Teppanyaki - good? not so good?

kelleigh1

<font color=purple>Disney Baby<br><font color=gree
We're hoping to book Le Cellier for our November trip, but I'm also thinking we may need a backup plan. Especially because once the Candlelight Processional packages come out, I may need to change our ADR and may not be able to get Le Cellier for that anyway.

A friend at work mentioned that they really liked Teppanyaki last time she was at WDW, which was really about 10 years ago.

When I got home last night, I checked it out in both my Passporter and UG. After reading their reviews, it reminded me that I thought someone had mentioned that this was the place where basically everything tasted the same. Is that true?

Please share any experiences, likes & dislikes about the place. And feel free to recommend another "backup plan" choice for us. I will warn you that I am steering away from Biergarten as I've been to Germany (as in the actual country, not the Epcot version) and wasn't really a fan of German food.

We have been a few times and find it ok, we have alot of Japanese restaurants where we live that offer more choices so I guess we are spoiled.

I love Le Cellier and Beirgarten, they are our favorite but I am excited to try Rose and Crown and the new Italy restaurant.

We ate at Teppanyaki in Sept 2005 and loved it. We've eaten Japanese before but we really did enjoy the meal. Only downfall is that you are seated with others so if you are looking for a quiet, exclusive meal that won't happen.

We tend to be food snobs and we love our beef. My entire family was very disappointed with Le Cellier. The meat was ok but not as good or large of portions as what we typically get at our favorite places at home.

We ate there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. We had great converstaion with others we were seated with. I believe it has recently been remodeled too.

We loved it, I'm a Bennihana fan and it's very similar, good food great entertainment.
Lesley

I have heard that it does not serve the fried rice or noodles and it does not have that clear soup.

Do they serve the dipping sauces? We like the ginger, mustard, white sauce and I love the hot sauce.

We enjoyed eating dinner there. It is a little different from your typical Japenese rest-AU-rant but better different. IMO:thumbsup2

I am pretty sure you can add on an order of fried rice and I know you get a clear soup (or at least we did in December)

ETA: there were 3 dipping sauces but I don't remember what they were- sorry!

We all loved it! Even picky meat and potatoes southern boy DH!

This was DS's pick. We all loved it. We all ate with chopsticks which was a blast. I did feel sorry for the young couple that got stuck sitting with the 6 of us -- our party (especially my wild-n-crazy bil) is interesting to say the least.

Surprise -- the seaweed salad -- we all loved it.

I ventured from the others on dessert and tried the ginger ice cream -- it was so good my DD(4) ended up stealing it from me.

I don't think anyone would be very disappointed with Teppanyaki. This is a new "must do" for us.

We had a great time..kids loved it..

Just stay away from Hollywood & Vine at all costs!!!

I will add this. We almost had to cancel Teppanyaki due to rain rescheduling of MVMCP -- the CM that was helping us strongly advised us not to cancel Teppanyaki as in her opinion it was the best restaurant on property.

We have been a few times and find it ok, we have alot of Japanese restaurants where we live that offer more choices so I guess we are spoiled.

I love Le Cellier and Beirgarten, they are our favorite but I am excited to try Rose and Crown and the new Italy restaurant.

My thoughts exactly. If this kind of restaraunt is something you eat at frequently in your hometown then you may not be so high on it but if this is the first time you've ever tried this style of dining I would recommend it and it may even cause you to search out similar restaraunts when you get home (and help you think back on your vacation).

--Mr. DB

We loved it, not all the foods tasted the same! Here is the menu http://allearsnet.com/menu/men_tepl.htm and we did have a soup, seaweed I beleive, something it was wonderful (kids didn't try it, they thought it looked gross, but it was very good, a bit spicy)... the meal itself was great, I believe we did have rice, and dipping sauces (ginger I believe was one of them and maybe a mustard)... we were on the DDP. It was not only good but entertaining as well. The kids found the "show" entertaining-- DH and I have seen "it" done before as we frequent a Japanese Rest. in hometown, but it was still neat to watch and enjoy!

I will say I like Le Cellier as well... and Beirgerten is great at Christmas!

We went in Dec. 2005 and weren't impressed. Maybe it was just our chef, but the "show "wasn't very good. He didn't twirl knives, throw shrimp, do the "egg roll or onion volcano", any of that typical hibachi stuff. No conversation, jokes, etc. :confused3 He just brought the ingredients out and cooked it in front of us. The food wasn't that great either. Pretty bland, imho. Again, though, it could have just been our chef, but I don't think we'll be back there for a while. We have several teppanyaki style restaurants near us that are pretty inexpensive, so we may be a bit spoiled.

We just ate at Teppanyaki for the first time last month and we loved it! Our chef was very entertaining and the food was excellent. The kids had a ball - they had never been to that kind of Japanese restaurant before. DS was afraid that he wouldn't like the food but he ended up eating almost everything! We can't wait to go back after the rehab (which is going on now, I think).

Put me in the don't go catagory. We eat teppanyaki style here at home and find the food here to be of better quality and the show just as good if not more entertaining than at Epcot. This was DH's pick the last time we went and we will not be doing it again. There's no point when it's just like dining out at home.

Thanks for all the replies (keep 'em coming). We've never been to a Japanese place here at home, so this may be of interest to us. It is just hubby and I too, so we don't have to worry too much about any kids being picky eaters.

I've still got plenty of time to decide and since Candlelight Processional packages won't even be released until August, even more time to decide. I think we are going to book Le Cellier when it comes time to book our regular ADR's and then we'll see what happens when the CP packages come out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter