Telescope or Binoculars?

Goofy39.3

Mouseketeer
I will be on the EBTA and am thinking about bringing a telescope or binoculars. I have no experience with either. I would like to use it with my DS5 for looking at the night sky and more Earthly sightseeing. Anybody who has done this have any good suggestions. I don't want to go too crazy, between $100 and $200. Size is obviously an issue also. Thank you in advance.

I have no experience with either binoculars or telescopes, but I will tell you that the ship is very brightly lit at night and I found star gazing (with the naked eye) very difficult.

We used several pairs of binoculars on our Pixar Pacific cruise - saw sea lions, whales, and dolphins! Great for port days too as we were coming in to dock. Kids loved it! Our rules: must wear strap and no leaning over the railing. Telescope might be difficult to pack and I've found cheap telescopes don't work well. Good luck!

I brought a Monocular on our last two cruises. Worked just as well as binoculars but much smaller and fit nicely in my backpack. Used it to look at things from the veranda as well as took it on land excursions.

For whatever this is worth, I did buy a pair of "nice" binoculars for our cruise next year. I thought about a telescope but figured the binoculars were much more useful. I doubt star gazing would be very fruitful at sea since there is constant motion either by the ship moving or the tides causing rocking. I cannot imagine being able to use it very well except perhaps at port, at night, but then there is going to be too much artificial light.

Go with binoculars.

DWF

I brought a Monocular on our last two cruises. Worked just as well as binoculars but much smaller and fit nicely in my backpack. Used it to look at things from the veranda as well as took it on land excursions.

Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh . . . and ye could use it as a prop at Pirate Night as well!

DWF

:rotfl2: That's funny. When I shopped on Amazon, they had several that looked like something a pirate would own - made from brass and collapsible, but the one I purchased was more sporting looking - no brass and not collapsible, about 5" long.

We brought two pairs of binoculars on our Alaskan trip -- both with specific specialties and they were invaluable. I will never travel without them again :thumbsup2

I lean toward a digital camera with a great zoom lens.... why not take the same amount of money and put it toward a permanent memory of what you see?

I lean toward a digital camera with a great zoom lens.... why not take the same amount of money and put it toward a permanent memory of what you see?

For the sheer enjoyment of observing nature, the optics, clarity, field of view, etc. of a good set of binoculars vastly exceeds anything you can do with a digital camera with long zoom. It is just a different experience altogther. You can sit on your verandah for hours with a binocular. Just my opinion.

DWF

We own a pair of Nikon binoculars, which are outstanding. But on the recommendation of my boss, who loves all things nature, he recommended the following:

Pentax Papilio Binoculars
by Pentax

Product Features
Size: 6.5 x 21mm-62215

No other binoculars like them on the market!
Ideally suited for viewing insects, birds, artwork or any other object at close ranges
C.L.O.S.E. (Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering) allows them to focus down to 1.6 feet
Tough rubber covered exterior provides a sure grip and protects the internal mechanisms
Revolutionary dual-axis, single body housing with synchronized eye-piece adjustment to assure correct optical alignment for comfortable viewing

And they are AMAZING. They not only give you the ability to zoom in on distant objects (like a grizzly on top of a mountain in Denali), but to zoom in on close objects like flowers, birds and butterflies, etc. without disturbing them and see all their beauty as if they were in the palm of your hand.

They sell for $129 on Amazon and got a five star rating from 28 reviews.

For the sheer enjoyment of observing nature, the optics, clarity, field of view, etc. of a good set of binoculars vastly exceeds anything you can do with a digital camera with long zoom. It is just a different experience altogther. You can sit on your verandah for hours with a binocular. Just my opinion.

DWF

Vastly exceeds may be... extreme. If you knew of what I'm referring you'd understand. I'm talking a good digital camera. It is a different experience and people posting are looking for opinions. All opinions, those that apply and those that don't, are all throughout the boards. :thumbsup2

We own a pair of Nikon binoculars, which are outstanding. But on the recommendation of my boss, who loves all things nature, he recommended the following:

Pentax Papilio Binoculars
by Pentax

Product Features
Size: 6.5 x 21mm-62215

No other binoculars like them on the market!
Ideally suited for viewing insects, birds, artwork or any other object at close ranges
C.L.O.S.E. (Convergent Lens Optical System Engineering) allows them to focus down to 1.6 feet
Tough rubber covered exterior provides a sure grip and protects the internal mechanisms
Revolutionary dual-axis, single body housing with synchronized eye-piece adjustment to assure correct optical alignment for comfortable viewing

And they are AMAZING. They not only give you the ability to zoom in on distant objects (like a grizzly on top of a mountain in Denali), but to zoom in on close objects like flowers, birds and butterflies, etc. without disturbing them and see all their beauty as if they were in the palm of your hand.

They sell for $129 on Amazon and got a five star rating from 28 reviews.

Sounds awesome! You're a good sell!

Vastly exceeds may be... extreme. If you knew of what I'm referring you'd understand. I'm talking a good digital camera. It is a different experience and people posting are looking for opinions. All opinions, those that apply and those that don't, are all throughout the boards. :thumbsup2

Sounds awesome! You're a good sell!

I did not intend to offend. However, I simply do not think there is much debate that for the use of observation, virtually all enthusiasts would choose binoculars over a digital camera with zoom. I would like to know which digital camera with long zoom you are inclined to use or recommend. I have bought several cameras with long zooms (i.e. one 12x, one 18x, one 20x) but none can hold a candle to a set of binoculars I bought recently. They certainly have their use (which is why I have bought them in the first place). I have wonderful photos from all around he world that could never have been managed without a long zoom. Nevertheless, I do not think you can duplicate the experience of looking through binoculars with either a digital viewfinder or small LCD that are usually found on those cameras.

Also, most "better" binoculars have sealed optics and can withstand quite a bit of turmoil as opposed to virtually all digital cameras with a long zoom.

Again, I would just love to pick up a new long zoom for the uses I am inclined to be involved. So, any recommendations would be appreciated with regard to one you think can provide a great alternative.

Thanks,

DWF

Here is a photo at full 18X of the Pope. Great use of a long zoom on a digital camera. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine trying to use that camera to observe dolphins, wildlife, birds, etc. Just does not compare in my opinion.

DWF

fullzoom.jpg

I have a camera with an amazing zoom and takes awesome pictures. But if I'm not taking a picture, I'd rather use the binoculars to observe nature. Less cumbersome and more manageable. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter