Telephone vent

KiminChicago

DIS Veteran
My son has just become a Tiger Cub Scout and two weeks ago at the pack meeting I signed him up to sell popcorn this weekend. The day after the pack meeting, he got an invitation to a birthday party on the same date, but I just realized this week when I rsvp'd that it is for the same time. Eddie really wants to sell popcorn, but the party is at Lazer Extreme, and it's for his best friend, so he really wants to go. So, I've been trying for 4 days to get a call in to the popcorn mom to reschedule. The problem is that I work days and so does she. I was told to try and call her in the evening but every time I try I get a mechanical voice telling me that "There is no one available to take your call. Thank you for calling, please try again later." I know I'm calling her home phone number -- she called and left a message on my machine letting me know that she was organizing the popcorn sale and asking me to call between 4 and 6. Since my husband and I both work, no one got the message until after 6. It was 6:30 when I called and got the mechanical voice again. I waited, hoping it would give me a chance to leave a message, but no dice.

I understand that people don't want to get phone calls from telemarketers, but wouldn't you think that if you volunteer to organize something, you would at least have an answering machine so people could leave you a message?

And yes, I realize that Eddie made a commitment to the popcorn sale and he does want to sell popcorn, but the birthday party is a one time thing and there are other days on which he could do the popcorn sale, so I don't feel bad about trying to reschedule since I was the one who made the commitment for the day and time, so please no flames! My husband feels that we have tried in good faith to let the popcorn mom know that Eddie wants to reschedule so it's not our problem anymore, but I feel terrible all the way around :(.

As a Cub Scout mom, my suggestion would be to try to get in touch with the CubMaster. He/She may have an alternate number for the popcorn mom.

No flames, here - and I'm the Mom of a teen Eagle Scout. Is your Pack not doing an individual popcorn sale?

If you have her address, I would drop a note in the mail in the morning to the Popcorn Kernel Colonel Mom and let her know that you have been trying without success to reach her via phone and explain that your son will have to reschedule his sale day.
You could also phone either your Tiger Den group leader or the Cubmaster and explain the situation to them as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Cubmaster right now -- the previous Cubmaster resigned and we haven't found a replacement yet. I tried calling the Popcorn "Kernel", but she's the one who directed me to the woman handling this weekend's sale. Eddie is selling individually but he really wanted to do the sale at the grocery store too.

Tonight is the Cub Scout roundup for new Scouts, I just hope she's there so I can give her the message in person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter