tent camping in dec at FW

devmer

Mouseketeer
I posted this on the resort page but then I found this forum so I am reposting it here. Is it reasonable weather wise? I read that there is electricity at all the sites so I could bring a space heater to help keep us warm. We would be going in the beginning of Dec. Can you get a magic your way package with dining if you camp? I will be at WDW with my family but I'm pretty sure if I camp no one else will be willing to leave the comfort of their hotels. I will be alone with my 2 kids at the campsite? Is it safe to do that? Do they have security patrolling the place? Am I crazy to even consider this?
Thanks,
Dawn

No...they do not offer any dining plans with a campsite because you can have up to 10 people on a site.

Yes....FtW is a very safe place to camp.

Yes....electricity is available at all sites except group camping.

December weather in Fla is a crap shoot...A/C or heat or neither. You're best to wait until a week before leaving to see what you need to prepare for. Usually it's not cold enough in Dec to need heat.

you can get the dining plan just not the free dining offers.

We were there the first 3 weeks of December last year and the weather was all over the place. It was mostly dry (just 1 day of rain) but temps ranged from 60-80 during the day, and we saw a few evenings hovering around 40 and below!

We've went in early Dec. the 2 prior years as well and didn't have such chilly temps, but as Deb said, it's a crap shoot, so prepare for just about anything and you'll be just fine.:thumbsup2

Let me restate, you can PURCHASE the dining plan staying at the campground, but you can't get the Free Dining offered sometimes.

I've tent camped in December many times.

Sometimes I got cold, sometimes it was hot!!

I would definitely recommend some type of heater or electric blanket/mattress pad AND a fan.

Run the fan during the day with the windows cracked and run your heat at night. (Definitely keep the windows cracked at night also no matter how cold it is, cause just your breathing in a closed up tent will make you soaking and even more cold.)

Even if it is cold, there is still humidity down there and cold and damp make for REALLY cold.

Tent camping at the Fort is fun!!! and SAFE!! I've done it solo many times!!

Also, you might want to bring a big enough tent so that you have room for a portable pottie inside the tent so you don't have to make those middle of the night comfort station runs!!

We tent camped in Oct 2008 and Dec 2007. It was freezing in Oct 08, and very warm in Dec. Be prepared for either. We froze the one night temps around 30 and humid and very windy. I don't know why I didn't just put the kids in the van that night...oh I was too cold to move. Bottom line you just never know until it gets closer. We always purchase the dining plan when we camp.
Loretta

Here is the site that I use to plan camping trips based on seasons:
(link that I wanted to share to help others was removed because I don't have enough posts - :disrocks:)

Orlando in December:
Average Temperature: 62
Average High: 73
Average Low: 51
Highest Record Temp: 90
Lowest Record Temp: 20

Wow, what a spread.

We camp in December before and no need of heater or ac at all. We took a small one just in case but didn't use it, also a fan.We used our sleeping bags on top of the air matress, the weather was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter