tell me about 50's prime time

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by sazzifrazz, Nov 19, 2010.

1. sazzifrazz

sazzifrazz Mouseketeer

I have most of my ADR's planned but Im struggling with my final plan. I don't have a definate ADR for our DHS day. I have a lunch ADR at 50's prime time. Is it worth using dining credits? The menu for lunch is really limited...but is the food at least good? What meals are good there-meatloaf?
    Is the dinner better than lunch?

Would you do sci fi over 50's? I have a 4 yr old so entertainment during meals is key ;) I think he would like both of these, but I thought DH and my dad would geta chuckle out of 50's.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Roxychica7

Roxychica7 DIS Veteran

Never eaten at 50's before, but have eaten at Sci-Fi...the big screen with all the cool movie scenes may keep your little one more entertained...burgers are great there, we've always enjoyed Sci-Fi and I personally think the food has been better now than years past, and we've always gone for lunch and just paid out of pocket for it

From what I've heard of 50's, it's hit or miss with the waiter/waitress if they're fun and get into the act, but the pot roast is supposed to be awesome

4. Ro Z

Ro Z DIS Veteran

Prime Time food is very good. Huge sandwiches and salads at lunch. The fried chicken and pot roast are my fav's. The meatloaf not so much. They used to have a shrimp cocktail that my DH loved but it was gone when we ate there a couple weeks ago. Desserts are also good! Going back in 11 days and we will eat there again!
    Like the Sci Fi but the menu is very limited compared to PT IMO. I would stick with PT.

5. LaurenInWonderland11

LaurenInWonderland11 In a world of my own....

We love 50's Prime Time. We go every trip. We've always been lucky enough to have fun waiters/waitresses, but I must say that this past trip was our favorite time there. Our waitress was Cousin Theresa and she was hilarious! She had us all laughing the entire time :rotfl: She played a game with us (we had to name all the animated Disney films) She told us all about the famous people that have eaten there (The Jonas Brothers, Vanessa Hudgens, etc.) And she really played up the family member role. The atmosphere is wondeful, I love all the old timey T.Vs. And as far as the food goes, none of us has ever been dissapointed. My parents enjoy the pot roast, I know the chicken is really good. And despite what everyone usually says, I tried the meatloaf last time and to me, it was the best I've ever had. I've ordered it the past two trips and I for one, love it. And of course, we love the desert! I've only had the brownie but man is it good! It has all the great toppings. So yes, I would definitey recommend 50's Prime Time :thumbsup2

We've also eaten at Sci Fi a few years back. We really enjoyed the atmosphere, but weren't highly impressed with the food. To me, 50's is a better experience. But like I said, it's been a few years, the food at Sci Fi could be better :confused3

I hope this helps, and I hope you guys have a good vacation :wizard:

6. mwmom

mwmom 5th Time Disney Visitor

We just returned yesterday and ate at 50's Prime Time for the first time this week. I was a little nervous because I thought if the waiter went overboard, he/she might scare my daughter, but Keith was the perfect waiter. He read my daughter perfectly and knew just where to draw the line, but he spent time talking to her and making her feel comfortable. He went out of his way to make it a good experience. When she saw that someone at another table got a cupcake for their birthday, she asked if she could have one and he brought that out AND ice cream.

I had the pot roast and thought it was very tasty. My daughter had the hot dog, so it was nothing special, but she ate it so I was happy that she actually ate something.

Last time we ate at Hollywood and Vine and I thought the food at 50's was better than H&V.

7. mickeysbestfriend

mickeysbestfriend DIS Veteran

and as always the good was excellent. we had a conbination of dining plan and oop. My wife and sister had the fried chicken, I had the meat loaf and my brother and his wife had the steak. Everyont thought their food was fantastic. We even manager to stay out of trouble with our waitress for the most part but slipped up a couple of times and were repremanded...

Try it! You will love it!

8. cntrygal

cntrygal DIS Veteran

We love bothe and will be eating at both in the same day on our upcoming january trip

9. fzgards

fzgards Earning My Ears

Never eaten at 50's before

10. BlackPearl695

BlackPearl695 Mouseketeer

We loved 50s PT! Our waiter, Byron was so good with our boys. When we started talking about our next trip to WDW my 10 yr old said, "Mom, we have to go back and see Byron!" We will definitely go back. The food was really good and the service was awesome!

11. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

I'm glad to hear the both Sci Fi and 50's are getting some good feedback. I haven't eaten at either one for years, but I have lunch reservations for both next week.

12. OhThePain

OhThePain DIS Veteran

My girlfriend and I were not impressed with Sci-Fi. We are glad we did it because the atmosphere is worth checking out once, but once was enough for us for a while. As for 50's, this is where we usually go for lunch on our DHS day (we usually get there in the morning and are done shortly after lunch). Last time my girlfriend had a sandwich that she really enjoyed and I really liked my chicken potpie. We split a strawberry shake and 'smores for dessert which was great. When on the plan we usually end up using a TS credit for lunch here. However, there really isn't much $$$ value to use a credit on lunch, but in the end it is worth going to.

13. goofy4prez

goofy4prez A guy can love Disney and still keep his man card!

For me, I'm not overly crazy for either place on the dp. Between the two I would go with 50's PT. Sci-Fi has great theming but is ok for diner, I'll pass. 50's is a lot of fun, but I just have a hard time getting excited about pot roast, fried chicken, or meatloaf when on vacation. I have a tough time with this park for dinner and usually pass on it and eat at Epcot which is not far. But as you mentioned, you do have a 4 year old and I think they will enjoy either of your choices.

14. yarlenna

yarlenna Mouseketeer

As a child of the 50s (ok 40s), I felt very comfortable - like going home. I loved the food and the vib. It is the way I would love my grand kids see that era. :dance3:

15. walkdmc

walkdmc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

For a 4 yo, some of the movie clips at Sci Fi might be scary. That said, Sci Fi is my kids (9 and 6) favorite restaurant on property. I personally love it and would pick it over 50's PT. But, if you've never done 50's PT and don't know if you'll ever have another chance, I'd do it for sure. I love the decor and the PB Jelly shake and fried chicken. It's not healthy fare, but it's tasty! I do think it's worth the credits and if you're a party of 4, you'll most likely be seated in a TV table which is the coolest thing! If you had to choose one, I'd pick the Sci Fi, if you think your son will be okay with the giant sci fi monster clips.

16. DreamLiveLoveDisney

DreamLiveLoveDisney Mouseketeer

I LOVE 50's Prime Time! We had so much fun there on our last trip. The food was great, and I loved the atmosphere. Our waitress was very good, but didn't go overboard as I've heard of some others doing. My DH finished his whole meal, and the waitress put a sticker on his forehead that read "Member of the clean plate club". Other than character meals, 50's was definitely our most memorable meal.

17. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

We love the 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch on our HS day. On our last trip our waitress was hilarious and we had lots and lots of fun.
    I had the Fried Chicken and I thought it was great. DH loved the pot roast and the sundae for desert.
    I would go with the 50's.
    Have Fun

18. lucyem

lucyem DIS Veteran

Ate at Sci Fi in Feb. We had a great time. We had been warned to stick with basic hamburger and milkshakes there and we enjoyed the food. My 7 yr old freaked at the movie previews and asked to never go back :confused3. My 4 yr old LOVED the cars and enjoyed the whole experience. In the middle of a hot summer this is a fabulous place to cool down.

Ate at 50's PT in October. My mom walked in and said "gee it's like being at my grandparents house". She kept pointing at things and telling us who had had one :laughing: The food was more heavy, especially on a very hot day, but good. I stuck with a salad. Our waiter was very nice but absolutely no playing around with us which was a bummer. My now 8 yr old was perfectly happy with the tv clips and my now 5 yr old was fine as well.

I would go back to either one :)

19. LilGMom

LilGMom <font color=red>It makes me want to Kiss on the li

Given the choice between the two, 50s or Sci-Fi, I'd pick Sci-fi. Our two boys (5 & 9) have gone to Sci-Fi since before they could sit up by themselves and they have no issue with the movie clips. We used to point out the cheesiness of the older Sci-Fi films or try to find the wires holding up the spiders, etc. and they love the Tom & Jerry clips.

50s... the last time we ate there our server gave us absolutely zero interaction other than to take our order and then we saw her when she messed up our desserts and when she dropped the bill off. The food is ok but the portions have gotten quite a bit smaller than previous years and DH's pot roast was mostly fat.

20. Withacy

Withacy DIS Veteran

I go to both 50's PT & SF Drive In on every trip. Even back before the dining plan, when they were the only two TS I'd spring for on the whole trip. Of course, I'm not a super picky eater, so if food is your biggest concern, don't mind me.

I'll be eating at both - 2 weeks from tomorrow, as a matter of fact!

I've had waiters at 50's that were really into it, and some not so much. OK, the looped clips at Sci Fi is getting a little boring to me (how many times have I seen it now?!?!?) - but since I'm always there with different people who have never seen either place before, it's still fun. And it's as much about nostalgia as 50's - I went to the Drive In when I was a kid (in the 70's, during their last gasp) - and they even have those metal box speakers you put in the window. Really cool.

At 50's, I love the fried chicken, and at Sci Fi, I really love their Reuben.

21. BriarRosie

BriarRosie <font color=blue>Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:<br>Cl

50's Prime Time is one of the places I still enjoy going to after all the years I've been going to WDW.

I don't make myself the comfort food they serve, so it is a treat for me. I have ordered meatloaf and fried chicken meals, and I think the portion sizes are big. Especially the chicken meal!

Some servers get into the act more than others, and all servers will completely stop any antics if the guests are uncomfortable. Sometimes you'll see guests who want the interaction, but they end up with a "normal" server. It happens.

At least the food is pretty decent. ;)