mickey doesn't always do everything like a robot. There is some chaos involved sometimes.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

The way you acted, and leaving without the pics or autograph, probably upset your children more than anything.

The handler explained to you what *their* order was. Seems like you, and by extension, your children, need to learn that there are more ways to do things than one.

This just seems so petty. I don't think you would have a leg to stand on trying to make a big issue of it with Disney. Just go with the flow, relax and have a good time. Save the complaints for *real* issues. :confused3

4. Sparkly

Sparkly Starlight, starbright...

Are you kidding me? If a server brought out my dessert first, I would be delighted! Of course, I then wouldn't want my main meal, but I would consider it to be awesome.

5. ElCapitanAmerica

ElCapitanAmerica Earning My Ears

But this is not a formal dinner! This is interaction with a fictional character.

BTW, please don't even try to get pictures with Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope at HS! She likes to play jokes and goof around the camera. I'm trying to wonder how you would react to that character!!!

6. trainingupmy4princes

trainingupmy4princes Mouseketeer

I think kids should be able to be flexible if the parents are guiding them. Maybe if you had smiled and reassured them to take the pcture first. :confused3

7. WDSearcher

WDSearcher DIS Veteran

I imagine Mickey took the books because your kids handed them to him. He likely put them behind his back so that the books wouldn't be in the picture. Wouldn't your kids have been more upset if he hadn't taken the books when first offered?

And if I were at dinner and the server brought out dessert first, I'd ask why. And if he said, "That's how we're doing it today," I'd shrug and eat my dessert.

:earsboy:

8. MickeyMinnieMom

MickeyMinnieMom If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

This was my thought. I do understand toddlers and routines -- have been to WDW numerous times with two of my own. But usually if I assure them "it's ok - we can do it this way, too -- no problem!" and don't seem upset about it myself, that would take care of it for the kids.

Barring that reaction by parents, Mickey probably could have gone the extra mile to accommodate, though... And in my experience, he generally does. ;) As a pp said, a comment card might do wonders. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

9. meuseman

meuseman <font color=blue>Disney Parks Game Afficianado<br>

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm a bad parent as all of you are making me out to be.

My two year old son took his autograph book to Mickey, just like he has done dozens of times, including at Epcot the previous day and at Magic Kingdom the day before. The handler asked everyone to have their books out for signatures. Mickey took the book, and when my son asked for his autograph, Mickey shook his head no and put the book behind his back.

That will make a 2 year old cry. I intervened within 10 seconds, but the damage was done.

All that needed to happen was a signature, just like every other character interaction. However, at that point, after I asked Mickey to sign his book, the handler said, Mickey only signs after pictures. By that time, my son is sobbing, asking for a signature. A picture is worthless.

I didn't set these expectations. They were set by the hundreds of character interactions that my kids experienced before this one. My kids don't cry when King Louie can't sign their book. They don't cry when the characters stop at a table next to us at Chef Mickey's then leave for the dancing. They get that. This was different. Maybe I did a bad job of explaining. Maybe it was something you had to experience. But it was jarring enough for me to post because it was so out of the ordinary and affected my trip.

10. danceintherain

danceintherain DIS Veteran

I do agree that Mickey and friend could have adapted just as easily as you. However, you cannot control what others do, you can only control yourself. This is a classic tale of your routine clashing with someone else's. I'm sorry that your experience was less than stellar, but I expect you're probably more upset about this than your kids.

I have a 2 year old, and I'm not even convinced that he'll want to meet Mickey in April. I'll just be happy if he doesn't run screaming in the other direction.

11. BigPumba

BigPumba Earning My Ears

This depends on what is for dessert I have had some that were so bad I wouldn't want the even after the main course let alone before.

12. Golf4283

Golf4283 Mouseketeer

No one is saying you're a bad parent. We are just trying to explain different opinions on the subject.

Maybe your 2 year old was just on the brink of a meltdown and this tipped him over the edge and in any other situation he/she would have taken it with a grain of salt and moved on. We just don't know. We can only go by what we read and give our opinions.

My and many others opinion is that it wasn't wrong of the cast member to offer the photo first and autograph second. Would it have been nice if they accomadated you? yes. Do they have to? no probably not.

13. dkhillerud

dkhillerud Mouseketeer

Well I disagree with most posters. I think it is pretty pathetic that when a 2 year old was crying saying, "please sign my book" Mickey didn't just sign it!!

14. DisneyGal24

DisneyGal24 Always dreaming of Disney!

I would have been frustrated too. Apparently some of the other DISers have forgotten what it was like to have a two year old. It's hard to reason with a little one in a situation like that! Maybe it was a new Mickey or something!?:confused3 Regardless, I think your feelings are totally justified. No need for flaming...

15. J.C.&ALI'SMOM

J.C.&ALI'SMOM <font color=darkblue>I really had to bite my tongu

After hundreds and hundreds of character meets with our now 16 and 13 year olds, I never realized there was a certain order to the pic and signature. Flexibility is an important thing, especially with small children.

I think maybe you are making a little too much out of this. Two year olds will cry at the drop of a hat. The way we react to them makes all the difference. I guess I would have just let the 5 year old have the picture made and then got the books signed. If the two year old wanted to have a photo taken then, let him. If not, no biggie. You had pics taken with Mickey at other locations.

This is really one of those small things that should just be let go. If you let this thing really bug you, well, I just hope everything else goes perfectly.

16. J.C.&ALI'SMOM

J.C.&ALI'SMOM <font color=darkblue>I really had to bite my tongu

I haven't forgotten, and I know you can't reason with them :rotfl2:

17. Kellykins1218

Kellykins1218 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

18. Kellykins1218

LOL That's what I was thinking, too :rotfl2:

19. bytheblood

bytheblood Guest

I am sorry that your children were disappointed, but overall, I think this is a petty complaint and I imagine Disney Guest Services will be as well. Yes, they generally sign first, but for whatever reason, Mickey didn't want to. Kids (all kids) cannot always have it their way. This is when a parent needs to instruct your child to do something else and your child is supposed to obey.

I would imagine that your email to Disney will result in a canned response..... sorry about your horrible experience, we have passed your email along to the right people and we appreciate the feedback. I bet the person reading it will see it as another one of those "entitlement" emails and file it in the recycle bin. ;)

And for those doing the asking - yes, I have had a 2-year-old and I do recall what it was like. She was obedient and did as her daddy and I instructed. She is 15 and still does today. It is called teaching your child respect and that their are rules.

20. Kellykins1218

Have you ever worn a costume like that? I have, and you can barely see out of it let alone hear well. My handler hand to lean over & speak loudly directly into my ear sometimes because I couldn't tell what was going on.

21. starsweeper

starsweeper DIS Veteran

Sorry it threw your kids and they got upset but, frankly, I would never tell my kids it will always be autographs then pictures. That could change and did with this Mickey. :confused3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.