Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Great job! Keep rockin it'! Sounds like you may be PR'ing a few consecutive races as you gain confidence with each one.

Since Sunday's HM I have done a quick 3k run with my LTR group, and I am going to hot yoga tonight. I had some pretty good muscle tenderness in my medial quad (felt like someone kicked me there!) and feeling better today. I should run today but my yoga month pass runs out tomorrow and I cannot go to yoga tomorrow. So tonight I go to yoga, and if I can, a quick run tomorrow late after work or early morning.

Today my shoes arrived!!! I'm not sure if I mentioned but after my first HM I found out that I won a contest that I had entered through the virtual race bag!
I won 4 pairs of Skechers shoes! I got to pick one pair from their website, and they sent me a pair of GoRun, GoRunRide, and GoBionics! I asked that they send me purple, black, or pink shoes and I got my request! I have size 11.5 feet (so big!) so I was worried that they wouldn't fit, but the size 11s they sent (their largest size) fit really well!

Here are the pics of my contest spoilings:

The GoRuns:
522171_10151101318551931_1880360229_n.jpg

The shoes I picked for work:
536630_10151101319531931_245816300_n.jpg

The GoBionics:
396246_10151101320061931_1391614066_n-1.jpg

The GoRunRides:
33868_10151101319766931_1612872181_n.jpg

Winning shoes is a funny prize for me because my whole life I have avoided shoes because they rarely fit, and it is frustrating for me to find women's shoes that fit. Sometimes I buy men's but it isn't good for the ego. So as a teenager I started wearing Doc Martens, and then Birkenstocks, now flip flops and sandals, and mostly men's running shoes. But getting gifted *4* pairs of shoes practically doubles my shoe wardrobe and it is so fun! Going to put 2 pairs away for later, and wear the black workshoes and tan Bionics as regular out and about shoes now.

I don't think I am going to start running in any of these shoes right now as I don't want to condition my feet this close to marathon weekend to new shoes. Ironically I also have a pair of super expensive Bioms I got on a great sale that I haven't started with, either, and a very gently pair of Newtons that are only about 5% worn out.

I guess I am good for shoes, other than my foundation shoes that I use as my long run shoes which I will stick with! I usually run with Saucony Guides - they have held up super well for me (250miles and counting!) Only mild wear and tear present, but I am cycling them out with an identical new pair to break in for my marathon weekend races.

Anyhow, yay for winning a contest! Such purty shoes! And so light!

I ran in a short time with Skechers GoRun and still wear them all the time just around town. I couldn't continue running in them though because I had an achilles injury and they seemed to aggravate it. I started running in Newtons while I was nursing the achilles injury and fell in love with them. Now, I won't run in anything else!

Good morning!

Spent a good 60-70 minutes this morning working out my running schedule through to a March HM. Got the good news that I am pacing a HM clinic starting next week. I am the designated back-of-the-packer! :cool1: I'm excited because:

1) I don't have to pay to take the course again (I was going to sign up again)
2) I get a nice coupon for the store.
3) One of my running friends H signed up for her first HM clinic :cool1:
4) The instructor is super awesome and coaches for Team in Training and people say great things about her
5) It will force me to stay on my pacing!

I am still pacing the Learn to Run group for another 3 weeks - making my schedule very complicated AND trying to hybridize the HM group schedule into one I can use to get as ready as I can for the WDW Full. Whew.

I consulted the Jeff Galloway Goofy Training schedule and the Marathon for Mortals guide, as well as the Running Room schedule to make a hybrid.

I will only get up to 20 miles in my schedule, and only have 3 runs longer than 13 miles, but I don't think I can raise the mileage much more without risking injury, again.

Going to also commit to cross training twice a week, with 2 medium runs, one hill/speed work day, and one long slow run a week. Mondays are my new rest day.

I am getting tired looking at my schedule and those long runs are really scaring the crap out of me.

My old coach recommended getting out for 5-6 hours hiking and running on the trail at least once. I am on call for one of my scheduled long runs so might choose to do that run that way so I can stay closer to my car in case of being called out. He suggested I have 2 or so friends meet me for various parts of the run to keep it fresh and to keep myself going. Big inhale of breath.

Anyhow, glad to have it worked out. Happy to be joining the clinic as a pacer.

30 minutes cardio done as my cross training today.

My admin called and asked what I wanted on the lunch order. Instead of green curry on rice or noodles and veg I opted for a much lower carb and fat lunch of:
-green mango salad
-lemongrass soup
-fresh rolls with tofu and peanut sauce

For breakfast I had two lattes at home, plus 3 eggs and green salsa.

Recommitting to day to weight loss and my new schedule. Have rested well from my HM 5 days ago (one short run so far) and starting this weekend I am ramping back up again to the push for WDW Marathon weekend. Woo hoo!

I did get in some good running this weekend but it was not pretty. I forgot that I needed to meet my LTR group on Sunday, but also needed to do a long run. I was up in the night Friday all night, so Saturday I was bagged.

Sunday I did 3.5k with the LTR group in the morning, and then headed up for a longer run with my sister. We planned to do 14k. We met my friend H after 4k, and with it being an out and back along the waterfront, she would do 6k with us. It was a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. Unfortunately I started to get very sore around 9k. It was awful! Like everything hurt from my toes, to my feet, to my arches, to my calves, to my quads, all the way to my shoulders! I walked for a couple of minutes, but that kinda sucked too. Dropped H back at her car and tried to walk it out. Did some shorter intervals and bagged out at 13k. Was disappointed but I hurt like nothing else.

?new shoes
?two runs in one day
?old age
?sleep deprivation of three nights up in the last 6 prior
?late in the day

I dunno, but it was a sucky run.

Went out Monday for a quick run with the LTR and was fine. Just 2.5k. Tonight I have 3k with them, and heading to hot yoga in a few minutes for my CT. Tomorrow is 3k with my HM group so at a more challenging pace, and Saturday is 16k, Sunday is 7k.

I'm a few pounds heavier than my nadir. Shoot. Working on it and eating well. I don't know why. Had lots of salty foods yesterday which may account for some of it.

Mornin'! Had a good run last night with the first class of the HM group. I was introduced as the pacer and I could see some folks from my last class where I was a participant going, "Huh, Pacer? Slow girl? What the..." You volunteer and you will be picked! There is a very nice store discount that comes with the pacing, and also that the class is free! I stuck to the back of the pack and we did a 4k steady (so about 30 minutes just running, no intervals). I don't love the no intervals.

I also forgot my Ventolin. I think I may have forgotten to ever mention that I am an asthmatic/chronic bronchitis. I take mostly Ventolin and also another med. I have been asthmatic since I was a baby. I could switch to other meds but I am very psychologically dependant on Ventolin as it really is the only thing that gives me near-instant relief. I cannot stand to be tight in the chest or wheezy as I have had some very traumatic asthma attacks where even Ventolin didn't work and those are scary crazy. I've actually collapsed from an asthma attack, but luckily I was in the ER. Since I stopped smoking 15 years ago (um, DUH!!!! :crazy2:) it has been much better. Cold air is a trigger, as is coming in from the cold to a warm room, dust, pet dander, strong smells, and sometimes exercise. As a child I was tested for cystic fibrosis twice as it was pretty severe. Getting older has really improved my asthma and I don't react nearly as strongly to allergens.

During running I often get a bit short of breath within the first kilometer and have to do a lot of coughing as my lungs get cleaned out. I usually use my inhaler 1-2 times during a run, but it is usually just very mild chest tightness that starts be feeling a bit panicky so I give in and use my Ventolin to avoid it getting worse.

Last night I forgot my Ventolin and it was cold out. Much of the run I was tight-chested, and coming into the warm store afterwards I was downright wheezy. After a few minutes it subsided however, and I was fine.

I am waiting to get called to a birth as the second midwife. I wanted to go to yoga this morning (kinda) but now I am just waiting by my pager. The kids are home on a PA day and my mom is coming over later to fetch them to hang out with her. The house is a royal mess - oh well.

A new Running Room store is opening to the east of me and they are having a 5k run on November 28. It even comes with a medal - so I signed up for that! I signed up for a Santa Shuffle 5k with my LTR group. This is their graduation run. It is December 1st. These will be races 14 & 15 for 2012 I believe and medals 12 & 13! I bought a shadowbox to display them all in once I do that last run.

I also signed up for my first race of 2013 - the Chilli Half Marathon in March. Comes with a nice jacket!

Happy to be signed up for these new events!

My 5 year-old asked me to post these:
:artist::badpc::mic::stir::):happytv:

Got in my 16k today. Finished just over 2 hours - was pleased with that. Tried something new: 2:1 intervals for a long run. Felt really good until kilometer 12 when I started to ache in my feet and legs. It was a slog from there. My IT band felt tight, too, on both sides. I walked it out and it was a bit better, and did some stretches. After a bath and some rest I am still sore, but not too bad.

Tomorrow is 7k with my RR HM group at 10:1 intervals. Advil will be my friend.

Got in my 7k and it went really well. I wasn't feeling too tired, or legs too heavy. I finished it in exactly the same pace as the run before, but done as 10:1s. Yesterday I did 3k with my Learn to Run group. It was super slow as the back of the packers are still working on speed but they got up to 10:1s! A few thought they would never manage to get there, but they each did! I am super proud. We are on week 9/10.

Today I am resting. I will probably do some weights and stuff but no running and no major leg work. They need a day's rest.

Happy Friday!

Ran Monday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.

Signed up at DH's gym today as my friend coach told me that I am doing too much running without enough cross training and has ordered me to work up to 10-12 hours of training a week, including running. So, tonight I did 60 minutes of cardio and about 20 minutes of weight machines. Feel good! Hoping to get down below 200 pounds by marathon weekend (another 7-9 pounds).

Tomorrow I have 22k scheduled. Eek!

Well, that 22k was not that great. I started out by the lake and the wind was brutal, almost pushing me sideways. Then heading back north it was just as awful and so cold! It was snowing flurries. I cut my route one major street short as the wind was just killing me - making me go slow and more walk breaks than I wanted to. I just wanted to be picked up. As soon as I turned east again it was so much better and I got into a good stride, but I was more tired than usual and a bit cold. I headed south eventually and stopped at a Tim Horton's for a bathroom break at the 2 hour mark and 15k. I thought I would have a coffee and a croissant and keep going, however it got dark and now I was shivering in my damp clothes. I called DH to come get me and decided to head to the gym, which I did immediately, and got in the remaining 7k on the dreadmill. I was proud that I stuck it out and got in the 22k in 3 hours. I wish I had done it all on the road, but at freezing temperatures and being dark out, whatever...

On Sunday I went with our LTR for our last Sunday run together, but we went into the forest and did a trail run, including a 500m hill that is about a 12-15% grade. Maybe more. It was so hard, but I ran the whole way, and didn't vomit afterwards :cheer2: It was like running up an escalator. We continued on and managed about 4-5k and then went for breakfast. Great day.

I rested yesterday by force as I was working a ton. Felt good to rest. Today I went to the gym and planned to do 4k on the dreadmill, but had an asthma attack instead at 1k done. A few puffs of Ventolin and I felt much better, but decided to do the weight circuit instead, and got 45 minutes of weight training in. Mostly worked my upper body and abs, with a little leg work. My arms were trembling afterwards, and scratching my nose felt strange afterwards as my arms were a little clumsy.

So, I am running tonight. Going to get in another 4k. Used my instructor discount and got a wicked totally reflective jacked. It is 90% silver reflective material. Can't wait to run in it - it feels so cool. Also got a new heat-reflective running shirt and some wool running socks, clearance-rack tights, arm warmers and new gloves. Yay! I know, so close to Christmas but DH and I don't really surprise each other anymore. I also bought 2 dozen gels, so that should last me past WDW.

I am seriously worried about the marathon weekend. :sad2:

This week has been very busy work-wise and I didn't get in either of my short mid-week runs. I did cross train on Tuesday, but both Wednesday and Thursday I was working (including Wednesday overnight). Got some sleep Thursday morning and was up and back to work for 2pm. Ran clinic all day (the only kind of running I got in!) and then dashed off to an Under Armour sale, then to a home visit, and was home by 10pm. I slept last night: that's all I wanted to do in the world.

Today I have a pretty busy day with clinic and home visits this morning, and then teaching at the university this afternoon. But tonight I will go to the gym and get in an hour of cardio and some weights. My arms can just move without pain after Tuesday's session! :rotfl2:

Tomorrow is 16k. Sunday is 9k.

The Under Armour sale was awesome. I have a client who works for the company and was able to give me passes for their VIP sale. Tomorrow is the sale to the general public. Everything was 45% off and tax-free! Yay!

I bought myself and DH quite a few things. :faint:

I got a really, really warm baselayer. It is almost plush on the inside. I got the shirt and tights. I also got two running shirts, and two wardrobe shirts, and a great hoodie, a bra, and a pair of pants. DH got 2 gym shirts, two golf shirts, and a pair of gym pants. I picked perfectly and everything fit us both.

Hopefully these will work well on my run this weekend. I look forward to being warmer.

I am a bit of a doofus. I forgot that I signed up for a 5k race for Saturday, which was supposed to be my long run. It was our grad race for the Learn to Run group. I did well, but was about a minute off my PR. I haven't been working on my speed at all since hurting my knee.

154425_10151129563651931_734651370_n.jpg

This is our Learn to Run group after our last run in the trail:

155991_10151122122701931_2137238178_n.jpg

I organized all my medals for this year:

533486_10151129800906931_244192807_n.jpg

I did 9k on Monday (instead of Sunday due to busy, busy weekend) and it went really well. Great pace for me. Sunday was family time after a busy work weekend and I went bowling with the family instead of running.

Tuesday (yesterday) was a day I had been waiting for since March. I waited that long for an appointment with my tattoo artist and got my 40th birthday tattoo. It represents my three children:

59662_10151133886726931_2023405465_n.jpg

6953_10151133887291931_934543589_n.jpg

315725_10151133887001931_835328936_n.jpg

486898_10151133887541931_1336213745_n.jpg

Gotta run - heading out for either 3 or 5k with my Half Marathon group.

Since Wednesday I did 5k on Thursday, and did 60 mins cardio + 30 mins weight training, and did 16k today. The weather was cold and a little rainy on and off. Windy, too. Weather was just above freezing. Not that nice, but now I am out of a warm shower and in a fluffy bathrobe so all is ok! DH is making dinner and I get to be lazy now.

Tomorrow is 5k.

Thank you! Part of my 40 year birthday celebration!

I actually ran 9k yesterday. I'm not sure why I put 5k. It went pretty well. I am sitting at 8:22/km for my longer runs, and just at 7:56/km for my shorter runs. I really lost some speed (not that I had that much to begin with!) when I hurt my knee.

My knee is doing ok. Hurts during some runs, but usually pretty ok the next day except some stiffness and a wee bit hurty. However, at the gym on Friday I really strained the other knee and I could feel that more yesterday. I think that the recumbent bike posture meant my knee wasn't tracking well, as it felt like PF pain. My plantar fascitis pain in my feet is no better or worse, just a slight twinge.

Not sure what I am doing today. I think my legs and knees need a rest. I have been on them hard core since Wednesday with 4 days of running and 1 day of cardio machines (recumbent bike, stair climber). I guess I should do some hand weights though.

My coach friend and I are continuing on with the folks from the Learn to Run group in a private coaching arrangement. I am the communications person. I'm not sure how involved I can be with my own training schedule, and an intolerance from DH for me to be out 3 nights a week running. Two is bad enough with my other half marathon group I am pacing. But it sure is fun to be involved with these new runners and see them progress. And what a terrifically nice bunch of folks.

My last thing today is that I am frustrated with my weight. I got down to 206 but now sit at around 209-210. I can't seem to budge it back down. I am working out 6 days a week and eating really well. I can't imagine cutting down too much, and I can't fathom how I gained 5 pounds this month. So frustrating as I wanted to be at 199 for the WDW weekend. Seems impossible. Argh. I guess I will start tracking again and see if I can see where/if I am going wrong with diet.

Today:

-latte with agave syrup
-1/4 mango
-1/3 papaya
-1 small low fat cheese (25 cal)
-one babybel cheese
-banana

-lunch portion spaghettini with shrimp, scallops, asparagus, in lemon garlic oil-based sauce (not heavy)
-one garlic roll
-garden salad
-coffee
-1.5 inch square brownie peanut butter square

-thin pork chop
-1/4 cup fried rice
-sautéed snap peas and garlic
-clementine
-glass raw milk

-4 dried dates
-10 dried banana chips
-tea with milk and a wee bit agave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday:
-latte with agave
-1/2 papaya
(then ran for 72 minutes, consuming about 500 mls electrolyte drink)

Snack: banana

Lunch:
-stir-fry of cubes of beef, potato, swiss chard, celery in a small amount of ghee and spices (about 1.5 cups of stir-fry)
-2 small chocolate pieces (super small)
-latte with agave

Snack:
-tamari almonds (maybe 15?)
-4 dates
-coffee
-glass raw milk

Dinner:
-salad (lettuce, carrots, tomato, celery, cucumber)
-1/2 baked potato with 1 tbsp sour cream
-about 15 fries
-2 chicken legs with skin (small sized)
-chalet sauce (low fat)

Not perfect, but not too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter