Tell me everything you love about POR...

elastigirlfan

DIS Veteran
We are staying at POR for the 1st time this Thanksgiving. This is a very special trip for 2 reasons...#1 - we are bringing my Mom with us and this is her 1st time at WDW and #2 - this is our first time at WDW at Thanksgiving. We are getting 2 rooms at POR, hopefully connecting. We requested AB but won't be devasted if we get the Mansions....they look beautiful too. I would just love to hear everything you love about this resort & everything and anything about it... we are so excited about our upcoming trip. We have stayed at AKL once and the other times we have camped at FW in our camper. The pictures of POR look beautiful. Hope to hear back from some of you...thanks.

We stayed at POR in October 2004 and loved it!! We were only there 4 days and spent a lot of time in the parks so did not take advantage of everything but what we did see was so nice.

1. Lovely grounds. I really felt as if I was in another world when I'd return from the parks.
2. Nice pool and water slide. Towels at the pool were great.
3. Prompt check-in and rooms cleaned well.
4. Boat to DD looked nice, although did not ride it.

This resort is very pretty. Here are some things that I like about it:

They have a great gift shop (much bigger and better selection that fq).

Boatwright's is a great restaurant. It has been one of our family's hidden gems. We always hit it once, at least!

I like the idea of the quiet pools. They can be much less crowded.

The main area near the food court is so pretty.

The boat to DTD.

Have a great trip!

We will be there too at Thanksgiving (Nov 24-28th) and this will be our first time staying onsite, I've heard great things about POR so I'm sure both of our families will enjoy. :) We're also hoping to do a carriage ride with the kids while we are there. :thumbsup2

We stayed at POR March 05 and it was our first and only experience with a moderate resort and we fell in love with POR! It is beautiful! We stayed in Arcadian Mansion, the furnishings were very nice dark wood headboards, armour(sp?) bench and hat rack, room also had two pedistal sinks and a fridge nicely concealed in a dark wood cabinet. We were right across from a bridge that took you to Old Man Island where we swam each night after returning from the parks, I loved the walk each morning to the foodcourt (Im an early riser) to get breakfast in the morning, its so pretty in the morning. Food court had lots of variety and decent food. The kids loved the arcade and we liked taking the boat to DTD. I had gotten a code that saved me like $600 off the price of my room so I made room only ressies and bought my tickets from mapleleaf but since then I have been booking packages with free dining and staying in value because its more affordable for me.. I would go back to POR in a heartbeat tho!

We stayed there when it was Dixie Landings. It is our favorite moderate resort because it is so beautiful ... the landscaping is lush and gorgeous. Boatwrights has wonderful food, and the food court is very large and has a great selection of food as well ... even caramel apples! The gift shop is large and well-stocked, and the boat to DD is great. You'll love it!

Im sure you will love it, the landscaping is beautiful, you will think you are in a Deluxe resort.

The food court is ok, rooms were nice but my most favourite part was the boat ride to DTD, very relaxing and at night very romantic.

We love POR. We have stayed in the mansions and in AB. We are going to be there for Thanksgiving also. We also need 2 rooms and are hoping for AB. We just love this resort. There is a sense of calmness at POR. After a day of "running" around the world it's nice to return to a calm home. Have a great trip and look for our little ailen green mickey heads.

Before the name change to POR, it was Dixie Landings, in 1997.
Now we are also booked to stay there come this November.....I am so excited to be going back to POR after 9 years.
It was such a terrific resort.
The atmosphere is peaceful.
Love the Theme.
Great Pool for Kids & Love Quiet Pools for a quick dip.
The walk from AB to the Main Bldg is pleasant.
Walking thru AB at night when returning to the resort.
Convenient & Easy Boat to DTD.
Good Variety & Spacious Food Court.
The cute little "rustic log" furniture in the AB rooms.
Nice that they now have a fridge.
You Will Love It !!
Have a Blast !! :wizard: princess:

Okay, you asked for it and here it is - Great things about PORS:

1 - You get 2 resorts in one and a beautiful view of seeing what most of the South looks like (at least for LA and MS). Not only do you have access to PORS but you also have access to POFQ. Both are beautiful and I tell everyone to take some time to walk around both resorts and notice the beautiful details that the developers did with the architecture (no two buildings look alike even the AB buildings have subtle differences between them).
2 - Notice the beautiful landscaping from the streams/bayou area in the AB section to the gazebo and rose and tree gardens in the mansions section to the french quarter garden look just a short walk down the canal to the FQ section. All are beautiful and serene.
3 - RS has quiet pools with laundry rooms right next to them and plenty of seating to relax around the pool. These pools are quiet and a nice get away to just relax. Then there is Ole Man Island with a very nice warm pool, cute slide, hot tub and pool bar with wonderful pina coloda's. You can also walk over to FQ and enjoy their Doubloon Lagoon pool area as well. Ole Man island also has a kid area built like a fort for play.
4 - Boats and bikes are for rent during the day. Then there is the boat that runs to DTD (please take a ride as you'll enjoy it and will generally get a nice tour of the area from the captain). Plenty of fun to be had at DTD.
5 - Bob's show in the Riveroost lounge (usually from Wednesday till Saturday night). This is a kid friendly show and a must see for everyone going to PORS or FQ. Get to the lounge at least 20 minutes before Bob's show begins as the lounge will fill up quickly and everyone loves his show.
6 - I would also tell you to eat a breakfast and dinner at Boatwrights as I have never had a bad meal there.
7 - You can do decent shopping at the resorts theme shop, food court is okay and the arcade is also a decent size. There is also a horse/buggy ride should you wish to pay for something extra but be warned it is romantic.

The only negative that I can list is the time of year that your going as the resort is generally quiet but will be packed that week for Thanksgiving. Due to the crowd size I would suggest that you catch the main bus from the front of resort outside of the theme shop area. The bus goes to pick up from FQ first then will pick up from RS and it may be full and not make the run around the complex if it fills up quickly.

Your going to have a great time.

This may sounds crazy, but I love the beds in the AB section. I went there several years ago for a business trip (travel agent) and checked out all of the hotels and the minute I saw those beds, I knew I would have to sleep in one. So next month I will!!!!! :yay:

Also, I love that you can take a boat to DTD. It's just so nice, not to have to get on a bus. I also love looking (OK lusting after) the old treehouses. I wish we could stay in them!! :cloud9:

We just got back Tues. night from a 6-night stay at POR. We really enjoyed our stay! Things I liked:
1. Good variety of foods at the Rivermill Food Court.
2. Family of 5 - DS 9 & DS 6 thought the trundle bed was Cool! :thumbsup2
3. Even during Peak season - rarely had anyone pass our room (or at least we didn't notice) Very Quiet!
4. Boat Ride to DTD-awesome! Very relaxing. :cloud9:
5. Beautiful Landscaping
6. Building 14 was so convienent to everything! Food Court, Main Pool, South Bus Depot
I'm jealous - ready to go back in a moments notice! Have a great time! :yay:

DITTO to everything wonderful that's already been posted. Also the CMs at POR are terrific!! We're going back in September. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter