Tell me what you love about the Polynesian?!?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Belle2007, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Belle2007

Belle2007 Mouseketeer

We are celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary this year and I want to go deluxe!

I've always loved the Polynesian.... (looking at it from across the bay. I was there once when I was 12, now I'm 40 and we don't have kids). I'm interested in your opinions... did you love it? Which longhouse did you love?

Our favorite resort is the POFQ; we've also done value before.... just interested in this deluxe though and I want to do something special for our anniversary.... We are also doing a four day disney cruise so this will be after our cruise.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc <font color=royalblue>We had a wonderful time, but

Probably what I love the most is the peacefulness. It's such an amazing counterpoint to the frentic hectic buzz of the parks. It really does transport you to a different place.

Both times, we requested (and got) a full balcony room in Tokelau. It was just perfect... close enough to the Grand Ceremonial House, but also a very short walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. (It's a longer hike to the Volcano pool, but that was OK... that walk wasn't at a time when we were particularly tired.)

I LOVE the Poly!!! I'm sure you will too!

(And let me know if you want a similarly thrilled review of the Beach Club :) )

4. harmsja

harmsja Earning My Ears

My favorite thing is watching the nightly Wishes fireworks on the beach. We stayed Club Level which is the Hawaii longhouse. We had a first floor patio facing the lagoon. Heaven!! Every night we sat on the patio and watched. They pipe in the music to speakers along the beach. Unforgettable.

Kids walked right from our patio to beach to watch nightly Disney movie. We truly enjoyed that resort.

Transportation can not be beat. Bus, monorail and boat options. Everything is so close. Restaurants are great too.

5. cannonboys

cannonboys Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Aotearoa longhouse and just loved everything about the Poly! Just the special touches like, the Hawaiian music played throughout and the "Alohas" from the CMs. Being able to see the monorail, and castle from our window made us feel like we were in the middle of it all! Kids loved watching movies from the beach, and also seeing the Wishes fireworks with the music piped in, of course! It was truly magical!! Such a great experience all around!!! :goodvibes

6. Belle2007

Belle2007 Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone!

I am getting excited. I've read many of the threads mentioning the poly and overall I think that we will love it... :cool1:

7. missypaws

missypaws Mouseketeer

We have stayed there 3 times and love Hawaii. If you go without club level at Hawaii, hen the best house is Samoa. Close to everything and great view of the main pool. Hope you have fun. We at at AKLV in August. Love the quietness. Transportation is never an issue despite what others have reviewed.:)

8. LSchrow

LSchrow <font color=green>We're eating brussel sprouts & a

favorite things:
    the smell (really :cloud9:)
    the little creek that runs from the lobby to the outside
    the plants

kona

it's a gorgeous resort that envelops you in its sights, sounds, and scents :love:

9. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at the Poly once, but that was enough for us to fall in love with the resort and it's now our favorite :goodvibes. We stayed in Samoa and loved the location as it was just steps from the GCH, the volcano pool, the beach, and Captain Cooks. We love everything about the Poly. The rooms are large and spacious, the tropical atmosphere is beautiful, it's romantic walking around at night under the lit tiki torches, the beach is great for relaxing in a hammock while watching the fireworks, and it's magical being able to see the castle while swimming. We loved the Poly the minute we checked in and can't wait to return in December :).

10. ocalla

ocalla DIS Veteran

We are staying there as a split stay for the first time this July........and I also read every thread I can about it!!

I am so looking forward to staying there, it has been a dream of min for quite sometime. DH finally agreed to give it a try!!!

11. Shell54

Shell54 DIS Veteran

We loved staying CL in Hawaii. The Poly itself is a beautiful resort and we loved the Volcano pool as well as the quiet pool. The restaurants are great although we do not do Ohanas as the cattle call- chaos factor is a turn off..however Kona Cafe is fantastic. As others have said watching Wishes from the beach is magical and the easy monorail access to MK and TTK is unbeatable.

12. huntconn

huntconn "Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

One of my favorite things about the Poly are the beautiful grounds including the wide variety of plants and flowers, the torchlit walkways, the tikis around the grounds, etc. Also the fact that no matter what room classification you have, your room has an entire wall that is a sliding glass door, affording you a fantastic view of your surroundings. Whether your view is a top dollar MK view of the lagoon and castle or a GV with a view of the grounds, you can't go wrong.

13. Kimi313

Kimi313 DIS Veteran

Hearing about the Poly reminds me how much we love the Poly and miss it! The moment you walk in to the Poly you are transformed to another place. The music has a calming affect, the gardens are beautiful that you forget how much your feet hurt, and seeing the castle or watch wishes from the beach in a hammock is wonderful! I have never requested a longhouse except when we got lagoon view and we have never ever had a bad room or view. We love O'Hanas and the friendliness of the staff there and the whole atmosphere makes you feel like your surrounded by family. Captain Cook, a great place to grab some food and if you want to sit on the patio to eat that's even wonderful. We have had a great time at the luau and our planning going back this year but I have yet to eat at Kona's :eek:, I know! Last time we had drinks at the lounge and just hung out and talked to everyone it was so much fun. And the transportation, you can take the monorail to MK or my favorite take the boat over and you are just a short walk over to the TTC to jump on the Epcot monorail. I want to go back now!!

14. dr&momto2boys

dr&momto2boys DIS Veteran

I like the atmosphere and pools, plus being on the monorail. But mostly I love the restaurants. Kona Cafe is my favorite place in the world for breakfast. I have to have 'Ohana for dinner once every trip. I even like Captain Cook's better than most other quick service places...some unque offerings and even Dole Whip (but not Dole Whip floats!)

15. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

The large rooms
    Beautiful landscaping
    fun pool
    beach
    great dining options
    Great transportation
    Watching Wishes & EWP on the beach
    Being able to see MK & Castle from all around the resort.
    Kona Coffee bar :goodvibes

16. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

Lobby is beautiful with all the plants and flowers, as another poster wrote the creek running to the outside. The tiki torches, the volcano pool, Kona, and Ohana is our favorite place to eat. When we are at other resorts we try to make a reservation there. The :worship: Cast Members. Transportaton, the beach. It's my wife's favorite resort and a very close second behind the WL for me. A very close second.

17. karly05

karly05 DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Poly in 2004. I enjoyed it, although BC is still my favorite deluxe, and I'm a recent convert to POFQ.

Favorite memories about the Poly: Watching Wishes from the beach, and the little boat that runs to/from MK. LOVED Kona for lunches, although I haven't been there since '04 and I know the menu has changed. We had Standard View in Rarotonga and it was actually really good, close to the main building, and we could watch the monorail go by from our 3rd floor balcony.

18. lncbodsmom

lncbodsmom Earning My Ears

We stayed at Poly last end of April beginning of May for 10 days. We loved it. I had been there when I was a little girl and now being 40 was afraid it would seem "dated"- not so. They've kept it up very nice over the years. We had a ground room in Samoa building looking right at the pool. I was shocked how quiet our room was with all those kids at the pool for night swims, but really no noise at all! Sounds weird but I even like the smell in the lobby at Poly- tropical flower scent that brings back memories. We are planning another trip for this coming fall and kiddos want to stay at Contemporary this time, which is fine, but I would be more than happy to do Poly again!

19. peteykirch

peteykirch Mouseketeer

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

Waking up to that everyday just is the epitome of calm and tranquility, especially after dealing with the hustle and bustle of Disney.

20. ocalla

ocalla DIS Veteran

That is such a beautiful picture.

Thanks so much for sharing :thumbsup2

21. bluejasmine

bluejasmine DIS Veteran

ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!! The views, the location, the background music, the shops, he food, the ambiance everything!!

Ive avoided the Poly threads b/c I cant afford the Poly this trip and Im just home sick for the Poly but grateful to be able to be able to go to WDW after loosing my job..