Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report - 1,500 pictures, dining reviews, and DISmeets!

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by alan_renfroe, May 26, 2009.

1. alan_renfroe

alan_renfroe DIS Veteran

We were very excited about getting an 8:05am reservation at CP so we could get into the Magic Kingdom early! Unfortunately, the bus incident caused us to be much later than we wanted. That being said, we LOVED our breakfast at Crystal Palace!

Hahaha....thanks for humoring me on the bad pun! I was in a silly mood.

Review from our lunch at The Wave is on its way.

It was an awesome morning at MK! The only thing that was missing was Space Mountain. I hated that it was closed for refurb during this trip.

Hi Luis! I totally agree. The food and the character interaction was better than I expected. You gotta love Eeyore! You know how they have a Pal Mickey and he gives interesting tidbits about the parks? Well, Wil started doing an impression of what he called, "Pal Eeyore." It was Eeyore's melancholy voice giving upbeat park tidbits! It was hilarious!!!

That's funny that Eeyore is Valeria's favorite also. Juliana also has that plush Eeyore! She sleeps with it!

Thanks for the comments on the PhotoPass pictures. It's neat to capture such a happy moment in life!

In my opinion, the top five reasons would be:
    1 - rain, 2 - early morning, 3 - rain, 4 - Tuesday, 5 - rain

Thanks very much! It is easy to let bad weather get you down, but as long as you're at Disney World and you have low crowds, I say just make the best of it, right? Hope you get a chance to go to CP for breakfast. It was very, very good. I have now eaten at Tony's Town Square, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Crystal Palace....and I think CP would be my favorite. (Of course, it's hard to compare since the other places were not breakfast.)

BTMRR is actually more fun in the rain!

Let's see - Wil and I rode four times before going over to Splash Mountain. Elizabeth and Juliana had to go to the restroom after riding the first time, so when they got back they rode again with us on our fourth time. Then, while Wil and I were on Splash Mountain, the girls rode two more times. Finally, we all rode together one last time. Whew! That's a lot of BTMRR!

Hi Brook! Hope all is well with you and your family.

I think you guys would love CP for breakfast. Henry will get a kick out of the characters, and you guys will love the food.

The bus service from CSR was generally very good with this one exception. I truly think we did miss a Magic-Kingdom-bound bus because the destination was mislabeled or something. This seemed to have been an isolated incident. In the future, we will take the bus to the Magic Kingdom, but will probably drive to all other parks. It is just much faster when you can go directly to your vehicle.

Having an empty Magic Kingdom was like being a kid in a candy store! Woohoo!

YES!!! THAT'S HER! You all had the exact same server we did. Her name was Xeu, or something very close to that. She was very, very good. She made great suggestions and even got Juliana a replacement drink when she didn't like the drink she ordered. We really liked The Wave - it was just sad to see it so empty there.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. alan_renfroe

alan_renfroe DIS Veteran

I think we will try lunch at Crystal Palace next time. Last year, on our MK day, we ate at Liberty Tree Tavern. It was okay, but I like trying new things. This year, we decided to hop on the monorail and eat lunch at The Wave. It was very good! In fact, we may do that again!

The lobster, I think, is either 2.25 pounds or 2.5 pounds. It is a generous portion...and the flavor was delicious. I don't know if I could afford to eat here if we weren't on the dining plan, but it is certainly worth the 2 table service credits on the dining plan. OOOHhhh....you are making me hungry with that talk of lobster and chili lime butter!

We enjoyed The Wave also - there just wasn't a wave of people. We kept thinking, "where is everyone? This is freaky!"

Are your kids back in school yet?

Nice plug, Rosie!

Luis, we totally understand. I am still hopeful we can return to WDW next year, but with the restaurant and the fact that Juliana needs braces, we may not be back in 2010....but we'll see! It is ALWAYS a possiblity!

Best of luck with your new flat! It couldn't happen for a nicer family!

It really was a great morning! Review for the Wave is coming up next.

4. MagicShell

MagicShell DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear about your meal at the Wave. The restaurant looks very nice, and empty too. We are going to Chef Mickey's for the first time in Nov. I have never been to any of the restaurants in the Contemporary. I can't wait.

5. alan_renfroe

alan_renfroe DIS Veteran

It was just after noon on a Tuesday and we were seated immediately for our lunch at The Wave. We were shocked by how few people were here! Our server was Xeu, (I think that was her name,) and she was very pleasant. She brought our menus and took our drink orders.

[​IMG]

The kids started off with smoothies. Wil ordered the Supercharged Tropical Smoothie and I talked Juliana into ordering the Mega-Berry Smoothie.

[​IMG]

Juliana did NOT like her smoothie at all - and was regretting that she didn't order the same one Wil ordered.

[​IMG]

Our server was so great that she went out of her way to bring Juliana the Supercharged Tropical Smoothie. (I ended up drinking the Mega-Berry smoothie myself!)

[​IMG]

Did I mention how empty it was?

[​IMG]

Anyway, for my appetizer, I ordered the Pepper-Seared Tuna on Napa Cabbage Slaw and Chicken Spring Rolls. (This is suppose to be an appetizer for two, but I asked could the chef prepare it for a single person - and they said, "no problem!")

[​IMG]

How do I love the? Let me count the ways! Great appetizer! Now in all fairness, it wasn't as good as the ahi tuna at Yak & Yeti, but it was very, very good.

Elizabeth and Wil both ordered the Lump Crab Cake. It was very good!

[​IMG]

(I don't know why, but the rest of the pictures we made at lunch turned out to be blurry. Some setting must have accidentally been changed during the coarse of our meal. Anyway, I apologize for the bluriness.)

For my entree, I had the Reuben Sandwich. Classic lunch sandwich.

[​IMG]

It is hard to tell from this picture, but the sandwich was very large! In fact, Elizabeth and I could have shared this dish. She also order the Reuben.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wil got the Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger. HE LOVED IT!!!

[​IMG]

Juliana had the children's cheeseburger:

[​IMG]

Wil and I are already full - do we have to eat dessert?

[​IMG]

Uh....yeah we do!

I can't recall what all of these items are, or who ordered what, but it was good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, our lunch at The Wave was very good. In fact, it was one of Wil's favorites. I enjoyed leaving the Magic Kingdom to come over to the Contemporary on the monorail for lunch. We were all having a very nice day...but a nap was calling! We walked from the Contemporary back over to the bus stop at the Magic Kingdom, then took the bus back to Coronado Springs. When we got back, housekeeping was still in our room, so we had to wait outside.

[​IMG]

I really was a rainy, deary day - perfect for an afternoon nap!

Here was the view just outside our room:

[​IMG]

Coming up next - we split up for the evening! Guys go in one direction, and the girls in another!

6. ckdsnynt

ckdsnynt DIS Veteran

I have been gone for a few days and missed the action here! But I saw the Dumbo part and had to jump in and confess: as many times as I have been to WDW (probably 10?) and DL (probably 8?) I have never ridden Dumbo :sad2: Not as a child and not with my kids nor as an adult!:sad1: Where do I go to turn in my "I am a red-blooded, love everything Disney, American" card?

7. Leshaface

Leshaface DIS Veteran

That ahi looks so yummy!

I'm soo looking forward to checkin this place out on our trip!!

8. alan_renfroe

alan_renfroe DIS Veteran

After a much needed afternoon nap, it was time for us to split up and go our seperate ways for the afternoon. Elizabeth had scheduled Juliana for an appointment at Ivy Trellis to get her hair braided. (I can thank Cammie for this one! Ever since Juliana read her trip report, she just HAD to have her hair braided like Lauren's!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't she gorgeous?

[​IMG]

After the hair appointment, the girls had reservations for the Grand Floridian Tea. It was a great mother/daughter bonding thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the tea, Juliana ran into a familiar face!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She said, "Goofy tried to eat my head!"

[​IMG]

After a nice afternoon of mother/daughter bonding, Elizabeth and Juliana made their way back to the Magic Kingdom to meet back up with Wil and I.

Coming up next - some father/son bonding time! Wil and I go back to the Magic Kingdom for some rides and for dinner at Tony's Town Square.

9. crocko

crocko DVC Member

Guys and girls split up!

Awesome!!

I can't wait until our son/daughter are a bit older and we can have an afternoon/evening like that at Disney World.
    Look forward to hearing the guys' story!

10. TigerKat

TigerKat DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review of The Wave, we're really looking forward to it! Glad to know that appetizer for two can be ordered for one, it's calling my name.;)

Miss Juliana looked really gorgeous with that braided hair, you go girl!!!!!:thumbsup2

11. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Love the braids on Juliana! And glad her and mom got some time alone from you guys. :rotfl2:

12. dvc4life

dvc4life Disney is my Happy Place

How fun for Elizabeth and Juliana - love her braids. It would be fun to do something like that with my two girls. But, then Dad would be left out. Or maybe he would like it that way???? hmmmmmm.

13. Luis Rodriguez

Luis Rodriguez I'd rather be at Disney

Hi Alan!!

Liked Wil's concept of "Pal Eeyore"!! Just hearing about it made me laugh. He should sell that idea to Disney!!

Glad you liked The Wave!! That photo of Wil's Angus Cheeseburger just made my mouth water (and I have just gotten dinner!!). I agree that the desserts are very good. In fact, I found myself just wanting to order another round...

And those pastries at The Grand Floridian look just fabulous!

Regards,

Luis

14. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

We are doing a split day next monthe too !! I get the 3 kids Judy and Sandy get a night out!! Oh wait a minute that's called babysitting:lmao:

The kids picked WCC for our night out !!!!!

15. disneyfan61

disneyfan61 DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:Rosie you crack me up!!:lmao:

16. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

I know I am EVIL!!!!!:rotfl2:

17. Zdog

Zdog Mouseketeer

Thanks for the fantastic trip report! Just got back from a weeklong stay at the Wilderness Lodge, and while I've got a report written and waiting to go, I'm at odds over publishing photos to go along with it. :confused3 But I think seeing your family photos has gotten me to the point where I'm going to go for it. :thumbsup2You guys look like you had a WONDERFUL time!! Oh, and seeing your biz website makes me wish I lived in Alabama, since I LOVE Sabretts hot dogs.:lovestruc

18. serene56

serene56 DIS Veteran

I have a question regarding Julianna's braids- how was it taking them out?

19. Mysteria

Mysteria I guess the tag fairies wings were clipped.

Wow, I can't believe The Wave was so empty. Not a great sign for a new restaurant. Looked pretty good too.

Love the braids! :cool1:

20. swankybeth

swankybeth <font color=teal>Loves bubble tea!<br><font color=

Just found your tr (I know, I'm just a *little* late) and I'm all caught up. You have such a beautiful family and I'm enjoying reading about your adventures.

The hot dog restaurant sounds awesome, too bad I don't live closer to check it out. We love hot dogs, we even go on a 'hot dog tour' every year in New Jersey with some people from the roadfood forums. Lots of fun! :)

21. disneyfan61

disneyfan61 DIS Veteran

The Wave sounds like a great place to eat. May have to put that down on our list. Now that we can make ADR's 180 days out I really have to start planning!!:scared1: Julianna looks so cute with her hair braided. What a great idea:thumbsup2. Love the pic with her & Goofy trying to eat her head:)