Teppanyaki vs. Benihana

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by DisneyFanatik, Mar 7, 2004.

1. DisneyFanatik

DisneyFanatik DIS Veteran

I read in the Unofficial Guide that there is a Benihana Restaurant off property. Does anyone know how it compares to Teppanyaki? We have a Japanese hibachi restaurant here that we go to all of the time. We really enjoy it, especially the salad (which I understand Teppanyaki charges extra for) and the option of getting fried rice instead of white rice (I think that I read that Teppanyaki doesn't offer that anymore). Would we be better off just going offsite for a night to go to Benihana's?

2. Alice28

Alice28 DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I'm Doombah Fricki

How funny, I just posted my thoughts on the two on another thread. If you love the fried rice at Benihana, you will be disappointed at Teppanyaki- they don't offer it. They have yakisoba noodles instead. :( There is a Benihana at the Hilton across from Downtown Disney...otherwise, the food was about the same...same ginger dressing, same presentation, same sitting around the hibachi with other people, and about the same prices.

3. cruisnfamily

cruisnfamily DIS Veteran

I would definitely pick Benihana over Teppanyaki!

We were thoroughly dissapointed in our meal at Teppanyaki and we love Benihana and our local japanese place.

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. skondo10

skondo10 Mouseketeer

Our favourite restaurant is Benihana! It's tradition for our family to eat there on both our first and last nights. The salad comes with the meal and the fried rice is out of this world. You can easily walk to Benihana's in the Hilton after taking the bus to DD. It's only about a 5 minute walk and definately worth it! You can check out the menus at www.benihana.com. Can't wait for our next trip to Benihana's!

6. pnelson

pnelson Guest

Yes, I was told at Teppanyaki, that "You want fried rice...Go to China, they have fried rice there." A definite disappointment and meal breaker for us. We haven't been back.We have a Benihana's near us, and there are other restaurants at Disneyt that we can enjoy.

7. Alice28

Alice28 DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I'm Doombah Fricki

Boy, that was kind of rude on their part! I would have been like, Okay, I WILL go to China then!"

8. DisneyFanatik

DisneyFanatik DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! We will definitely go to Benihana's instead of Teppanyaki! DS loves fried rice!

9. tinkie

tinkie Mouseketeer

Are the prices comparable? Teppenyaki seems expensive considering you have to "pay extra" now for a salad.:rolleyes:

10. sotoalf

sotoalf DIS Veteran

Well, the Teppanyaki chef WAS right. Fried rice is Chinese, not Japanese. A lot of people assume Chinese and Japanese cuisine are similar.

All the same, the Matsu Ma Lounge offers a pretty good tempura selection at half the price of Teppanyaki. We usually eat (and get plastered) there when we visit.

11. EvMc

EvMc Long time lurker!

There is a Japenese restaurant called 'Kabuchi' on 192, not too far from Celebration's main entrance. We enjoyed it on our last trip (11-03) and will try it again next month. They have (had) an early bird special which was almost 1/2 off menu prices. Found their ad in one of those free local coupon magazines. They served noodles and have fried rice! Very good and tasty but not good for my low carbing!! :hyper: