Tell me HOW to make Disney affordable

Lots of great tips! We are a family of 5 (and just convinced hubs that YES we can go back to Disney this year lol) We are staying onsite for a few days this time - Fort Wilderness and renting a camper (no pop ups here-full blown mobile home lol) and it is one of the least expensive options to staying onsite. we usually do offsite (we own timeshares) and we find the price of parking is negligible compared with the cost of staying onsite. BUT I wanted to be onsite for Star wars weekend:cool1:

one suggestion I haven't seen yet-consider delaying the trip for 12-18 months (i know-bummer) BUT have your college child apply for a Disney College program internship-if s/he gets accepted and works there you will get some nice discounts on tickets/lodging (although with blackout dates)-plus it is a very cool thing to have on a resume!

Also- Sam's club offers $150 of Disney gift card for $143.00-not huge savings but it can add up quickly for meals etc:)

We are not a large family, but I have made our trips as frugal as possible. Here is what we did:
Stayed offsite with a kitchenette to prepare own meals. I booked about 90 days in advance to get the best deal possible on our hotel.
Bring your own food into the park. We had a stroller and brought in a small sized cooler. We have been on 3 disney parks trips(5 days each) and have only eaten one meal in the parks total.
Bought tickets when they went on sale with Orbitz for 20% off. They usually run this sale around presidents day.
We drove and I made sandwiches and snacks for the trip down.
I baked cookies and muffins ahead and ate them in the parks so the kids didn't feel too deprived in the parks.

We are not a large family, but I have made our trips as frugal as possible. Here is what we did:
Stayed offsite with a kitchenette to prepare own meals. I booked about 90 days in advance to get the best deal possible on our hotel.
This is a great tip! I have stayed in a house and a condo offsite and saved a BUNDLE by waiting until the last minute to book. The 4-bedroom house was only $800 over Christmas of 2012 and the 2-bedroom condo over Spring Break 2013 was just $412. Both were less than 10 minutes from Animal Kingdom and I booked both of them within 60 days of our arrival. There are a LOT of offsite places available and owners get to the point where they just want to fill their property.

You've gotten all the advice here that's going to save you any significant money. It's expensive and there's really not a whole lot you can do about that other than staying offsite and eating offsite as much as possible, etc. If you can go off-season, that helps, but we can't do that because dh is a teacher and you probably can't do that because you have so many older kids.

Personally, I'd get base tickets for as many days as you plan to be there. We paid for hoppers one year and never even hopped. It's no real problem to stay in one park all day. And once you've stayed several days, the subsequent days are pretty cheap ticket-wise, so I don't see the point in making one day a shopping day if I've gone all the way to WDW.

We really don't do souvenirs. The trip is the treat. We take lots of pictures and don't need to bring home a bunch of overpriced junk to clutter up the place.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but look at VacationCentralFlorida . com . They have Windsor Hills Condos and Townhouses. They get good reviews. Depending on the week, they start at $299 per week plus cleaning and taxes. They rent Saturday to Saturday.
I priced out a week in August and it was $438 total for a condo that sleeps 8.

We loved Bonnet Creek - a couple years ago we paid $125 a night (have heard others getting it cheaper). Two bedrooms, two baths (one with whirlpool), full kitchen, dining room and laundry. There is a splash area, lazy river and several pools. And it's on Disney property so you are very close to the parks.

Hope you can make it work!

We are a family of 7. According to Disney's logic, 4 adults and 3 children. Tix to the park would cost over $2000. The cheapest hotel I can find (we would travel in July/Aug timeframe) which would uncomfortably fit 7 would be in the $1000 range (this is taking nothing into consideration, maybe proximity to the parks, just trying to fit 7 in 1 room). We would drive down from Boston as the airfare would be in the $2000 range as well. We haven't had a Disney vacation in over 10 years (when there were less mouths to feed). The kids ask DAILY when we are going and the last 2 kids have never been. My oldest will be heading to college this fall and we would really like to go to Disney before family vacations no longer appeal to him. BUT obviously the expense of a Disney vacation for a family of this size is HUGE. I am pretty frugal and always research my options well regarding pricing. That being said, I would still like to know if anyone has any suggestions on some serious penny pinching in regard to hotel/park tix which is the bulk of our expense here. Reading suggestions, websites, personal experience...whatever you can share, I will appreciate. I love having a large family but Disney vacations are affordable for a family of 4, not 7. :headache:

1) Unfortunately the park tickets are not going to change in price. You could try to get Disney GC at a discount, Target sometimes has a good deal, Sam's sometime offers a GC package around 100.00 to 200.00 with a discount. Disney credit cards offers points, with the trip around the corner not sure if this would help.

2) Staying off site will be you best option. We have negotiated the price on rental townhouse, and saved this way. Also if you have stay with someone before try to use them again they are more like to agree to a discount.

3) I am not for cooking on vacation after all your on vacation to. Breakfast in house - Cereal, milk, pop-Tarts, breakfast bars, Toast, yogurt, fruit, bagel and cream cheese. See if there is a crock pot in the unit, if not bring one as you will be driving. My friend has a larger family than you, she will make red sauce in the crock pot, she will use a couple of jars of store bought sauce bring some herbs and such from home, add in onions and mushrooms and a couple bags of meatballs, she use it with pasta one night and meatball subs the next. You could do this over night and just reheat when you get back to the room. lots of options here, and keep it simple, Order Pizza and Chinese takeout , Olive Garden, and O Charleys, for take out, check local coupon site for added discounts, Sweet tomatoes normally has some good deals.

4) Bring snacks and water into the parks,( don't throw away the bottle refill
them,( you can bring water flavoring in lots of choices) if you have a stroller this is much easier, use a freezer thingy to keep the drinks and snacks cool, (nothing in glass). Granola, cereal bars, apples or oranges and cracker or chips.

5) As for dinning in the parks, in would spring for a lunch time sit down, this way you can pace yourself, and get a great meal. You can share meals if this would work for your family. Just let the server know ahead of time and ask for a extra plate sometime they will divided it for you.You can not share at buffet, but you might want to have one meal with the characters.. If you are going to go the QS service route, there are a lot of options that can be shared easily, you will have to do some homework on this. Check out some of the resort QS, as well, there options are quite different then the ones in the park, and this does give you a chance to break away from the parks for a few minutes.

6)Travel to and from your home is quite a distance, check the route, for gas prices, this is a small savings but every bit helps. Not sure if you are going to be stopping for the night, you can rent 1 room, and have the older 3 kiddos sleep on the floor like camping.. its only one night each way. Check travel sites for deals on hotels, also do you have any priority points, holiday inn, Hilton another way for discounts on the rates.

Have a wonderful time.

Yeah it seems like the kids don't even care about eating, at least mine anyway. Too excited. Soem special treats will make them as happy as a big meal in the heat.

Whew, I wish!! lol. my kids go on vacation specifically for the ability to eat out!! even as toddlers they knew how to order off a menu. :lmao:

My suggestion for tickets may not work for your family but when we were struggling I bought say a 3 or 4 day ticket and added the water park and fun option. This could stretch into a weeks worth of entertainment for us. We went and played mini golf, went to Disney Quest, Typhoon lagoon and Blizzard Beach. I realize adding on days to a ticket really doesn't increase the cost a huge amount after about 4 days but every little bit counts sometimes.

Whew, I wish!! lol. my kids go on vacation specifically for the ability to eat out!! even as toddlers they knew how to order off a menu. :lmao:

Haha! I had to make my son eat and, more importantly, drink while at Disney! He would get really cranky and I would have to sit him down in the shade with a bottle of water. He doesn't like to stop when he is busy. Now tat he is older, he is a better eater in those situations.

The funny thing though, some of his memories involved food! he loved the brats we got in Germany and at Ohana he got a green apple frozen drink that he talked about for weeks after.

I haven't read all of the replies, but I would rent a house at Windsor Hills. We have done this with a larger group and it was perfect. Windsor Hills is VERY CLOSE to Disney. We did have annual passes that year so we had free parking at the parks so you would have to figure that into the equation. You would have SO MUCH SPACE and since you are driving you would would be able to eat off property too.

Mine too. They have their "must-do" restaurants and look forward to all of they treats, desserts, snacks, etc that they don't get at home!

However, I do bring things like PopTarts, which are cheap. They only get them on vacation and think they are a real treat. My neighbors thought it was horrible when my girls were excited to go to DW and eat PopTarts as their kids get them everyday. Lol

If someone in your family works for a big company that is associated with Disney or the theme parks, like IBM, Coke, or GM, etc., then they may have the ability to buy tickets at a straight 12% discount. I work at IBM, and our intranet has a link to the WDW Ticket Store with "Specially-Priced Theme Park Tickets".

I second this, I used to work for IBM I just had my friend purchase tickets for me using his IBM intranet and I think he saved me $140 for three 5d hopper tickets. For 7 people you can save more that double this amount.

We are a family of 7. According to Disney's logic, 4 adults and 3 children. Tix to the park would cost over $2000. The cheapest hotel I can find (we would travel in July/Aug timeframe) which would uncomfortably fit 7 would be in the $1000 range (this is taking nothing into consideration, maybe proximity to the parks, just trying to fit 7 in 1 room). We would drive down from Boston as the airfare would be in the $2000 range as well. We haven't had a Disney vacation in over 10 years (when there were less mouths to feed). The kids ask DAILY when we are going and the last 2 kids have never been. My oldest will be heading to college this fall and we would really like to go to Disney before family vacations no longer appeal to him. BUT obviously the expense of a Disney vacation for a family of this size is HUGE. I am pretty frugal and always research my options well regarding pricing. That being said, I would still like to know if anyone has any suggestions on some serious penny pinching in regard to hotel/park tix which is the bulk of our expense here. Reading suggestions, websites, personal experience...whatever you can share, I will appreciate. I love having a large family but Disney vacations are affordable for a family of 4, not 7. :headache:

We are a family of 6, soon to be 7.
On site will have its limits financially--so I will tell you what we do but then give suggestions for you.

1. We own DVC and fit in a 2BR. Don't recall what we paid originally, but somewhere around $15-$20K. (If anyone recalls what AK was priced per point in 2008.) Points are available resale if you ever found yourself returning frequently.
-what you can do....
1. If in site is a goal, rent DVC points for a 2BR. It will still be expensive, but not too bad for on site and cheaper than multiple hotel rooms.
2. If off site works: CONDO or house! Way cheaper than on site even with DVC rentals. We stayed for a week at Summer Bay in December. Not by Disney's doorstep. But door to door in about 30 minutes. Not too bad for a condo we paid around $400 for for 7 days. The "commute" was Totally worth the steal of a deal.

2. Tickets--yeah, they stink on cost for out of state. For our 2012 trip as non-Florida residents, we limited our park days and had no park hoppers. It wasn't a dream trip, so a 4 day pass was adequate. We did add a Halloween party. This year, we are back in Florida and bought APs. We used $700 in Disney reward dollars to alleviate the cost of those tickets. So you could get a Disney Visa to help with that.

3. Transportation--we drive now as we are close. For our 2012 trip, we would have driven, but landed a deal on JetBlue. Due to a time constraint on when we could leave and when we had to return, we opted for the $200pp RT non-stop ticket. flying is certainly expensive. But if I had to drive, we would. We use our hilton honors points for a room on the way.
You could drive and stop and get 2 rooms at an inexpensive hotel on the way down.

4. Food: breakfast in the room, counter service lunch in the park, dinner off site. We don't eat big breakfasts--so we buy quickie items for the room for breakfast. We have done this forever all the way back to when we were just a family of 3.

Counter service costs us around $60. And there are off site deals to be found. Having a condo or a house or a DVC rental will also allow for meal prep in the room, another way to make it more affordable if you are so inclined.

Disney vacations can certainly be affordable. It just depends upon what in are willing to sacrifice. If you have a list of must haves, then that leaves little wiggle room. The more you can let go--then the more likelihood you can have an affordable trip.

Haven't read all the postings. But another option would be two rooms at a Value resort - with 4 people in each room.

Stay offsite. I know that renting DVC points saves money, but it saves on the cost of a DELUXE resort. We rented a studio at Boardwalk Villas over Columbus Day weekend and it cost me $209 a night. YES, it saved me over $200 a night if I'd gone rack rate with Disney, but it was still $209 for a studio villa that sleeps 4. To us, that's a splurge, not a way to make the trip more affordable.

If you want to do a character meal, do breakfast. While character meals seem to be quite the splurge, they will save you TIME, and at Disney, time equals money (because you've seen the price of park tickets!). At Crystal Palace, you will meet Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore. It can easily take 2 hours of waiting in line in the parks to meet all 4 characters, if not longer, so this is something to consider when planning your trip. Breakfast is cheaper than lunch, lunch is cheaper than dinner. However, if you book an ADR for the latest breakfast seating and are still there when they set out the lunch buffet, you can continue eating lunch foods for the breakfast price; you just have to be seated during breakfast. This is a cheaper way to get your kids filled up mid-day, and you could do something light/simple at the condo for dinner. Same deal at lunch-our ADR was for 3:30, which was still lunch time, so lunch prices. However, by the time we could be seated, order beverages, and watch a tad of the parade passing by outside, they'd set out the dinner buffet. We ate and only paid for the lunch price. I am not advocating character meals as cheap, but if you have kids who HAVE to meet a special character, sometime this is easier than waiting in long meet-n-greet lines (especially in August!).

I am not saying this is a way to fund your vacation, but sometimes DVC offers gift cards for doing the time-share tour of their properties. DD and I did this and it was easy-peasy. It took us about 2 hours from pick up to drop off, and we got a $150 gift card for doing the tour. Your oldest kids could take the youngers to the park while you and DH do the tour, and DVC will drop you off at the park of your choice after the tour! This can be iffy, as DVC offers a variety of incentives that sometimes aren't as lucrative, or you might not want to spend your time this way or know where to find a DVC kiosk, but if it's offered to you, it could be worth it.

IF you are eating in the parks, share meals, especially at lunch time. Peruse the menus available online before going and eat at places that offer good deals. For example, DD and I always share the BBQ chicken at Flame Tree BBQ in AK. It's a full half-chicken with cole slaw and beans. I eat the dark quarter, she takes the breast; it's as much chicken as either of us would eat for supper at home, and we share the beans and cole slaw. I think it costs about $10. COuld you bring PB&J for cheaper? Sure… but this makes everyone feel like they "ate out" and I'm not sure where else you can do take out for $5 per person and get a full meal. You can also find deals like this at Cosmic Rays, or share platters at any of the Epcot counter service locations, and don't forget to consider splitting double burger meals, or ordering off the kids menus at lunch time. Especially if it's hot outside (you did say July/august, right?), many folks don't like to eat a big meal.

IF you aren't eating in the parks but don't want to do a whole lot of cooking, Olive Garden take-out can be a good deal. We have discovered that OG provides huge salads with their take out meals. We order half of the meals with salad (or fewer than half) and the rest with soup. We share the salads at dinner, and save the soup for another lunch or dinner. I know, OG isn't necessarily cheap, but if you are sharing meals or ordering kids meals, being able to stretch the salad and soup to be part of another meal helps with costs.

If you are cooking in your condo, bring spices from home. You can really jazz up a cheap meal if you have some garlic powder, chili powder, basil, oregano, and cumin with you. Just pour from your home stock into little baggies. My aunt has been known to bring big containers of frozen meat (spaghetti) sauce with her. They'll have it on pasta one night, and then she throws in chili powder, more garlic, and cumin to turn it info chili w/rice for the second night… leftovers are put on tortilla chips with cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc., and becomes nachos for the third night. Italian goes tex-mex just by adding the right spices!

No souvenirs. The trip is the souvenir. If you MUST buy everyone something, go to the Disney outlet and buy things cheaply. We have scored tee shirts and towels for less than $10 each. One year we got sterling silver charms for $5 each- and characters that I couldn't get in the Disney Store at home.

Definitely look into the cost of 4 day park tickets with waterparks and more. I don't know if they are cheaper or not… but definitely worth looking into. Touring the theme parks in the summer is brutally hot entertainment; it might be nice to intersperce park days with water park days! I wouldn't pay for park hopping, though. Is it nice to change parks? Sometimes, especially if you want to have dinner ADRs in Epcot/World Showcase most evenings, but it's totally not necessary to park hop to have a wonderful time at Disney!

Well with that size family, if your hearts desire is to stay onsite.

I would plan for a trip during free dinning at moderate 2 rooms.

5 nights, 4 day passes non hopper.

Drive down. stop mid way for the night/day. at place of interest.

With a budget of 8k.

You can also try FloridaVacationAuction .com and check out everything they have available for Orlando. They have vacation homes, hotels, villas and activities as well.

Haven't read all the postings. But another option would be two rooms at a Value resort - with 4 people in each room.

As a parent of a larger family myself, I get very weary of this suggestion for two reasons.

1. Disney will not guarantee conjoined rooms in writing. They will do their best to accommodate the need for them and the phone reservationists say that their system will makes sure reservation with only 2 adults and more than 2 kids will have conjoined rooms, but will not guarantee in writing. As most people with larger families can attest, a hotel reservation that doesn't guarantee conjoined rooms in writing means that there is a chance that mom and dad get to sleep in separate rooms for the trip. :crazy2: I'm not willing to take that chance.

2. Cost.
  • The cost for a value room in the least expensive value season (January - mid February) is $85 plus 12% tax, total of $95.20, at All Star Movies. That gives a total of $190.40 for two rooms. That's $1332.80 for a week. If OP is willing to drive 2-5 miles, prices could be far less. Without even trying to find a bargain, I can use Sky Auction to get a 3 bedroom condo for $830 for two weeks from now.
  • In July, the same two rooms would be $2448.28. I can book a 3 bedroom condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek via Sky Auction right now for seven nights in July for $969 ($1071 including six days parking at the parks. I add this because so many people act like the $17 a day for parking somehow negates the off site savings). This is a savings of $1377 plus OP would have a kitchen and be able to save a bundle on dining. We've stayed at WBC. We spent no more than 15 minutes driving to any park. OP already stated they are driving, so they will have a car and DME is not needed.
  • We personally have paid $333 for a 3 bedroom for Silver Lake in Sept. The cheapest Disney value resort for the exact same week would cost $1630.72 with tax for two rooms for seven nights. I can find a lot of Disney magic for the extra $1195 that I'm not spending on lodging and parking. Even if I could get free dining for that week, I'm saving money off site because our food budget is a LOT less than $1195.
  • VRBO. I could check into one on Tuesday for $462 for the week. A little research can yield some great accommodation for significant savings over Disney value resorts.

My suggestion is related to the timing of your trip. If you can, go April Vacation or the last week of August, and if the last week of august try to leave before labor day weekend. The parks will be less crowded and the prices at the hotels are lower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter