Tell me why I should (or should NOT) change my WDW trip to a land/sea trip!!!!

Okay, with a fourteen year old and a four year old, you have some thinking to do about the way you tour the parks.

First, I absolutely must agree with EVERYONE who is telling you to drop the DDP and spend a lot less time eating at the parks. This is not dine and dash, my friend! Some of these meals are going to set you back HOURS in each park. Crystal Palace can be 2 hours wait time to finish, for example. And, truthfully, some of the places you are choosing are not that great and not worth your time or the extra money. Check some threads on the restaurants you are considering and you may change you mind.

For example, Jiko was one of the best places DH and I ate but I am SOOOO glad I took advice from people on this board and did not take the kids. It was much more "formal" than anywhere else we ate and we did not see any other children in the restaurant that night (and we had ressies at 7pm). I know there are probably people who bring their kids to eat there but I am glad that we didn't. If we had wanted to take our kids, I think we would have chosen BOMA instead. Lots of noise and kids it looked like a fun time.

Next, what is the 14 year old going to do while the four year old rides Dumbo, Small Word and Peter Pan? What if the four year old wants to go on them all five times? (and she will!!) What if the 4 year old HATES Space Mountain (or is too small to get on) while the teen LOVES it? So, not to put a damper on your vacation, but these things should be talked about before you go. The last thing you need is a sulk(ier) teen or a melted down preschooler.

So, just think about the possibility of splitting up before or after lunch on some of your days. It may make the trip more enjoyable for everyone. And, although we have not cruised with the kids, I would think the age difference would be much easier for everyone onboard vs at the parks.

Finally, let me say that the BBB was one of the highlights of our trip. Our two DD's, 5 and 6, LOVED it. It was worth every penny. But, again, the whole thing took about two hours so be prepared. This could be one of your best opportunities to let the teen and DH head over to the older rides while you and the little one have some bonding time.

ENJOY!!

With that said, though, do you think 4 days in the parks are enough?

Not even close!!! I'm sorry to be the lone dissenting vote, but as someone whose first trip back as an adult was a land/sea, it wasn't enough. You can make peace with not doing everything, but even then, you will feel rushed. We never got to swim during our 4 park days and totally didn't enjoy the resort. Then, by the time I got comfy on the ship, it was time to get off! I feel like we were tired and rushing the entire vacation. The next year, we went back for a week, and I planned a relaxed evening on our first day.

I say, pick one and really enjoy it. Either do a full week with more park days or do a week on the cruise. Just my 2 cents! Oh, and have an awesome trip!

OK....

After MUCH debate and NUMEROUS back/forth "decisions", (and not to mention, plenty of whining from yours truly...)...

We have OFFICIALLY reached a decision.

We are sticking with our original 7-night plan. We think this will give us more time to enjoy the resort, the food, and take our sweet time to really soak up every possible drop of the full WDW experience that we can (in the time we have). And then....

(here's the kicker-- wait for it....)

... DH promised me that we WILL go on the Dream in 2011. (Y'all heard it here, so it is ON the RECORD-- so, in a year, when he tries to give me that whole, "I don't remember saying that," routine, I can pull up this thread and be all like, "You better get those bags packed,"). :lmao:

So there it is. We are going on the Dream!!! Eeeeeee!!!! :cool1: I'm already so excited- I swear I have no idea how I will make it through the next year. Seriously. Now, all I have to do is calm down, and do a little more looking around to figure out which one we should book (I'm thinking maybe early June).

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and advice. You've all been so helpful.

This may very well be our only vacation for a looong time (as in, YEARS), because I'm in the process of finishing up my biology degree and will be applying to medical school soon. If I get in, I seriously doubt we'd be able to vacation during those 4 years of hell, so I guess I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to get the most out of it NOW (I know, I know... bad idea).

I know you've already made your decision and you'll have so much fun when you do cruise in 2011. But I wanted to wish you the best of luck in medical school. DH did an MD/PhD dual program and he still managed to take vacations. In fact, we discovered Disney during his 3rd year of the 6 six year program and we've been approx every year since. THey were very much needed breaks for him. He is still in training as a fellow and vacations are the one thing we splurge on. We don't eat out much, go to the movies a lot, ect but we know how much those vacations are for him. So, if you can, try to vacation during your medical school years. And cruising jsut might be what you need for that well deserved time off. :goodvibes

But I wanted to wish you the best of luck in medical school. DH did an MD/PhD dual program and he still managed to take vacations. So, if you can, try to vacation during your medical school years. And cruising jsut might be what you need for that well deserved time off. :goodvibes

Thanks so much. I am going to need that luck-- I couldn't even begin to tell you the adversity I've overcome, to get to this point in my journey. And, if I did, you may not even believe me (my life played out kinda like one of those ABC Afterschool Specials). Trust me, I've survived some seriously debilitating circumstances, and I'll be lucky to get into a DO school (which would be perfectly fine with me). Heck, at this point, I would even accept a seat at a Caribbean school (hey... at least I wouldn't need to go there for vacation! Lol)!

Sometimes when I hear myself telling people that I'm going to become a physician, I feel like I'm kidding myself-- like I'm still a little kid, playing pretend with my Fisher Price doctor set. Some days it seems so far-fetched that a person like me can actually overcome such painful circumstances to achieve a deep-rooted dream. But then someone like you gives me the gift of some kind words, and they help to propel me a little bit further.

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes. They really do mean a lot.

Trust me, I've survived some seriously debilitating circumstances, and I'll be lucky to get into a DO school (which would be perfectly fine with me).
Nothing wrong with a DO school. I have a very good friend that is a DO and she is an excellent physician and well respected in her community.

Sometimes when I hear myself telling people that I'm going to become a physician, I feel like I'm kidding myself-- like I'm still a little kid, playing pretend with my Fisher Price doctor set. Some days it seems so far-fetched that a person like me can actually overcome such painful circumstances to achieve a deep-rooted dream. But then someone like you gives me the gift of some kind words, and they help to propel me a little bit further.

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes. They really do mean a lot.
Keep following your dream! Where would we all be w/o dreams! DH always had dreams about becoming a physician and went through several things in life that could have taken that dream away. Nothing too major but circumstances that could have definitely derailed the dream. Also, we didn't come from money. We worked hard and I'm so glad that he pursued the dream and never looked book.

I don't know what you've had to overcome, but you sound like a very strong woman. Whatever it is :hug:hugs:hug: to you and don't let go of the dream!

Oh, and the BTW, I reread my post and I had originally put "we don't eat much!" :lmao: I left an important word out and it should have read "eat OUT much" Don't want anyone to think I starve my children so we can go on vacations:goodvibes. I did edit my post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter