Teenage DD bringing a friend?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by bekkio, Jul 28, 2013.

1. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

I agree with this totally

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

I think that's true for things like a movie or a trip to Great America or a nearby water park. A full-blown vacation is a whole different animal. I know that for those of us who ask the other family to kick-in toward their child's expensive vacation don't particularly like being told that we are rude or the we don't have good manners. We are just trying to share our family's experience within our own economic constraints.
    Yup! That's the best way to do it if you are not paying for everything :thumbsup2.

4. kaseyC

kaseyC Mom to 3 lovely Princesses

We are cruising for our DDs 18th Birthday in January. She is inviting a friend. We will pay for everything... cruise, airfare, excursions and tips. Her parents have offered to pay a portion but we refused to accept anything because this is DD's 18th B-day gift as well. Honestly, we are in a suite that sleeps all 6 of us and the 3-6 pp rate was not too high. ;)

5. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

It used to be the norm that the bride's family would pay for everything, including hotel rooms for out of town guests and all the bridesmaid's gowns. Of course, in the olden days many weddings were small and there were no out of town guests and the bridesmaids were sisters or cousins. Now, everyone pays their own expenses and often a bridesmaid or best man will spend thousands to be in a wedding.

The OP proposed a split that I think was more than generous. As I said I paid for my daughter's air ticket and the family that invited her paid for everything else.

A group of us have kids who play on the same team. We do take other kids to out of town tournaments, and the host family pays for the hotels, gas, and set expenses, but the kids pay for their own meals and shopping. It's sort of an even exchange thing, as next time you may be the family who sends your daughter with another family. We don't try to make it entirely fair as some tournaments are 2 hours away and some 10, so the expenses are different.

Nancy

6. Four Swampers

Four Swampers Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Sounds very reasonable. On a related note, I have two teenage daughters who would love to be your daughter's friend!:cool1:

7. texasgirl29

texasgirl29 Mouseketeer

Not exactly the same, but my FIL and MIL have paid for our cruises since they have more disposable income and said they'd rather enjoy it with us now than later.

We pay for our own airfare, our hotel before/after, tips and excursions. Sometimes grandma and grandpa will help out even more by paying some of our daughters' expenses (airfare).

While it sounds like a "free" cruise, it's not because we still incur thousands in airfare, hotel, food, trips, excursions. It's really at the top of our budgeting.

Which is to say, it really depends on money. If you can pay her way completely, that would be nice, but she and her family would probably be very happy to have a "discounted" vacation.

8. daisydog2

daisydog2 Earning My Ears

I think the original OP is being very fair. We invited my brother in law and newphe on our next Dream trip. We made it clear from the get go that we would cover the cruise and the accomodations at DW after. we are not in a position that we could cover airfare/food/spending money. He was fine with that.. The way he saw it was that 1. If we didn't invite them, they wouldn't be able to ever go and 2. even though we can't pay for everything, we are covering the largest part of this trip.
    Our son is an only child and we have taken his friends on trips before and we always present it the same way... Then they have the option of accepting or not...

9. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

We let our son bring a friend along on our seven night eastern cruise. The only thing we had his parents pay for was airfare and extra spending money for souvenirs.

10. gumbypee

gumbypee DIS Veteran

It is perfectly fine to invite someone's kid on a huge vacation like this by prefacing it with the split. No biggie. You are being kind inviting their kid to spend memories with you.

11. "Got Disney"

"Got Disney" <font color=blue>They’re like Lays chips...just ca

How old is your daughter and her friend? Have you been on DCL before? My son brought a friend once we paid for everything...but that was because his family had no $$ at all....he asked if he could bring a friend this time I said no....but he makes friends the first day anyway and we never see him except for diner...

my son will be 17 for next years cruise...just graduating from HS.

12. mcolivieri98

mcolivieri98 Earning My Ears

I'm 15, and I'll be 16 on the cruise and my friend will be 15. This would be my 3rd, my mom's 4th, and my friend's 1st.

[QUOTE="Got Disney";49117298]How old is your daughter and her friend? Have you been on DCL before? My son brought a friend once we paid for everything...but that was because his family had no $$ at all....he asked if he could bring a friend this time I said no....but he makes friends the first day anyway and we never see him except for diner...

my son will be 17 for next years cruise...just graduating from HS.[/QUOTE]

13. Jaxs27

Jaxs27 Mouseketeer

IMO, if we invited a friend of one of our kids, we would expect to pay for everything. That's probably why we would never let them invite a friend. :rotfl2:

14. 4HppyCamprs

4HppyCamprs DIS Veteran

Agreed :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

15. lexysdad04

lexysdad04 Mouseketeer

When ever we invite a friend we pay for everything except extra spending money BUT if we buy our kids nick nacks along the way I also buy the friend the same thing just so they won't feel left out