Tent for under $100.00

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Hoping for a good recommendation. We are going on our 1st family tent camping trip. We are a family of 4 and 1 dog, so to fit comfortably I'm thinking we will need a 6 or 8 man tent.

Looking for the best tent I can find for under $100.00. Will preferably have a rain cover, just in case. Would like something user friendly, easy up and down.

Thanks.

We bought a three room tent that sleeps 10 it also has two small closets in it. It was about $125.00 at Academy Sports (bought about a year ago) it is huge. I don't know the measurements.

If you have a costco/sams club try them. We got one last week for $150, i know a bit over the price you wanted. But it is a coleman and a 10 person, seperate rooms so kids and og in one then adults in the other.

I am not a fan of KMart, but they have a great selection of tents, and always on sale. We got a 8 man (2 room with floor and rain cover) for 85.00.

We do a lot of tent camping and have been camping in a tent for over 20 years now. For a starter tent I recommend a tent with a bathtub bottom (made of plastic tarp type material). You absolutely want a rain fly but most tents come with one. It's only the really, really high end tents where this will come separate. For 4 people I'd recommend a 9x9 or larger tent and if your kids are willing to sleep separate a 2 or 3 man for them. My kids love having their own tent. For easy up I'd recommend sticking to a dome tent something with only two poles for the tent and two for the rainfly. You'll want to look for something with sleeves at least part way to hold the poles so that one or two people can put it up. Our good tent only has clips and it's a PITA to put up and requires all of us. You also want to look for one that has a rainfly that comes down the sides as far as possible. A little rainfly means there's more space for the water to hit the tent and come thru. Definitely you want to also take a look at the zipper and make sure that it flows easily and that it opens at least 3/4 of the way around.

My favorite brand of tent on the low end is Coleman. Kelty tents are also supposed to be good but I've never had one. I'd avoid the bass pro brand or Eureka (had these and they leak - very quickly). We also have a Target store brand for the kids to play in and I'm not impressed with the quality. We're actually looking for a new tent for oldest DS for scouts right now and in the under $100 rates are looking at this one:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004559&categoryid=11020&brand=

We have some others we are looking at but they are over $100.

It's over your cost, but I saw a 16x10 Coleman the other day at Costco for 143.99 (plus tax). Ended up with major tent envy, but we still have a totally good Coleman from just a couple years ago. :) We're only 3 people and no dogs, but we do love a big tent that we can *stand up* in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter