Tell me about it Magical Express

ilovedisneymm

DIS Veteran
My oldest child and her BF will be joing us for part of our trip. They will be coming and going from the Orlando airport to Fort Wilderness. How often does the bus pick up at the airport and how long will they be on the bus until it drops them off at FW? Same question for when they leave...Are there hourly pick ups at FW on their departure day or ?

I assume this transportation is free but how do they or do they need to prove anything?

First you need to call and make the reservation with them.(407) 939-1936

Then you will receive something in the mail that you show when you get to the magical express. Or you can scan your magic band.
The busses are continuously loading and leaving the airport. As they fill up, they pull out.
Last month we took the bus to FW. We were one of the last people to get on. We stopped at 3 other resorts before FW. It took about 90 minutes from the time we landed to getting to FW.
For return, you should receive an envelope the morning before departure with your scheduled pick up time. It should be about 3 hours before your flight time. You need that paper to get on the bus.
Our experience was a pick up at 2:20 for a 5:05 flight. We were the first pick up and then we went to 3 other resorts. Arrived at the airport at 3:45 which I felt was cutting it way too close. If we stay at the fort again and use the magical express, I will probably call and see if we can get an earlier pick up.

ur experience was a pick up at 2:20 for a 5:05 flight. We were the first pick up and then we went to 3 other resorts. Arrived at the airport at 3:45 which I felt was cutting it way too close. If we stay at the fort again and use the magical express, I will probably call and see if we can get an earlier pick up.
You can always call to get an earlier pickup and that request is always granted when made punctually. Punctually is on or before morning of the day before the day you will leave.

I suggest writing to Disney since your experience is a problem. Include all of the following but do not make suggestions (do not put words in their mouths):

* Our Magical Express pickup was 2:20 for a 5:05 flight home.
* We stopped at 3 other resorts on the way.
* Arrived at the airport at 3:45 which was cutting it way too close.
* Magical Express is designed to get guests to the airport 2 hours before their flights.

Not sure whether you should specify an earlier but fake flight when setting up your DME ride home. This is doable at the welcoming area at the airport after landing or at your resort upon check-in. ...Rather than wait for the confirmation page to arrive at your door morning of the day before you will leave. If you need to make a change or correction then then you need to get the new confirmation in hand as soon as that is ready which could be mid-afternoon.

ilovedisneymm said:
Are there hourly pick ups at FW on their departure day or ?
Yes, and no.

During busy times buses will come about every half hour to take guests home (well, part way). But if no one was expected to be picked up then a time slot will be skipped. All that is academic because you must have an advance reservation for a specific bus time.

Last edited:

We felt ours cut it way too close also. I don't remember exact times, but I know that the bus picked us up less than 3 hours before our flight. They had trouble checking our luggage at the resort, so we had to do it at the airport. Between the two other stops and the long lines for checking baggage which made MCO have us go downstairs to a different check in area, we were quite rushed. We grabbed a snack from Starbucks, and by the time we got to the gate and finished our snacks, they were boarding. I'm usually one to procrastinate and wait till the last minute, but some things I want to make sure I'm there. I surely wouldn't have wanted to wait to see if we could get on a later flight especially since we had a 6/7 hour drive after landing (we flew from where my nephew lives).

You can always call to get an earlier pickup and that request is always granted when made punctually. Punctually is on or before morning of the day before the day you will leave.

I suggest writing to Disney since your experience is a problem.
Yes, I need to do that. I felt like it worked out in the end and we made it so I wasn't sure if I needed to write in. But I really should tell them so they can make adjustments to their process. I get that FW is different from the values where we stayed before. We didn't go to any other resort from AoA or all stars so there was plenty of time. At FW, 3 groups got on so of course they're going to other resorts.

When you get your departure info call Bell Services and they will arrange to pick them and their luggage up on departure day and bring them up to the Outpost. It's not included in DME so they can tip the driver accordingly. I know they do this for the Cabins but I have a feeling they do this for the campsites as well

Last month we stopped at OKW, Saratoga Springs, PORS, POFQ, and finally FW. Took about and hour once the bus got underway.

Yes, I need to do that. I felt like it worked out in the end and we made it so I wasn't sure if I needed to write in. But I really should tell them so they can make adjustments to their process. I get that FW is different from the values where we stayed before. We didn't go to any other resort from AoA or all stars so there was plenty of time. At FW, 3 groups got on so of course they're going to other resorts.

We stay Deluxe at BCV and always stop at 3 resorts. This is not unique to FW

We stay Deluxe at BCV and always stop at 3 resorts. This is not unique to FW
Yes I realize that. I was meaning that the times we took it from the values there were enough people from those resorts to fill the bus so we had lots of time left. DME needs to rethink their scheduling if it's going to take so long to pick up when there are multiple stops. I wouldn't mind an earlier pickup if it means we have enough time to get through security. Next time we stay at FW, I will either request an earlier pick up or pay my own way there.

It may have taken so long also due to other guests. At one stop, one group was repacking their suitcases. Another lady needed to use the wheelchair lift but she had returned the wheelchair she was using. The driver wouldn't let her ride the lift unless she had a wheelchair. So they had to get a wheelchair from the resort for her to use to get on the bus. Maybe our experience was out of the ordinary and the stops can be done quicker. Not sure what the usual experience is for others when multiple stops are involved. It doesn't take that long once you're on the road but the stops ate up a bunch of time.

Yes I realize that. I was meaning that the times we took it from the values there were enough people from those resorts to fill the bus so we had lots of time left. DME needs to rethink their scheduling if it's going to take so long to pick up when there are multiple stops. I wouldn't mind an earlier pickup if it means we have enough time to get through security. Next time we stay at FW, I will either request an earlier pick up or pay my own way there.

It may have taken so long also due to other guests. At one stop, one group was repacking their suitcases. Another lady needed to use the wheelchair lift but she had returned the wheelchair she was using. The driver wouldn't let her ride the lift unless she had a wheelchair. So they had to get a wheelchair from the resort for her to use to get on the bus. Maybe our experience was out of the ordinary and the stops can be done quicker. Not sure what the usual experience is for others when multiple stops are involved. It doesn't take that long once you're on the road but the stops ate up a bunch of time.
After our 2nd time using ME with a less then 3 hour pickup time at POFQ which had stopped at OKW and SSR (as it has in all our trips back to MCO) I now call and ask for a pickup over 3 hours . It has made things less rushed at MCO. The lines at TSA there are always long and just seem slow .

Yes, those other 'things' happening did increase your time!!! If guests are ready and waiting, at the stop, it takes less than 5 mins to board them and get on the road. This is the amount of time Disney figures on. I've been on buses that had to make stops at two other resorts....I was the first stop. But, upon arrival at those resorts, no one was there, waiting!!! If, for some reason, I'm not going to use DME to return to the airport, I always let DME know, beforehand. That way, they won't stop for me. If I was the only person at the resort using that bus, it would be a needless, and time consuming, stop!!! Drivers tend to sit and wait, just in case the guests come running up!!! We had one bus sitting at CBR, waiting for the other half of a group to arrive. The first part of the group, about 7 people, ambled on up to the bus, after it had been sitting there for 3 or 4 mins, and had their bags stowed and boarded! They told the driver the whole group wasn't there yet. After another 5+ min wait, the boarded group said to just leave. Then,, the driver noticed an unattended bag on the curb. She asked if it belonged to anyone on the bus. Nope. She got off the bus to check with Luggage Assistance. They finally took it, the driver boarded, and we left. Without the other half of that group. But, by that time, we had spent close to 15+ mins at that resort alone!!!!

Last week our pick up time at POP was 6:25am for a 10:05 flight. I thought that was over kill but the line at MCO security took us approx 35 min.

I've had a similar experience (DME made 4 stops then we had to turn around because someone left their wheelchair behind) so now I pay for a town car to take me back to MCO. I'd much rather sit there an extra hour then be on the bus frantic that I won't make my flight.

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll post it here. We usually rent a car and don't use DME that much - only about 10 times so far, but never on a weekend until the most recent trip. Our experiences have always been good but when we got to MCO on this trip we arrived on Saturday, 12/5 and we had a 2.5 hour wait in the line to get on the bus. That seemed very excessive to me. We stayed at AoA for that segment. The lines were very long for all resorts and spread outside the entry kiosks. Just thought I'd mention it.

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll post it here. We usually rent a car and don't use DME that much - only about 10 times so far, but never on a weekend until the most recent trip. Our experiences have always been good but when we got to MCO on this trip we arrived on Saturday, 12/5 and we had a 2.5 hour wait in the line to get on the bus. That seemed very excessive to me. We stayed at AoA for that segment. The lines were very long for all resorts and spread outside the entry kiosks. Just thought I'd mention it.
Our longest wait was a Saturday around 10:30 am but it wasn't that long (75 minutes). I think we might have "punted" & gotten a taxi .Of course due to arrival delays because of weather at the departing airports I can understand how things can backup.

There is no way in heck I would wait 2 1/2 hours for the bus. No way! Holy smokes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter