TEN BUCKS A WEEK!

curious-anyone taking advantage of super bowl sales to stock up?

I initially thought I had found a good deal for pace salsa/16 oz. jars for $1.49 each (store limited number you could buy) until I hit another store that was doing a BOGO on pace-24 oz jars BOGO. the full price for a jar was $3.79 so they ended up running me about $1.89 each-and no limit.

I'm now well stocked up on salsa.

I don't know how it is in other areas, and I won't be taking advantage of it b/c my freezer's full, but traditionally around here if you hit the stores on the Monday/Tuesday after super bowl there are slamming deals in the meat department on traditional 'game day' items-packages of wings, sausages, ribs-we've even seen the boxed (normally very overpriced) individually wrapped steaks on tremendous deals (and when my kids were younger I would hit the bakery and get the half priced team themed iced cookies for their lunches). good time to use that set aside $$$$.

going grocery shopping today-we'll see what can be got for a decent price. fearful of going into the produce section-celery (NON organic-just the basic stuff) is selling for $1.79 per pound:sad2: kills me to pay that much for something I need to keep on hand for a variety of recipes but rarely ever use the entirety of (and the supermarkets around here have largely done away with just selling higher per pound priced individual pieces which I used to buy just when I needed=less money spent/wasted. now they shoot those over to the deli department to use in their overpriced prepared salads).

Yes, it's $3-$4 for a teeny tiny bunch of celery here and has been for weeks!!! I have taken to omitting it from the dishes that call for it. I haven't missed it in most things and my pocketbook thanks me. I REFUSE to pay that much for celery and our cucumbers have been higher too. Luckily they go on sale every couple of weeks so I get a few and try to make them last. But I've been going without often because I have a dollar amount I won't cross and they're consistently priced over it. I seriously need a garden. LOL
going grocery shopping today-we'll see what can be got for a decent price. fearful of going into the produce section-celery (NON organic-just the basic stuff) is selling for $1.79 per pound:sad2: kills me to pay that much for something I need to keep on hand for a variety of recipes but rarely ever use the entirety of (and the supermarkets around here have largely done away with just selling higher per pound priced individual pieces which I used to buy just when I needed=less money spent/wasted. now they shoot those over to the deli department to use in their overpriced prepared salads).

Yes, it's $3-$4 for a teeny tiny bunch of celery here and has been for weeks!!! I have taken to omitting it from the dishes that call for it. I haven't missed it in most things and my pocketbook thanks me. I REFUSE to pay that much for celery and our cucumbers have been higher too. Luckily they go on sale every couple of weeks so I get a few and try to make them last. But I've been going without often because I have a dollar amount I won't cross and they're consistently priced over it. I seriously need a garden. LOL

Is there something going on with celery? When I was at Kroger Tuesday they had none. I only use celery in a couple dishes, so what I started doing was cleaning it all, chopping it & putting it in ziplock freezer bags (I do this with carrots & onions too). I make sure I lay them flat & not over stuff the bag so there's no big clumps. They come out perfect when I add them to soups! I just happened to have run out.

Last edited:
I thought I'd start posting fast and easy recipes (there will be a LOT of crockpot ones) that are filling and frugal.

Here's a link to a goodie...made on the stovetop but pretty difficult to mess up!

http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/recipe-how-to-make-potato-soup/

The potato is much maligned because of it's starchiness but it's got some essential vitamins and minerals and is VERY cost effective and versatile. Here it's featured in a hearty, nutritious soup. Make a pot and you have lunch for a week. Yum, yum, yum!!

Is there something going on with celery? When I was at Kroger Tuesday they had none. I only use celery in a couple dishes, so what I started doing was cleaning it all, chopping it & putting it in ziplock freezer bags (I do this with carrots & onions too). I make sure I lay them flat & not over stuff the bag so there's no big clumps. They come out perfect when I add them to soups! I just happened to have run out.

From what I understand, this past year's weather with flooding in some areas and droughts in others have led to a smaller yield for things like celery, cucumber and cauliflower. That in turn drives the demand up, which drives the prices up and also leads to shortages.

The good news is that meteorologists are suggesting that weather conditions will be better this coming year so we should anticipate a better harvest, which should bring the prices back down again!

I thought I'd start posting fast and easy recipes (there will be a LOT of crockpot ones) that are filling and frugal.

Here's a link to a goodie...made on the stovetop but pretty difficult to mess up!

The potato is much maligned because of it's starchiness but it's got some essential vitamins and minerals and is VERY cost effective and versatile. Here it's featured in a hearty, nutritious soup. Make a pot and you have lunch for a week. Yum, yum, yum!!

This is the potato soup that's a big hit at my house:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...ato-soup/9a278ca4-42b0-4259-8941-5805d9aacb7f

There's no real prep as you use the frozen hashbrowns (I stock up when they're on sale) & then I use my already diced frozen celery. Of course I'm sure you can use fresh diced potatoes if you'd like without having to do the sautéing.

Last edited:

looks good, and I love soups in general (making a batch of turkey pot pie soup today from the thanksgiving leftovers I took out of the freezer yesterday).

potatoes-we're trying to be prudent in our consumption (dieting) but we recently used some in a non traditional (for us) way that worked out to be a more frugal variation of a recipe we make fairly frequently-shepherd's pie. instead of doing the traditional dish topped with mashed potatoes I baked an individual potato for each person to top with the 'pie' concoction. found we used fewer potatoes-and although it was the identical amount of 'pie' filling I always make we had more leftovers (that small potato, skin and all made it much more filling).

Hey...maybe I should try that. I keep meaning to make shepherd's pie because I love it but DH hates it and somehow, when it does finally make it onto the menu...something happens to change the plan. He does like chili topped baked potatoes though...so if we did it the way you suggested, it might just be different enough that he wouldn't try to get out of eating it.

For other things (lasagna for example) I've had to start cutting the entire thing into the appropriate serving sizes (12). DH still ends up taking two (or more) servings which really ticks me off (but that's a whole other thing) but at least I know the kids and I are getting the right serving amount.

Speaking of which...small vent...DH eats low carb through the week and last night we were supposed to have a thin crust pizza (me and the kids) and I made up some chicken breasts for DH and sliced them up to go with his cooked peppers. He took the whole bowlful of chicken, even though I told him there were two breasts in it and ONE is already a double serving size (these were giant ones). Then he cut the pizza (before I could get to it) into 4 pieces.

So I said, a serving is 1/6 of the pizza. I always cut them into 6. So he cut the four in half again. <sigh> I could have fixed the four!!! But 8 triangles were past my mental skills at that point and I just gave up. He let the kids eat 1/2 the pizza each (!!!!!!!!!) while I was busy trying to make something for myself to eat since he had taken ALL the chicken (one was supposed to have been for tonight's dinner) and put a bunch of crap on it that I couldn't have/didn't want.

And of course, he got mad at ME when I objected to his decisions. According to him...he was being helpful in the case of the pizza so I should not have criticized and in the case of the chicken apparently I told him that the chicken in the fridge was for him...so he did not know that me saying it was two full breasts=don't bloody well eat it all because I have plans for half of it!

That man is going to be the death of me!

looks good, and I love soups in general (making a batch of turkey pot pie soup today from the thanksgiving leftovers I took out of the freezer yesterday).

potatoes-we're trying to be prudent in our consumption (dieting) but we recently used some in a non traditional (for us) way that worked out to be a more frugal variation of a recipe we make fairly frequently-shepherd's pie. instead of doing the traditional dish topped with mashed potatoes I baked an individual potato for each person to top with the 'pie' concoction. found we used fewer potatoes-and although it was the identical amount of 'pie' filling I always make we had more leftovers (that small potato, skin and all made it much more filling).

I love that idea! I might just steal it...

Mmmm. Turkey pot pie! I just pinned that idea of potato skin 'shepherds' pie/cottage pie' earlier this week. I think it is a fabulous -and easy- dinner for the two of us!

For other things (lasagna for example) I've had to start cutting the entire thing into the appropriate serving sizes (12). DH still ends up taking two (or more) servings which really ticks me off (but that's a whole other thing) but at least I know the kids and I are getting the right serving amount.
I think that this is a great way to deal with things! I've always done serving sized meals. I remember watching cousins while their parents were away, and that was the comment. . . . I cooked 6 pork chops for 6 people. Imagine! (40 years later, one or another will mention it every now and then. :rotfl:)

This week's soup recipe is Chicken Taco Chili.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html

This giant vat of goodness is my lunch for the week...well Monday to Friday at the very least. I do sometimes get tired of eating the same thing for lunch every day, so when I've had enough I toss the remainder in the freezer and move on to something else.

That uses up the last of my cans of diced tomatoes though, so even though I don't need any for the rest of the month (my meal plan takes me through to the 28th), I am pretty freaked out that there aren't any cans left on the shelf. Weird, right?

I also made 5 loaves of banana bread (I got 4 pounds of bruised bananas for like $1) and have enough bananas left (I froze them) to make two more. Then I made chocolate chip cookies, since that was the treat of the week this week.

My stupid camera is acting up and won't transfer the photos to my computer...

BUT, I went a got a few things today to take advantage of some sale prices.

I spent $6.45 on...

table syrup $1.87
ketchup $2.00
2 cans diced pineapple $2.58

I will likely pick up a couple more things on Friday when I get the rest of my groceries.

This giant vat of goodness is my lunch for the week...well Monday to Friday at the very least. I do sometimes get tired of eating the same thing for lunch every day, so when I've had enough I toss the remainder in the freezer and move on to something else.

That uses up the last of my cans of diced tomatoes though, so even though I don't need any for the rest of the month (my meal plan takes me through to the 28th), I am pretty freaked out that there aren't any cans left on the shelf. Weird, right?

I also made 5 loaves of banana bread (I got 4 pounds of bruised bananas for like $1) and have enough bananas left (I froze them) to make two more. Then I made chocolate chip cookies, since that was the treat of the week this week.

I'm definitely going to try this chili! Thank you!!

Yum that recipe sounds really yummy! How many meals would you say you get out of it? Do you eat it alone it on something?

Sometimes I eat it over a baked potato and I have been know to add to leftover rice to it to bulk it up even further, but most of the time I just have a cup to a cup and a half of it with other stuff on the side (yogurt, veggies, fruit, slice of buttered bread, etc). I find it stands well on its own.

Hmmm...it's at least 8-10 cups of goodness...maybe even more! Sometimes I'm the only one eating it and sometimes DH partakes too. The kids never touch it because they are crazy and don't know good food when they smell/see it! :rotfl2:

Mmmm. Turkey pot pie! I just pinned that idea of potato skin 'shepherds' pie/cottage pie' earlier this week. I think it is a fabulous -and easy- dinner for the two of us!

I think that this is a great way to deal with things! I've always done serving sized meals. I remember watching cousins while their parents were away, and that was the comment. . . . I cooked 6 pork chops for 6 people. Imagine! (40 years later, one or another will mention it every now and then. :rotfl:)

I'm really curious...how many pork chops were they used to seeing on the platter when Mom and Dad were cooking?

I'm really curious...how many pork chops were they used to seeing on the platter when Mom and Dad were cooking?
I'm not sure, but maybe she cooked a specific number 8? 10? I will cook extras, but plan for leftovers for another meal. Portion control is something that DH doesn't always get either. But he is one who had breakfast at 10:45 this morning, shovelled the drive and at noon said, "What's for lunch" LOL

Sometimes I eat it over a baked potato and I have been know to add to leftover rice to it to bulk it up even further, but most of the time I just have a cup to a cup and a half of it with other stuff on the side (yogurt, veggies, fruit, slice of buttered bread, etc). I find it stands well on its own.

Hmmm...it's at least 8-10 cups of goodness...maybe even more! Sometimes I'm the only one eating it and sometimes DH partakes too. The kids never touch it because they are crazy and don't know good food when they smell/see it! :rotfl2:

I'm thinking when I try this (possibly tomorrow) I will need to make a double batch as not only is it up my and DH's alley, but DD11 loved chili, tacos, and chicken, and generally eats more than me, so I better bulk it out or double it! She loves to eat and is a stick insect :nofair:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter