Tell me about ALDIS please

7beasley

DIS Veteran
We gave an Aldis grocery store opening in my town next week. I have seen people posting about it as a place for good deals. Can you tell me about it? Is it a regular grocery store or a discount store? Does it have name brands? Can you give me some idea of prices.

Thanks!!

Here is a link to their home page. It should give you an idea of what types of things they have.

http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm

They carry a limited amount of items, but what they have is priced nicely. I haven't been in a long time though. All of what they carry may not be to your liking, but you will find some things that will be good. The prices will be a lot better than normal stores. The savings can really add up. :)

The majority of items is their own brand. It's best to just try a few new things each time you go to see if you will like them. I go every so often and get Chicken Cordon Bleu, chocolate chips, flour, sugar, oil, shredded cheese, butter,...... Some items I won't touch. Produce is very cheap at mine but is not refridgerated so it's hit or miss on quality. They usually have an area for special items like name brands or seasonal items. They don't bag and they charge for bags so either take your own or grab a box off the shelf if you're buying quite a bit.

There are tons of threads about Aldis -- you can do a search of Aldis, and read thru them to get a real good idea of what most of us buy there.

I shop there quite a bit because of their outstanding prices, and I find that overall their own brand is as good, if not better, than most name brands.

As a PP stated it's mostly groceries; they have some "special buys" which sometimes include cookware and a few random miscellaneous items -- a lot of times seasonal stuff.

They do not accept credit cards, just cash, debit cards, and the link or food stamp cards -- I'm not sure what they are called now.

There are tons of threads about Aldis -- you can do a search of Aldis, and read thru them to get a real good idea of what most of us buy there.

I shop there quite a bit because of their outstanding prices, and I find that overall their own brand is as good, if not better, than most name brands.

As a PP stated it's mostly groceries; they have some "special buys" which sometimes include cookware and a few random miscellaneous items -- a lot of times seasonal stuff.

They do not accept credit cards, just cash, debit cards, and the link or food stamp cards -- I'm not sure what they are called now.

As regards the bolded, I must disagree strongly. My experience has been just the opposite.

I keep trying, as so many people here seem to think it's the only way to go, but whenever I've shopped there, I've felt like I just threw my money away.
At first I thought it might be the individual store, but even after we moved, the Aldi's in our new town (in a different state) isn't any better.

We shop at Aldi all the time. That's where I get all my canned tomatoes, black beans, olives, baking supplies. Their cereal is hit or miss. I really like their version of honey bunches of oats and they have a breakfast harvest with cranberries that's really good. The chocolate is excellent, you'll never eat hershey's again after eating their chocolate. Produce is hit or miss, eggs at my store are 59 cents a dozen, milk is 99 cents a gallon. They have bagged salads (butter lettuce and spring mix) they are sometimes marked down to 99 cents. They have good prices on frozen veggies. I used to not like their half and half, it seemed watered down but they've changed it so now I get it there.

I don't really like their bread or their green tea. But they have a money back guarantee so I took the tea back with my receipt and got a refund.

I would definitely give them a try. You have to find out what your family likes and doesn't like and then it's so easy to shop there. Sometimes the lines look long, but they get you through very quickly.

I just went to aldis for my first time today. It's mostly their brand but so far so good their rice krispies are good their cheese puffs are good too. I got eggs for .89$ which is so cheap also oj for .99 they do not bag groceries also you need to bring a quarter for the cart. Overall not bad.

OP- I assume you are talking about the new one in Central Mass? Not only is Aldi opening this week, but Target's P-Fresh department is finished on Monday and S&S's new butcher shop is also opening this week (I get cheese, milk and deli meat there cheaper than the grocery store- not sure what the meat prices will be like.) I am officially in grocery heaven! :banana:

I keep trying, as so many people here seem to think it's the only way to go, but whenever I've shopped there, I've felt like I just threw my money away.
Not only did we throw our money away we got $300 stolen to top it off when thieves swapped out debit card scanners at the registers with ones that transmitted all of my wife's information to them. Aldis never even did anything about it they just put small notices near the exits with information on how to contact your bank.

We stop in one occasionally to get some vegetables and, oddly enough, tomato juice but normally we can do as well or better with sales at local markets. When we do go we pay cash.

I find that I spend more money there than if I were to shop at other stores with coupons for brand names. I do go there for pineapples or cantaloupe though. I don't like the smell in that store :(

I find that I spend more money there than if I were to shop at other stores with coupons for brand names. I do go there for pineapples or cantaloupe though. I don't like the smell in that store :(

When I was a kid my family raised cattle and would take them to be butchered. The smell at the butcher always made me nauseous and the smell at the one Aldi's I have visited was the same. I was hoping it was just that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter