Tell me about Costa Maya, Mexico

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by cpdrn7, Apr 4, 2013.

1. cpdrn7

cpdrn7 Mouseketeer

Is there a lot of nice shopping to do? Or is like Cozumel?
    What did you do while there? The time is only like four hours...don't know if it worth getting off the boat....
    Please give me your opinions!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cpc430

cpc430 Mouseketeer

We were thinking of seeing the Mayan Ruins at this port with DS9 and DD7. We've never seen them before and figured since it was a short port, it might be a good port to see them...

4. erinsmom03

erinsmom03 Mouseketeer

We were there in February. There are several tourist shops, we wandered around for a little while. My DH found a place to get our passports stamped there, which we were happy about, since you can't get them stamped on the ship anymore. The best part of all was the swimming pool. It sounded too wierd to me, to go swimming in the middle of the port, and we didn't even have bathing suits with us. Wish we would have, it was the best part of the port. Not much else, to be honest. We were off and back on again in about 1 and 1/2 hours.

5. Mickeyhugger

Mickeyhugger DIS Veteran

Costa Maya used to be (for us) the port with the least amount to do.

Then we discovered Tropicante beach! It's awesome. Clear, warm waters, and a good deal on massages. There's not much shopping (nothing like you'll find in the eastern Caribbean.)

I wish there were more cruises to Costa Maya. Only one other problem, there is not enough time there (5 hours at best.)

6. erinsmom03

erinsmom03 Mouseketeer

I found a picture of the pool...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Nice wading area with bubblers for kids, deeper area that we didn't check out because none of us had suits on... if you just want to experience the port quickly, this was a nice place to hang out, lots of places to get a beverage nearby...

7. chudson98

chudson98 Mouseketeer

Wow! Beautiful picture of the pool. Is there a charge to use it? Does it get crowded? :confused3

8. cpdrn7

cpdrn7 Mouseketeer

Please do tell more about this pool, where is it? What is the cover charge? How far from the ship? Can you walk to this? Or do you need to take a taxi?

9. Buckeye218

Buckeye218 DVC Member since 2004

The port area wasn't very impressive when we were there in June 2012. We took a cab to Mahahual (5-10 minutes) and ate a long, leisurely lunch at Fernando's 100% Agave....fantastic authentic cuisine at very affordable prices. I was told cruise ship employees from many lines visit Fernando's when in port and sure enough, there were DCL employees there (my wife recognized them...I'm terrible at that).

We may try Tropicante next time we're in port.

We didn't go swimming/snorkeling as we weren't in port that long, but Mahahual is part of the Great Maya Reef System which spans from Mexico to Honduras....it is billed as the second largest barrier reef in the world.

10. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

very undeveloped with limited shopping, excursions, etc....our least favorite port on the WC and understandable how Disney is dropping it in 2014 from what i saw...

we did the dune buggy excursion- first stop was the "pee-pee" stop so people could go to the bathroom; though no one really had to....it was really a stop at one of those fake silver jewelry places to get them to haggle with you to buy something...

the dune buggies were fun and we went to a beach- the same one where the all day beach excursion went to...the beach floor was covered with seaweed- the kind of seaweed that hurts your feet....

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

that's the pool you pass as you are walking back to the ship- its a looooooonnngggg walk back to the ship...i believe you have to walk past this pool to get back to the ship....there are some shops around with jewlery, leather goods and i believe there's a senor frogs there....

would not be jumping into that pool though- don't know how clean it is...

12. iadizfans

iadizfans Mouseketeer

Another downside.. The ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland can be a real killer (seasickness) if seas are choppy. They were handing everyone bags :( as they boarded.

13. Imedley200

Imedley200 Mouseketeer

We went to Tropicante in November and loved it! It was one of our trip highlights and we'd definitely go back.

14. patti226

patti226 Mouseketeer

When we went last October we weren't suppose to be there very long either si we didn't plan anything to do and then the day before we arrived they informed us that we would be in port until I believe it was 11 pm so we just hung out at the pier went swimming and did a little shopping and the got back on the ship for dinner then more shopping and pictures of the ship after dark. I wish I had known ahead of time and I would have planned something to do, but it was nice to shop and not feel rushed also the pool was clean and the kids liked it. They also had a dolphin swim right at the pier.

15. canadiandisneycruise

canadiandisneycruise Mouseketeer

Went in November 2012. Took a "jungle bus" as my kids call it to the tropicante. Loved it. Beautiful warm clean shallow water for the kids, & great drinks for the adults. Also offers free wifi. Kids loved the nachos & my dd & aunt had great massages. Kids also got henna "tattoos" for cheap!!!

16. erinsmom03

erinsmom03 Mouseketeer

There wasn't an admission to use the pool. It was very clean; I was super nervous ahead of time as to whether or not I would be okay with the pool, but I didn't have any problem after we saw it...personally, it looked cleaner than the pools on the ship!

The walk off the ship to the port is about 10-15 minutes, depending on how slow you walk. There is a tram for part of the walk. The pier is just really long.

This is what the port looks like...not much to it, really.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This is the best shot that I got that shows you about how long the pier is...I've certainly walked much further in a day at Disney or on the streets of Chicago!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

17. sftnslky

sftnslky **May every day be filled with Magical memories**

:scared1: You were not kidding when you said a REALLY long pier. I have fibromyalgia and walk pretty slow, it would take me a REALLY long time to walk the length of the pier, by the time I got to the end it would be time to turn around and get back on the ship :rotfl: