Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by meuseman, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLeFever

MsLeFever <font color=red><b>WPASADI II Co-Winner</b><br><fo

Maybe for your kids - but I have an autograph book from 1972 with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy! No set places to see them back then though - they just appeared!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NHKristy76

NHKristy76 Senior Mousketeer

THE absolute most important thing children must learn is how to "roll with the punches". Resiliency is a learned concept and I would suggest you actively pursue "teaching moments" like this one over and over!

Otherwise these kids will be spend the rest of their lives feeling like the world has done them wrong whenever the smallest change or hiccup occurs!

4. badblackpug

badblackpug <font color=blue>If you knew her you would be shoc

I've been to WDW multiple times with children ranging from infants to teens. I never knew, or noticed, that there was a protocol to autograph signing.

I am not out of touch with 2 year olds or their behavior, the youngest of my 4 just turned 3, so I'm pretty familiar.

According to the OP the mature 2 year old walked up to Mickey, handed him his autograph book, as he has done hundreds of times. He said very clearly and politely, "Please sign my autograph book." Within 10 seconds Mickey repeatedly refused to sign the book and then taunted the toddler by hiding his book, and reduced the poor wee mite to sobbing, and the child was removed from the situation by the irate parent. Within a time span of 10 seconds.

If my child was a sobbing crying disaster if he didn't get his way in 10 seconds it would be nap time. I'm pretty sure that if a 2 year old is reduced to "sobbing" in 10 seconds, the tantrum was in the works long before the evil mouse intervened.

My child's behavior wouldn't even register with me, I would chalk this up to tired or over-stimulated toddler. It certainly would never dawn on me to report this incident to guest services.

Now I will digress... what truly bothers me about this whole situation is the pettiness of it all. You are willing to jeopardize someone's job because your toddler didn't get what he wanted within 10 seconds. There are people who scrimp and save and sacrifice to give a once in a lifetime trip to WDW to their kids. There are people who travel with disabled and medically fragile children who are grateful that their children get a few hours in the park a day, during a once in a lifetime trip. The OP's children have been many, many times, and at the ripe old age of 2 are "experienced" WDW travelers, and they are complaining about a 10 second inconvenience their 2 year old had to endure.

Several months ago there was a young woman who posted, briefly, on the community board about being terminally ill and on hospice. Her thread was moved to the disabilities board, but it had a link to a trip report that she wrote. She was extremely medically fragile, and wrote, quite eloquently, about the obstacles she faced just being able to visit WDW. It was very humbling, and served as an excellent reminder of all the little things most of us take for granted on a daily basis.

It should be mandatory reading on the Dis.

5. bwang123

bwang123 Posts: 1,457,177,981

disney is already working on this... its called fastpass+. you may not have heard about it yet but if you search webcrawler or one of the other popular web search engines, you might find a small article.

6. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

I agree mickey acted like the two year old by hiding the book making the situation worse. I hope op calls and writes to complain

7. Baliezer

Baliezer DIS Veteran

I completely agree!:thumbsup2

8. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I have a question: Who is in charge at the meet and greets, the handler or the character or neither? Just wondering if Mickey has to do what his handler says, or not.

At any rate, the OP should have just had the picture taken and then the books signed. This is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill. Say to your child "Mickey wants the picture first" and have the picture taken and then the books signed. End of problem, no day ruined, no angry e-mail needed.

9. Luvchefmic

Luvchefmic DIS Veteran

Sadly the people who could benefit most from that young womans story of what is & is not important in this beautiful but oh too short time in life will never get it

There will always be those of us that see the beauty of a rose and far too many that will only see [and loudly complain] about the thorns

10. WishingMom

WishingMom DIS Veteran

Folks, this entire "incident" happened within 10 seconds, Mickey probably didn't even realize what was going on at the point where the parents left. I hardly think this should be the cause of someone losing their job...seriously.

And an experienced 2 year old? Really?

11. KapBoy77

KapBoy77 Mouseketeer<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

K I hate this thread and wish it would go away. I stopped reading it after page one cause it's just ridiculous. But waking up every morning to a title that states "Terrible Mickey..." is not a good way to start a day on a positive note.

Kill this thread. Please.

12. donaldlovesdaisy

donaldlovesdaisy DIS Veteran

See this response is more ridiculous then the irrational complaint by the OP of the thread. I will never understand why people waste their time to post in a thread they are so incredibly bothered or offended by. For goodness sakes move on not every topic on the DIS is going to be full of pixie dust there is a real world out there.

13. Lynn5700

Lynn5700 <font color=darkorchid>WOO HOO I will be there<br>

Exactly. People get so bent over petty stuff. I mean good Lord, people. This whole situation is so minor and it's so pathetic that parents get bent over something so stupid. Seriously.

God forbid a child doesn't get it's way for once in it's life. Oh the horror.

14. KapBoy77

I'll never understand why people waste their time responding to posts that bother or offends them. Not every post is full of pixie dust you know cause believe it or not there is a real world out there.

15. donaldlovesdaisy

I was not offended or bothered by your post just trying to figure out why one would waste their time if they feel they are above the topic at hand! I do find it ridiculous to make declarations asking for a topic to be closed simply because you don't agree with the subject matter!

16. donaldlovesdaisy

Which is why we have young adults who can't deal with life constantly making tragic decision which as we see on the news is happening more and more frequently.

17. KapBoy77

Ok fair enough. For the record I'm bored at work right now. :)

But I see what you mean. Sorry just feeling a bit snippy today. No hard feelings.

18. KapBoy77

And I agree with this.

19. donaldlovesdaisy

That makes two of us I am home with a sick kid! :)

20. Lynn5700

Lynn5700 <font color=darkorchid>WOO HOO I will be there<br>

Yup! Totally agree!

21. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

I really don't think Mickey hid the books maliciously. More so probably hoping to diffuse the situation - out of site out of mind, let's make it a game kind of deal.

I caught that as well :rotfl2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.